OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

hey, has anyone claimed the obscure windows yet? ik there are ale\ready icons of them, but they're some of my favourites (i have alot of favourites ^^;) so if no one else had claimed them, i was going to.

btw, status update, i have drawn the icons, still in the process of colouring them (may have to start over since i kinda left the file at home ^^; also, i made one for a very obscure OS character, Saeko-tan.)
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

There already are icons for Odyssey, Neptune, 95 OSR 2.1, and OSR 2.5. But there aren't icons yet for 1.0, 2.0, 3.2 and 97.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

About the DEC-tans, any idea why DOS-11 never told RSX about her biological mother? Also seems that RSX is happily retired from the DEC military, but still assists her comrades in the CIOST.

DOS-11 is scary, and it's weird how the DEC-tans' blade-wielding tradition comes from her!  And she was arch-rivals with UNIX too? I bet that took a toll on her lifespan!

Awwww... Poor RT-11! I knew she was already a Woobie because of her abusive mother, but didn't know she had so little self-confidence and is hypersensitive! :(

At least she retired to a quiet life in the Binteeji Renmei!

Poor VAXELN too, she was born in the wrong time period and missed out on a lot of the DEC culture!

BTW, I forgot to list Ultrix, but I assume she's in the CIOST? I think that would suit her best.

The Wiki has been neglected a lot again. :(

DR-DOS has a lot of remorse for neglecting QDOS, but doesn't regret everything though, and often gets into arguments with PC-DOS and DOS/V, who are willing to call her out on that.
--------

Also forgot to mention that many of the Classic Mac-tans have been subject to Characterization Marches On, especially Mac System 2, who used to essentially be a calmer, wiser Mac System 1. ^^;

Bella

@Kari: I can't wait to see these avis! *fidgets expectantly*

@Aurora: keep in mind, DOS-11 might not have even known the details of RSX's biological mother-- that was probably a secret saved for the upper-management of DEC. I imagine RSX-tan's heritage was kept a secret for the sake of DEC patriotism, nobody wouldn've wanted to advertise the fact that their "star student" (so to speak) was the descendant of an foreign bloodline, especially one as... obscure... as a Bunker-Ramo.

Veeery scary, and totally unpredictable! DOS Batch 11-tan hated Unix-sama, but Unix probably wouldn't have given a damn about her.

I've always imagined RT-11 as being rather demure and shy and sensitive, so it seems natural that she wouldn't have fared entirely well with such an outgoing group. For this reason, she'd have been closest with RSX and VAXELN-chan... now, she'd probably be friends with the DOSes (PTSDOS included!), Lisa-tan and even Vi-kun. ^^

At least VAXELN-chan has the honour of being the last of a great society, if that's any comfort at all. -v-

Ultrix might be in the CIOST, but given her past with VMS-tan I wouldn't bet on it. She's too proud to be a BR member... the Unix/Linux Consortium is a possibility, but it doesn't seem to fit her very well... I'm thinking wanderer for her.

Poor DRDOS-tan. Surely she'd regret turning QDOS over to IBM/MS, though... or would she? That's how MSDOS and PCDOS were created, and they went on to secure a veritable DOS empire... I sense a lot of moral ambiguity here.

Aurora Borealis

That sounds reasonable. RSX's mother RW-300 is like one of the most obscure OSes ever!

I'm guessing that despite how scary of an arch-rival DOS-11 was, Unix didn't care because she didn't see her as a threat not worth her time? Or maybe that DOS-11 was setting herself up for disaster anyways.

Oh... I'll move Ultrix to the wanderer class then.

If MS-DOS and PC-DOS weren't created from QDOS, maybe QDOS wouldn't have been so neglected. It looks like DR-DOS didn't want to care for her, so she handed her over to MS+IBM and just left.

Or that wouldn't have happened if she weren't such a megalomaniac in the first place. Let's just say that DR-DOS learned a lot of lessons -good and bad- from her mentor and first friend IMSAI 8080...

EDIT: A new bio!

Update: This one may be out of date. She's been portrayed as being part ghost to allude to Barbie Linux's non-existence.

Quote from: undefinedName: Barbie Linux-tan
aka: "Barbie OS"
Debut: ?*
Height: 221 cm
Weight: ?? kg
Eye Color: Blue
Hair: Blonde
*Was announced in the spring of 2006, but was a hoax. There have been Barbie-brand computers running what may have been labeled as a "Barbie OS", but this character mainly represents the fake Linux distro version.

Quick Facts:

-Is the tallest of the non-mainframe OS-tans.
-Friendly, outgoing and cheerful, although blunt at times.
-Has long blonde hair, and wears a pink+white polka-dotted minidress.
-Fond of nearly everything cute and trendy.
-Was a member of the Linux/Unix Consortium, but was shunned a lot by the more elitist members who derided her as a sell-out, or worse. She was rejected from the LUC.
-Her cheerful demeanor is often a facade, hiding a broken ego turned unstable.
-Friends with Atari TOS, Coleco Adam, OS-9 and Mac OS9. Addition: She may also be friends with Macintosh System 5-tan, and Windows 9-tan (if there's one), who can relate to being non-existent OSes.
-Dislikes the elite Unix-tans, is also rivals with Windows XP, Vista and 7.
-Does not take rejection well.
-Frequently carries a machete.

Exa

Ehehe~ ... I do have to admit I seem to like this character a lot - even though if I feel sorry for her about this "broken ego" part. I mean, she is a cute, friendly, tall girl who - if I remember correctly from earlier - is also a wanderer! I cannot say "no" to such a beauty! *squees*

Chocofreak13

lulz, barbie linux. perhaps the oddest of all linux-tans. still, i would have liked to see a copy of that distro come to light, even is it is PINNNNK. xD

poor dear. she needs a real friend. if it weren't for the fact that they're rival OSes to the end, she and XP would have made great friends.
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Yup, she's a wanderer since she got kicked out of the LUC, but being a wanderer suits her much better. Lots of odd OS-tans there!

And it really is too bad that she's rivals with XP-tan. Maybe someday they will reconcile, though the rivalry is mostly one-sided.

Chocofreak13

hmm, are there any comics with her? the interaction between her and XP sound funny. xD

btw, which XP distro is her rival?
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

No comics about that yet, but she'd be rivals with XP Pro.

There could even be some sappiness between them because Barbie Linux is jealous of XP Pro for all the attention and praise she gets for her looks and popularity she has while Barbie Linux lives in obscurity, but she isn't aware that XP Pro also frequently gets derided by others for her looks. :(

Chocofreak13

hmm, in that sense, they might share some common ground. comrades, yet they don't know it.
click to make it bigger

Exa

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"There could even be some sappiness between them because Barbie Linux is jealous of XP Pro for all the attention and praise she gets for her looks and popularity she has while Barbie Linux lives in obscurity, but she isn't aware that XP Pro also frequently gets derided by others for her looks. :(

Oh my, oh my... people with prejudice can be so annoying for them. But yeah, obscurity is a harsh thing to deal with, especially with a popular rival.

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: Chocofreak13hmm, in that sense, they might share some common ground. comrades, yet they don't know it.
Yeah!

Quote from: ExaOh my, oh my... people with prejudice can be so annoying for them. But yeah, obscurity is a harsh thing to deal with, especially with a popular rival.
That too! Her obscurity and trying to compete against such a popular OS-tan also took a toll on her.
-----------

Two new character bios! The DOS-tans sure have sappy backstories!

QuoteName:QDOS
aka: 86-DOS
Debut: 1980
Height: 92 cm
Eye Color: Grey
Hair: Dark green

Quick Facts:

-The oldest of DR-DOS's daughters, but is the smallest and seems the youngest.
-Has short green hair decorated with metal accessories, and has glasses that double as goggles.
-Wears a schoolgirl outfit with a tool belt.
-Was taken in by the Microsoft-IBM Family for a few days.
-MSDOS and PCDOS were cloned from her, and QDOS was abandoned after their creation.
-Survived in a junkyard for several years but is physically and mentally stunted.
-A miracle mechanic that can repair anything. The results aren't always smooth but get the job done.
-Cheerful and fearless, incapable of feeling hate towards anyone or anything.
-Has always been happy since reuniting with her family.

QuoteName: ROM-DOS
aka:
Debut: 1989
Height: 117 cm
Eye Color: Purple
Hair: Purple

Quick Facts:

-Is hot-headed, highly ambitious and determined.
-Has her hair tied in 5 ponytails, with functional metal hair clips she can attach small devices to.
-Wears a red+black streamlined school uniform, and a hi-tech monocle.
-Has the ability to control, manipulate and disable electronics.
-The most aggressive of the DOS-tans, she is willing and able to fight against aggressors head-on.
-Very competitive, is rivals with TRON, eCOS, OS-9 and QNX.
-Doesn't have a good track record against her rivals, nor is she good at planning ahead.
-Determined to make money by any means necessary, with the hopes of buying back QDOS's source code and treating her incompleteness.
-Gets along well with her sisters, especially QDOS, who she is very protective of.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger