What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

How much RAM does that PC have, anyway? My grandma's desktop at her office only has 256MB for Windows XP Professional to share with a metric ton of pointless junk; it's a wonder that it can boot up in less than 10 minutes with how loaded down it is

Chocofreak13

you know, i think that's exactly how much my grandmother's has. =__=;

either way, it's too slow to download anything (downloading IE9 was supposed to take 4&½ hours).

[ragemode]
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

You could try Chome.  It's very small and easy to use.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Kraus

I enjoy chrome but it loves to chew at your Memory and allows Google to get your info and stuff... firefox serves me well enough along with IE9 being pretty nice for IE...

Chocofreak13

i don't want to complicate things by adding a whole bunch of programs, so i'm gonna stick with IE. i'm probably just gonna have to download it seperately and put it on with a flash drive.

i'd like to see if i could trade in the laptop to the local computer repair store, though, since 256 meg is not going to get them by. :\ not enough for their patience, anyway. :\

if not, i might try to downgrade it to windows 2000. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Firefox is the best; although Chrome is nice, SeaMonkey is great but sadly overlooked, and I can't stand Internet Explorer.

@Choco: A downgrade to Windows 2000 would likely be a good thing with how little RAM it has, unless they have the money to let you upgrade the RAM (Which, if you go that route, I know of a site where you can look up the model number to figure out how much it can handle)

Chocofreak13

if i was to upgrade anything, i'd take it to the computer store to have it upgraded.

i use opera. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I've never used Opera aside from a demo of a Pocket PC version on Mikuru. Even though it was outdated, it was still better than the even more outdated version of Pocket Internet Explorer that was on there

Chocofreak13

maybe you should give the current version a try....?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I might download it later and try it out; since, aside from Chrome and Internet Explorer, I've never ventured outside of browsers that have heritage with Netscape (Like Firefox)

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to reformat my mom's laptop; the virus scan found nothing wrong, but apparently there is something on there which disabled something, leading to Windows claiming it's a bootleg version. However, I'm not even sure if reinstallation is possible; seeing as they put the restore files on the hard disk instead of giving out a DVD with it (Which makes it very likely that if there's some kind of virus, it could have already infected the restore files), and the product key on the bottom is too faded to read.

I have a feeling when I get off work, I'll be drafted into reformatting it...

Red-Machine

Nah, you should be fine.  Just invoke the recovery manager when the machine boots.  It may  say what butyton to press at the BIOS POST screen, otherwise just google the model number and "recovery partition" or words to that effect.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

is it running XP? my brother gave me a bootleg copy with the information that if the computer sees it as bootleg, that you should google something along the lines of "windows xp genuine hardware fix" (i can't remember the exact words) and there should be instructions on how to solve the problem, since microsoft had problems in the early days of XP where people with genuine copies were being seen as bootleg (so microsoft made a patch to fix the problem).
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Not to brag, but I'm fairly certain I'm the local authority on how2fix windows bootleggan problems...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i'm just relaying what russell told me to do when my sister tried to update her laptop and let the cat out of the bag about the bootleg. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, my mom just reformatted it herself; thankfully saving me from the trouble when I got off work.

Also, said laptop runs on Windows 7, and is identical to Asagi aside from being mostly silver (Due to being an HP instead of Compaq) and it having a Celeron instead of a Sempron.