OS-tan RPG style game

Started by Toki, February 24, 2009, 02:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

Guitar hero is popular, but its a crap game.   The important thing on RPGs is story. If your story is mediocer, so is your game.  In Tokis case, with no story her RPG would be pretty doomed.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

kaineru

Why not somebody else give her one? That's why she's here, asking for help.... Heck I can actually give her some, if no other negativity arises....

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteThe important thing on RPGs is story.

Exactly, you need not only protagonists, but also antagonists and a conflict to resolve.  Put simply, there needs to be a point.  I'm not here to piss on anyone's parade, I'm just curious as to what Toki has in mind here.  Still, I'm all for an RPG, or an RPG-like game.  I'm just with Capt-sempai here in thinking a fighter might be easier.  Nobody talks about how epic or great a fighting game story is because it's not really there.  That's why you don't need an excuse to put Darth Vader or Yoda in your game, because nobody cares.

QuoteWhy not somebody else give her one? That's why she's here, asking for help.... Heck I can actually give her some, if no other negativity arises....

That's fine, even encouraged, but we're simply sharing our own ideas.  If Toki's attached to the idea of making an RPG that's fine, and it would be great if that's what she wants to do.  It just seems like at this phase things are very tentative, and we're sharing ideas that she might also like...

The Choice of a New Generation.

kaineru

I know, but I'm weird and see most things one sided so I'm just putting up another side, speaking of which.... I have none.... hahahaha....

At any rate an RPG is complicated, fighting-games easily tires and platformers need work. One last option is making puzzle games.... Of course if you're a nut like me....

Also one needs to look at how one is going to make the game, Flash is good for small games, larger ones should be scripted and made tediously, I know... I graduated Multimedia Arts so I'm taught to do these things....

NejinOniwa

But afaik nobody likes puzzle games, except...well, puzzle nuts.

One thing I've done - and maybe that's just my highly overclocked brain going into spinoff mode with the excess capacity, but starting off with something pre-made - like making something in RPGMaker or the like - and then using that as a building ground, a sandbox for making your ideas and trying things; and then when you get good ideas as for story and/or buildup of the game you could start building on your own engine.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Toki

I like puzzle games...

But with a maker you can't make your own sprites, can you? I kinda want a tactic style RPG like Disgaea because I love disgaea and tactics games.

If I came up with a story it would be really stupid and silly, because I full of stupid and silly fantasies that make no sense. Like seriously, I hate Hatsune Miku because she's cuter than me. Whats wrong with me? Where as I can totally relate to ME-tan. In my head they are mortal rivals. So I could make a game based on that, but no one wants that because everyone like Miku better.
So I am really up for any direction this game could take story wise, and I think it would be alot of fun to work on this with other people! I already found a freind who would like to program and would make music for it as well ^_^ Wouldn't it be fun to have voice actors?

I don't really feel like animating for a fighting game, because I am a perfectionist and the sprites would take me forever to complete because I would not want them to be shitty. :<
CUTE IS JUSTICE!!

VonDaab

Leeks...
The game would need lots of leeks.

Also, one reason Me-hates Miku is the fact that Miku stole Me's signature Leek.

Cockleshell

What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Aurora Borealis

I'd be in favor of that idea ME-tan vs Miku idea! (truth be told, I hate Miku and her popularity! The Vocaloids have overshadowed and eclipsed the OS-tans! ;030 The OS-tans must fight back! Though I confess that I somewhat like Rin, Len and Luka)

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteBut with a maker you can't make your own sprites, can you? I kinda want a tactic style RPG like Disgaea because I love disgaea and tactics games.

Supposedly you can, but some versions of RPG Maker skirt legality... so you might wanna be careful about that.  The Game Maker that kaineru mentioned allows you to import sprites for sure, but so far all I've seen made with it are platformers, namely, Mario knockoffs.  There's some other tools which may be of use, but I'll get into that next...

QuoteSo I am really up for any direction this game could take story wise, and I think it would be alot of fun to work on this with other people! I already found a freind who would like to program and would make music for it as well  Wouldn't it be fun to have voice actors?

Well, apparently we have kaineru willing to contribute to the story, and I wouldn't mind throwing ideas out there myself.  Did your friend mention which language he/she programs in?  Because their are tools out there for making games that run on specific programming languages, e.g. Pygame which uses Python.  From what I understand such tools take a bit of the work out of making a game without limiting you in ways that a software like Game Maker or RPG Maker might, but of course, you need to have a good handle on the language to make proper use of these tools.  Well, you know I'm definitely down for contributing voices, but I don't know how many -kuns, critters, or other possibilities for a male voice you'll have in your game (I should also mention that while I've been told I don't have an accent, you may find differently -__-).  Anyway, we have plenty of the fairer sex around these parts, but if we have any trouble getting any girl voices, I know a resource to find them (for free!).

QuoteI don't really feel like animating for a fighting game, because I am a perfectionist and the sprites would take me forever to complete because I would not want them to be shitty. :<

Good point, I was just playing SFA3 and I realized just how difficult it would be to make such fluid sprites.  Especially if you were going to do the whole "after-effect" shadow thing.

NejinOniwa

Afaik, importing sprites into the versions I've used of RPG Maker is quite simple. There are (or were, when I used it) numerous archives online with huge storages of custom sprites, tilesets, et cetera, so material-making shouldn't be the problem. More like the somewhat shut-in "making" process which I always found quite annoying and hard to get around, but maybe that's just me.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

kaineru

Nenjin is right so you basically have total control of what you do.... Tactical RPGs however are hard to do, there is a sript that can do that, but I'm not proficient with it either....

AnimeTheme

Sorry if this sounds discouraging, but my experience and observation told me that this kind of project NEVER works if it is started by someone who can't do scripting or programming, or without an already existing dedicated team to help do so. You can always dream, though.
Bring OS-tans and other Anime mascots to your Windows desktop! Check out my Windows Gadget Gallery!

Toki

I won't be discouraged, if we can't get someone who can create a decent platform then we could always just slap it in flash and make it a cartoon rather than a game, but I would like for it to be a game.

I wanna hear Kaineru's ideas ^_^

I couldn't really imagine ME-tan defeating Miku, but it would be fun to try.

Oh, and IanDan-kun! I have two other projects that I am working on that could possibly use your voice talents. I am working on a web cartoon and.. it's gonna be really silly >__> I let my freinds in on the story and they're helping me write it... it's gonna be... so silly. And then theres the 2-D fighter that has been in production for two years now. Sprites are gonna have SFA3 smoothness and awesomeness that overshadows KOF, SVCChaos, and Guilty Gear combined O__O IT'S GONNA. GONNAAA >__< I'm gonna die.
CUTE IS JUSTICE!!

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteI won't be discouraged, if we can't get someone who can create a decent platform then we could always just slap it in flash and make it a cartoon rather than a game, but I would like for it to be a game.

As long as we're talking in eventualities, I just installed this program called "Game Baker", it's very immature at the moment, but it looks like it could at least contribute to my Python education and even introduce me to pygame.  Anyway, I'm going to tinker with it and see what I can do.  It looks promising right now, but don't expect any progress soon.

QuoteOh, and IanDan-kun! I have two other projects that I am working on that could possibly use your voice talents. I am working on a web cartoon and.. it's gonna be really silly >__> I let my freinds in on the story and they're helping me write it... it's gonna be... so silly.

Sounds like something I'd really like to be involved in, I should probably record some voice samples then...

QuoteAnd then theres the 2-D fighter that has been in production for two years now. Sprites are gonna have SFA3 smoothness and awesomeness that overshadows KOF, SVCChaos, and Guilty Gear combined O__O IT'S GONNA. GONNAAA >__< I'm gonna die.

Sounds epic, but wow you've got a lot on your plate here O__O.