MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club!

Started by Bella, November 29, 2007, 11:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteOMG! Nejin-san is right! C-Chan, your new nickname for life is gonna be C-Chamina. Yoko Ritona cosplay Bella says so.

Hmmm, visualizing Piggy-senpai with glasses and a cape...

Also, Yoko cosplay should be the official stamp of approval for all MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club business... whenever there is business to be had that is.

QuoteIn Linux in Unexpected Places news, I found myself in Lowe's--a big hardware/home store, like Home Depot-- tagging along on a search for a snowthrower for the coming winter. It's funny, cause since I started learning about different computers and OSes, I've taken more notice of different OSes and computers I encounter everyday. Well, I passed some very old looking computers in one of the departments and...gasp...what are they running? ZOMG! Linux! Well, I dunno that for sure, but I can say they were running GNOME, I'd recognize that anywhere. All the computers there seemed to be running Linux.

Now that I think of it, I think I noticed the same thing when I was Lowe's some time ago.  For some reason that just sounds awfully familiar.  Anyway, I do know there are a number of businesses that use Linux, two of which were sued by SCO (Autozone and Daimler-Chrysler).  I have to wonder if the people who work at these places are even aware they are using Linux.

QuoteBut M$'s hijacking of PC name is not my only problem with these ads. While the Mac vs. PC ads make the point that these dudes are representing the computers themselves, in the M$ "I'm a PC" ads this point gets completely lost. One thing really perplexes me, though-- how the bloody hell did M$ get the deeply profound, existential philosopher Deepak FRICKIN' Chopra to cameo in these ads!!!!?!!!? Lud, I guess everyone has their price, but I wouldn't expect someone like that doing a shill for such an evil company (or any company really).

Despite my disdain for M$ and my interest in Mac, I have to cry foul on this one.  Arguably, it was Apple who started equating PC to software, when in their Mac vs. PC ads they used security as a subject of critique in one of their ads.  As far as I understand, security (as in safety from virii) is really a matter of what OS or kernel you are running and not really something you can affect with hardware.  As far as the second thing goes, try not to let it bother you.  I know Deepak Chopra is kinda revered as a champion of spiritualism and philosophy, but there are better examples of modern philosophers out there and I am proud to say I have met them.  Gah, I hope I did not sound like that douche Ballmer talking about the ads.

P.S.   Does anyone know of a LiveCD that comes with IDLE?  Also, is there a LiveUSB I can run with persistence on 2GB Flash drive?

The Choice of a New Generation.

C-Chan

Thought I'd check back here.  -v-

QuoteEntirely custom-made wallpaper, half inkscape, half shoopdawoopage.

With extra woopage.  Not bad, not bad at all.  ;)

QuoteAnyway, I should also note that I can not take credit for the Morrigan walls, they were done by a guy who calls himself ARK. He seems to be making these all the time, and he is really good. I must warn you, while I do not think there is any actual nudity in his walls, they tend to be highly suggestive and would not class them all as SFW.

Naaaaaaaaah... could've sworn she were a puritan.  :)

QuoteKDE, using Openbox, xcompmgr compositing, kinda Halloween-themed wall.

Wow, that's a hodgepodge of elements.  Never thought of replacing Kwin with Openbox -- gives it an interesting XFCE-like flavor.  Thought that was Simdock, but based on the shape and reflection of the dock floor, pretty sure it's Avant WN.  :D

QuoteXFCE, using xfwm compositing, Halloween-themed wall.

I see you like your XFCE panels minimalistic.  I usually end up cramming them Full o' Crap.  :p

QuoteBtw, that pic is not my creation. I found it while doing wild search and I can't find the creator name. So whoever create the pic, kudos to you and I don't use it for making money.

The OS is pretty standard fare these days... but I can't help but feel inexplicably drawn to this picture.  Probably cause of the giant mermaids.  ^.^

*lecherous grin*

QuoteI know this is SOOOOO old....but it made me laugh when I went back and read it:

QuoteOMG! Nejin-san is right! C-Chan, your new nickname for life is gonna be C-Chamina. Yoko Ritona cosplay Bella says so.

Well usually I reserve my "huh" moments when you talk about tv programs and not Anime, but here I draw an exception.

Huh?  ^^;

On the other hand, Bella-hime's Yoko Whatsis cosplay deserves at least 3 or 4 servings of "humina humina".  ^.^

Or "hummus hummus"?  I forget now... -v-

QuoteBut all has been well with K8 since the reinstallation; it's actually running Windows XP SP1, which can only be good.

Still very proud of you for that.  A while ago I reinstalled a Windows machine for a client (for a fee of course), and the process reminded me of you as the owner was a bit skitish himself.  Despite the fact that I already made duplicate and reduplicates of his data.  ^^;

Quotetagging along on a search for a snowthrower for the coming winter.

Wait... don't you just need a hand and glove to throw snow?  ^.^'

QuoteZOMG! Linux! Well, I dunno that for sure, but I can say they were running GNOME, I'd recognize that anywhere. All the computers there seemed to be running Linux.

wow!   Was that in the aisles or in one of the work offices/registers?  If memory serves, Walmart, Lowes and Sam's Club are all owned by the same people -- and since it was Walmart that sold the gOS machines in store for a while, perhaps some of that "Linucism" rubbed off on them.  Or at least they'd better appreciate the cost savings of the technology... though sadly, not for the sake of improving anybody's wages.  ^^;

QuoteI can honestly say I'm a PC, and I know there's life outside of Windows.

Actually, I decided I wanted to be an Amiga anyway, just for the hell of being different.  ^.^

But I have certainly advertised that very point before, in addition to also scolding Apple for popularizing the misconception to begin with.

QuoteWhile the Mac vs. PC ads make the point that these dudes are representing the computers themselves, in the M$ "I'm a PC" ads this point gets completely lost.

And the commercials are made on Macs, as Ian had pointed out earlier.  ^.^
Besides, they were relative rush jobs since they were just a polite way of pulling the plug on the failed Seinfeld commercials.  Their prerequisite was simple: create commercials that don't suck that much, and they'll look better by default.

Seinfeld was the "ME" and 'I'm a PC' was the XP,... but doesn't change the fact they're both Windows.  ^^;

QuoteOne thing really perplexes me, though-- how the bloody hell did M$ get the deeply profound, existential philosopher Deepak FRICKIN' Chopra to cameo in these ads!!!!?!!!? Lud, I guess everyone has their price, but I wouldn't expect someone like that doing a shill for such an evil company (or any company really).

Can't speak for the guy (never even heard of him until now), but as I like to say: "As imperfect beings as we are, we're all allowed at least one weakness that goes against the very grain of our ideals."

My own weakness is the Wii, one of the most locked video game consoles of all time, but by GAWD it captivates me.  Â¯^¯

Also, a few months ago I met with a young lady who adored Microsoft/Bill Gates after reading about how much money or software they donated to schools in third world.  This is exclusive of knowledge of how small the donation was relative to their net worth, or the fact that the donations were only to select countries and to some extent politically-motivated -- what mattered is that it felt touchy-feely enough to shield M$ of criticism in her mind (or at least not think too badly of its efforts).  

No one can rise from poverty on charity alone, that's not the point of it.  Never has the term "Killing with Kindness" been so applicable in this respect.

In any event,... the point of my tangent is that I wonder if Mr. Chopra is not unlike my friend.

QuoteYoko Ritona cosplay Bella is damn confused.

You should probably update your Wishlist Of Life to state that you plan to dress like that in public some day.  ^__^

Humina Hummus!  ^.^

QuoteHmmm, visualizing Piggy-senpai with glasses and a cape...

Also, Yoko cosplay should be the official stamp of approval for all MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club business... whenever there is business to be had that is.

Okay, I'm gonna "huh" here once more. ^^;

QuoteDespite my disdain for M$ and my interest in Mac, I have to cry foul on this one. Arguably, it was Apple who started equating PC to software, when in their Mac vs. PC ads they used security as a subject of critique in one of their ads. As far as I understand, security (as in safety from virii) is really a matter of what OS or kernel you are running and not really something you can affect with hardware.

My thoughts exactly, although as a counterpoint to that, I must admit that specifying it as "Windows PC" would have been too long and awkward for the kind of commercial they were doing -- not to mention the possibility of Copyright infringement (the M$ ones never mention Apple or Mac explicitly, no?).  I'm no lawyer of course, but between the need to make simple commercials for ever simpler minds (GAWD, I miss the ol' days when advertisements were written in paragraphs) and also the need to avoid being too explicit about its rival products, they opted for the most marketable choice.  A smart choice for marketing, even if it's brain-dead st00pid technology-wise.  ^^;

QuoteAs far as the second thing goes, try not to let it bother you. I know Deepak Chopra is kinda revered as a champion of spiritualism and philosophy, but there are better examples of modern philosophers out there and I am proud to say I have met them.

Ah, of course he must be referring to ME, the wannaba piggy philosopher.  Why thank ye, Ian-san.  ^.^

Time for a C-chan Existential Moment:

"Be the change you want to see in the World!"

--C-chan*

* Actually ripped off from Ghandi

Speaking of silly stuff, here's some toilet humor related to all these advertisements.  Has enough little techie details (like the spinning Mac OSX wheel) to make me LOL....

http://linuxshellaccount.blogspot.com/2008/10/mac-pc-linux-south-park-style.html

QuoteP.S. Does anyone know of a LiveCD that comes with IDLE? Also, is there a LiveUSB I can run with persistence on 2GB Flash drive?

This one might satisfy BOTH requirements, since it comes preinstalled with Python stuff AND is based on Puppy Linux (which downright SWIMS in 2GB, and yes with persistence):

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets/dingoplus

Keep in mind, though, Puppy v4.1 came out a few days ago, so this Puplet is likely transitioning its packages to that release.

Puppy 4.1 is great, btw!  It's the first puppy to have inserted drives appear on the desktop, just like in KDE and GNOME.  It's amazing how much more intuitive that makes things over having to access Pmount all the time.  ^.^

IanDanKilmaster

You might want to consider editing your post senpai... I assume you made a goof with your notepad and accidentally copy/pasted your post from "Post Your Desktop".  However, this works a bit to my advantage in giving me an opportunity to kill two birds with one bush, err, a bush in the bush is worth one in the, aw f*** it - I'm just going to reply to things I would've replied to in the other thread here to save time.

QuoteNaaaaaaaaah... could've sworn she were a puritan.

In the context of the game's title "Vampire Savior", that statement takes on quite a humorous meaning... that was your intention, right ;) ?

QuoteWow, that's a hodgepodge of elements. Never thought of replacing Kwin with Openbox -- gives it an interesting XFCE-like flavor. Thought that was Simdock, but based on the shape and reflection of the dock floor, pretty sure it's Avant WN.

Honestly it wouldn't have occurred to me either, had it not been for the entry being automatically added in my session manager.  Now that I've learned the command for swapping out window managers during an active session, I'm trying all kinds of things (funny thing is, XFCE/kwin seems awfully light on RAM when used together).  I've used the other docks available in the repos, kooldock and simdock, and both had bugs that I have yet to encounter with AWN.

QuoteI see you like your XFCE panels minimalistic. I usually end up cramming them Full o' Crap.

Well, if you've seen my other posts in "Post Your Desktop", you know I have a thing for minimalism.  While it is more a side effect of having to use onboard intel video with little RAM, I've become endeared to the utility of minimalism.  It has a pleasing aesthetic to me.

QuoteAlso, a few months ago I met with a young lady who adored Microsoft/Bill Gates after reading about how much money or software they donated to schools in third world. This is exclusive of knowledge of how small the donation was relative to their net worth, or the fact that the donations were only to select countries and to some extent politically-motivated -- what mattered is that it felt touchy-feely enough to shield M$ of criticism in her mind (or at least not think too badly of its efforts).

I know this is really going to sound like that cynical side of me just starting to show, but Gatesy, like so many other billionaires that have been butthurt by the feds, uses charity for that very reason - to save face in the public eye.  While the tactics M$ has used in business have been widely publicized, not many people care because of this kind of "good nature" that is exhibited by the company's founder.  Blah, I know this is old news to you senpai, just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

QuoteOkay, I'm gonna "huh" here once more. ^^;

I take it you haven't seen Gurren Lagann?

QuoteMy thoughts exactly, although as a counterpoint to that, I must admit that specifying it as "Windows PC" would have been too long and awkward for the kind of commercial they were doing -- not to mention the possibility of Copyright infringement (the M$ ones never mention Apple or Mac explicitly, no?). I'm no lawyer of course, but between the need to make simple commercials for ever simpler minds (GAWD, I miss the ol' days when advertisements were written in paragraphs) and also the need to avoid being too explicit about its rival products, they opted for the most marketable choice. A smart choice for marketing, even if it's brain-dead st00pid technology-wise. ^^;

It's certainly something I understand from a marketing standpoint, but it's something that gets incredibly frustrating when having to explain things to my less computer-savvy family.

QuoteAh, of course he must be referring to ME, the wannaba piggy philosopher. Why thank ye, Ian-san. ^.^

Well, my time in college wasn't entirely devoted to Theatre (in fact, most of it was devoted to a very hated department, BUSINESS), I also spent a good deal of hours courting the possibility of a Philosophy major.  In my Philosophy courses, I was taught by the head of the department (I would say he is a genius philosopher himself, he's the guy who finally challenged me to think for myself), and I even got the opportunity to meet Niall Shanks (google him), who was not only a brilliant philosopher but a great conversationalist, too (I even got him to autograph a book).  Of course, I would consider you quite the FOSS philosopher.

QuoteSpeaking of silly stuff, here's some toilet humor related to all these advertisements. Has enough little techie details (like the spinning Mac OSX wheel) to make me LOL....

I love South Park, I only wish I saw this before I got sick of the Mac vs. PC parody ads.  It's funny, just that it seems to be too familiar a territory by now.

QuoteThis one might satisfy BOTH requirements, since it comes preinstalled with Python stuff AND is based on Puppy Linux (which downright SWIMS in 2GB, and yes with persistence)...

I'll have to dl this tomorrow, I'm trying to get something I can use while I'm in Texas for 6 weeks (starting this Tuesday).  I need to keep my Linux and Python skills honed until I return to my desktop.

BTW.  When I installed Kubuntu this time around, I learned that I could actually name my compy something other than "*-desktop", so my computer has an actual name now - Mika.

NejinOniwa

QuoteI take it you haven't seen Gurren Lagann?
The awesomeness of Piggy Kamina is its obliviousness of itself. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteThe awesomeness of Piggy Kamina is its obliviousness of itself. -w-

Indeed.

C-Chan

[embarrassed] Ahhhhhh.... no replies for me.  Evidently I need to crawl into a corner and roll myself into a ball in shame, for more than one reason.  ^_____^;

*crawls to corner and rolls self into a ball in shame*

IanDanKilmaster

If you could pop out of your "ball o' shame" for just a moment senpai :p, I could use your help regarding DingoPlus.  How should I put it on my flash drive?  Should I try a CLI method, install and use unetbootin, or is there another way?  I would prefer a method that would insure it could work on any computer that has a BIOS that supports USB boots.  PCLinuxOS' and NimbleX's USB installs from LiveCD never worked for me, Incognito's did work however.  I'm not really sure what is going on there, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the LILO or GRUB menu.  Anyway, as much as you've talked about Puppy Linux in the past, I'm sure you have a method that has worked out for you, right?  In particular, I'd also appreciate any recommendations you have for a set up with a 2GB limitation.

C-Chan

*pops out of ball*  Sadly, I don't have my discs on me, so I'm gonna have to work off of memory.  ^__^

You'll still need a Puppy LiveCD for the easier method, so if you haven't already burn a copy and go into LiveCD mode.  Once in, plug in your blank USB drive.

In one of the top three folders in the Puppy Application Menu, there should be a folder called System or Setup (or something along the lines).  There should be an option called "Universal Installer".  One of the first options, in fact, is to install Puppy on a USB flash drive, which you want to select.

Given you want a Live environment with persistence, make sure it gets you to do a "Frugal" install, and choose a Pup storage file of about 1.5GBs or so.  

As far as booting goes, there's gonna be several options to choose from.  Make sure you read the Wizard screens carefully to pick out the most reliable one, and be sure to test it when you're done!!  ;)

And of course, just in case, be sure to take the Puppy LiveCD as well.

EDIT: Aha! Here's confirmation!  :D

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2006/03/25/puppy-linux-on-usb/

Added after 1 minutes:

Here's something a little bit more explicit:

http://puppylinux.com/flash-puppy.htm

NejinOniwa

I actually tried that once, it's remarkably easy to accomplish.

On another topic, X64 XP-chan has been failing me a lot lately... >_<

C-Chan

QuoteI actually tried that once, it's remarkably easy to accomplish.

The Nejin speaks Truthfully.  ^^

QuoteOn another topic, X64 XP-chan has been failing me a lot lately... >_<

She's not on the computer with the thermal paste problems, is she?  @@'

NejinOniwa

Well, technically speaking it's the same hard drive, PSU and the same box...but the rest of it is greatly updated (because of the RHD 4870 Gfx-card, though, it still has some HIIGH temperature problems at times...like GPU going over 90 degrees C when I play Mass Effect, and so on). The only downside to DELTA, really, is that she runs XP-64...damn you M$, damn you!

C-Chan

Fufu.. if it goes past 90C, I'd be hard pressed to insist it's more hardware problems.  ^______^;

Then again, 64-bit technology is still relatively new.  Had oodles of problems back in the day with 64-bit *Buntu -- all of it went away when I switched to 32-bit versions (and later on to other distros).  :P

Added after 38 seconds:

BTW, don't forget to tell us how Hardy your Party went.  ;)

NejinOniwa

I know, but I'm almost about to start thinking it's thermometer problems. Here's the deal; Catalyst AI, the driver set for ATI/AMD graphics cards, have a built-in overclocking tool, which also comes with a thermometer and gpu load meter. Thing is, when my GPU says it's at 94 degrees...the scale on the thermometer is just a bit over the yellow area in the half. Not even red. So apparently, it's supposed to be that way. Which I totally WTF at, but meh, that's how it is. Anyway, it's more that the graphics card heat the rest of the comp up so much it all goes waaaay high, like, 60-65 on both mobo and cpu, and then things start to protest, so to say... >_>
So my chassis is open. ^^

And yeah, 64-bit tech is pretty new, and pretty unimplemented, and pretty damn much abandoned by M$...but still, pretty underestimated, too.

And the Party Hard will have to wait for another time, since I was just kidnapped by my family last night, eating dinner at Texas Longhorn, and consuming LOTS OF BEEF. =w= That said, it was pretty crazy, but not because of the alcohol, rather because it's just, well, my family. They're not up to my level, but, well, on the same scale, at least. Imagine the rest yourselves. ^.^;

C-Chan

QuoteAnyway, it's more that the graphics card heat the rest of the comp up so much it all goes waaaay high, like, 60-65 on both mobo and cpu, and then things start to protest, so to say... >_>
So my chassis is open. ^^

Le sigh.... You sir are in dire need of MASSIVE amounts of liquid cooling....  -v-

btw, what kind of games and/or programs do you use that require so much processing power?  Wow, I mean I could cook waffles on that thing!  @v@'

And yeah, 64-bit tech is pretty new, and pretty unimplemented, and pretty damn much abandoned by M$...but still, pretty underestimated, too.

Unless you use IRIX, which gives 64-bit processors a lot of luv.  ^.^

Then again,... I don't think that's gonna help you in your current predicament.  Might have if you have a boatload of money and this were 1999.  ^^;;;

*laughs at own bad geek joke*

*curls into a ball in shame*

And the Party Hard will have to wait for another time, since I was just kidnapped by my family last night, eating dinner at Texas Longhorn, and consuming LOTS OF BEEF. =w= That said, it was pretty crazy, but not because of the alcohol, rather because it's just, well, my family. They're not up to my level, but, well, on the same scale, at least. Imagine the rest yourselves. ^.^;

That sounds pleasant, but... to imagine what you mean... hmmmm.... a family of Nejin's,.....

*image of Alex Louis Armstrong's family comes to mind*

.................fufu... ^.^

NejinOniwa

QuoteLe sigh.... You sir are in dire need of MASSIVE amounts of liquid cooling.... -v-

btw, what kind of games and/or programs do you use that require so much processing power? Wow, I mean I could cook waffles on that thing! @v@'
Ahahaha~ ^-^
Yeah, LC will probably be the next investment I do on this lady, that's for sure. And it's not that it requires much processing power, but more that massively HQ texturing and lots of Anti-Aliasing and the such...makes your graphics card BURN. And even if it doesn't actually BURN, since it's heat-resistant or something, the rest of the computer does, if you're not careful. ^-^;

QuoteUnless you use IRIX, which gives 64-bit processors a lot of luv. ^.^

Then again,... I don't think that's gonna help you in your current predicament. Might have if you have a boatload of money and this were 1999. ^^;;;

*laughs at own bad geek joke*

*curls into a ball in shame*
...I didn't quite catch that, so I'll just settle for YOU AS DINNER TONIGHT, SEMPAI. >:3

QuoteThat sounds pleasant, but... to imagine what you mean... hmmmm.... a family of Nejin's,.....

*image of Alex Louis Armstrong's family comes to mind*

.................fufu... ^.^
I was almost forgetting my FMA history there...
And in that sense, it's actually more like...

...err....
*thinks HARD*
...nah, better not even try. I'll break before I find a good match, seriously ^v^;;

Added after 5 hours 25 minutes:

On another hand, the first FX3.1 beta just got released. I'M ON THIS TRAIN, BOYS!