What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

you guys are all giving me finland face. honestly, you guys NEVER get the right to complain about how much i post EVER again. >__<

@bella: i'm not trying to bash macs. i'm just bashing the phrase 'macs are better for art than PCs".
@red: yeah, it varies from region to region. here, most support sucks for dells (from my experience), and my sister's dell's screen is coming apart. poor thing can't even hold up its own head. :\ on the other hand, the support people for my HP were very patient, helpful, and nice. :3
and since when was taking apart a laptop easy? :\

@nej: you have an ASUS, not an ACER. *facepalm*
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Macs used to be better for art than PCs (back in the days of Classic), but nowadays, there really isn't a difference, since OSX and Windows can run many of the same graphics programs. Use what ever works best for you!

Red-Machine

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 16, 2011, 12:31:35 AMand since when was taking apart a laptop easy? :\

I was talking about desktops, but Dell laptops are easy to work on, too.  To change the CPU or graphics card in ChachaGo, all I need to do is remove the keyboard and then I have access!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Red-Machine on May 16, 2011, 03:17:36 AM
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 16, 2011, 12:31:35 AMand since when was taking apart a laptop easy? :\

I was talking about desktops, but Dell laptops are easy to work on, too.  To change the CPU or graphics card in ChachaGo, all I need to do is remove the keyboard and then I have access!

I love that, I don't need to rip the entire laptop apart to do anything different to it!

Chocofreak13

:\

@aurora: that's exactly what i mean. people still have the stigma that "macs are made for art" in their minds. all the pics i put in free cookies a few weeks ago were made on a windows, using linux programs. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

@Choco: Those stigmas are annoying. I use a Mac for my graphics work (and well, everything) because it's most familiar to me, but I have used Windows without problems for the most part too. *shrugs*

Today I tried out FreeDOS running under Virtual Box.

Bella

Lol, I read "FreeDOS" as "FreeBSD" at first glance... I was about to give you some sort of medal. xD;

Aurora Borealis

Aww... :(

Maybe I should try that too?

Chocofreak13

now if you could run free bsd in virtualbox inside of freeDOS on virtualbox, that'd be pretty cool. 8)

or course, i've never emulated, so i can't really comment. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I'm struggling to run FreeDOS, and I barely got past the installation process but I'm stuck. x_x

Today, I tried out Menuet OS!

The 64-bit version didn't install, but the 32-bit version works. It's a neat OS, it's full-featured, has a nice GUI, can play DOOM (really- it's one of the games bundled with it!), and is small enough to boot from a floppy! However, it's still in the beta stage (the 32-bit version more so, since it updates slower) and some programs are more/less stable than others, or maybe because Virtual Box is fickle at times. Who knows?

The paint program is definitely in its alpha stage though.

Bella

That is so cool Aurora! I salute you for trying out such a strange OS! : D

Chocofreak13

*applause* it sounds so cool! ^^

also, I WANT THAT DESKTOP BACKGROUND. O___O
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 16, 2011, 11:34:01 PM
now if you could run free bsd in virtualbox inside of freeDOS on virtualbox, that'd be pretty cool. 8)

BWONG

Chocofreak13

well, leo decaprio ≠ nerdy enough to emulate.

now, the rock = nerdy enough to emulate.

(dat pic was funny though :3)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

That picture reminded me of a crazy setup I had going at one time; with an old Sega Genesis emulator I liked using, running under Windows 95 in an emulator under Windows XP. As cool as it was getting to use that emulator again, there was just too much button lag for it to be plausible for anything other than turn-based RPGs; I learned the hard way when I tried to play Sonic 2 with that setup...