MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club!

Started by Bella, November 29, 2007, 11:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

*pops in real quick*

'Tis not as bad as it seems.  Just another one of those "me-and-my-tall-women" things again.  You'll see,... I hope.  ^^;

BTW, I'll be back later to cash out rainchecks.  ^___^'

*pops out*

Added after 7 hours 20 minutes:

*returns to bang head on wall several times*

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3725526

Bella

^ Oh shi-

Wait, I think I may have...messed up a calculation...

*continues to bang hand on calculator*

Ah, I see, I forgot to carry the 3! Did I say open source OS/2 in 19 years? Ahhhh, I meant, on a cold, wet day in hell!

I mean, WTF? They don't even know where the source code in question is?! How can they not know where it is. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the code was contained, like, inside the OS itself.

*looks for C-Chan's piece of suicide parsley...*

Tsubashi

QuoteI mean, WTF? They don't even know where the source code in question is?! How can they not know where it is. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the code was contained, like, inside the OS itself.

Well, just as programs must be compiled before use, so must operating systems. It would be a programming nightmare to try and write OS/2 directly in system or low-level object code.
So yes, the OS contains all the source, just not in the original High-level code that people can use.
That was my biggest fear... T_T
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

So all we can hope for now is for a group of superhackers to extract the code from the OS and totally ignore the legal processes, plus someone to screw around with the laws to make it legally opensourced as well.
GOOD GOING, IBM. -.-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Tsubashi

If only! You'd have to have a bunch of teams of superhackers decompile all the different builds, since I doubt all the options were ever compiled into a single OS. Good luck finding the builds, though.
-Tsu

Techno the fox

Huh? SD Slots?

Fu.....Fufufu...Fufufufu Aaahahahah...

Try my old giant the latitude C610 it has NO sd slots and only one USB port, it also has a PS/2 mouse/keyboard port, the port where it plugs into the charger (which has a strange short that I was going to get looked at, long story short it's loose and sometimes you have to wiggle the plug to get it to work) A serial port, a printer (bigger) serial port, and this strange plug that I'm not sure what it is.

Also, Pearl has this cute little port on her, while the RCA pearl is about 3-4 inches long, there's this TINY card slot called "Micro SD" just sooo cute.

The PSP NEEDS a memory stick, and you're pretty much marooned without one. You can't get Video, Pictures, and Music on it, you can't even save games without it...(luckily I bought one several months ago, and have been loving it since) But those little things 'ain't cheap...Try $50.00 for a small one..

On a positive note, I hear Elecbyte is still working on MUGEN. Perhaps a version with Online play lays in the near future?

Bella

QuoteWell, just as programs must be compiled before use, so must operating systems. It would be a programming nightmare to try and write OS/2 directly in system or low-level object code.
So yes, the OS contains all the source, just not in the original High-level code that people can use.
That was my biggest fear... T_T

Oh, I see. That sounds like one screwed up management department....how can they just have "lost it?"

I used to think IBM was just dragging their feet or had M$ badgering them not to, but now it seems they really couldn't open source OS/2 even if they wanted. But still....I can't help but think even if they could, they wouldn't (it could pose to big a threat to their other systems)...

QuoteSo all we can hope for now is for a group of superhackers to extract the code from the OS and totally ignore the legal processes, plus someone to screw around with the laws to make it legally opensourced as well.
GOOD GOING, IBM. -.-

Lawl...

You know, this situation makes me think of a wise saying I made up not ten seconds ago: if you don't want trouble, don't let M$ help build your OS -__-

QuoteTry my old giant the latitude C610 it has NO sd slots and only one USB port, it also has a PS/2 mouse/keyboard port, the port where it plugs into the charger (which has a strange short that I was going to get looked at, long story short it's loose and sometimes you have to wiggle the plug to get it to work) A serial port, a printer (bigger) serial port, and this strange plug that I'm not sure what it is.

Wow, no card slots? My computer's, like nearly 4 years old and has a whole bunch...

windowsgirl

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neptune: the OS that never was

Dos

"...and these children that you spit on,
as they try to change their worlds are
immune to your consultations.  They\'re
quite aware of what they\'re going through...
                                       - David Bowie"
Well it nice to meet now i have to go now
speak softly but carry a big stick

today is a summer service day, today is a summer service day, lets all go together to the blue blue sea, beach volleyball smashing watermelons it\'ll be so much fun we\'ll never leave. heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh" *head bobbles like an idiot*
believe in me, who believes in you

C-Chan

QuoteAh, I see, I forgot to carry the 3! Did I say open source OS/2 in 19 years? Ahhhh, I meant, on a cold, wet day in hell!

...................... @____@

INFERNO-CHAN!!!!!!!  I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >0<

Quote*looks for C-Chan's piece of suicide parsley...*

No way, I'm gonna need that.  ^0^
Here... take my cheap substitute....

*hands Bella piece of suicide lettuce*

QuoteIf only! You'd have to have a bunch of teams of superhackers decompile all the different builds, since I doubt all the options were ever compiled into a single OS. Good luck finding the builds, though.

QuoteOh, I see. That sounds like one screwed up management department....how can they just have "lost it?"

I used to think IBM was just dragging their feet or had M$ badgering them not to, but now it seems they really couldn't open source OS/2 even if they wanted. But still....I can't help but think even if they could, they wouldn't (it could pose to big a threat to their other systems)...

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!  ;^0^;
Those incompetent BASTARDS!!!!  No wonder they keep pushing Linux,... it's actually a PROPERLY DOCUMENTED system!!!!!!  Big Blue ends up being moronic to the bitter end!  T___T

*sigh*

Guess the only hope for OS/2-sama's future lies here then....

http://www.ecomstation.com/
http://www.osfree.org/doku/

*looks at status of both*

............Dear gawds.....  TT'

QuoteAlso, Pearl has this cute little port on her, while the RCA pearl is about 3-4 inches long, there's this TINY card slot called "Micro SD" just sooo cute.

Ah, I use those on my MP3 player all the time!  Too cute!  ^.^
Like a floppy disk that you could accidentally inhale.  ^v^

QuoteYou know, this situation makes me think of a wise saying I made up not ten seconds ago: if you don't want trouble, don't let M$ help build your OS -__-

........................... TT
Okay,... take the parsley.  I'll upgrade to the lavender.  T___T

QuoteWow, no card slots? My computer's, like nearly 4 years old and has a whole bunch...

In fairness to Techno-san, though, his Latitude is over 7 hears old at least (that is if I got the model right).  ^^'

Quotenice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely you mean this, no?  ^v^

Quotewow that very weird

I know... those IBM bastards do very weird things.  I'm almost glad they didn't directly make your sister PC-DOS; otherwise, who knows how screwed up she'd be (more than she is now)!  ^.^

Bella

Has anyone been following this buyout thing between M$ and Yahoo?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/05/microsoft.yahoo.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch

I'm glad they rejected the bid, I heard Google was just about begging them not to accept. Now it's getting quite hostile, though....

I really hope they don't buy Yahoo...cause, beside the huge, possibly harmful monopoly n' such...I'd have to change my email account (I'm coming, Gmail!), and that's never fun XD

C-Chan

I have, but figured it's not worth posting.  ^___^
I kinda expected the deal wouldn't fall through, which is good cause I can keep my Yahoo mail around for a while.  It's been with me for well almost 10 years.  ^__~

Not out of the woods yet on that, so keep your eyes peeled.  The deal reeks of desperation, and desperate people [particularly desperate RICH people] tend to do very stupid things.  -.-

Bella

QuoteI have, but figured it's not worth posting. ^___^
I kinda expected the deal wouldn't fall through, which is good cause I can keep my Yahoo mail around for a while. It's been with me for well almost 10 years. ^__~

Yeah, I've had my account since...well, since I first got an email account...

QuoteNot out of the woods yet on that, so keep your eyes peeled. The deal reeks of desperation, and desperate people [particularly desperate RICH people] tend to do very stupid things. -.-

I hear the deal was mostly Steve Ballmer's idea. That Ballmer dude really scares me O___O

C-Chan

I'd say he's like the Eisner of the computer world,... just not as warm and fuzzy.  ^^'

In other news, a weird curiosity:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2259191,00.asp

I DON'T like the idea of online storage, but I reckon if either the laptop or the $99 desktop model can be hacked to be standalone units.... '__'

Bella

QuoteI'd say he's like the Eisner of the computer world,... just not as warm and fuzzy. ^^'

XD

QuoteIn other news, a weird curiosity:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2259191,00.asp

I DON'T like the idea of online storage, but I reckon if either the laptop or the $99 desktop model can be hacked to be standalone units.... '__'

That is strange...I've always been wary of online backup services and stuff, too...

Out of curiosity....I dunno if this is a good place to ask, but has anyone here ever given Syllable OS a try?