MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club!

Started by Bella, November 29, 2007, 11:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

QuoteI still know many people who don't have computers at all, but the ones who do usually follow the same thought pattern as your neighbors, Ian-san. ^__^
Bella-hime, though, might as well be living in Norway. ^^
No, no, no.
She's NOT, I repeat, NOT living in Norway. Õ_õ
Burn me alive if I ever go there again. Damn you, Norway. Damn place of mountains and trees and nothing but mosquitoes around. Fyres! I shiver just thinking about it. No, C-Chan, she might NOT just as well be living in Norway. Please use something else as a reference point, my aggro trigger just exploded.

>_>
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

Okay.... hmmm... where else.... another European country with a highly educated workforce, high standard of living, semi-rural,....

Perhaps one that starts with an "S".... ^___^

Yes,... populated by tall, beautiful women....  *lecherous grin* ^.^

Great food... ^__^

Stable economy.... ^______^

Decent social ethic....  ^______________^

And apparently, no mosquitoes....  ^__________________________^

I KNOW!!!  ^v^

Sssssssssssssssswwww--

...-itzerland!!!!  ^__^'

NejinOniwa

QuoteI KNOW!!! ^v^

Sssssssssssssssswwww--

...-itzerland!!!! ^__^'
Oi. -.-

No, for some reason, I have traumatic memories of Norway, DAMN IT, I HATE NORWAY. AGH.
I was there for 4 days, living in a ONE-MAN-TENT THAT WASN'T A TENT AT ALL, CLIMBING MOUNTAINS AND SHITTING IN BLUE PLASTIC BAGS. And that's freaking gross, man. Should be censored. GHA! I CENSORED IT, GTFO!

Nope, Norway is a no-go. I actually was to Trondheim, further up north, earlier in the summer, as well, and that was ok, I guess - but the Jotunheimen Experience has left me scarred for life.

>_>
<_<
>_<

Yes, Nejin is a sick asshole. Wait. I just recovered, so I'm now a recovered asshole. Wait, that doesn't sound right, not at all... Ã"_ô

>_>

*AHEM*
*wipes off chalkboard with enormous brush*

So, I'm thinking of getting an Aspire One. I just have one big question: Linux or XP version? I mean, XP on the 900mhz EEE isn't gonna go anywhere, but on a 1.6GHz Atom-wielding Aspire One it might work. And frankly, I am more than just slightly suspicious against a distro which homepage is written in Engrish...and even worse, CHINESE Engrish. I really dunno. Advise me, /OSC/!

C-Chan

Really?  Doesn't seem to bad to me...  '__'

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/

...unless you mean Linpus Lite, in which case.... yeah, be marginally afraid.  -__-'

In any event, that's an easy call cause you've always struck me as kinda/sorta a game lover.  XP doesn't fare well on the SSD models, so they always stick it on the 120GB hard drive models which might be more appealing to you.  It kills the robustness of the laptop and makes it heavier/thicker -- but hey, you've got lots a space!  :P

The Linux version is supposed to also ship in a 1GB, 120GB hard drive version, but so far I haven't seen it -- I almost fear Acer got comfortable keeping their baby on their low-end (albeit still VERY popular) model.  So right off the bat, the XP will come with the beefier, slightly-more-modifiable hardware.  And even though you'd still be contributing some M$ tax, at least it's not Vista.  ;)

And as for getting the Acer over, say, any of the other netbooks,....

Well consider this:  you're a big guy, and the Acer has one of the BIGGEST, BEEFIEST keyboards in the market (second only to the HP Mininote, which is "shetland" if you know what I mean).  Typing on it should be easier for you -- and plus, the big bright screen ensures that you won't be squinting much.  ;D

One last thing -- all the Acers have gone down in price over here, so the Linux model is DIRT cheap compared to other models (almost as cheap as the EeePC 2G I bought!).  However, most of these companies have a nasty habit of abusing of you poor Europeans, so there's no doubt in my mind that the price differences between the Linux and XP models aren't all that great.  In some countries, in fact, the XP model is subsidized to the point where it's CHEAPER than the Linux model.

Pisses me off, but what can you do... it's one pig offering cash discounts (me) vs. a giant company with money to burn for everything, including very stupid commercials.  ^^;

Added after 3 minutes:

PS:  There is one possible issue... the Intel Atom is still relatively new, so its tasking may still not be up to par with what you're used to.  3D games in particular may have some issues, although I'm mainly basing this on the Linux version's 3D drivers (which as you might imagine, aren't the highest priority for Intel, despite that they are some of the most responsive).

Not to mention that the Intel Atom IS still a low-power processor -- so even at that speed, it's not really meant to be significantly better than the Celerons (just more efficient).

NejinOniwa

Hey, it's not like I'm planning on playing Counterstrike on a laptop. My own monster-comp DELTA is there for all purposes except one; Portability. I was just recently checking out on portable computers and spotted the One. The HDD-less Linux version has got the same pricetag as the Celeron-equipped XP EEE 900 at 2900 SEK, while the HDD-equipped XP version at 4000 SEK is a rough 500 above the Atom XP version of EEE. With today's economic chaos I dunno what's happening, but just with the currency it's equivalent to 430$ for the Linux version, and 590$ for the XP version. I'm guessing, you guys have a LOT more free rein when it comes to good prices. And the worst part is that I absolutely DETEST American keyboards (I've always used the Scandinavian ISO-8859-1 keyboards) so I can't order it from outside the country.

In short, I'M IN DESPAIR.
Unless I'm lucky and get it for 10/13. =w=

C-Chan

QuoteHey, it's not like I'm planning on playing Counterstrike on a laptop.

Although you can.... I've already tried playing Sauerbraten on my EeePC, and it runs alright.  :)
(just don't keep it around -- shooters aren't my thing anymore)

QuoteMy own monster-comp DELTA is there for all purposes except one; Portability. I was just recently checking out on portable computers and spotted the One.

True that.  ^^
You can put your netbook inot your coat pocket -- or even a pants pocket if it's baggy enough.  8|

QuoteThe HDD-less Linux version has got the same pricetag as the Celeron-equipped XP EEE 900 at 2900 SEK, while the HDD-equipped XP version at 4000 SEK is a rough 500 above the Atom XP version of EEE. With today's economic chaos I dunno what's happening, but just with the currency it's equivalent to 430$ for the Linux version, and 590$ for the XP version.

Ah well, at least those sound like more appropriate price differentials.  8D

QuoteI'm guessing, you guys have a LOT more free rein when it comes to good prices.

Mexicans, no. Electronic prices are still sadistically high, even though it's nowhere near as ridiculous as it was in the old days.  In Canada, maybe, but companies there are still in denial, pricing their products as if the Canadian $ were still less than the American one.

In the US, yeah, the netbook prices are pretty good (and in fact, that's how I got a hold of my Aspire One) -- but they do seem to be left out from a few extra features.  E.g., some of the new Dell Mini 9's sold for the European market will offer built-in cellular broadband connectivity.  Perhaps if I were interested in that kind of stuff, I would have waited for one of those (or an Acer with 3G connectivity). ^^

QuoteAnd the worst part is that I absolutely DETEST American keyboards (I've always used the Scandinavian ISO-8859-1 keyboards) so I can't order it from outside the country.

Sou sou, that would be a problem.  ^^

QuoteIn short, I'M IN DESPAIR.
Unless I'm lucky and get it for 10/13. =w=

Would that be YOUR B-Day, by any chance?  ;)

Well... in short, it seems like you really are interested in the Linux model, in which case I'm happy for you. ^^
The Acer Aspire One is capable of a lot more than it seems, but at least the admission that you're not looking for a complete desktop (or pimped out laptop) replacement means that you won't be easily disappointed by the lack of muscle power.

Just so we're clear, though, I'll give you the honest pros and cons of the Acer Aspire One Linpus Linux 8GB:

PROS:
====

- Price (relatively cheap price for good hardware)
    - <=20 second boot time
    - SSD (means the laptop has no needles to break in case you drop it)  ^.^
    - Snippy performance (web surfing is a breeze, flash movies play just right, and regular movies play smoothly with no stuttter)
    - Great UI (the Acer-themed Linpus Lite interface is clean and simple to use -- and unlike the Asus one, you can modify it through an XML file)
    - Storage Expansion (inserting an SD card into the secondary Expansion slot merges it with your Home space, acting as if the drve had more space than its initial 8GB.
    - Access to Fedora 9 repository (when you enable its package manager, you'll have access to thousands of reasonably-modern programs to download.
    - Decent battery consumption (even though it has a weak battery in general, the Atom makes it last). ^^
    - Replaceable OS (there's been good headway making the AAO compatible with Mandriva and Ubuntu Netbook Remix -- if you decide you need a more conventional system, those two are already great upgrade paths).

CONS:
====

- Battery (only lasts about 2 hours -- not the best considering the higher end AAO's are bundled with 6-cell batteries).
    - video drivers (seems still not to par with this release, and I've had issues getting some Dosbox and Wine games to run smoothly -- a few AAO users have suggested that, aside from the newness of the Intel Atom, the kernel is optimized for Web and multimedia, not necessarily for games and 3D acceleration.
    - Tweaks mandatory (you need to tweak the system a bit to get a start menu going, access to the Add/Remove programs, access to VLC and restricted drivers, prevention of downloaded RPMs from clogging up your space, deletion of unnecessary language packs, modification of the Launcher menu, turning the Storage Expansion SD slot into a regular SD slot, etc.)
    - Swap space (the OS has a swap partition, which is both unnecessary and likely undesirable for an SSD -- a quick visit by Puppy-chan gets rid of it and frees up 500MB, but should never have been there to start with).  ;)
    - Not easily upgradeable (I've heard the RAM is difficult to upgrade and the SSD drive is soldered to the motherboard.  This is in contrast with the Dell Mini 9, where all the major components will be easily accessible and replaceable).

And so there you have it -- just the facts.  ;)
If you still feel it's great for you and you want to buy it, I can walk you through some of the tweaks.  :D

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteI've used Elive (what I consider the best E17-centric distro of all) and the old gOS (before they went to Gnome, and now to LXDE). Indeed I LOVED them, and espoused the virtues of using (well, at least Elive) on very old machines (at the time an old Gateway that gave trouble to nearly all my systems, including display problems with Puppy-chan).

I'm using the Elbuntu repository.  My only problem seems to be integration, e.g. I'll close an app in E17 and E17 gives me an error message telling me it crashed.  Really it's only a minor nuisance, otherwise I would driven at fixing the problem.

QuoteHowever, for some odd reason, I always end up gravitating back to KDE-based systems.... ''
Probably cause, as you say, it's still a tad incomplete -- even if what exists now is superb.

KDE will always be one of my DEs of choice, but it's becoming bloated.  On top of that, a non-beta version of KDE 4 is not available in the Gutsy Gibbon repos.  Of course, I'm a little bothered by the stuff I'm hearing about KDE 4 (lack of customization compared to KDE 3, lack of KDE 4 compatible programs, etc.), but I'm pretty sure these things will be resolved in time... I just lack such patience -.-.

EDIT:  Since this thread has essentially replaced the Linux thread (as I understand it), I would like to ask a couple of tech-supportish questions of you, Piggy-senpai.  Firstly, why isn't Iceweasel available in the Ubuntu repos?  Secondly, do you know of any reputable mirrors I could add to my sources.list that I could use to install Iceweasel?

The Choice of a New Generation.

C-Chan

QuoteKDE will always be one of my DEs of choice, but it's becoming bloated. On top of that, a non-beta version of KDE 4 is not available in the Gutsy Gibbon repos. Of course, I'm a little bothered by the stuff I'm hearing about KDE 4 (lack of customization compared to KDE 3, lack of KDE 4 compatible programs, etc.), but I'm pretty sure these things will be resolved in time... I just lack such patience -.-.

Oh, course it's gonna be resolved in time -- I know cause I help out in it.  For now with money and reporting, but hopefully in the near future with actual codework.  ^__~

EDIT: Since this thread has essentially replaced the Linux thread (as I understand it), I would like to ask a couple of tech-supportish questions of you, Piggy-senpai.

OMG,... I can just imagine that's gonna get me in trouble some day. But for now, I shall revel in the limelight of "senpai"-ism.  ^.^'

QuoteFirstly, why isn't Iceweasel available in the Ubuntu repos?

Well, IceWeasel is primarily a legal precaution (some would say "exaggeration", though I wouldn't be so harsh) taken by the Debian developers in line with their free philosophy.  It would be redundant to have it alongside Firefox when both are essentially the same thing -- more so considering that the *Buntu's are replete with non-free technology themselves (hence, the need to create the short-lived Gobuntu).

I believe it was requested before way back in the early *Buntu releases (6.x and such), but clearly the idea has not gain any traction (what with a half a million other more important bugs to quash).

QuoteSecondly, do you know of any reputable mirrors I could add to my sources.list that I could use to install Iceweasel?

Well there is a reputable mirror here....

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallIceweasel

...but just cause it's reputable, doesn't mean it's safe.  ^.^

In that case, I would say it's a lot safer to install IceWeasel from a recent DEB file, the instructions of which are also in that link.  Granted the instructions were written for Dapper and Edgy, it also claims to be compatible with future versions of Ubuntu -- as long as the DEB installation process doesn't ask you to remove half the files on your machine, it wouldn't hurt to try.  ;)

But like all good things,...

...they're best tested on a virtual machine.  ^.^;

IanDanKilmaster

Okay, now I remember, the whole logo controversy was all over the ubuntuforums when this started, but I wasn't aware that all IceWeasel was was the same browser with a different name/logo.  For the record, I understand Debian's stance on this, but what I don't understand why IceWeasel has attracted such fanboys (humping weasel, wtf?).  After some more research, I decided to install a product that was also once called IceWeasel (preceded by GNU or not, it still caused confusion), GNU IceCat.  It's currently the only way I can get a stable, trustworthy FF3 on my computer (w/out compiling from source) that's not beta, and it also deviates more from FF than does IceWeasel.  Anyway, it's also the browser I'm currently typing this in ^__^.

QuoteOh, course it's gonna be resolved in time -- I know cause I help out in it. For now with money and reporting, but hopefully in the near future with actual codework. ^__~

That's awesome, I'll be sure to look for any distinctive Piggy-senpai touches once you get around to being that involved.

QuoteI'm using the Elbuntu repository. My only problem seems to be integration, e.g. I'll close an app in E17 and E17 gives me an error message telling me it crashed. Really it's only a minor nuisance, otherwise I would driven at fixing the problem.

Gah, wouldn't you know just the day after I post this, Elbuntu closes the Gutsy repo?  I would assume it has something to do with the guys at Enlightenment shifting from CVS to SVN, but the Hardy repo for Elbuntu still indicates it was compiled using CVS.  Anyway, I made the mistake of uninstalling e17 from there and installing it using the OzOs repo (which in turn uses a modified EasyE17 script).  In short, it sucks.  Due to stability concerns, it doesn't install entrance (and I loved entrance and entranced), and it doesn't come with it's own Application sub-menu.  These were both things (among others) that I had been spoiled to by Elbuntu.  Anyway, I'm really missing entrance now, but at least I still have the e17 eye-candy.

C-Chan

QuoteOkay, now I remember, the whole logo controversy was all over the ubuntuforums when this started, but I wasn't aware that all IceWeasel was was the same browser with a different name/logo. For the record, I understand Debian's stance on this, but what I don't understand why IceWeasel has attracted such fanboys (humping weasel, wtf?). After some more research, I decided to install a product that was also once called IceWeasel (preceded by GNU or not, it still caused confusion), GNU IceCat. It's currently the only way I can get a stable, trustworthy FF3 on my computer (w/out compiling from source) that's not beta, and it also deviates more from FF than does IceWeasel. Anyway, it's also the browser I'm currently typing this in ^__^.

Wow!  I actually didn't know about IceCat till now -- I definitely dig the logo more than I do the IceWeasel one. ^.^

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

But yes, they have a small blurb about IceWeasel at the very end of the page -- both are ideologically the same, although as you say IceCat goes a small step further feature-wise.

This actually summarizes the IceWeasel history quite nicely:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_software_rebranding

Although the Firefox proper page has a small blurb on Trademark and Rebranding that explains why Firefox derivatives can be created quite easily.  Swiftfox is a good example of a PROPRIETARY firefox derivative that seems almost parasitic at first glance,... until you ROFL at the knowledge that there exists a SwiftWeasel too (which pretty much offers the same thing, but FOSS).  ^^;

QuoteThat's awesome, I'll be sure to look for any distinctive Piggy-senpai touches once you get around to being that involved.

We shall see... there's still the risk of getting caught up on my own OS-tan inspired game ideas.  Having played [and loved] Megaman 9 on the Wii, it made me wonder if a Tux clone of Megaman was possible (akin to how SuperTux is based off of Super Mario Bros).

QuoteGah, wouldn't you know just the day after I post this, Elbuntu closes the Gutsy repo? I would assume it has something to do with the guys at Enlightenment shifting from CVS to SVN, but the Hardy repo for Elbuntu still indicates it was compiled using CVS. Anyway, I made the mistake of uninstalling e17 from there and installing it using the OzOs repo (which in turn uses a modified EasyE17 script). In short, it sucks. Due to stability concerns, it doesn't install entrance (and I loved entrance and entranced), and it doesn't come with it's own Application sub-menu. These were both things (among others) that I had been spoiled to by Elbuntu. Anyway, I'm really missing entrance now, but at least I still have the e17 eye-candy.

Have you gotten in touch with the people that maintain this [sub?]project?  They may be able to clarify what happened -- and unless they're really busy, or already have a HUEG fanbase, they might appreciate an extra person showing interest in Elbuntu.

IanDanKilmaster

Well, the Elbuntu problem is kinda solved now, I've upgraded my system to Hardy Heron (fresh install, looong story), and I'm using the Elbuntu repo for Hardy now.  Interestingly enough, I've found myself using XFCE more than anything else at the moment, but that's a different story.  I think I still might want to get in touch with these people, but I'd have to brush up on my French first.

QuoteWe shall see... there's still the risk of getting caught up on my own OS-tan inspired game ideas. Having played [and loved] Megaman 9 on the Wii, it made me wonder if a Tux clone of Megaman was possible (akin to how SuperTux is based off of Super Mario Bros).

Let me know if I can help with that, if you give me some png sprites I can try to make an AMOR creature (you can call it test of my ability to code ^__~).  If you ever get this project off the ground, I would love to be involved in any way that I can (I'm a big Megaman fan, but sadly since I don't own any current gen consoles, I can't try 9 out).

Anyway, I'm still having a little trouble with this new install, and to think it all started because I wanted to try DreamLinux...

C-Chan

QuoteWell, the Elbuntu problem is kinda solved now, I've upgraded my system to Hardy Heron (fresh install, looong story), and I'm using the Elbuntu repo for Hardy now. Interestingly enough, I've found myself using XFCE more than anything else at the moment, but that's a different story. I think I still might want to get in touch with these people, but I'd have to brush up on my French first.

Oui oui....  -v-

I worked with Hardy a few days a go as well, by request from a friend who wanted to upgrade his laptop with it.  It brought back many fine memories of Xubuntu, although admittedly some of the programs look a lot nicer now.  Even installed the Ubuntu Studio theme to make the overall desktop awesome. ^^

I was thinking of installing additional desktop environments in case he wanted to give Xubuntu and Kubuntu a try too, but ran out of time and was afraid of botching my hard work.  Before that, I accidentally replaced the Ubuntu splash image with the Edubuntu during my install spree -- fortunately it was easy to get it back to normal, but I was lucky it didn't take more valuable time to fix.  ^^;

QuoteLet me know if I can help with that, if you give me some png sprites I can try to make an AMOR creature (you can call it test of my ability to code ^__~).

Well if you're gonna get that in-depth with artwork, I'd rather test your Inkscape abilities instead.  ^^
Granted, it doesn't have Animation support yet -- nevertheless, it's a lot more feasible to handmove simple shapes and nodes bit my bit than to handdraw them all.

And regardless of what you think of yourself, even you could create a simple character like the one attached.  The animation would be easy to -- blinking, wing fluttering, nose rustling (when it's clucking), and hopping (in lieu of walking).  `v'

I once thought of doing AMOR creatures too, but worried the entire scheme seemed a little too simple.  As a former game mod maker, I wanted to aim a little hire.  ^.^

QuoteIf you ever get this project off the ground, I would love to be involved in any way that I can (I'm a big Megaman fan, but sadly since I don't own any current gen consoles, I can't try 9 out).

In fairness, any hardcore MM player will find 9 to be very short (MM2 short) -- it's not like MM3 (my favorite) which seemed to go on forever).  Besides, you're a student no?  MM9 is addictive enough to keep you away from some much needed sleep.  ^.^'

I searched around and found another FOSS megaman clone called BoboBot:

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bobobot/

Obviously a bit dated-looking, but I hear the C code for it is very neatly written.  Certainly worth looking at for ideas on how to approach the game dynamics.  

I have some ideas for it, but probably won't say anything until I can be sure I'll be working on this -- after all, my goal at the moment is to contribute to the KDE project.  Plus, it's not the only game idea I have -- I've got an easier one that might offer a simple but expandable Pinball game for KDE/KDE4.  Kolf already uses ball bounce dynamics, so it would just be a matter of building on top of that engine (perhaps?).

Even if I did, I doubt I keep it here in the forum -- more than likely I'd move to Sourceforge or something more tech-centric, and then secure the proper free license.  

QuoteAnyway, I'm still having a little trouble with this new install, and to think it all started because I wanted to try DreamLinux...

I loved that distro, although I thought I heard their latest and greatest wasn't quite so.  ^^;

===========

In other news, this made me lol (a bit).  ^.^;

http://www.zyra.org.uk/os-air.htm

[attachment deleted by admin]

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteI loved that distro, although I thought I heard their latest and greatest wasn't quite so. ^^;

Well, I learned the hard way how true that age old line "all that glitters" really is.  To put it bluntly, DreamLinux was a pain in the ass.  The whole reason I tried it is because I wanted to know if there was an alternative to Ubuntu (easy to use, less proprietary/more open-source, and Debian-based), and read somewhere that DreamLinux would fit the bill.  So I backed up my files (to my family's 250 GB computer), and D-BAN'd my computer (overkill, I know, but I wanted to make it as clean as I could).  Then, I downloaded DL and burned it using my family computer, ran the LiveCD... frustration.  Apparently, I failed to read the numerous complaints about how slow the DL LiveCD was, even worse, I was using a CD-RW on a computer with a dying CD/DVD-R drive.  So yeah, the installer crashed... a lot (the installer wouldn't even auto-partition despite having a "Install to whole drive" option).  I will say, however, I was really impressed with the GUI, in a word, gorgeous (it uses XFCE/GNOME with Compiz and AWN for a Leopard-esque, or clone look).  Anyway, I finally installed DreamLinux, but my problems weren't over yet.  I thought that since it was recommended by Debian themselves, that security updates should be done right away, I updated... and the GUI snafu'd (not during the update, but after it was installed and the comp was restarted).  So, I naturally assumed it was because my less recent version of DL (3.2) lacked compatibility with the update.  So I looked up how to get the most recent .iso, and discovered it would require me to execute a shell script.  This is where I'm a little perturbed, you see I realize that a shell script is kind of kiddie stuff to people who are familiar with Linux, but I was actually expecting this OS to be a little more user-friendly (perhaps I was given a false impression, perhaps I made a false assumption, in which case, my bad). I burned the DL3.3 .iso and installed it, but I learned that the problem I had with updating had more to do with not going through the proper channels (using the dream-update before standard apt-get update) than the version I was using. After all the work, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and started working getting the latest Kubuntu .iso.  DL was also a little bit of a burden on my system (old Gateway doesn't like Compiz), and the OS seemed to lack the flexibility I'm used to with Ubuntu.  I did have problems initially with the Kubuntu installation, but given that there's more support available through forums and blogs for Kubuntu, I was able to fix it (I think).  So, I'm slowly treading through the process of transferring my files back to my compy.  XFCE is acting just a tad buggy so I'm hoping to work that out first.

Interesting note:  XFCE's built-in compositing runs just fine and pretty smooth with AWN (I haven't noticed any significant impact on the speed of my system).

QuoteWell if you're gonna get that in-depth with artwork, I'd rather test your Inkscape abilities instead. ^^
Granted, it doesn't have Animation support yet -- nevertheless, it's a lot more feasible to handmove simple shapes and nodes bit my bit than to handdraw them all.

And regardless of what you think of yourself, even you could create a simple character like the one attached. The animation would be easy to -- blinking, wing fluttering, nose rustling (when it's clucking), and hopping (in lieu of walking). `v'

I once thought of doing AMOR creatures too, but worried the entire scheme seemed a little too simple. As a former game mod maker, I wanted to aim a little hire. ^.^

I appreciate your faith in me, Kamina-san... err, I mean, Piggy-senpai, but I was speaking of using .png sprites you'd supply ^__^.  I've already experimented with using sprites from Capcom games (converted from .gifs) to make creatures (all I'd be doing is writing a script to tell AMOR how to place and move the character).  Yet, if you think I can do it, I guess there's no harm in giving it a try (rather, more of a try)

QuoteIn fairness, any hardcore MM player will find 9 to be very short (MM2 short) -- it's not like MM3 (my favorite) which seemed to go on forever). Besides, you're a student no? MM9 is addictive enough to keep you away from some much needed sleep. ^.^'

I guess this is a side-effect of being reluctant to change my profile information, but I'm currently taking time away from school (don't get me wrong, I loved theatre but classes were burning me out).  Besides, with the economy in the shape it's in, and tuition going up I don't know if I'd be able to afford all the expenses.  Anyway, my resuming of my old online activities is more or less a direct result of my time away from school.  Of course, I don't know if it'll be a good idea to get me immediately involved in any projects, 'cos I have a trip to Texas coming up (I'll be spending a little over a month with my brother who lives there).  I'm sure I'll have access to the internet and I'll probably be bringing a LiveCD (if I figure out how, I might also use persistence), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do any work like that.  Still, I might consider offering my support.

BTW. I wouldn't consider myself a die-hard MM fan, but I own MM8 and have played most of the earlier ones.

In more MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club-related news:  Macs used in making of "I'm a PC" ads.
lulz

I'm sorry for the TL;DR.  I don't normally have so many problems, ha.

C-Chan

QuoteWell, I learned the hard way how true that age old line "all that glitters" really is.

*HUEG rant about DreamLinux*

Interesting note: XFCE's built-in compositing runs just fine and pretty smooth with AWN (I haven't noticed any significant impact on the speed of my system).

Ah, so the legends were true,... the latest versions do suck.  ^____^

I installed an older version (a strictly XFCE one) on an ancient Gateway computer that gave trouble to many of the other distros (even display problems with the then Puppy 2.x).  It was fast and sleek, and the kids who inherited it absolutely loved it.  

However, I do recall (and this was a common admonishment from its users) how easy it was to bork the system when installing stuff from Synaptic.  That's because many of the tweaks applied to vanilla DL were incompatible with some of the programs (and their respective libraries) from Debian Stable.  Hence, it was a classic example of mixing Stable and Unstable apps, and paying the consequences thereof if you chose the wrong combination.  ^.^;

The same is true with the AsusOS and the AcerOS -- installing stuff from their parent Xandros/Debian and Fedora Core repositories (respectively) can't be as nilly-willy as with Ubuntu because they're almost entirely different systems.

Honestly, why can't more of these distro variants host their own freakin repos.... ¬¬

QuoteI appreciate your faith in me, Kamina-san... err, I mean, Piggy-senpai, but I was speaking of using .png sprites you'd supply ^__^. I've already experimented with using sprites from Capcom games (converted from .gifs) to make creatures (all I'd be doing is writing a script to tell AMOR how to place and move the character). Yet, if you think I can do it, I guess there's no harm in giving it a try (rather, more of a try)

BWAHAHAHA!!!  I can barely draw artwork I promised people a year ago!  ^V^

Nah, if you want simple PNG sprites from me, just pull some OS-tan Minis from the Mini Midnight Madness thread (the SVG source files for some of them are also accessible from the Downloads section).

Otherwise, I won't be animating anything until I finish my PyQt4 training.  -v-

Oh, and yes I do trust you with Inkscape.  Once you start using it, you'll wonder where it's been all your life.  ^v^

(note: just a reminder, I have an Inkscape Tutorial thread in the OS-tan art section)

I guess this is a side-effect of being reluctant to change my profile information, but I'm currently taking time away from school (don't get me wrong, I loved theatre but classes were burning me out). Besides, with the economy in the shape it's in, and tuition going up I don't know if I'd be able to afford all the expenses. Anyway, my resuming of my old online activities is more or less a direct result of my time away from school.

Of course, I don't know if it'll be a good idea to get me immediately involved in any projects, 'cos I have a trip to Texas coming up (I'll be spending a little over a month with my brother who lives there). I'm sure I'll have access to the internet and I'll probably be bringing a LiveCD (if I figure out how, I might also use persistence), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do any work like that. Still, I might consider offering my support.

Aa sou sou.  ^.^
The move sounds a bit unorthodox, but courageous.  I like that.  ^^

To many people forget that education is meant to enrich the mind and the soul -- if college were simply about getting the best possible grades for the best possible job, would-be students could just save their money and go to a vocational school.  Instead, students/parents have grown used to simply forking over obscene sums of money in the hopes that cloistered, finance-ignorant post-adolescents can magically be transformed into genius savants.  And by relinquishing so much control, they fail to get the education to mold to the wants and needs of the student (making the student literally pay to work on stuff that might not necessarily be stimulating).

In short, if you want to take a break to rest your mind and take of your money, do so.  It's your money, your future and your prudence, and no one can tell you better what to do than yourself. ^__^

Preaching-to-the-Choir-style Pep Talk aside, I can assure you that you don't have to worry about me.  I won't start any gaming project for a while, because I (like you) am still in the process of studying programming myself.  And when it comes to studying, Silence is Golden.  ^___~

QuoteBTW. I wouldn't consider myself a die-hard MM fan, but I own MM8 and have played most of the earlier ones.

I liked how MM8 looked, but do agree with the critics that it was kind of easy.  I beat it in a single rental. ^___^

I played most of the classic MMs and MM X/X2, but that's about it.  Not die hard myself, but certainly appreciative of the series -- enough to give in and get the Protoman download for MM9.  ^^;

I've always said that everyone's allowed at least ONE weakness.....  -v-

In more MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club-related news: Macs used in making of "I'm a PC" ads.
lulz

Oh yeah, that be old news but certainly unreported!  Good job! ^-^

My coworkers and I were ROFLing when we read a similar article.

Oh, and for the record...

"I'm an Amiga!"  ^v^

*chortle chortle snicker snicker*

Bella

I know this is SOOOOO old....but it made me laugh when I went back and read it:

QuoteWell no, thank YOU for listening and believing in yourself. Any lesser women would have just let all my advice drift into one ear and fly out the other. -v-

BELIEVE IN ME, WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!
C-Chan = New Kamina? Wait and see in the next episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren OS-Tan!

OMG! Nejin-san is right! C-Chan, your new nickname for life is gonna be C-Chamina. Yoko Ritona cosplay Bella says so.

But all has been well with K8 since the reinstallation; it's actually running Windows XP SP1, which can only be good.

In Linux in Unexpected Places news, I found myself in Lowe's--a big hardware/home store, like Home Depot-- tagging along on a search for a snowthrower for the coming winter. It's funny, cause since I started learning about different computers and OSes, I've taken more notice of different OSes and computers I encounter everyday. Well, I passed some very old looking computers in one of the departments and...gasp...what are they running? ZOMG! Linux! Well, I dunno that for sure, but I can say they were running GNOME, I'd recognize that anywhere. All the computers there seemed to be running Linux.

In Ad Nauseum news, I've been seeing those new "I'm a PC" Windows ads quite a bit. Initially, I found this ad to be a lot more effective than the other Billy Boy/Seinfeld ads, and a lot less....nonsensical...cause they actually drive the point that PCs can be used by people of all professions and interests. Golly, I'd say PCs and their users are even more diverse than these Windows ads make them out to be, cause some actually run real OSes! Unix, Linux, BSD, OS/2, a boatload of clones, and some real hardcore technical ones like Plan 9 and FreeVMS can all be run on PCs. I can honestly say I'm a PC, and I know there's life outside of Windows.

But M$'s hijacking of PC name is not my only problem with these ads. While the Mac vs. PC ads make the point that these dudes are representing the computers themselves, in the M$ "I'm a PC" ads this point gets completely lost. One thing really perplexes me, though-- how the bloody hell did M$ get the deeply profound, existential philosopher Deepak FRICKIN' Chopra to cameo in these ads!!!!?!!!? Lud, I guess everyone has their price, but I wouldn't expect someone like that doing a shill for such an evil company (or any company really).

Yoko Ritona cosplay Bella is damn confused.