Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Pitkin

Chocofreak13

when i'm feeling less lazy i might make more for the OSCers. -w-
click to make it bigger

Paul

@Kari: That drawing is so adorable <3

Finally, things at the company are getting huge! Got a look yesterday at the super-secret source code for the client/server apllications that control their robots. A whole day of going through sources, getting explained how everything works together (the head programmer here is terrific, that code is extremely clean written) I can't really tell you anything else about the code since I'm under an NDA, but the language bears enough similarities to Java that I didn't have many problems understanding the syntax.
Also today was quite a surprise. Originally I should've worked another day at the metal factory but when I got there in the morning my cousin told me that the IT guy had called and I should come to the software department.  I mentioned before that I was extremely interested in robots and stuff, turns out that they had two Lego Mindstorms NXT robots for their apprentices. They gave me a laptop, some books and a robot and I could spend the whole day making that robot do things (it's either programmed via a crappy GUI or a pretty standard C dialect - never did C before but still chose it since the book about the language was really well written).

TL;DR. Spent the awesome last two days looking at super-secret source code, studying two new programming languages and making little robots move around :D

Nichi

Sounds nice. I always wanted my own Lego Mindstorms set. Thing is, they cost like $500+ last I checked @_@

But, I always wanted to build and program my own little robots

Pitkin

Paul, now that sounds fantastic! I'm aware of at least a handful of people who'd just kill for a job like yours. x)

Chocofreak13

i know plenty. what a cool job. :0

thanks, btw. :3
click to make it bigger

Paul

Well, the first two weeks were a lot of hard work (painting stairs, angle-grinding the floor, moving metal parts...) but hey, now I'm even getting free lessons for PLC programming :D

Chocofreak13

you get to program robots. that alone is cool. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Seconded :3

Also, I'd love to have a job like that

SleepyD

Quote from: PentiumMMX on September 17, 2012, 05:30:04 PM
So, I just read something online that irritates me

Dunkin Donuts has hot apple cider now. Why can't there be a DD closer than the small handful in Dallas? ;_;
At least you have a DD chain. They up and moved out of California, to return in the future or something.

Quote from: Paul on September 18, 2012, 02:20:05 PM
Well, the first two weeks were a lot of hard work (painting stairs, angle-grinding the floor, moving metal parts...) but hey, now I'm even getting free lessons for PLC programming :D
Oh, I work at a company that deals with PLCs, but I never interact with them. I work on the software that monitors the output values from the PLCs and sends commands to them, so I don't really know how they work on the inside. If you have any handy reference material, I'd be interested.

Or actually, someone recommend me a beginners electronics kit. That might be more useful at this point. haha

Chocofreak13

connect potato to wire, wire to lightbulb, lightbulb to wire, wire to battery, battery to wire, wire to potato.

DONE. -w-

as for DD, well, i would imagine that the west coast gets its coffee fix from the native Starbucks. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on September 18, 2012, 10:55:52 AM

Ahhh! Thank you so much Kari, this has brightened my day. ^.^

I think I know what my next avatar is gonna be... :3

Chocofreak13

y-you'd actually use it for that!? i feel so honoured. ;v;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yay! ^_^

So, I'm going to ship out Bella's pony posters today