What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

@bella: the stuff i'm sending you isn't going to be heavy by any means, but it'll be heavier than the stuff you're sending me. the thinclient laptop is only about 5 lbs (according to the manual), while i'd estimate that the two containers you have wouldn't add up to 1. but tbh, it can fit in a flat-rate box, so i'll investigate shipping prices later this week.

@pent: alright, i'll try to discuss the ram situation with mum. but i might wait a few days. we just bought some stuff last night. ^^;;

also, would it just be easier to send a money order for the amount your way?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yeah, that would be best; rather than the RAM going from Newegg to you to me and then back to you in your laptop

Chocofreak13

well, i'd have it shipped to you. but it still seems easier that way. could you refresh my memory on the price?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

It was $55 for the RAM, and I remember you said you'd cover the approx. $16 to ship it (I'll recalculate the price once I'm further along)

Bella

Thanks K, tell me when you find out how much shipping will be.

Chocofreak13

@bella: sure thing, i'll post it here.

@pent: $71, okay.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Nichi

Very nice ^_^

So, are you dual-booting it with Windows 7, or outright switching?

Bella

It was just a live CD test run, I'm gonna try out Mint too and then decide which I want to dual-boot with.

Nichi

Sounds good. Linux Mint is really nice, the bit I've used of it :3

Chocofreak13

i'd say ubuntu if you're running 7 alongside it. but 7 can run on older hardware, too, so if that's the case mint might be better since it's less stress from what i know.

of course, i'm the wrong person to consult about this. since well, i've never used linux. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

I'm not actually sure if Mint is more lightweight than Ubuntu these days...

Today I was given a Powerbook 3400c (1997) and 520c (1994). The 3400c turns on, but the screen stays blank white... :/

Nichi

I wish I'd be given random old Apple computers, even if they don't work ;_;

Chocofreak13

what of the other one? doesn't turn on? :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, the 3rd hard drive for Kari's laptop has landed. It actually fits this time

Now, all I need to do is install Windows, the software she needs, and upgrade the RAM :3