What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, I'm once again having problems out of Linux Mint :\

Apparently, the Update Manager is broken. There are several broken repositories it attempts to check, it hangs when checking for updates, and when I can actually get it to install the updates it was able to find, it gives an error about being "unable to lock the 'list' directory".

Is there any fix for this?

Cockleshell

I had basically the exact problem once.
I can't remember how I solved it, but it was an issue with packages being linked to old versions of applications, if I remember correctly.
My google-fu is not as strong now, seeing as I've switched to ALMIGHTY WINDOWS. Linux is okay for everything except gaming. /opinionderail
Do you have an option for checking for corrupted/broken packages?
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Nichi

I'll check for that when I get off work tonight. Thanks ^^

LeaflameSD

IBM NetVista (Windows XP is recommended!)

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 ~2.4GHZ
HDD: 40GB IDE Harddrive
RAM: 512MB RAM
SND: Intel AC97 audio

Chocofreak13

xp WOULD be a good match for that given the processor specs...but the hard drive is a touch small and the ram might not do ya well. but hey, that's the minimum requirement, so i'd go for it. after all, as nice as 2k is, if you want to download something and use it, chances are you're gonna need xp. but bring a cup of tea when you browse, since that thing'll be lagging like an elderly animal's reflexes.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, just tried what Cockle (And literally every other person on the internet, when I tried to look it up on Google) suggested. No effect; the updater on Mint is still broken. There were a few times it looked like it was working, but then it never progressed >_<

It's honestly pissing me off at this point, as there is no reason why this shouldn't work, and everything online tells me to clean out broken packages; which I already tried and it didn't help in the least. It looks like I might just have to reformat, upgrade to the next version, and hope it fixes everything.

Chocofreak13

i hope you figure it out. it would suck to have to reformat every time there's an update. :\
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Welp I found an old Pentium laptop outside my doorstep a while ago. But it has a BIOS password so... it's worth diddly squat. Here are the specs though:

Toshiba Satellite 210ct:
CPU: Intel Pentium ~120MHZ
HDD: 1.35GB harddrive
GPU: 800x600 SVGA video ~2MB
SPU: Onboard Sound Blaster 16

Nichi

Sucks about the BIOS password. That laptop sounds pretty cool :[

So, about to back up everything on Asagi and reinstall Mint. Will need to borrow grandma's connection again to get back some of the bigger things (Wine being the major one), but I can probably have her running normally by tonight

Chocofreak13

there must be some way to get rid of a BIOS password. >:\

@pent: good luck!
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

I could remove the CMOS battery, but I can't even find the darn thing anymore :(

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

@pent: let's hope you don't have to do this each time there's an update. =___=;

@leafy: i know what the CMOS is, for the record. i was asking if you already tossed the laptop, or if you just couldn't find the battery in all that mess. (laptops are a thing of layers, after all.) >>;
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

I can't even find it anymore, maybe my Dad threw it into oblivion. Luckily enough I still have some old rigs that need restoring.