What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

XP Performance Edition, running Stardock ObjectDesktop using a custom nVidia theme with an nVidia GeForce2 Go graphics chip.  Look them up, if you don't believe me.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

stewartsage

NejinOniwa

Instead of going on a rant, I refer you to the picture above this post.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on May 06, 2011, 12:41:31 AM
But you COULD claim you're using a nonstandard version of Windows NT 6.1 with a graphics shell, Aero and whatnot. Or VMS2 6.1, if one would dare speak of it that way.

NT 6.1, certainly - but claiming that any NT-based Windows is a modified version of VMS is like saying that any *Nix OS is a "modified version or Multics". In the loosest sense, it's true... but only in the loosest sense.

Quote from: Red-Machine on May 06, 2011, 06:38:40 AM
And I could claim I'm running a modified, highly streamlined and optimised version of Windows NT 5.1 on my laptop that is powered by teh awesomeness that is nVidia (both physically and graphically).

Wait... I am.  I win!

Not to dis you: I don't understand your love for graphics cards. I will never understand. I am cool with this.

Also: saying "I win" on teh internets is like wearing an Ed Hardy hat IRL. It gives a bad impression to anyone who sees it.. >______>

Chocofreak13

@bella: unless you're playing the game "i win". :3

still running windows 7. however, she has Teto's voice, and my phone has Nanami's voice. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I think the most modified version of Windows I ever used was the version of Windows 95 I had on a laptop that, sadly, no longer exists; I used ResHack to relabel it as "Windows 96", had some unofficial modifications installed to patch the crippling memory leak in Internet Explorer 5, and even had Program Manager fully take the place of the taskbar to make it feel like a strange hybrid of 3.11 and 95.

It was surprisingly awesome...but that laptop unfortunately died on me; taking my strange, customized version of Windows with it.

EDIT:
That replacement to the OverDrive processor for the Yeti showed up. This time, it was a success; it may not have MMX, but it's leaped from 75Mhz to 200Mhz with this upgrade without tinkering with jumpers, and my USB ports still function. Now, to max out the RAM...

Chocofreak13

good luck. personally, i don't think i have the guts to mess with something as advanced as processors. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I admit, I was a little uncomfortable messing with processors at first. However, I took a chance upgrading the processor on one of the members of my fleet I cared less about (A very pathetic Dell Optiplex GX110 that I'll be getting rid of soon); replacing it's 866Mhz Pentium 3 with a 1Ghz Pentium 3 pulled from another PC that had a fried motherboard. It worked very well; getting it up to a point that I could just barely play MapleStory on it if I turned the graphics down as low as possible.

The only problem I ever had with a drop-in processor upgrade was with that Pentium MMX OverDrive processor for the Yeti; I had to mess with more jumpers than necessary just to get it to boot, and then came the fact that anytime I plugged anything into it's USB ports (Even a mouse), it'd get a BSOD unlike any I had seen in 15+ years of using Windows. Thankfully, this new processor (A plain 200Mhz Pentium with a special adapter to bypass the 100Mhz limitation of the motherboard; allowing it to run at full speed) works a lot better. Funny how the 3rd party solution works better than the one actually designed by Intel

Chocofreak13

sometimes, patchy, bootleg fixes are better. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Good news everyone; after an epic bidding war over on eBay, I just won a complete-in-box copy of Windows 2000 for only $30 after shipping. To summerize the experince:

Chocofreak13

*slow clap* very nice, man, very nice. -w-
click to make it bigger

Bella

I still don't get the concept of paying for abandonware.... ._____.;

Chocofreak13

well, i didn't pay for my abandonware....
i UN-ABANDONED IT

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

Well, I had this CD-R my uncle burned me years ago, but dammit; it doesn't have the pretty shiny hologram of awesomeness on top, instead having "WINDOS 2K" written exactly like that on the disc.