What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Only rabbit games I know of are the Reader Rabbit series. Assorted screenshots of one of the PC versions here.

I suppose I should probably run down all the names of members of my fleet -w-

- 2k-tan: Custom-built Windows 7 desktop, assembled in April 2011 (The name confused people on this site at first -w-; )
- Fuuka: Mac Mini running OSX Snow Leopard
- Eloise: HP desktop running Linux Mint
- Frankenstein V3: Semi-custom desktop built around remains of a circa '99 Dell desktop; runs Windows 2000 (Was designed for 98)
- Penti-chan: Desktop salvaged from storage closet when I worked at the hospital; originally running CCI Concurrent DOS, now running Windows 98SE
- The Yeti: Oldest surviving member of the fleet; bought new by my parents in 1996, originally shipped with Windows 3.1, but ran 95 for most of its life until I bumped it up to 98SE
- Twinkle: Amiga 500, rescued from the recycling place in 2012
- Asagi III: HP laptop running Windows 7
- Asagi II: MacBook running OSX Lion; purchased from a recycling place and rebuilt in March 2014
- Sonata: iBook G3 clamshell running OS9
- Flonne III: Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

Chocofreak13

it may have been one of the 5.1 versions; i remember the character model was very small. weirdly enough despite the semi-creepy buck teeth the original reader rabbit characters were kinda cute. :3

it was around the time that Who Framed Roger Rabbit? came out so i had always assumed it may have been a licensed game. i think the character may have been wearing Roger's outfit. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

5.1 is more our generation, anyway; it's the version I grew up on :3
(Also, possible on it being a Roger Rabbit game. I admit I'm not very familiar with licensed games on PC from that era beyond a handful of Star Wars titles -w-; )

Chocofreak13

mmm, i think it might have been. i also think i had a reader rabbit game when i was little, one of the 98 versions. :0
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I remember playing Reader Rabbit as a kid, I also played the Clue Finders and something called Zoombinis. All fun stuff!

Nichi

Never played Clue Finders. As a kid, these are the educational games I remember:

- Reader Rabbit 1 (As mentioned)
- Math Rabbit (We had it, but I could never get it to run)
- Reader Rabbit's Interactive Reading Journey (Was cool. It even came in an oversized box, holding physical copies of the 40-something short stories from the game)
- Grammar Rock (Was fun; have fond memories of the various mini-games, and it having all the related Schoolhouse Rock music videos in QuickTime format #TheFutureIsNow)
- Treasure Mountain (Classic. I came close to filling up the treasure room before the hard drive I had it installed on died...although I did experience some interesting corruptions beforehand)
- Challenge of the Ancient Empires (I still love this game, 20+ years later)

Chocofreak13

ZOOMBINIS

YAAAAAAAAAIS

(also childhood favourites included Math Blaster, some Algebra workshop game, Treasure Cove, Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Petz 3, Theme Hospital, and SimCopter.)
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I've said it before, but this was the first game I ever played: Hellcats over the Pacific.

Nichi

@Kari: I had the NES port of Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego. Never could figure it out, since I didn't have the manual -w-;

@Stew: Sounds like a game my dad would have liked :3

Other early PC games I remember playing were Eagle Eye Mysteries (Which the Phoenix Wright games reminded me of) and, of course, Hover! (As bundled with the CD-ROM edition of Windows 95)

LeaflameSD

boy am i relieved

retrieved a usb containing very important documents

Chocofreak13

@leaf: had that feel yesterday, bro. ><;
@pent: i had the 2-disk computer version. when you come here we should play it; it was pretty badass. -w-
@stew: coooooool. :0
SimCopter was a flight simulator but it wasn't nearly as EXTREME.
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I lived a sheltered life where my Parents thought that non educational games would turn me into a blood thirsty murderer. I did eventually get a GameCube and then the idea of playing a game on the computer was gone. I always wondered what this game called "Garry's Mod" was and why I could never find it at Gamestop for Gamecube or Wii.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I can happily say I have now joined the glorious PC master race. G-mod + Steam is the greatest.

Nichi

I remember when I wanted a  Gamecube more than anything...and initially hating it due to overhype :/
(I came back to it later and enjoyed the games on it)

Grew up with an N64, though. Love it -w-