Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Chocofreak13

the price you pay for shiny, my friend. :\
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

Whilest dumpster diving in the physics lab's recycling bins today to calm my nerves on finals, I found a PowerMac G4. While I don't have the tools to get this thing up and running at full power it is an excellent find! I will report back on its progress when I return home for the summer.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

Should I put Tiger or Leopard on it, I want classic but I also want to make iOS apps.

Nichi

Depends on which you want to do more. If you want Classic, you can't go any higher than Tiger. Now, if our resident Apple technician was here, he could offer greater advice

[turns on the Batsignal...except it's the Apple logo]

Krizonar

Has a summon

Leopard runs very well on G5 machines, but on G4 machines it tends to be slower than Tiger as Tiger lacked some of the 'new world' features Leopard introduced. I'd recommend Tiger for G4 machines unless it is a very fast G4 like a Mirrored Drive Doors model, which looks like this .

Goujer (she/her)

Funny it's a PowerMac G4 FW 800 so it would have plenty of juice to run Leopard.
I also have a triple booted eMac 700mhz with Tiger, Leopard and 9.2. Leopard actually runs pretty good on it.

Krizonar

That is among the most powerful G4 computers, so yup, should have no trouble at all!

As for the second, I believe my standards may just be high for that, as I felt even at 1ghz Leopard doesn't behave quite as it is supposed to and seems to not be at proper speed.

Nichi

The talk about Macs reminds me: I need a new keyboard for my MacBook (A few keys on it are completely dead), and maybe replace the screen, too (It has some flickering issues) -w-;

Goujer (she/her)

But holy crap that computer is heavy I carried it all the way from the physics lab to my dorm. Normally a 20 minute walk. My arms, shoulders and hands are all sore.

On the Leopard thing I do notice that Tiger is much much faster than Leopard, but my standards for speed are pretty slow.

Chocofreak13

dude, if you want hard walks involving macs, i used to go to an art school, and i heard a story one that one of my professors had heard about a girl who was walking through a park (next to Harvard) about 15 minutes from the dorms the school used. she found an imac in the path, guts splayed apart, as if someone had tossed it from a window. being a petite little thing, she couldn't get much leverage to carry it....so she took off her pants and slung it over her back, robber-style. managed to make it back to her dorm, put it together, and it was working perfectly.
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I salute that girl. For having the guts to take the Mac and the courage to do it in her underwear.

Nichi

Indeed. The closest I've come to that is getting an empty PC shell from a garage sale. I was on bike, so what do I do? I took off my belt and looped it through the case to form a handle, and then slowly ride home -w-