Main Menu

old-tan?

Started by Chocofreak13, September 26, 2008, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

hmmm. the main os-tans spoken of are from the 90's on. (i said main, if 3.1 tan is from the 80's PUH-LEEZE don't errorbomb me.)

there WERE os's earlier, y'know.

i'm gonna make some! <3
hope they come out ok.......(sorry, nervous since i don't really have friends here)
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

There are already a lot of OS-tans from the 80's and earlier, but I'm happy that you are interested in the older OS-tans too, and even willing to create your own! :D

BTW, do you have a favorite vintage (pre-90's) OS or computer?

I'm listing this all from memory, but the pre-90's OS-tans (also includes some home computer-tans which blur the line between OS-tan and hardware-tan!):

--1980's--
MS DOS-tan, PC DOS-tan, Windows 1.0-tan, Windows 2.0-tan, OS/2-tan, Pilot OS-tan, QNX-tan, Solaris-tan, OS-9-tan, Apple Lisa-tan; the Macintosh System 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6-tans, A/UX-tan, GS/OS-tan, Amiga-tan, Atari TOS/Atari ST-tan, GEM-tan, ORIC-tan, Commodore VIC20-tan, C64-tan, C128-tan, C65-tan, Coleco Adam-tan, QDOS-tan, ZX Spectrum-tan, Visi On-tan, RISC OS-tan, Ultrix-san

--1970's--
VMS-san, Apple II-tan, Commodore PET-tan, Atari DOS-tan, MITS Altair 8800-tan, IMSAI 8080-tan, Apple I-tan, DR DOS-tan, RSTS-san, Xenix-san

--1960's--
Multics-sama, Unix-sama, GECOS-san, CTSS-sama, ITS-san, RT-11 (?), RSX-11(?), WAITS-san

--1950's--
GM OS-sama (the oldest actual OS-tan, released in 1955!), GENIAC-chan (considered the second oldest personal computer!), EXEC-sama (who is actually the oldest OS-tan character, EXEC was first released in 1962 but EXEC-sama also represents the whole UNIVAC line of computers that EXEC runs on, dating all the way back to 1951)

Chocofreak13

damn! all of them have already been taken. (well, actually, i did find one that's not on the list. but i'm not saying it, for fear that someone will come out with it before me. >_<)
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

That doesn't mean that you can't draw existing characters. But it is cool that you want to create vintage OS-tans!

C-Chan

Yep, I concur with the integrity of that list -- although with the Gallery and the Wiki pretty much offline UFN (=Until Further Notice), it'll be hard to "lurk m0ar" in order to see how they look like.  

Best bet, if you'd like to check out some vintage-tans, is to rummage through the OS-tan fan-fics, Comics and fan-stuff, although granted you're talking about THOUSANDS of posts to skim through.  ^^;

The Mini Midnight Madness thread, though, is a good primer (as it has an index) even though all the OS-tans featured are in "Mini" form (not quite the same as "chibi").  ^^'

http://ostan-collections.net/topic-798.html

Aurora Borealis

Now I'm inspired to make some vintage OS-tan minis! I have a few in the works already!

Razgriz1

Slightly offtopic, but ontopic at the same time, I think.

This is just a curiousity question: Would Windows 1.0 be simply called "Windows-Tan?"  Asking because as far as I know the original version is just called "Microsoft Windows," not "Windows 1."  Just wondering, thanks ^^.

Aurora Borealis

^She is known as Windows 1.0-tan, despite the original Windows OS not getting designated as "Windows 1.0" until after 2.0's release.

Razgriz1

Aurora Borealis, thank you for clearing that up for me.

stewartsage

I hate to commit thread necromancy, but what about the Air Force's SAGE?

Aurora Borealis

Siya made a concept sketch of SAGE-tan:

She's depicted as a blind woman in a military uniform, with a very decorated overcoat. She also wields a rocket launcher and other huge guns!

stewartsage

Sweet! I didn't know she'd already been done, but glad to see someone thought of her.

NejinOniwa

Most things are thought of by somebody.

That is a quite calming thought, in one perspective...

...but when you realize it's the INTERNET, it's not so much so anymore. -.-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

Yes, truly it is a double edged sword. On one hand it makes research easy, on the other hand: Rule 34.

Chocofreak13

you took the words straight out of my mouth.

come to think of it, i never did submit that tan i had in the works....
i should go back to her eventually.
click to make it bigger