What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

idk if he can, since he's unfamiliar. :\

kid, ask your dad. >__<
click to make it bigger

Paul

It's not a bad computer, but it depends on what you're gonna use it for. The G4 might be a little underpowered for some applications and I believe the graphics are also fairly midrange... And yeah, a RAM upgrade might be advisable.
AFAIK the G4 macs were pretty good machines and are quite popular because of their quite unique design.

Dr. Kraus

Booted up my MAC G3 today for fun, still running like a champ!

Red-Machine

I just upgraded mine to Tiger.  It was wierd, it doesn't have Firewire ports, but I didn't need to use XPostFacto to install it...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

CanaryTan

gonna downgrade to windows 2000 :3
I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.

Chocofreak13

since the beginning post also mentioned make and model of computer, here is speedy:
http://www.notebooklist.net/hp/hp-pavilion-dv6500-ct-special-edition.html
:3
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: CanaryTan on March 06, 2011, 03:37:22 PM
gonna downgrade to windows 2000 :3

Good luck finding hard ware drivers and such for 2000 if its a newer computer... the internet and such will also be a hassle due to flash, java, and ect. being constantly updated to newer versions not supported by Win2K

Bella

I think Canary-chan should virtualize Windows 2000... it'd be much easier than having to install it on a newer comp. : \

svx

I decided to try Sabayon...  Ehh... You know... The Gentoo-based Linux distro?

I ams likes it! It took a long time to get to this point. GUI stuff, that is.

Pretty...

Binary packages are tough to get used to, but I still get to use portage, and I still get to use my own portage tree!

Hey, why doesn't Sabayon have an OS-tan? I scoured the interwebs. The various Linuxes don't have anywhere near as many awesome anime-based wallpapers as Windowses do!  If I ever become good at drawing manga, the world will change. :p

svx

Whoa, you found one! Cool :)

But... how can she possibly compete with this cuteness in the wallpaper arena? -

CanaryTan

So yeah, back to xp for awhile.
-w- i told my dad maybe we could install one of my favorite linux distros on there and maybe see if my software will work with wine. Never had ANY luck with wine but eh, might work this time, hopefully.
He said we could try it ;D

svx

Wine has improved a lot lately!

Julliard and other Wine coders are some hard working guys, I have to say...  They've taken a (what I believed to be) pipe dream and turned it into something that runs all the Windows apps I care about!  Except games, but there's always special Wine ports for that...

Well, there were. I guess. WineX/Cedega started up with that "I'll steal their source code and profit from it thing," but WineX used to have free ports available that didn't include their SecuROM and Safedisc code

CanaryTan

I'm installing my OS Flyte, atm!
yay!!!!!! ^^

Chocofreak13

hope everyone's computers work out. ^^

i dug out the copy of ME that red sent me, and my friend jokingly said that i could partition speedy to run ME as well as 7...... o__o; (i think not)

there's a random computer sitting at the foot of my bed. it was supposed to be for my mom, but i might ask if she doesn't want it, and install something else on it. :3

and then ask for shitty back from my brother, since he hasn't done shit with it (lol bad pun) since i gave it to him last year. >:\
click to make it bigger

svx

What OS should I install on random new computer that I have?

It's for random friends who neglect their laptops... Hmm... Win7? I'd rather have something non-NT so that it can play older DOS games...