Main Menu

opinion?

Started by Chocofreak13, February 13, 2009, 05:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

so yesterday i was walking, when i realized, "damn....my ipod has more memory than my computer!"

and earlier, i was downloading itunes, and learned that 2k isn't widely supported anymore.

i realize i need more space, so i'm DEFINITELY getting a new hard drive.
i love having 2000. she's adorable, sweet, & efficient. (and i haven't had her that long). but i want the community's opinion:

should i replace 2k with xp?
and
how big of a drive? and internal or external? (i'm kinda hoping for a 1tb external).

for reference, right now i'm running a compaq presario originally made for win 98 (1st edition), with a hard drive with just over 7gb. (idk about processor speed or RAM, been awhile since i cracked my baby open. the HCL was lost long ago, btw.)

yes, it's a shitbox......but it's MY shitbox. :3
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

In a computer, non OS-tan way, yes. Get XP.
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

CaptBrenden

XP MCE is pretty good, but if you dont plan to use media center or stream audio/video or anthing its not important, the leser version of XP will work

and as for externals, those are nice if you want to share the files between multiple computers, or take large files (like subs) to differnt places, but for the most part I would go internal.  I hear alot of people complain about their externals, and the internals are cheaper for the same amount of space. Tho, if your computer is older, im not sure how compatable the hardware would be for an internal...
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

NejinOniwa

Most likely it'll use IDE, and on that old hardware there's no reasonably fast external alternative available, I'd say. Go internal.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

If you have no problems with compatibility on 2k, keep on using it, i see no reason to install XP...
And as for the drive, as long as your MoBo supports it, go internal...external drives are slower in comparison and useless if you don´t haul it around alot... (same with laptops, srsly)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Aurora Borealis

First of all, is your computer able to run XP, Chocofreak? (I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with Windows PCs but I have doubts that a PC from the days of Windows 98 would be able to run XP well)

But if your computer can run XP (and do so well enough), you should upgrade only if you have some applications that will only work in XP to make the upgrade seem worthwhile otherwise stick with 2K.

I can relate to the issues of upgrading first hand. The Mac Mini I have was upgraded to Leopard (OSX 10.5) which I thought was great until I found out there some applications that worked under Tiger (OSX 10.4) but not under Leopard (including Photoshop 7- one of my most important applications!) so I switched back.

Smokey

Every computer from PI and up will run XP if configued properly, but simpler, if it can run 2k, it can run XP...
However i stay with my previous statement, in that i believe that if it´s not neccesary to upgrade, don´t... (kinda rule one with sysadmins)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

VonDaab

I had a Celeron from '98 that ran XP pretty well.
Only problem was the lack of ram, as it had only 256MB's of it...

So Photoshop was a pain on it.

Chocofreak13

yeah.

maybe i should provie more info:

i don't really want to switch, since it's had xp before and ran a little slow. (mind you, we had installed xp pro over xp home over 98 w/o deleting. ah, we were so young and naive....)
but i got an opinion from my (former) teacher, and he agreed with me that it would most likely run fairly slow, or that the old thing wouldn't be able to handle it as well as it would 2k.

i want the most cost effective solution available, and i'd like to avoid cracking open the case as much as possible (it's not a very streamlined case, there's this weird front plastic piece that i can't get the case shell to fit in well anymore after opeining it up last time.)

if you guys insist, i'll get an internal, but please remember that this computer is fairly ANCIENT by today's standards. think from the past: not much RAM, processor, memory, ect. and while getting it apart is a task in itself, getting it back together is even harder. >_< (when i was setting it up the other night, the front plastic piece came off, and i had a hell of a time re-attaching the wire to the startup button ;_; )

will i have to buy another cooling fan for all this? :[
click to make it bigger

CaptBrenden

you shouldnt have to for a hard drive, and if you ever upgrade your computer you can just take that hardrave out and put it in the new one,

Chocofreak13

true. i should maybe look into that......
either that or start hitting up my friends for parts >:]

and capitan, what the heck are you doing up this early?? by time zones it should be roughly 3-4 am where you are!! (the sun is JUST rising here!!! )
click to make it bigger

CaptBrenden

True enough, if you have friends into computers, there is bound to be alot of spare parts laying around you can salvage

and Im up drawing pronz <_<

NejinOniwa

The captain is never asleep, it seems, at least not at the "right" time...

I know how you feel ^^
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

CaptBrenden

you know, when I first saw this thread I wanted to post the wonderful quote "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and no one thinks theirs stinks"

Chocofreak13

that's true. i'd stick by my asshole even if he killed me.
click to make it bigger