MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club!

Started by Bella, November 29, 2007, 11:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

QuoteOut of curiosity....I dunno if this is a good place to ask, but has anyone here ever given Syllable OS a try?

Not really, although now that I look at the page (and the one from AtheOS) it does look vaguely interesting.  Other than that, only Kami-Tux ever really paid attention to it before.  ^____^'

In other news, I am sad because I'm not part of the early shipments of this.... ;____;

http://www.zareason.com/shop/skin1/pages/US/cloudbook.html

That, and they switched to Gnome..... ;______;

*sniffles*

And and and......

Reviews are mixed........... ;__________;

http://blog.laptopmag.com/everex-cloudbook-mini-review-verdict-needs-more-time-in-the-oven

*weeps*

I need either a hug, or a good slapping......................  ;~;

*curls into ball*

Added after 27 minutes:

Oh, and just to end the day on a [sarcasm]HAPPY NOTE[/sarcasm]!!!!!  ^V^

SCO is back.  ^^;

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62037847,00.htm

Oh, and...... yeah....... like........... I wouldn't really follow the money trail if I were you.  ^^;

Aside from a bunch of nightmarish people............... there's some M$ and Gates mixed in there too.  -v-;

Quite the talk of the town over at Groklaw....

http://www.groklaw.net/

Bella

And Syllable is, supposedly....Amiga-like-ish!!! Whatever that means :P

As for the cloudbooks, I don't know if it's good or bad that they switched to GNOME...I like GNOME, but Enlightenment has a bit more...eye candy...and uses less memory, right?

And oh noes! Not fiaSCO again!

C-Chan

QuoteAnd Syllable is, supposedly....Amiga-like-ish!!! Whatever that means :P

It means perfection.  ^.^

QuoteAs for the cloudbooks, I don't know if it's good or bad that they switched to GNOME...I like GNOME, but Enlightenment has a bit more...eye candy...and uses less memory, right?

Right.... ;________;

*cries and weeps*

In fairness, the Cloudbook has a full 30GB hard drive, so I could probably install anything else I want on it.  But considering I already have an EeePC, and EeePCLinuxOS already makes it highly usable, configurable and frees up a full 3GB of storage for me.... then there's really less of a point for me to look into the Cloudbook.

Might give me more incentive to wait for the Devbook instead.  ;___;

QuoteAnd oh noes! Not fiaSCO again!

Now with 50% MORE criminal elements behind.  ^________^

What fun!  ^o^

-----------------

In genkier news, here's something that merits a nice big "WTF"!!!  @v@

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article3374812.ece

A £99 laptop?!!!!  In Britain?!!!!  Has hell frozen over?!!!!!!  @@'

C-Chan

*C-chan cries, wails and bitches*

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!  >0<

http://jamfish728.blogspot.com/2008/02/highlightsfirst-24-hours-with-cloudbook.html

Should've known Everex would've found ways to screw things up.... T__T

Well no matter,....

Equipped with EeePCLOS -- which I'm actually helping to make awesome by the second... *giddy laughter*... my EeePC's practically a full-fledged laptop with a 7 inch screen!  ^.^

Bella

^ Well, it still sounds good for something so tiny. But I'm still sure if I were going to buy a new laptop, I'd go for the gBook...I just don't think I could adjust to such a little computer as the CloudBook. Then again I use my laptops mostly as desktop replacements....

As for EeePCLOS...I've wondered...would there be any plans to approach  
Asus to offer it on their computers...? Or is that still too far off?

NejinOniwa

My cousin is going down to France for the holiday (yes, we have a completely unrelated, state-made 1 week break in the middle of february for no reason ^_^ ) and he's going to see if he can get his hands on an EeePC. Any tips, oh almighty pig?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

No wai! We here in New England are on a week-long winter vacation too.

Smokey

Quote from: "Bella"No, what I dislike is the notion that "just because it's the newest OS, it's the best" or "just because it comes with 95% of new PCs it must be better than (insert lesser known/older OS)"

That's why I (and the smart sys-admins with me) always wait a couple of years before using a product so the bugs can be solved or the whole thing can be proven useless (the only good newest thing is the newest virus-definition download for your antiVir program)

BTW I cant help but think that Vista is XP with loads of eyecandy and that MS released it because they hadn't released a new OS for a long time (thus proving that XP is quite fine)....

Kinda like the screen from page one though (sorry for not remembering who posted it, But respect for playing SC4 and RoN) but that could be added to XP as well with a simple add-on/service-pack....

Sorry btw for not reading the whole topic but I was dying to say this :D
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

C-Chan

Quote^ Well, it still sounds good for something so tiny. But I'm still sure if I were going to buy a new laptop, I'd go for the gBook...I just don't think I could adjust to such a little computer as the CloudBook. Then again I use my laptops mostly as desktop replacements....

*sigh* I've lost my confidence with gOS, but hopefully Everex will use the following weeks to fix up their veritable rush job.  Sadly, ZaReason has dropped the Cloudbook and the gPC, so unless I can get them somewhere else besides Walmart, I'll be an EeePC promoter only for a while.  Not a bad thing, considering how involved I've been in making the hardware really fly.  -v-

QuoteAs for EeePCLOS...I've wondered...would there be any plans to approach
Asus to offer it on their computers...? Or is that still too far off?

BWAHAHAHA!!!  ^V^

Let's just say that "birds of a feather flock together".  ^_____^'

Ever noticed how corporate computer manufacturers stick to corporate Linux distros?  Be it Novell SUSE, Ubuntu, Mandriva or in this case Xandros?  I guess you can say they all understand one another.  ^.^

Besides, I doubt that'd be much in line with the philosophy of PCLinuxOS, and I for one don't mind that.  Community distros are always better featured than corporate ones, and ironically more adherent to licensing.  

There is, however, a small business remaster of PCLinuxOS called (unoriginally) PCLinuxOS Business, and PCLOS has made some inroads in education, where free and community-based is a little more tolerated.  I read not long ago about schools in the Philippines and Vietnam that have adopted PCLOS in their classroom machines, and are actively helping with regional translations (Tagalog and Vietnamese respectively).

Might be a bit melodramatic, but education seems like a more worthwhile endeavor.  ^^

QuoteMy cousin is going down to France for the holiday (yes, we have a completely unrelated, state-made 1 week break in the middle of february for no reason  ) and he's going to see if he can get his hands on an EeePC. Any tips, oh almighty pig?

In France, they offer the "3G" offer described here:

http://www.pimpmyumpc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=9

Very likely not worth it since your friend is only there for a week or so.  But at the very least we know that they do sell the 4G model, which is the standard one that includes the 4GB SSD drive, 3.5 hour battery, and webcam.  

It's unlikely they'll have the 2G model, but even so it's not worth getting one with those Euro prices.  Besides, that'd only be cool if you're friend's a hacker who can get the most out of the 2GB storage space.  

8G models are very rare due to manufacturing problems, but are the only EeePC models that can hold a "normal" install of most modern Linux distros as well as Windows XP.  You can fit Windows XP into a 4G (or at least an SD card on it) using NLite to make it faster and more usable on the limited hardware -- but bear in mind that that would be a breach of the Windows XP EULA.  ^^;

Not sure what else you need to know, so I'll try to stop by when I can to answer more questions you may have.

QuoteNo wai! We here in New England are on a week-long winter vacation too.

You guys are lucky.  I want a vacation also!  ^o^

QuoteThat's why I (and the smart sys-admins with me) always wait a couple of years before using a product so the bugs can be solved or the whole thing can be proven useless (the only good newest thing is the newest virus-definition download for your antiVir program)

BTW I cant help but think that Vista is XP with loads of eyecandy and that MS released it because they hadn't released a new OS for a long time (thus proving that XP is quite fine)....

Plus as Nejin-san showed me,... with the right kind of plugins and themes, you can make XP look and function like Vista.  

Although the fact that Vista is rather beta-like probably doesn't phase me as much as the forced-upgrade apect of their marketing campaign.

QuoteKinda like the screen from page one though (sorry for not remembering who posted it, But respect for playing SC4 and RoN) but that could be added to XP as well with a simple add-on/service-pack....

Which screen might you be referring to?  'v'

Smokey

I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

C-Chan

Aaaa sou. -v-

Yeah, you can use a plugin to use that in XP like you said.  
I actually have something very similar in Compiz Fusion, but I rarely use it.  Unless I'm viewing multiple documents (which I usually don't), I want my Alt+Tabbing to be instantaneous (although the Ring Switcher isn't as bad).  

Incidentally, a little bird dropped me this link over the weekend.  Funny as hell,....  -.-

http://blip.tv/file/340692/

Bella

Quote*sigh* I've lost my confidence with gOS, but hopefully Everex will use the following weeks to fix up their veritable rush job. Sadly, ZaReason has dropped the Cloudbook and the gPC, so unless I can get them somewhere else besides Walmart, I'll be an EeePC promoter only for a while. Not a bad thing, considering how involved I've been in making the hardware really fly. -v-

gOS freaked me out ever since I saw that HUGE Google search bar in the middle of the screen O__o

If I were to get a gBook, it'd probably end up with another OS installed...

QuoteEver noticed how corporate computer manufacturers stick to corporate Linux distros? Be it Novell SUSE, Ubuntu, Mandriva or in this case Xandros? I guess you can say they all understand one another. ^.^

That's what I was kinda thinking....

But I always thought Canonical at least didn't consort with M$ like Novell, Xandros Incorporated and Mandriva do...at least I really hope not O___O

QuoteBesides, I doubt that'd be much in line with the philosophy of PCLinuxOS, and I for one don't mind that. Community distros are always better featured than corporate ones, and ironically more adherent to licensing.

There is, however, a small business remaster of PCLinuxOS called (unoriginally) PCLinuxOS Business, and PCLOS has made some inroads in education, where free and community-based is a little more tolerated. I read not long ago about schools in the Philippines and Vietnam that have adopted PCLOS in their classroom machines, and are actively helping with regional translations (Tagalog and Vietnamese respectively).

Might be a bit melodramatic, but education seems like a more worthwhile endeavor. ^^

I guess I've liked Ubuntu (a more commercial distro) mostly because it has a very beginner-friendly reputation and has worked perfectly well for me...

That said, I might come around to the more off-the-beaten-path distros, (what am I saying, I started out with those...Puppy, Zenwalk [which I really like], SAM...), but I do think that they were more...I won't say difficult...but less moron-proof. And I kinda like knowing I'm using an OS that millions of other people also use.

But that's certainly not to say I don't have my adventurous side...

QuoteYou guys are lucky. I want a vacation also! ^o^

No, you work, while we New Englanders and Scandinavians go out and romp in the snow!

QuoteAlthough the fact that Vista is rather beta-like probably doesn't phase me as much as the forced-upgrade apect of their marketing campaign.

I agree x10!!!

QuoteIncidentally, a little bird dropped me this link over the weekend. Funny as hell,.... -.-

LOL! Nice find XD

Speaking of which, a friend recently got a Vista computer as a gift. The gift-giver tossed around getting an XP machine, a gPC or even a Mac, mind you, and even wanted to avoid using Vista, but the Vista computer was the only one that would suit the recipient's needs.

Anyhow, the thing's been giving him grief from the start; he can't even get it to go online. So he calls me for help, but I'm lost too. I just had to come out and say, "I don't know, I never had to do this with XP"...

Oi...

NejinOniwa

QuoteI guess I've liked Ubuntu (a more commercial distro) mostly because it has a very beginner-friendly reputation and has worked perfectly well for me...

That said, I might come around to the more off-the-beaten-path distros, (what am I saying, I started out with those...Puppy, Zenwalk [which I really like], SAM...), but I do think that they were more...I won't say difficult...but less moron-proof. And I kinda like knowing I'm using an OS that millions of other people also use.
Hm.
I've always thought the other way - since I've always used XP as my primary OS and haven't gotten any real thoughts about switching, I've always found the more off-path Linuces and stuff more attractive. Ah well, I guess that's because of me+XP=<3...
Although the fact that Vista is rather beta-like probably doesn't phase me as much as the forced-upgrade apect of their marketing campaign.
I agree x10!
On a related topic, I agree...DX10. -w-

QuoteNo, you work, while we New Englanders and Scandinavians go out and romp in the snow!
Snow? What snow!? Even here on the 60:th latitude there's not a SINGLE DAMN PIECE OF FROST, DAMNIT! FUKKING GLOBAL WARMING CRAPSHIT! KILL YOURSELVES!!!

*pant pant*
GUH. Hell, I even went skiing and besides the prepared snow on the slopes, it was +6 DEGREES CELSIUS AND NO SNOW WHATSOEVER. Also bad rides. Hell, I hate this crap...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

Quote from: "C-Chan"Incidentally, a little bird dropped me this link over the weekend.  Funny as hell,....  -.-

There's only ten characters that can describe that:  OMG ROFLMAO!
Thanks Fedora-sama

C-Chan

QuoteThat's what I was kinda thinking....

But I always thought Canonical at least didn't consort with M$ like Novell, Xandros Incorporated and Mandriva do...at least I really hope not O___O

Oooh,... don't lump Mandriva in with those bastardly types.  @___@
See their response to M$ patent-protection fraud:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39287672,00.htm

Might help that they're based in France (and Canonical in South Africa), except for RedHat, all the other companies that caved in were,... sadly,......... let's just say they're "neighbors" to M$, and thus far more susceptible to be cowed by silly software patents, or at least the cost of litigation thereof.  ^__________^;

QuoteI guess I've liked Ubuntu (a more commercial distro) mostly because it has a very beginner-friendly reputation and has worked perfectly well for me...

But that's certainly not to say I don't have my adventurous side...

Ubuntu is as great as it is because it was started by a true philanthropist Mark Shuttleworth, who COULD'VE used his newfound millions to do any matter of selfish thing, but instead used it to promote FOSS software and greater user control over their computers, thus establish himself as a kind of anti-Bill Gates.  In other words, this was a moral venture.

Sadly, Canonical is still a company, and can't pay the bills on shear morality alone (they could try, but would probably fail).  Unless one can change the way business is conducted, I fear the day may come when they have to ditch the Desktop market in favor of the more lucrative Server market (RedHat's arena), or barring that will have to convert Ubuntu into a paid OS, and hence open a veritable can of worms (although the dual model seems to work for Mandriva).

Another great irony is that companies (or at least most Western companies) tend to be models of "inefficient efficiency", and that has sadly bled through into the *Buntus in recent releases.  Compared to the more stable 6.x's, the 7.x's were released with many bugs, and careless updates that could break a system beyond easy repair.  In addition to that, they also use a lot of nonfree or at least questionably-free software -- many feel, for example, that programs that are written in Mono (a kind of open-source  .NET with a shady history) are essentially trojan horses for M$ patent persecution. Aas in, "OOH LOOK!! They're using proprietary M$ code that we secretly injected into the open source community to litigate it later!  Get 'em!!" (incidentally, Gobuntu addresses this by being all free software-based,... but then again it's really only Debian with a stranger name...  ^___^;)

I'm glad to see that 8.04 will be another LTS, and hopefully they can stamp out or address some of these issues.  I'd love it if I were wrong about them, but I'm sure you can understand if I'm always cautious about people pursuing some kind of Bottom Line.  ^^;

QuoteNo, you work, while we New Englanders and Scandinavians go out and romp in the snow!

Awww shucks.  ;___;

QuoteSpeaking of which, a friend recently got a Vista computer as a gift. The gift-giver tossed around getting an XP machine, a gPC or even a Mac, mind you, and even wanted to avoid using Vista, but the Vista computer was the only one that would suit the recipient's needs.

Anyhow, the thing's been giving him grief from the start; he can't even get it to go online. So he calls me for help, but I'm lost too. I just had to come out and say, "I don't know, I never had to do this with XP"...

How long will you give it before he installs something else on that machine?  ^____^;

QuoteSnow? What snow!? Even here on the 60:th latitude there's not a SINGLE DAMN PIECE OF FROST, DAMNIT! [expletive] GLOBAL WARMING CRAP[expletive]! KILL YOURSELVES!!!

*pant pant*
GUH. Hell, I even went skiing and besides the prepared snow on the slopes, it was +6 DEGREES CELSIUS AND NO SNOW WHATSOEVER. Also bad rides. Hell, I hate this crap...

Poor Nejin-san seems to be having it rough up there too.  ^^;
Yeah, I'm not getting much snow,... only LOTS and LOTS of rain.  -____-;

QuoteThere's only ten characters that can describe that: OMG ROFLMAO!

Welcome to the club.  ^^;