What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

:\

is it normal for a game made for windows 95 to cause lag on a pc running windows 7?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Depends on the game; there are some that have compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows that can cause it to run slowly. The 1997 remake of Frogger is one I've run into in my experience; the game is unplayable on anything I own except the Yeti, because compatibility issues with versions of Windows newer than 98SE drags the framerate to a crawl regardless of how powerful everything else is.

Dr. Kraus

OSX 10.4 AKA Tiger... I've started to become a Macintosh user...again...it feels...right.

Chocofreak13

@pentium: that's so weird. you'd think that a low-res game like that would be fine for a newer computer. backwards compatibility my ass. >:\

@kraus: good for you! always better to go with what feels right. that's why i insist on using windows and linux programs in my mac-and-adobe based school. ^^
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

On my Mac Mini, which is so cute that I just want to pet it, it runs Snow Leopard as well although it's a bit old. It's a good old friend, had this ever since Leopard came out, so it's about to turn 5 soon.

Chocofreak13

aw. :3

and 5 isn't that old.....tanky is 12....
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

5 is a tad old for something running everything perfectly up to date. It shows on her statuses too, her harddrive, memory, temperature and cpu all read much...MUCH higher than Mac's.
She'll have a screenshot soon, I'm optimizing her right now, stripping unused architectures and deleting language files.

Chocofreak13

looking forward to it. :3

eh, i'd say that speedy's the same, but she's not THAT bad (or THAT old, for that matter :\)
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Another thing is Snow is a base model, while Mac is the top of the line everything maxed model.

She's definitely useable and still does things fast, just her numbers sit a little high... like, she's using nearly 70% ram right now and I don't have STO open.

Chocofreak13

:\

what do you mean, base model? i don't get it. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Because of all the talk about Macs, here's a rundown of what my old iMac was like:

The Mac of the fleet: iMac (1st generation Bondi Blue, revision B)
Name: Bulbasaur (The coloring, as well as the bulb shape of the original iMac, reminded me of a Bulbasaur)
Processor: PowerPC G3 (233Mhz)
RAM: 32MB

After wanting to get myself a Mac of some kind for years, I finally had my dream come true when I found an original bondi blue iMac, fully working, for $20 at a garage sale. It ran great, aside from the fact I had to pull the logic board to do a CUDA reset if it gets unplugged or if there's a power outage, due to it needing a new battery. However, after a few months, the monitor began to flicker badly; as I pulled it from active use to avoid further damage while I did research to see if there was some way to fix it. Sadly, while it can be fixed, it's just not worth it with how expensive the stuff I'd need would be; it's cheaper to hunt down an iMac G4 then to fix the G3 I have, which ultimately spelled the end for poor Bulbasaur. Also, I never did get to beat Nanosaur, like I intended on doing...

Krizonar

Like, she has the standard ram, standard HDD, etc, nothing on her is custom, she's just a standard model from '07.

Chocofreak13

@pentium: aw, how sad. :[ well, maybe someday.
@kriz: ahhh. okie. -w-
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

@choco: Well, I'm an avid Windows user (due to school and my job being surrounded by it) and I also get to use Linux much of the time (The teacher I TA for [teachers assistant] lets me run a computer that isn't blocked off like the rest of the computers within the school). I grew up with  Macintosh computers (None of this "MAC" stuff, Macintosh is what I will always call it), hell, even my dad's first personal Macintosh (Macintosh PowerPC 8100) was named after me and the first system I ever got to use. I have fond memories of that Macintosh, I've got such a strong connection to it that I won't let my dad get rid of it (not that we need to, its retro and reminds us of where my dad's company started off on)! I've talked to my dad about the system a few times though and I've only seen him boot it up once (around 1/2 a year ago) since we got a Windows95 machine in the house. My dad and I decided that the system is much to old to sell off and i have too much of a connection to it so, we are going to gut the system, keep the motherboard and all other parts, put a new motherboard in along with other parts, clean it up a little, put OSX on it, make it a custom "retro" macintosh for me to use while in Collage. I love macintosh, but my work is Windows based so having a macintosh isn't worth it (though I could just load Windows onto one, it would be a waste of money in my eyes) so I'm really glad that my client gave me this PowerBook G4 (which has only a minor blemish on the bottom) and now I have my favorite version of OSX on here!

Chocofreak13

dude.
torrent mac OSX
gut a system and tweak it to fit
load the os
hackintosh. -w-

also, this doesn't fit here at all, but PEOPLE
COLLEGE = UPPER SCHOOL
COLLAGE = TYPE OF HODGE-PODGE ART

><;;
click to make it bigger