Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Awesome! Her backstory section is the best, you did a great job describing the transition from UNIX's humble youth into monstrous industralist to Jerk With A Heart Of Gold to going back to her original roots!

Chocofreak13

@bella: in the description box, the latest stable release is "unknownk"

an-nd~
*moar applause*
click to make it bigger

Bella

Thanks Aurora, I sort of hate seeing Unix-sama characterized as a heartless monster so this is my way of doing a public service announcement. >>;;;

And I'll fix that typo Kari. -v-

VMS FTW

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/VMS

Also working on Linux's entry, URRRRRRGH.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Bella

Looks great Aurora! I like it! But why don't the avatars show up anymore? (I noticed this on most of the wiki articles...) :\

LINUX. Needs new infobox, avatar, I think we can all agree that Kami-Tux doesn't represent the character anymore. >>

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Linux

Aurora Borealis

I took down most of them. Some of the older avatars I made look awful, and I think even with the better ones, being limited to the 100x100 pix doesn't do the articles any justice, but those avis will still be used in the Annex Project.

Another excellent article! I think that with characters like her, who have had changes in appearance relating changes to her character in-story, we should add in pictures showing these different depictions.

Something I wondered about is the location of the OS-tan world, I've never thought of it taking place in the 'real world', but rather cyberspace, to explain things like how several of the LUC members live together though they're mainly from opposite sides of the US, etc. Maybe this could be another conjecture article, like with the OS-tan species thing?

Relating to this, I'd imagine Linux-tan as being born in an isolated, rural area going with that hypothesis.

Bella

Ah, I see. Speaking of a small image not doing the character justice, have you considered doing a section on each of the pages for links to artwork/stories/comics depicting the -tan in particular? That way people would be able to get a better idea of their appearances and personality. (I'd put it at the bottom, as per Wikipedia's link section).

Again, under the system I proposed -- you could have links showing examples of each of Linux-tan's designs.

I always imagined the OS-tan universe taking place in the "real world", albeit a very technologically advanced (bordering on magical) one. The LUC, for example, I imagine would have headquarters on the east and west coasts of the US, with other holdings all around the world -- while the Macs would, naturally, live in Cupertino, the Windows-tans in Redmond, etc -- the thing that sets Linux-tan, for example, so far apart is that she doesn't really have a hometown. By this reasoning she was born in Helsinki, but doesn't have a corporate HQ that she's attached to.

Sounds like a good topic for a Theory article though -- do you suppose we should sort the different theories by their "creators" or just have each one in its own section? IE, have one section call the Cyperspace Theory of OS-tans, another the Real World Geography Theory, etc...

Aurora Borealis

The real world theory confuses me because of the Binteeji Renmei, which has OS-tans from all over the US and UK, where would their faction be located? I had imagined there'd be a Windows Empire, Mac Kingdom, The Binteeji Renmei located somewhere presumably in a neutral territory, the Unix Nation (not sure if they'd be an empire anymore), etc.

Whether or not these theories should be separate articles depends on how long they end up being.

Edit: Yeah! That's what I had in mind for including multiple pictures! Like with Linux-tan, it will be easy to find good pictures for her, labeling one of her in a simple dress as her youngest self, those wearing the uniform that Juzo-Kun designed would be her in the late 90's-early 00's, and that awesome vector-drawn pic you made of Linux and Unix shows her present-day self.

Chocofreak13

discussing the theory makes me want to make a seperate topic for this, since we could debate this for weeks.

in my os-tan comiket, the world isn't really discussed (of course i only have 1 issue for right now) but maybe a sort of parallel-japan? all i know is that the main house was on a large compound (large house w/ yard). the macs lived nearby (walking distance) and i imagined the NT branch of the windows house wasn't too far either (Inu-t was at the main house, but i imagined she'd live with NT-tan.)
there was also a market nearby.
click to make it bigger

Bella

@Aurora: batshit as it sounds, I always considered the BR to sort of.... transcend the bounds of the physical world. (Which may or may not go in hand with my theory that the BR is an OS-tan stand-in for an afterlife, not to mention the BR's semi-inspiration Haibane Renmei). Either that or it's in California, which may contain the largest collection(s) of vintage computers on the planet. -w-

Chocofreak13

for a second there, i thought you were saying "its" as in "it is", like you were saying PDP's link was the second one. i think that's my cue to hit the sack. xD
click to make it bigger