|creator= C-Chan
|debut= Preconcept, February 2007; finished, September 2007

|osper= (Bell Labs) Unix
|osdev= Bell Labs, AT&T
|reldate= Summer 1969
|lastrel= Unknown (mid-1970s?)

|fnote= "Comments on the character."
}}

Unix is an OS originally developed in 1969 by AT&T employees at Bell Labs, notably Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and Douglas McIlroy. It was originally developed to run on the PDP-7, a small minicomputer considered no more than a glorified graphics display by many. Because of its sparse development conditions, Unix became a radical departure from the OS designs of the day; intentionally built to be small, simple, flexible and highly portable. From there it was ported to the PDP-11, and in 1973 was rewritten entirely in C. Unix quickly caught on as an academic OS. AT&T had been forbidden to enter the computer industry by an anti-trust lawsuit, and thus sell Unix as a product; but this didn’t stop its creators from sending out tapes running Unix, and source code, to those who asked.

Bell Labs’ Unix went on to have many releases as a research and academic OS, with V7 being considered the “last true (research) Unix”. Its direct descendants include BSD, System V, and Plan 9, to name a few of the most known ones; these OSes went on to inspire all Unixes we see today, like Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and even Mac OS X. It also inspired the creation of countless more Unix-like OSes, systems that--while not related in code--work as a Unix would.

The history behind Unix, especially its connection to Multics, is an inextricable and long story; but it is accepted that the creators of Unix saw that complexity and budget problems nearly killed Multics on several occasions, and wished to avoid this fate with Unix. Indeed, Unix does carry some traits from Multics; but is the opposite in design and philosophy.

While very old in years, Unix-sama is physically depicted as a young teenage girl of around five feet tall, a reference to Unix’s small, simplistic design. Her hair is long and dark purple; her piercing eyes are blue, with the Bell Labs logo implanted in them, and wears glasses. She has horned owl ears, owls symbolically carrying connotations of wisdom, truth, and darkness (as well as traditionally holding associations with goddesses and magical powers). She often dresses in plain, professional clothing, referencing Unix’s no-frills appearance and design, boots, and wields a polished aluminum staff inscribed with roman numerals, each said to stand for a tenet of the Unix Philosophy. Since the 1990s, she has been all but confined to a wheelchair, due to emotional--and some physical-- trauma which occurred the Unix Wars.

Unix-sama is very intelligent and a skilled mind-gamer; capable of manipulating and defeating enemies without the use of physical force. While she was born without any knowledge of sorcery, in her youth she gained some powers; fire control being one of her most used ones.

I still have to write a bit (lawl understatement) more, but I wonder what y'all think of it so far. I couldn't decide if I should list Unix as Unix-sama or -tan; I figure, since we've always referred to this character as -sama, that's how I should list her.

Plus...

...I didn't wanna become the shoe-throwing target for an angry Ma Bell Labs!

*has shoe thrown at back for referring to the Goddess as "Ma Bell Labs"*

Aurora Borealis

Her article looks great and although it's just a start, it is very comprehensive! ;010

On the dilemma of how to refer to Unix, you should keep the references to her as Unix-sama, but also add in the character footnotes that she is always referred to as Unix-sama or simply Unix.

When I wrote EXEC-sama's article, I the -sama suffix for her throughout.

However... in the Multics-article, you referred to Multics-sama as Multics-tan! XD

C-Chan

Aww crap!  Forgot all about this!  Okay, I'll set it up.... ^^'

Added after 1 hours 4 minutes:

Finished -- not gonna win any awards, but I'm pressed for time as it is.  ^^;

In any event, as for what I wanted to say earlier....

1)  Thank you all again for your continued work efforts!  I'm astonished at the level of detail poured into the articles you've written.  ^__^

2)  Ever since I entered semi-retirement, I officially renounced my Wiki Moderator-dom to Fedora-Tan.  That might explain why I'm not active here much (though I guess i was never THAT active to begin with).  However, due to XYZ reasons, I'm still stuck with the label, so not sure what to do at this point.  -.-'

3)  However, while I may not be much into editing the Wiki anymore, I DO intend to use a lot of the articles in my future OS-tan Concentration game.  ^^

Considering the huge scope of characters, as well as the [admittedly quite remote] possibility that non-OSC members might try the game, I need to make sure it comes with a small guide/encyclopedia of all the OS-tans.  Fortunately, there's no need to type one up from scrap -- not whe we already have one built per se.  ^__^

Naturally, the game's character guide won't be anywhere near as formal, so there's almost free reign over what gets written in it.  If the game gets built, I see it as a new opportunity to give our OS-tan characters and stories a more "portable" longevity.  ^^

Siya

I don't know what the future of the wiki is going to look like, right now, but I figured I'd submit this Mutagenix-tan avi while I'm thinking of it.  

Tsubashi

Thank you Siya-sama! The current state of the wiki is, as you can probably tell, crashed, but the problem has been isolated and I am doing all I can to gain access to the systems necessary to fix it. Thank you for your patience! ^v^
-Tsu

Aurora Borealis

I had a crazy idea and a necropost: Once again I'm trying to revive the OS-tan wiki project, updating articles that really needed updates, create new ones, update OS-tan avatars that really need revamps, and trying to archive all of the OS-tan backstories, conjectures and such*

I'm mainly focused on the articles of the OSC-created OS-tans and I will especially need help with the canon Windows-tans articles as well as that of Windows 7-tan. We have a long ways to go x__x

*Although the OS-tan conjectures thread here is dead along with other art threads that created several OS-tan characters, a lot of new OS-tan activity still takes place at the OS-tan club on DeviantART:
DeviantOS-tans @ DeviantART (Check DeviantOS-tans's forum section for new activity! You might even recognize some artists from there! :D )

Kiso

Hmm... I thought this was active before... guess not. Anyways, I think I can get back into this... so long as it doesn't interfere with my studies... I don't mind if it interferes with my life though, I tend to do different things from time to time anyways.

In any case... I should at least re-bookmark the wiki... since I lost it after several recovery/restore/re-install sessions. Besides, I go there a lot to check on links to other sites with OS-tans. lol

*goes over to wiki*
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Aurora Borealis

Right now I am systematically giving categories to each OS-tan article, or as much as my stamina will allow! @__@

Anyways, I am glad to hear that you might participate again!

Kiso

Well... I just created the Win7 thread... going to give a little bit of stuff to have it ready for later editing.

Also, it's the least I could do for something that may prove fun for some, beneficial for others... and worthwhile to those who wish to spend time doing something. All three apply to myself. lol
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Aurora Borealis

Nice! :D

There are already a lot of Windows 7-tan designs to write about but that shouldn't be a problem to you. After all, you did greatly expand on the Vistan article and documented all of the major Vistan designs!

Still in the process of re-categorizing articles but I created a new category, the vintage category!

EDIT: The OSC Manga Guide section is updated to include the Mac Manga article and a greatly overhauled zerOSanity article! ^_^

Kiso

LOL Note: Although it is late to give mention of it... I had begun giving color to the oh-so dull looking templates. Whatever happened to the system before killed the color features on them.

Also, I wonder how a theme is done... this place sure needs to be brought much more alive that what it currently is.

Aurora Borealis

I created the article for Stratus VOS-tan, created a stub article for Windows 97-tan, updated Windows 3.1-tan's article (a lot of the information was very outdated!) and broke up the 98 + 98SE-tan article into two separate articles.

Kiso

Woah... at last that is done... kinda' something needed considering they're actually two separate '-tans.

Anyways... I was wondering something after looking at the wiki closely...

Whatever happened to the better-looking skin that it had? Also, is there any chance of another skin coming into the equation for... you know... being brought up as default?

Tsubashi

The skin probably dies when the wiki crashed a while back, but Fedora-dono is awfully cooperative, so if we want to design and code up a new skin, I am sure he would have no problem putting it into effect. ^.^
-Tsu