What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simonorged

Okay so on my HP net-book I have three OS's, yesterday I took the OS that I was going to install and installed it on my laptop, it worked, but now I cant find it, I installed Ubuntu 12.10 what did I do wrong? Can I fix it, and if so how?
Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

hey guys, i changed over to my christmas backgrounds today, and for some reason the background shuffle isn't working. i don't really understand why, as all the parameters are set as they were before (shuffle, change every 30 minutes, keep it going even if on battery power), and there is even the same amount of backgrounds. i used to see one background carry over a bit longer sometimes, but that was usually if it changed in the middle of the normal cycle. these ones don't change at all, even when the half hour rolls around. i've been switching them manually, but frankly it's annoying. has anyone else had this sort of issue, or knows how to fix it? or should i just shut down my computer and see if it's fixed when it comes back on?
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

New(ish) Cosmo~ Geforce 7950 GT, AMD opteron 2212 quadcore, 8gb ram, (soon to be installed) 1tb space
~WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM~
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Chocofreak13

i heard today that one of the home editions can't shuffle the background. pretty sure it was basic, though. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

7 Home Basic is the only one that can't rotate wallpapers (Well, 7 Starter aside; which lacks wallpapers entirely). Given that it's not available in the US, you don't have to worry about it

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yeah. Vista Home Basic was available here, but 7 Home Basic was never released in the US; being exclusive to countries like China

Chocofreak13

lolchina. xDD

well, i fixed the shuffle issue, but i don't like that i can't set it to 30 minutes anymore. anything from 15-30 minutes, actually. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, as a project for the day (Since the copy of Amiga Workbench arrived, as well as the new mouse), I decided to make some upgrades to Twinkle; carrying over some good parts from the half-working Amiga 500 I obtained a few months prior.

Name: Twinkle (After a character from Puzzle Bobble 3 \ Bust-A-Move '99)
Model: Amiga 500
RAM: Approx. 1MB

She's now in a nicer looking case, with a 99.9% functional keyboard (The only keys that don't seem to work are the Q and 1 keys), a RAM upgrade card (With a clock to it...which thinks it's October 2010. No idea how to set it, though), and an upgraded Kickstart ROM (Replacing the 1.2 ROM that was originally in there with a 1.3 ROM pulled from the half-working one; which has a good motherboard at the very least). Now, to consider getting a hard drive; since I have the software needed to set one up...

LeaflameSD

Dell OptiPlex GX150 - Runs like a champ:

CPU: Pentium 3 "Coppermine" ~933MHZ
HDD: WDC Forgot-all-that-extra-crap IDE harddrive ~10GB
RAM: 256MB SDRAM
GPU: nVidia Riva TNT2 AGP (16MB)
SND: Sound Blaster emulation: Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 audio

Dell OptiPlex SX260:

CPU: Pentium 4 ~2GHZ
HDD: Toshiba Forgot-all-that-extra-naming-stuff IDE harddrive ~80GB
RAM: 256MB SDRAM
GPU: Intel chipset GPU
SND: Sound Blaster emulation: Analog Devices AC97

That's all I can remember! ^-^ I've got a few more rigs, but I don't know all the speccy info and all that.

Nichi

Very nice. That Optiplex sounds like one I used to have, which was the second draft of the 3rd revision of my custom PC that uses spare parts (The "Frankenstein" series). Ultimately just upgraded the processor in V2, moved the components to a better case, and renamed it Frankenstein V3.

You know, the Frankenstein series hasn't really progressed past V3; mostly because IDK where to go next with it. The only thing that would be a true evolution of it would be to take the leap to a small server running either a Pentium III Xeon or dual P3s, so for now, V3 is the last version.

Chocofreak13

someday frankie will make the leap to v4. but don't fix what isn't broken.

@leafy: uhm, i'd look into getting some more ram for that XP machine if i were you. when you upgrade to SP3 (and you will), you're gonna need a hell of a lot more than that. i have a machine i call shitty which was running XP at one point with less than a half a gig of ram, and she hated me. Saseko hated my guts with a passion.
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

I've been saying that since the summer of '11. Trouble with getting it is, I'm pretty dirt poor!

Chocofreak13

look around town, man! i'm one of the poorest people at this site and i got all my parts for free. but that's cause i'm a trash picker. and my high school used to put all their old computers in one location, so it was easy to go in and pick through the computer carcasses. -w- (all the ones from the district got dumped there, too, so i had quite a selection at times. -w- )
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

hell to the fuck to the yeah
1tb of space up in this ho
download all the games
i have been living on 66gb for the last year
this is going to be
AMAZING
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.