What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Dude! I was just reading about those last week! Nifty little gadget, though i imagine it's quite a step backward after using a GS3 ... I could be wrong though.

Paul

@Bells: It's really surprisingly fast! Takes some time to boot up and not everything always works smoothly (reading contacts from the SIM fails sometimes and other minor issues), but it's lots of fun to play with it. The build quality is just top notch, it "feels" way better than the GS3, or even an iPhone in my hands (a little heavier and chubbier, but also smaller), but I generally am not really fond of ultra-thin stuff so I might be biased.

The on-screen keyboard is a little finicky though and the Wi-Fi antenna doesn't have the greatest reception, also for flashing the firmware you need a program called dfu-util (or its graphical script counterpart neotool) that runs best on Linux PCs. And the battery life is quite low, about 7h I guess. Of course, if you compare it with a high-end consumer device like the GS3 it's still a little rough around the edges. But snap a microsd in connect it to the USB charger and ssh to it over wifi -> hello, little ARM-based debian pc with telephone capabilities :D

Chocofreak13

*puts on flame-proof suit*

so i've decided to build a desktop for my sister's friend/coworker. she and her sister share an apartment where they leech internet off their neighbor for their ipods....but they have no computer. and i think that's a crying shame. so an old yet useable computer they will recieve!

i'll keep you guys posted with the details of the project, but for right now i face one large roadblock: where to get a wireless card. that's not exactly standard fare for the school to throw out, so i'm kinda stuck in that respect, especially since i can't find a recycling centre nearby like what pent has (where you can go shop; all the ones around here seem like they're more aimed at corporations and schools where they take bulk batches and recycle them immediately). i've asked pent to look at the place near him, but if anyone has a spare card lying around, perhaps a donation of some sort might be in order...?
in the meantime, i'm gonna hit up the local places for prices. -w-
click to make it bigger

Bella

I'd suggest checking Craisgslist and going to any nearby used computer / electronics stores ('cause they often take broken computers in and part them out).

If you give me the specs of the card you're looking for, I can see if I can find one at the used electronics shop in town.

In misc. computer news... I just downloaded Paint Tool SAI on Xue... IDK what to make of it yet, but it seems like the pen sensitivity/control is excellent (ie, I can see why many artists do lineart in SAI).

Nichi

@Kari: I'll try to head that way as soon as possible. Maybe I'll find something that'll work fairly quickly :3

So, I just upgraded the RAM on my sister's netbook. It seems to be running fine with Ubuntu 11.10 at the moment

Chocofreak13

@bella: the only requirements for the card are 1. it comes with any nessacary drivers/installation CDs (i'd rather not have to scour for hours), 2. it fits in a standard expansion slot for a motherboard (i'd be surprised if you found one that didn't), 3. it is absolutely wireless (no other options, since they can't afford their own internet), and 4. it's gotta be cheap (the local (good) computer place has them for $30; shoot for less than that).

@pent: it's appriciated, since microseconds, the local reccomended computer place, had them for $30 new, and nothing in the salvage bin.

today, when i went to microseconds looking for a card, i found a present for Tanky in the salvage pile: a PCMCIA card! it's to add 2 USB 2.0 slots onto the computer. came with a floppy disk and CD of the drivers for $5. :3

tomorrow, i go to the school to salvage some parts. -w-
click to make it bigger

Bella

Good luck K!

Also, Xue seems to be losing time.... I think the CMOS battery needs replacing. -__-

I've only replaced one CMOS battery and it was on a G3 iMac. Does anyone know where I might find the battery on a notebook? Am I going to have to take the whole case apart to get at the mobo, or what? :z

Nichi

It varies. Some are setup like Asagi; so the battery is in the same compartment on the bottom as the RAM

Your best bet is to search online for a repair guide for your laptop. The manufacturer should have one on their website

Krizonar

Isn't that the PC laptop you just got, or am I mistaken?

Nichi

Chocofreak13

DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM IT'S JUST ANOTHER THING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT
got to talk to my old computer teacher, who informed me that the week before they had tossed a ton of laptops. sadly the students had been picking through the pile, so he told me they were gone. >>;
i went to the pile and found a desktop that seems an alright basis.....and the last laptop there!!! it's in great shape, too! so now i have a base for the computer i'm building for my sister's coworker, and a future laptop for my mum. ^^
i've already purchased some ram, and one stick is in it. now, i need a bigger stick of ram (i got 2 sticks, 512mb each), a hard drive, and a charger. the processor isn't the greatest (by a long shot) but the guy i talked to at microseconds is convinced it'll be able to run XP just fine. and it has a nice DVD drive in it, too. :3

[Unnamed Laptop]
Model: HP Compaq 6720t
Year: 2008
Hard Drive: [none]
RAM: 512mb (currently)
Processor: Intel Celeron 1.06 MHz
Other: 3 USB ports, onboard wireless, modem and LAN hookups, external monitor support, PCMCIA slot

gonna look into a hard drive for mommy~~~ <33333

EDIT: i really opened a can of worms with this one. seems that if it looks like a laptop, and sounds like a laptop, and operates like a laptop, it's secretly a thinclient. i'm not even convinced this thing can take a hard drive, or has ever had one. doesn't help that HP's site is giving me the runaround as usual, and the support manual isn't exactly helpful either. let's hope google yields better results. ><;;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Not to make light of your situation, but I've always wanted a thin client for experimentation.

It's not what you wanted, but it sounds like an interesting find at any rate.

@Pent, Kriz: It's the "new" laptop, but it IS a 2 1/2 year old machine.

At any rate, it's still under the seller's warranty so I might ask if he can put the battery in.

Chocofreak13

if you want it, i could mail it to you. it's either you or the garbage. and it's in great shape.
click to make it bigger

Bella

If you're just gonna get rid of let, lemme have it. ;^; I've been wanting to experiment with making a server accessible by a thinclient for awhile now, so this would be perfect.

Let me know what the shipping will be ... though I guess you could just send it back with my sweatshirt, since I doubt it takes up very much room or weighs very much.

Speaking of which, I still have to send your doll supplies back. >> Depending on the price of shipping for those, I guess we might be able to call it a trade? ^^;

Nichi

I just ordered a hard drive for Kari's laptop...again. This time, the drive is the proper height, so everything should be good from here. Just need her to send me the RAM :3