MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club!

Started by Bella, November 29, 2007, 11:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

QuoteYou're saying that you suddenly loving Macs wouldn't be a BIG, HOLYSHIMUIFAGRAWHGTHEHELLISTHAT thing? Cause I'm pretty sure a news like that would suddenly make me sprout wings. ^^'
Well, I guess. Then again, me liking Mac is almost as improbable as me liking Vistaids, so....yeah, good luck with that ^-^;

QuoteNejin is an alien?...

BRING OUT THE PREDATORS!!
You're wrong...I AM THE PREDATOR. RESITANCE IS FUTILE. =W=
QuoteBecause you would have the MAC for when the WINDOWS machine failed, duh [eyeroll\]

No really, I was just messing around. I know you'd rather sell your left arm than use a Mac
Thank you for your understanding, Bella-hime.

QuoteI realized you Europeans were quite technically ahead of the rest of us, but wow! Good luck with that!

BWO-HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's right, lowly humans! WE STAND ABOVE YOU AND YOUR PUNY ECONOMY! BOW DOWN TO THE MOTHERLAND! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!
*gets swatted by flagpole*
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

QuoteWell, I guess. Then again, me liking Mac is almost as improbable as me liking Vistaids, so....yeah, good luck with that ^-^;

But still, Mac is the lesser of two evils you gotta admit :P

QuoteBWO-HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's right, lowly humans! WE STAND ABOVE YOU AND YOUR PUNY ECONOMY! BOW DOWN TO THE MOTHERLAND! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!

Hey don't look at me, if things get much worse here I'm considering moving to Denmark (aka the Happiest Place On Earth). ^^

Anyhow...
...I'm wondering why my computer can't download BitTorrents. I'm using uTorrent, it says my port is properly forwarded, and the torrents in question have a fairly large pool of peers and seeds, and my dowload speed is nearly 7700 kb/s. But I can't connect to any of the seeds or peers, and there's zero availability. In short, it just won't download anything. Any ideas?

Added after 1 minutes:

Nevermind. I just checked back, and it's connected--and I only have an ETA of one week, which is better than infinity at any rate. Woo!

Added after 32 seconds:

No, now it's an ETA of 13 hours...

Added after 30 seconds:

...and now it's 8 hours...

IanDanKilmaster

After 17hrs on 3 different buses, IDK's finally bringing the awesomeness to Texas, but only in half-capacity (i.e. without Linux :( ).  So I couldn't figure out how to get Puppy on a flash drive (tested multiple installs on my own computer... none worked).  I brought some LiveCDs with me, but haven't used them... I fear the slowness.  So now I'm running Portable Fx on my brother's obviously illegitimate copy of Windoze (I keep getting the WGA notices, it's getting old).  If I have to keep hearing his conspiracy ravings I'm gonna have to start beating him over the head with my linux sermons (he hates Microsoft, why not? :p ).  So I missed you guys, let see how much I've missed in just over a week.

Wut lol.

Friggin' saved!

QuoteSpeaking of which, I finally secured some episodes of that Gurren-whatsis. So pretty soon, I can dispel all the "huh". ^^

'bout damn time!

Ain't got too much to say about BSD, I like DesktopBSD and PC-BSD, but I'm not too keen on the BSD-license.  I much prefer the freedom afforded by GNU/Linux.  I should have more to say, but I'm currently nursing sinuses/allergies, hoping I'll be well in time for the mc chris show this Monday.

The Choice of a New Generation.

C-Chan

QuoteYou're wrong...I AM THE PREDATOR. RESITANCE IS FUTILE. =W=

But a Predator IS an alien, so....

I knew it, I was right.  ^___^

Okay now, lesse if this'll work....  -v-

Aaa- Aaaaaa-  AAAAAAAAA-CHOO!!!!!!!!!!  >o<

BWO-HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's right, lowly humans! WE STAND ABOVE YOU AND YOUR PUNY ECONOMY! BOW DOWN TO THE MOTHERLAND! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!

Fufufu... sure hope you've all migrated over to a resource-based (as opposed to profit-based) economy, or barring that at least kept all factories.  Otherwise, you ain't out of the woods yet.  ^__________^;

Now I forget... is Iceland green and Greenland full of ice, or the other way around?  Fufufu... ^.^

Hey don't look at me, if things get much worse here I'm considering moving to Denmark (aka the Happiest Place On Earth). ^^

And I'M moving to Palau, the Obscurest Place on Earth.  ^___^

Nevermind. I just checked back, and it's connected--and I only have an ETA of one week, which is better than infinity at any rate. Woo!

Well that's great that all ended well, but I shall reiterate.... -v-

KTORRENT FTW!!!!!  ^V^

Especially the KDE4 version... has enough subtle improvements to really stir my piggy heart.  But still Linux only, though.  ^______^

=============

In other news, I started with Shuffle,... and after seeing the prospect of yet another panty-and-boob joke-based Harem Anime, I decided to recheck my list....

...and not that this was due to any reordering on my part, noooo....  ^.^

...but turns out I was wrong.  It wasn't the next series on my list... it was actually 47th on my list.  

In fact, there was a big gaping hole where the next series is supposed to be... silly C-chan.  Fufufu... ^___________^

So, not wanting to leave the gap all cold and lonely, I opted to fill it with Gurren Lugan.  ^^

==============

And you guys cheated!  You KNEW I would automatically love something with pigs, pigs and MORE pigs.  Including one that looks suspiciously like me.  ^____^

==============

And also height comparisons..... Yoko-sama..... *v*

*lecherous grin*

==============

Oh, and FYI, my Gurren viewing will also share air time with Toshokan Sensou, which seems like a series I'm gonna love for reasons that,... well,... may not be entirely obvious except for hardcore C-chan connoiseurs.  

*lecherous grin*  ^__________^

Added after 4 minutes:

QuoteIanDanKilmaster
Windows 98
Windows 98

After 17hrs on 3 different buses, IDK's finally bringing the awesomeness to Texas, but only in half-capacity (i.e. without Linux ). So I couldn't figure out how to get Puppy on a flash drive (tested multiple installs on my own computer... none worked). I brought some LiveCDs with me, but haven't used them... I fear the slowness. So now I'm running Portable Fx on my brother's obviously illegitimate copy of Windoze (I keep getting the WGA notices, it's getting old). If I have to keep hearing his conspiracy ravings I'm gonna have to start beating him over the head with my linux sermons (he hates Microsoft, why not? ). So I missed you guys, let see how much I've missed in just over a week.

Fufufu... you should've practiced while you were still here.  ^___^

Too bad Intrepid Ibex wasn't gonna come out anytime close to when you left -- it's gonna come prepackaged with a LiveUSB maker for Ubuntu.  -v-

And yeah, your bro seems like a prime candidate for FOSS-dom,... then again, if he has no conspiracies to complain about, that might be bad for him too.  I've known people who just LOVE to complain and suffer, and do nothing about it so they can keep complaining and suffering perpetually...  ^_______^'

Ain't got too much to say about BSD, I like DesktopBSD and PC-BSD, but I'm not too keen on the BSD-license. I much prefer the freedom afforded by GNU/Linux. I should have more to say, but I'm currently nursing sinuses/allergies, hoping I'll be well in time for the mc chris show this Monday.

Well the BSD license is technically freer than the GPL, but that's the problem.  It's TOO free and too easy to abuse.  -v-

Too much of anything, even freedom, is not necessarily a good thing.

And yeah, most definitely get better.  I'm still curious as to how your Python training is going.  ^___^

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteAnd yeah, your bro seems like a prime candidate for FOSS-dom,... then again, if he has no conspiracies to complain about, that might be bad for him too. I've known people who just LOVE to complain and suffer, and do nothing about it so they can keep complaining and suffering perpetually... ^_______^'

His complaints have little to do with M$, but after a spending a few days with him, he's probably one of those people who will find any reason to complain.  I mentioned Linux to him awhile ago, but his grievance with Linux is his use of multimedia applications (in other words, he hasn't seen Linux in awhile).  Of course, IMO he has a more legitimate case for not using Linux, he's too busy/lazy (yes both).

QuoteWell the BSD license is technically freer than the GPL, but that's the problem. It's TOO free and too easy to abuse. -v-

*slaps head*
That's right, with the GPL, anything using the source code of a GPL product has to use a GPL-compatible license.  Whereas the BSD-License has no such restriction in place, opening the door for abuse by proprietary developers.

QuoteAnd yeah, most definitely get better. I'm still curious as to how your Python training is going. ^___^

Admittedly, it has been awhile since any training has taken place, hopefully now that I have some income I can finally get that Python book I've been talking about.  I'm also hoping PortableApps.com releases a portable IDLE (or a better Windows alternative, if one exists).  That would go a long way in making this easier.  btw. thanks for the well wishing.

The Choice of a New Generation.

NejinOniwa

*slaps head*
That's right, with the GPL, anything using the source code of a GPL product has to use a GPL-compatible license. Whereas the BSD-License has no such restriction in place, opening the door for abuse by proprietary developers.
Just like typing [quite] instead of [ quote ]...IT'S A TRAP!!!

QuoteNevermind. I just checked back, and it's connected--and I only have an ETA of one week, which is better than infinity at any rate. Woo!
To ensure high speeds, download Gundam. It'll surely have people who...SEED!
*PFFFFFFFF*
QuoteAnd you guys cheated! You KNEW I would automatically love something with pigs, pigs and MORE pigs. Including one that looks suspiciously like me. ^____^

==============

And also height comparisons..... Yoko-sama..... *v*

*lecherous grin*
Then we gonna be careful when using our Spiral Power around you, C-Boota!

And it's not cheating. It's STRATEGY. -w-

And about Yoko, I say as I do about my canine fiend;
Big stick, small dog.
Big rifle, small...er...girl.

-w-

Added after 1 minutes:

OH AND ALSO
An email just popped in saying "Din beställning finns att hämta". Well, have a guess what that means, it's probably pretty obvious now. -w-

I won't have it until Monday, though, since tomorrow's PARTY TIEM.

C-Chan

"Your order is available"....

I knew it, he ordered an invasion fleet.  ^^

Oh well, guess when Nejin-san and his alien friends take over the earth, we can stick him with all the debt.  :P

NejinOniwa

Oh no, you ain't! The stock market will be kept on a closed circuit, safely cut off from all contact with the NC network...but safely connected to your own world, of course. No sparing people their misery, here! >:3

Also, as I mentioned, tomorrow is PARTY DAY. So I'll be pretty much unreachable ~w~

Bella

QuoteWell that's great that all ended well, but I shall reiterate.... -v-

KTORRENT FTW!!!!! ^V^

Especially the KDE4 version... has enough subtle improvements to really stir my piggy heart. But still Linux only, though. ^______^

I'm still wondering how a torrent client can have that much effect on the speed of the download...  ;013

QuoteToo bad Intrepid Ibex wasn't gonna come out anytime close to when you left -- it's gonna come prepackaged with a LiveUSB maker for Ubuntu. -v-

Oh, wow, I might have to give that a try!

QuoteIn other news, I started with Shuffle,... and after seeing the prospect of yet another panty-and-boob joke-based Harem Anime, I decided to recheck my list....

...and not that this was due to any reordering on my part, noooo.... ^.^

...but turns out I was wrong. It wasn't the next series on my list... it was actually 47th on my list.

In fact, there was a big gaping hole where the next series is supposed to be... silly C-chan. Fufufu... ^___________^

So, not wanting to leave the gap all cold and lonely, I opted to fill it with Gurren Lugan. ^^

Yay! Gurren Laggan!  ;010

Today I saw the first episode of Serial Experiments Lain. I've been thinking about checking this one out for a long time, I've heard it's very deep and psychological. One problem-- my WFT meters have gone off the chart, though I hold out hope it's going someplace more comprehensible ^^

QuoteAnd you guys cheated! You KNEW I would automatically love something with pigs, pigs and MORE pigs. Including one that looks suspiciously like me. ^____^

Uhm, it wouldn't be this one, would it...?

...T____T

QuoteOh, and FYI, my Gurren viewing will also share air time with Toshokan Sensou, which seems like a series I'm gonna love for reasons that,... well,... may not be entirely obvious except for hardcore C-chan connoiseurs.

*lecherous grin* ^__________^

Tall chicks. I'm guessing.

Uh oh. I'm dangerously OT. To the Topic!

C-Chan

QuoteI'm still wondering how a torrent client can have that much effect on the speed of the download...  

A lot of CPU processing time is used to coordinate the downloading AND uploading of multiple little downloads across hundreds of different seeders/leechers, and then slotting them in the right position in the file(s) on your hard drive.  AND it has to continously communicate with the Tracker, AND it has to run integrity checks too (wouldn't want some person to replace a movie file with a virus now would you? -- thankfully that's not possible with the way torrents are managed).

At the end of the day, if your particular torrent client is a memory hog (e.g., Azureus), than it robs a lot of processing time and memory just RUNNING the application, leaving very little to actually request downloads from seeders/leechers, causing it to choke frequently.

On my old HP laptop I installed Xubuntu on it and now run it as a torrent machine -- but only after limiting the number of maximum local/global connections, limiting the upload and download bandwith and limiting the maximum upload slots to something a little less straining on the old CPU.  It may not be capable of blazing-fast downloads, but at least it's capable of steady and reliable speeds and never chokes up.  ^^

QuoteToday I saw the first episode of Serial Experiments Lain. I've been thinking about checking this one out for a long time, I've heard it's very deep and psychological. One problem-- my WFT meters have gone off the chart, though I hold out hope it's going someplace more comprehensible ^^

Well.............. that might be a matter of opinion.  It can go 50:50 -- the ending either means something to you in a deep and existential way,... or it just piles on the WTF to critical mass.  ^.^;

On the other hand, I really liked the series.  
FUN FACT: The opening song, Duvet, was the inspiration behind PCDOS-tan, and I continue to think of it as her theme.  ^___^

And you don't seem to understand
A shame you seemed an honest man
And all the fears you hold so dear
Will turn to whisper in your ear
And you know what they say might hurt you
And you know that it means so much
And you don't even feel a thing

I am falling, I am fading
I have lost it all

And you don't seem the lying kind
A shame then I can read your mind
And all the things that I read there
Candle lit smile that we both share
and you know I don't mean to hurt you
But you know that it means so much
And you don't even feel a thing

I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning
Help me to breathe
I am hurting, I have lost it all
I am losing
Help me to breathe

QuoteUhm, it wouldn't be this one, would it...?

...T____T

Oh SHI-! My cover's blown!!  >v<

*quickly hightails it out of thread*

NejinOniwa

QuoteA lot of CPU processing time is used to coordinate the downloading AND uploading of multiple little downloads across hundreds of different seeders/leechers, and then slotting them in the right position in the file(s) on your hard drive. AND it has to continously communicate with the Tracker, AND it has to run integrity checks too (wouldn't want some person to replace a movie file with a virus now would you? -- thankfully that's not possible with the way torrents are managed).

At the end of the day, if your particular torrent client is a memory hog (e.g., Azureus), than it robs a lot of processing time and memory just RUNNING the application, leaving very little to actually request downloads from seeders/leechers, causing it to choke frequently.
Odd, this - uTorrent on DELTA idles on 9mb ram, while seeding at 500kB/s ups it to 20mb, with full speed (1mb/s) drawing 30mb off the RAM. Maybe cuz i've got OCEANS of RAM, but it doesn't seem much to me...

Added after 1 minutes:

Oh, and the cpu usage on the active core stays around 4%, peaking at 8% (for a single 2.5ghz core). Meh?

C-Chan

Well of course I'm talking behind the scenes now -- each time you're typing a document in MS Word or OOo Writer, the computer is doing hundreds or even thousands of calculations in the background, but the end user sees only inconsequential things, such as words typing on the screen, spell checks being performed, or a page documents being previewed for printing.

So in between having a fast computer (relative to my old HP laptop, you're thing is a speed demon) and an efficient torrent client (uTorrent, written in C++, and probably with very unsloppy code), it's not only gonna be fast it also won't be relatively system taxing.

In contrast to Azureus (written in Java and slow as mole-asses for reasons I dare not even investigate), it will tax any system that doesn't have oceans of RAM.  ;D

I recall using it on a junk computer and averaging roughly 5kbps maximum.  I switched to bitTornado (and later Transmission) and ZOUNDS!  The computer was like the Kamina of computers!  >v<

Added after 45 minutes:

=============

In other news:

Le sigh..... X___X

http://52.thelastoutpost.com/video-4/technology/where-old-computers-go.html

Bella

QuoteA lot of CPU processing time is used to coordinate the downloading AND uploading of multiple little downloads across hundreds of different seeders/leechers, and then slotting them in the right position in the file(s) on your hard drive. AND it has to continously communicate with the Tracker, AND it has to run integrity checks too (wouldn't want some person to replace a movie file with a virus now would you? -- thankfully that's not possible with the way torrents are managed).

On my old HP laptop I installed Xubuntu on it and now run it as a torrent machine -- but only after limiting the number of maximum local/global connections, limiting the upload and download bandwith and limiting the maximum upload slots to something a little less straining on the old CPU. It may not be capable of blazing-fast downloads, but at least it's capable of steady and reliable speeds and never chokes up. ^^

Oh, I see. This might explain why downloads were painfully slow with Azureus...

QuoteWell.............. that might be a matter of opinion. It can go 50:50 -- the ending either means something to you in a deep and existential way,... or it just piles on the WTF to critical mass. ^.^;

On the other hand, I really liked the series.

Well, I do enjoy very deeeeeeeep stuff. And I'm pretty good at sinking meaning into otherwise...WFT...things XD

(No really. I mean it. After watching the Matrix for like, the third time, I began to see it less as a story about killer robots taking over humanity in the future, and more as a story about technology's intrusion and redefinition of reality in the modern day and age.)

QuoteFUN FACT: The opening song, Duvet, was the inspiration behind PCDOS-tan, and I continue to think of it as her theme. ^___^

What a fun fact! I really like that opening song, but I never would've associated it with PCDOS-tan (maybe someone sadder, like Xenix or OS/2-san or somebody). Then again...I can see where it would fit PSDOS-tan, especially her relationship with, and separation from, MSDOS-tan.

And that's terrible where they send those old computers. -__-

NejinOniwa

Alright, guys, now it's delivered and purchased. Say hello to my new friend, NIA-tan!

THE AWESOMEST THING EVER MADE; A JOYSTICK ON ME FOREHEAD. Gives an ENTIRELY new meaning to the word...mindgames.

Oh, and someone has to help me in drawing her up. While not an OS, this piece of FABULOUS hardware deserves it by far. Read up on it, and be FABULIZED...for I HAS GAMING BCI.
>:3

Added after 48 minutes:

Downside is...it's DAMN hard to control those brainwaves... ^v^;

Added after 1 hours 8 minutes:

And another downside...it's a bit unreliable to fire your gun with your eyebrows ^^
Especially afterwards when you've turned it off and half expect tabs to open with just a twitch of your chin! But, all's all. All the reviews of it do say it's got a loooong learning curve...

Bella

That is awesome, and very unexpected! A brain-computer interface device! I didn't even realize those were available on the consumer market until now! @__@

And silly Nejin, of course it's unreliable to fire a gun with your eyebrows. Why do you think guns weren't designed to be head-mounted, huh?

As for designing an NIA-tan, I volunteer you for the job. She'd be very futuristic, and probably be a mind-reader (gosh a lot of them are showing up lately), and love to game. >:P