Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Good idea with the literature section! I think it's important to keep track of those too!

I'm planting more stubs to be expanded later, starting with the mainframes because on the wiki, they've just been so overlooked!

Chocofreak13

i should start contributing.

hey bells, feel free to work on the species section, but shouldn't that be left till we've fleshed it out more? we dropped off of it pretty suddenly in the old thread. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Been planting more stubs, created articles for OS/360, NOS and TSOS.

Btw, what should we do with the Windows 7 article since I think it needs updating. It only says that Nanami is the 'official' Windows 7-tan, but wasn't that recently debunked? Also can't forget the many 7-tan designs out there! If it gets rewritten, she will still get a section of her own in the article since she was so influential, and polarizing!

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

That good. I could really use some help with that one. Should we include the most notable 7-tan designs, akin to what was done in the Vista article?

Just got two more stub articles up:

*Apple Newton

*Sinclair QL

Chocofreak13

i'm going to do that, but i'm actually going to include pictures of the 7-tans (there aren't as many as vista to my knowledge).

i might also update the vista article to include pictures.

also, does the wiki follow the same format as wikipedia? (i have the cheatsheet and i wanted to know if it was of any use. :\ )

EDIT: i can't edit the wiki ;___; i guess i don't have permission yet...
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on January 10, 2011, 01:20:12 PM
*Apple Newton
I'd like to point out that the Newton wasn't necessarily bad at handwriting (Inkwell is the refined version of the Newton's handwriting software) it's that Apple set the bar very very high (like recognizing 95% of all handwriting on the first sentence) and ,of course, didn't meet it; since the technology simply wasn't around. That made people's opinion of it go down since it wasn't as good as Apple promised, even though it was still rather advanced for the time.

Perhaps she could claim to be an expert writer but be only average at it :) that would not be a big change and could give her and some of the desktop Publishing Macs some family ties and open her up for some rivalries and character development.

Not wanting to intrude, just a suggestion  ;D

Aurora Borealis

@Choco:Yes, this wiki uses the same markup and codes as Wikipedia.

I've had to go to the help pages on Wikipedia to get help on formatting links and images, because the help pages on our wiki are too messed up.

@Krizo: Oops. I didn't know that! I'll revise that in her article!

Krizonar

I spent a lot of time constructing my message, because I didn't want to sound mean or commanding. Hopefully I didn't :)

W00T, I CONTRIBUTED!

Chocofreak13

good idea, krizo. :3 i'd make her arrogant about her penmanship, but never be able to live up to her claims. it could serve as a personal foil and a secret shame, which would deepen the character. :3 (that's just me though ^^; )

@aurora: any way to get me into editing the wiki? :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Krizonar

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 10, 2011, 02:21:18 PM
good idea, krizo. :3 i'd make her arrogant about her penmanship, but never be able to live up to her claims. it could serve as a personal foil and a secret shame, which would deepen the character. :3 (that's just me though ^^; )
I could definitely see that, she spent 6 years in training of the fine art of handwriting (...lol?), she is totally the best! mwhahaa!

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

i forget if it was this one or the annex project thread that i said i'd make the bio for freeDOS. but when i was poking around freeDOS's wikipedia page i found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DOS

should she be counted as a -tan or not? :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

If you have ideas for her design and personality, I think that could work.

At first when I read the article, I wasn't sure since 4DOS isn't an OS, just a component/command shell of DOS... But then again, couldn't something similar be said for the early Windows releases which were just a GUI over DOS? There was also a concept of BASH-tan somewhere too, so, why not?

4DOS-tan would affiliate with the DOSes, and did so for years, but lives as a wanderer now since her company doesn't allow 4DOS to be used or compiled with the other DOSes except for FreeDOS, meaning 4DOS's company presumablu imposed a restraining order on her that forbids her from affiliating with the DOSSE (or something), but FreeDOS-tan still visits with her. 4DOS-tan would also have ambivalent viewpoints because while 4DOS's source code is free and available, there are restrictions that disqualify it from being truly F/OSS.