What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

@Pent: .... I thought Compaq was pretty much HP at this point?

Quote from: Paul on October 17, 2012, 09:53:47 AM
Also rooted my i9300 with a JB-based custom rom (BLAZING fast and absolutely great) and was quite a little "WTF?" when the new bootsplash came up:  http://en.samaanet.com/?p=3941
It's the first GIF

AAAAAAH, THAT IS AMAZING.

Paul

I don't really get the hype about ponies, but I'm not complaining about that splash :P

And yep, HP has eaten Compaq some time ago, it's HP's low-budget brand now AFAIK.

Nichi

Paul got it for me.

But, even when Compaq was a different brand altogether, their laptops were always better. I mean, they gave us the first portable IBM-compatible

Chocofreak13

still, you shouldn't settle for low-end. GO FOR THE GOOOOLDD

and start planning for a new computer.
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I need to get more RAM for Katharine.  Not much though, probably only two/four GB.  Also her processor has apparently been overtaken by obsolescence.

Operation Power Mac has been postponed yet another day, to 10:45AM tomorrow.

Bella

Eve has a 2.93ghz processor and 4gb RAM, sometimes programs are laggy but I've always blamed that on the program (like the especially-troublesome Firefox, which updates every two weeks and the new version is ALWAYS laggy as shit) or my bizarre artistic habits (you'd be hard-pressed to find a single photoshop image in my art folder that has less than 30 layers, fewer than 8000x4000 pixels and is less than 200mb.....) Not to mention my penchant for virtualizing other operating systems (though having a Windows machine has eliminated most of my Windows VM usage).

Nichi

Asagi has a 2.1Ghz AMD Sempron with her RAM maxed out at 4GB. She handles decently for most things, but has issues with Firefox (I have to use Opera now, as Firefox is barely usable on Asagi), SpringBoard (Due to that site's Flash-based video player being terribly coded), and Rising Antivirus (It nearly triples the boot-up time, compared to Asagi with Avast)

The current secondary laptop in the fleet, Sara, has a 1.2Ghz PowerPC G4 with 768MB RAM. She works well for lighter stuff (Basic web browsing, Skype, etc.), and is small enough to serve as a nice alternative to using my iPod Touch when I know I'm going to be in an area with wifi for an extended period, or if I'm letting my sister borrow Asagi (She's one of very few people I'd trust with my primary laptop)

I've considered adding in a new laptop and shuffling around the current laptop lineup; Asagi would become my secondary laptop, while Sara would become the laptop I take along with me to the library \ coffee shop \ other place with free wifi.

Chocofreak13

slowly chipping away at the files left on TK. once that's done, TK will temporarily be mum's until he's returned to mel.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kari: Very nice :3

So, I ended up revising the setup on Asagi once more; going back to the idea of dual-booting Windows and Linux. So, now Asagi currently runs Fedora 17 LXDE Spin and Windows 7 Professional

stewartsage

Kat's 2.2 GHz dual core is fine with a lot of day to day processing tasks, but the second I try to tackle anything heavier she starts to slow down.

Nichi

Mmm. Sounds like Asagi, except Asagi has a single-core processor

Which, I'm waiting on Skype to reinstall on the Windows side

Bella

@Stew: I still think you should build a gaming computer when you get the money/time to. Nothing outlandish, just enough to comfortably run your games.

stewartsage

Why on earth would I want to build a whole new computer?  I just got this one a couple years ago.

Bella

For gaming! There's nothing wrong with having two or three computers for different uses... like me with my desktop/laptop/smartphone combo.

NejinOniwa

Bella, I would never have expected you to say that, but I'm fucking proud of you now.

YEAH!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS