What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

the only games i want are old and rare! it's so sad.... ;v;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I know that feel. I regret not buying Persona 2: Eternal Punishment when I found it for $35 a few years ago, as now I'm looking at paying $80+ for it (Given the spike in popularity thanks to Persona 4 and it's endless cash-in spin-offs, plus the influx of copies due to an '05 reprint have finally dried up, pushing both it and Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure back to where their prices were before the reprint)

Goujer (she/her)

I would like a Intel Mac so I can compile stuff for Mac OS X but for whatever reason every Mac even the PowerPC ones are overpriced compared to there PC counterparts.

Chocofreak13

*their (^^; )

that's always my biggest beef with macs, that you can get twice the power under the hood for the same price in a PC. :\

@pent: mmm, it makes wonder if it's worth it to want new games. :\

and, as i've always said, if you sell Tron Bonne i will personally come down there and kick you in the balls. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Older games are expensive, but if you keep your eyes out, sometimes you can find a steal. Also, some older games do get ports and rereleases for newer consoles; sometimes with no or minimal changes

...and depending on what system it's for, there's always the option of emulators, failing everything else >w>;
Honestly tempted to setup a PS1 emulator, download the ISO of Mega Man Legends 2, and finally play it through to completion; as I'm not exactly wanting to spend $80 on a game I felt was a weak follow-up to the first Mega Man Legends. Hell, I got more enjoyment out of the demo disc of MML2 that came with the Misadventures of Tron Bonne

Goujer (she/her)

What's fun is finding the command prompt commands for the emulators (with the games and consoles you own of course) and linking the games through shortcuts on Steam, you're friends will message you all the time asking how you're playing Pokemon XD or Shadow the Hedghog on PC.

Chocofreak13

WHOO

also Pent, if i ever did any type of LP stuff i'd be using nothing but ROMs anyway. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Lego: I did that to some of my friends a few months back, when I finally got the early alpha of Half-Life to run natively on Windows 7; which I labeled it as "Quarter-Life". It's worth noting the Steam overlay was functional -w-

@Kari: Indeed -w-

Goujer (she/her)

For whatever reason I can't run any of the old Valve games that came out in the 90s on Windows 7.

Nichi

Odd. Have you tried setting it to run using OpenGL? That's what I had to do for the first Half-Life (Steam version)

Goujer (she/her)

It's working! I can finally play Blue Shift and Opposing force!

Chocofreak13

nice, man. -w-

if that didn't work i was going to suggest hours of tweaking with compatibility mode. s'how i got a game built for 95 to run on 32-bit 7. :0
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I just wish I could play 16 bit games on 64 bit Windows.

Nichi

My only solution to that is to setup Virtualbox and run Windows 2000 or XP in it

Goujer (she/her)

Or I could go to my university reuse center and buy a Windows 3.1 computer. XD