CG renders

Started by Randalt, October 24, 2006, 02:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randalt

I own Poser (ver. 5) character rendering software, and have gone ahead and made a render of Firefox-ko. Needs a lot of work, especially in textures/clothes creation. Basically it's the AnimeDoll figure with some free ear & tail props, which take some jiggering to fit as they weren't made for this figure! Creating custom clothing takes skills I'm still developing.

Tune in next month for a better version!

Alex Stankevitch

Wow, thats really something brilliant...

C-Chan

Awesome Blossom, Randalt!  ^__^

Do you create your art entirely from Poser or do you use it for pre-work modeling?
I own Poser 6 myself, but up until now haven't used it much except to model the bodies for my cel-drawn characters.  ^__^
(that way, I don't have to bother knowing how to draw hands, feet, proper body proportions, etc....)

Might change with Unix-sama, but that's another story.  ^_____^

In any case, this is coming along nicely, but figure you'll brighten-up the lighting in later versions.  ^__^

BTW, did you get Shade along with Poser as well?  I really don't recommend it as it's hardly intuitive,....  X___x
But if you are interested in creating your own props (and texturing them and so on), I MUST recommend Hexagon!
The program is fantastic!  ^v^

http://www.daz3d.com/program/hexagon/

Randalt

You're too kind.
Yeah, I use Poser mostly to do simple modeling as reference for painting/drawing. For me, it's a lot easier to draw clothing than to create it with software. A pencil is a lot cheaper than some software!
No, Poser 5 didn't come with Shade. I'm using some stuff I bought, got as freeware. I've heard of Hexagon, but didn't take a close look at it until now, thanks for letting me know.

SleepyD

someone should show me how to use Poser.  I got it when they were giving it out for free a while back, but I can't seem to play around with it and learn as I did with Photoshop....

I think just learning the basic functions is what i need. XD;;;  In any case, I certainly don't have the time to learn it now.... took me quite a while to get used to Photoshop...

MisterCat

That's a nice rendering, Randalt!  All such things are beyond my abilities, not to mention the abilities of my elderly computing system.  Keep up the good work!

;019

=^..^=

C-Chan

And inkscape....
Gotta learn how to use Inkscape too.  ^.^

Anyway, when you have the time, let me know.  I'll be glad to show you how Poser works.  ^__^
Although hopefully it's Poser 4.....  Poser 5 and 6 have a new Materials room, the Face Room, the Cloth Room and the Hair Room, and except for the Cloth room (sort of...) I haven't really mastered them all yet.  ^^'

QuoteYeah, I use Poser mostly to do simple modeling as reference for painting/drawing. For me, it's a lot easier to draw clothing than to create it with software. A pencil is a lot cheaper than some software!

Bwahaha!  ^v^
Spoken like a true artist....  ^^'

Since I myself am not, I need the employ of LOTS of crutches to get my drawings 'sculpted'.  ^.^'

But truth be told, unless you really need a realistic simulation of lighting and positioning, it's really not cost-effective to spend too much time rendering your characters in 3D, especially if the goal is to import them in 2D.  (If you reduce the Z plane size of a poser character, you can come up with an effect simulating Anime-style cel-shading, but the results are unpredictable.  ^^')

QuoteNo, Poser 5 didn't come with Shade. I'm using some stuff I bought, got as freeware. I've heard of Hexagon, but didn't take a close look at it until now, thanks for letting me know.

For a while I used a borrowed copy of 3ds Max 4 for creating Poser/Bryce props, but that was both unintuitive and a bit "overkill".  Gmax same story.  Carrara I liked, but that early version wasn't good (and then Metacreations disbanded).  Milkshape was only for games.  Bryce and Vue d'Espirit wouldn't let you export their props.  Shade sucks.  Blender NEEDS a book and loads of time to read it.  And all the freeware alternatives are hit-or-miss (though Art of Illusion was pretty good).  

So yeah, it took me a while to find a decent 3D modeler, and so far Hexagon is making me happy.  ^__^
Except for the omission of real-world measurments (unless I haven't discovered that feature yet), it has everything I've always wanted, and then some.  ^.^

And yes, except for my chibi pics, I've been using Poser for reference work and inspiration as well.  

For example, here's the preconept 3D render for my C64-tan and Amiga-tan drawing:

And here's the final 2D product, with all the detail filled in manually:

Full version:  http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=65&pos=0

Of course it's no true-to-sketch rendition, but that's how it's supposed to be like.  A true cost-effective measure, especially when you have the help of a  sweet little vector-graphics program called Inkscape.  ^__-

C-Chan added the following  1 minute after last message :

MisterCat is just itching for Art of Illusion!  ^.^

Great 3D program for beginners and aging comps:

http://www.artofillusion.org/

Randalt

Good looking work there, C-Chan. I used to have an A500, as it got older the  chips would unseat as it overheated; the recommended fix was to bend it (or him/her if you think of computers in that way ) over your knee to reseat them!

QuoteBut truth be told, unless you really need a realistic simulation of lighting and positioning, it's really not cost-effective to spend too much time rendering your characters in 3D, especially if the goal is to import them in 2D.
Yes, that's what I've been doing with Poser, using it to get all the angles and shadows right then printing it out and finishing it on paper or whatever. But now I want to push it further and see what I can do in software. And animate it, add speech & SFX.

A few days ago I downloaded Art of Illusion and another freeware program, Anim8or. I haven't used them enough to form an opinion yet.

MisterCat

Thank you, C-Chan, for that suggestion!  I've downloaded all the files but one (I'm waiting on the really-really-slow Art Of Illusion Windows Launcher download connection to finish) and will install everything (all that Java stuff too) and see what happens.

:smoke:

=^..^=

Randalt

One other piece of free rendering software is DAZ Studio, which you can get at
http://www.daz3d.com/program/studio/index.php
68 MB download. Like in Poser, complex object creation is very limited, though they sell a separate plug-in called D-Form which allows morphing & modifying of objects.
Some of DAZ's 3D characters, clothing & props are free, most are for sale. They have an anime-style character named Aiko as a free download.
You will need to set up a DAZ account to download from their site.

The AnimeDoll character I used here is made by MayaX (not free ;014 ).

C-Chan

QuoteGood looking work there, C-Chan. I used to have an A500, as it got older the chips would unseat as it overheated; the recommended fix was to bend it (or him/her if you think of computers in that way http://ostan.blackdiam.net/images/smiles/1/icon_twisted.gif) over your knee to reseat them!

Thank ye very mucho.  ^.^
BTW, by "used to have", does than mean perhaps,... maybe,... like,... "I used to have a cool A500 Amiga system in my living room, but now I have it in a climate-controlled storage unit, and am more than ready and willing to sell it to this Amiga-crazed pig called 'C-chan'"?  ^___^'

QuoteYes, that's what I've been doing with Poser, using it to get all the angles and shadows right then printing it out and finishing it on paper or whatever. But now I want to push it further and see what I can do in software. And animate it, add speech & SFX.

A few days ago I downloaded Art of Illusion and another freeware program, Anim8or. I haven't used them enough to form an opinion yet.

Anim8or... meh.
All I can say is that it's "'aight" for a freeware 3D program, but it hardly feels professional.  AOI, on the other hand, is almost like a baby 3DS Max, in feel and function.  ^^

QuoteThank you, C-Chan, for that suggestion! I've downloaded all the files but one (I'm waiting on the really-really-slow Art Of Illusion Windows Launcher download connection to finish) and will install everything (all that Java stuff too) and see what happens.

Yeah, not sure why the developer chose to write it in Java, but oh well....
At least it's guaranteed to work.  ^___^

QuoteOne other piece of free rendering software is DAZ Studio, which you can get at
http://www.daz3d.com/program/studio/index.php
68 MB download. Like in Poser, complex object creation is very limited, though they sell a separate plug-in called D-Form which allows morphing & modifying of objects.

Some of DAZ's 3D characters, clothing & props are free, most are for sale. They have an anime-style character named Aiko as a free download.
You will need to set up a DAZ account to download from their site.

The AnimeDoll character I used here is made by MayaX (not free ).

Fufufu... speaking to the choir, my friend.  ^__^
This here pig's an honorary DAZ registrant, and have practically leeched every conceivable free download from them.  ^v^

Actually, though, I tried DAZStudio long before I joined DAZ.  My impression.... blah....
Looks like Poser, sounds like Poser, smells like Poser, but definitely a "poser".  ^___^

As for Aiko, guess who's the base for my 3D Amiga-chan above?  ^v^
Fufufu....

A word about the "free" Aiko, though.  Indeed, they do offer a free Aiko, Victoria and Whathisface at DAZ, but naturally there's no such thing as a free lunch.  ^___^
The hook is that they're only the BASE models of such, so you only get Aiko "Lite" so to speak.  Good enough for poses and stuff, but sorely lacking if what you want are credible Anime rendition in Poser.  ^___^

In that case, they offer the Aiko Starter Pack for $49.95 USD, which includes the complete model (with about a gazillion very useful morph targets), plus extra eyes, poses, expressions, this-and-that, and the Michiko body morph (which I used on the C64 3D model to make her look "youngish").  Plus if you want extra like the Nyoko pigtails, that's another $14.95USD.  The gorgeous Mitsu Hair, $24.95USD.  ^___^
Hexagon.... $150USD.
Catch my drift.  ^v^'

Fortunately for them, I succumbed to the temptation (though thankfully I managed to have the cost of the Starter Pak subsidized significantly).  And fortunately for me, what I just mentioned is really all I ever will need for them, so no actual Platinum Membership is necessary.  (Aside from the free downloads, all the other stuff they sell is,... meh.....)  -v-

Don't know why Mayax sounds familiar, btw.  Might have used her before and not even remember.  ^^'

Randalt

QuoteBTW, by "used to have", does than mean perhaps,... maybe,... like,... "I used to have a cool A500 Amiga system in my living room, but now I have it in a climate-controlled storage unit, and am more than ready and willing to sell it to this Amiga-crazed pig called 'C-chan'"?  ^___^'
No, I sold it to my nephew, and he played with it for a time, then got a PC. He probably junked it and kept the monitor.

QuoteActually, though, I tried DAZStudio long before I joined DAZ.  My impression.... blah....
Looks like Poser, sounds like Poser, smells like Poser, but definitely a "poser".  ^___^

As for Aiko, guess who's the base for my 3D Amiga-chan above?  ^v^
Fufufu....

A word about the "free" Aiko, though.  Indeed, they do offer a free Aiko, Victoria and Whathisface at DAZ, but naturally there's no such thing as a free lunch.  ^___^
The hook is that they're only the BASE models of such, so you only get Aiko "Lite" so to speak.  Good enough for poses and stuff, but sorely lacking if what you want are credible Anime rendition in Poser.  ^___^
But free is free. I'm not in the Platinum Club either, there's thousands of free .obj props on the 'net. I'm learning how to alter existing models.

QuoteDon't know why Mayax sounds familiar, btw.  Might have used her before and not even remember.  ^^'
I saw it, I had to buy it: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=23796
Many free clothes for it out there but nothing exactly like I want.

SleepyD

QuoteAnyway, when you have the time, let me know. I'll be glad to show you how Poser works. ^__^
Although hopefully it's Poser 4..... Poser 5 and 6 have a new Materials room, the Face Room, the Cloth Room and the Hair Room, and except for the Cloth room (sort of...) I haven't really mastered them all yet. ^^'

ehe... yeah I got poser 5.

They had a 1-week promo or something.  Full-version of Poser 5 for free download.

I pounced on the chance for free software that quite a few people use. (Despite the fact i barely knew anything about it) XD;

And if you say poser is better than daz, I'm glad i got poser then. for the same free price XDD

Randalt

Quote from: "SleepyD"
I pounced on the chance for free software that quite a few people use. (Despite the fact i barely knew anything about it) XD;
Ah, they gotcha! ;006 Good luck!

C-Chan

QuoteNo, I sold it to my nephew, and he played with it for a time, then got a PC. He probably junked it and kept the monitor.

...............................*heart snaps in half*

Gah,... X___x
Well, I figure something like that happened.  -v-

Oh well,... guess I'll have to continue setting my sights on AROS.  ^^'

QuoteAh, they gotcha!  Good luck!

Hehe... seems to know something we don't....  `v'

QuoteThey had a 1-week promo or something. Full-version of Poser 5 for free download.

At least you got it for free.  Many years ago, when it first came out, I was lured by the prospect of cloth and hair rendering, aside from all the other cool features it touted.  So i was one of the first in line, and also one of the first to experience how damn buggy the release was.  ;_;

Poser 6 really improves upon it significantly, and is very stable and complete by comparison.  But I definitely learned my prior lesson, as I waited well in advance to make sure that Poser 6 was actually worth the money.  Probably will do the same with Poser 7 (aside from the fact I have zero interest in buying it, now that Hexagon is sure to keep me entertained for a while).  ^___^