Aurora's got an OS-tan art thread! Wait... what?!

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 01, 2006, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

WAI!!!!!!!!!!  THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Just quickly popping in to let everyone know I haven't forgotten about C-Day.  I'm just finishing up the chibi picture, the inspiration of which came to me like lightning!!!!!  I'm really gonna finish this one!!!!!!!  ^v^

And I think you'll see why I said it was appropriate.  ^___^

After that, I'll commence my last Response Bombing Sortie.  ^.^

Bella

Aw, this picture is coming along so nicely. I can't wait to see the finished version! I really like their semi-matching outfits. So far AtariDOS-tan gets the award in the category of "so cute imgonnadie", and I certainly wins most interesting hairdo. I'm loving the bunnies, too...though I sure hope she doesn't pull a killer space bunny out of that hat! Pet-chan is adorable, and ][-tan is definitely looking great in color. I like how you added the fan...

...though...

...GS/OS-tan is beautiful, too. It's not quite a youngish cute like the other quartet members-- I daresay she's a bit more mature (although I'm a bit unclear on her actual physical age). I love her wavy hair and beautiful golden wings!

QuoteThanks! I got the inspiration for this right away after seeing Bella's latest picture of her, but also inspired by your vector sketch of her (I really liked the kind of mood it gives out). The lighting from the bottom is intended to give her a more menacing look

I'm happy my drawing and C-Chan's drawing served as inspiration! And the menacing look worked out perfectly. ^^

QuoteHmm...
*goes back in time to see herself 2 years ago*

2008 self: Check this out! *shows 2006 self current work*

2006 self: OMG!! You can come up with backstories, sappy comics and have a much better fashion sense than I do! And you can use them scary vector graphics!

2008 self: I find vector graphics to actually be much easier than doing everything by hand.

2006 self: Inconcievable! 0__0

If I went back a year, I probably wouldn't recognize my own work. If I went back two years, I probably wouldn't even know what the hell they were drawings of. (Remember, folks, two years ago my entire knowledge of OSes centered around Windows + Mac + Linux + Unix)

QuoteI have used flashlights in a dark room to test out lighting before. I try to do a lot of observing these days to help me too.

Nothing better than observing and using real-world examples; with a lot of my hand poses I've used pictures of real hands (my own or otherwise).

QuoteIt is HUUUUGE bummer that you had so many great picture ideas you could never fulfill ;__;

But all the pictures you had the time to draw all are fantastic!

If you go back and think about it, we've all had a lot of pictures we have wanted to do but couldn't. We could play the "what if?" game all day. But it's more constructive to focus on what we have accomplished, and not wallow in what we failed to accomplish...

QuoteSure, I will stay, collaborate and help as much as I can. Although, It may be difficult without you; the Linux tech support expert and Vintage-tan expert!

It is so sad that you will be leaving!! ;__; It is inevitable that everyone will leave eventually, but this still came as a shock to me. I remember that in the spring of 2007 you had plans on leaving but fortunately for one reason or another you decided to stay (think of all the awesome pictures and ideas you wouldn't have made if you left the first time you planned to!).

I guess things are different this time. You will be missed a whole lot, you really really will. In the almost 2.5 years you have been here, you have contributed so much from creating several new OS-tan characters with brilliant designs and backstories, creating the Annex Project (a wonderful undertaking in the world of OS-tans, and although its thread is long dead, it all still lives on and is being continued to this day!) to organize all new characters and integrate them well into an OS-tan universe, suggest all kinds of great ideas for character concepts and stories, help people with all matters related to Linux, introduce other artists to Inkscape, edit the OS-tan wiki. And of course, commenting on others' works in your very kind, witty and encouraging way.

Why, I even learned some important philosophy and economics stuff from you, and also learned from you to keep things simple and don't get bogged down with overambition (most notably with the ZS Xmas special!).

I believe that I am speaking on behalf of many OSC members, past and present with this speech. Thank you for everything, C-Chan!

I can't agree with you more, Aurora-hime, and I couldn't have put it better... though this didn't really come at all as a shock to me. Honestly, I thought you were leaving last...February. And before that, I thought you were leaving in April or May of 2007 -__-

QuoteI have learned how to draw pleated skirts and dresses better than I could before by observing your drawings!

And I learned by observing the drawings of others...

BTW, I don't know if you ever saw these (they sorta got buried in my thread way back), but I made two tutorials explaining how I draw folds. Dunno if they'd be a help or not, but they're worth a second posting...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/tutorial.png

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/tutorial3.png

QuoteEven though I used a reference picture, I still really like how it turned out! Aw man... Speaking of that Mac to the Future picture, I was planning on revamping it!

I think it's quite nice as it stands, but who am I to talk about going back and fixing things. (And I've been thinking of adding a few fixes to the *Nix Holiday picture).

QuoteAhahaha! A beautiful and funny picture idea!

And here's a quick sketch of it...

Behind the tree, top to bottom, that's SCO-tan (who's full of RAGE that her grandmother is spending time with that damned flaky open source Unix-like); BSD-san (who's just a bit...confounded); and Minix-sensei (who's sure that this sort of friendship can't last, or at least end well. Somehow I always saw Minix-sensei as being a bit suspicious of Unix-sama, even after they got back on good terms). That dog is Mutt-kun, a small, fat mixed breed, who delivers mail and newspapers to the Unix and Linux-tans (FYI, Mutt is a CLI mail program). Why? The USG have lots of pets, and even the CIOST have VMS-sama's sharks...but the poor Unixen/Linuxes have no pets which I know of.

A bit OT, but I finally got around to watching Howl's Moving Castle...finally, I know where the inspiration for Unix-sama's stick-of-death comes from. XD

QuoteOh darn, that would have been definitely lulzworthy. Still could be though. ^____^

[coincidentally,... they DO happen to be underneath a tree.... hmmm..... -v-]

[see above]

QuoteOf course I will stay and continue contributing as much as I can. I feel the same way too. I'd end up leaving I didn't have anyone to brainstorm OS-tan ideas with!

Although it will be difficult for me without C-Chan's help, I will stay strong for you and the other artists of OSC.

Thank you very much, Aurora-hime. I will try to be here for you, and our other artists, too.

QuoteWell... if it's for you... ^___^ (you are a vampire?)
I guess... it's time to do a little... self-sacrifice.... -v-

*tries to imitate Boota from Gurren Lagann and pulls his own tail out to offer as an energy boost*

OH $#&@!!!!!!!!!!! THAT HURTS!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!! >>>>>>>>0<<<<<<<<<

*Omnomnom*

...you have maple syrup blood and that's enough to turn any NHite into a vampire. No really-- I swear, last Thankgiving I had maple-glazed salmon instead of turkey. o.O

QuoteIndeed, the grates would have required adding the highlights in segmented squares rather than the usual full strips.

Another technique I've yet to try out but have always wanted to is tree light filtering. In some Anime you will see characters lying or walking under a tree be completely in the shade, save for some cloudshaped formations around their face and bodies, representing the small slivers of light that make it through the leaves. It makes more sense if you look at a live example, but I've always viewed that as a very elegant technique.

Perhaps someday... -v-

Tree light filtering...I think I know what you mean by that. That would be quite an interesting effect... @@

Personally, I've always wanted to do a very stylized, simplified picture (using lots of interesting fill effects). Like something along the lines of this...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/largeAnimePaperwallpapers_Blood-Plu.jpg

Or a picture with very high-contrast shading, like this...

http://www.horace.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/largeanimepaperscans_blood-plus_altered_74256.jpg

...But I've never gotten around to it. : \

QuoteI would imagine that, even though GS/OS-chan is younger and nimbler, she actually doesn't hold a candle to the girls when it comes to song and dance. She simply didn't grow up in an environment that asked her to be that clever. ^^;

Good thing that's just a picture, though -- in motion, she'd probably show the occasional goof. ^.^;

Speaking of GS/OS, has anyone ever proposed a ProDOS-tan...or would that simply be considered the same as Apple ][-tan? On second thought, in that original chibi of ][-tan, aren't the apples in her basket some sort of reference to ProDOS?

QuoteMeanwhile, the younger-looking girls are not only in perfect unison, we have two adding extra entertainment value, and one doing it all WITH HER EYES CLOSED! Simply amazing, isn't it? ^.^

Amazingly cute, that is!

QuoteI honestly didn't know you found vector graphics scary. ^.^

I don't blame Aurora, vecotr graphics has the reputation of being, like, the calculus of digital graphics. I sure know I thought vector graphics were fscking terrifying, at least until I actually tried out Inkscape.

To play a bit of the "what if?" game myself...if I went back, I would've have started out with vector graphics.

QuoteThank you Aurora-hime. -v-
I won't give up OS-tan artwork though. I do want to focus on programming, so you could say I'm simply switching mediums.

If I'm done with my Concentration game and have it available in an accessible location on the web, I hope you'll be willing to download it, try it (I'll aim for cross-compatibility), and maybe add a bit to it. Remember, given that it carries with it descriptions of each OS-tan, it is intended to serve as a kind of portable and interactive OS-tan Wiki. ^^

I really hope you can do this game, it sounds simple but fun! I believe you can, if you put your mind to it.

QuoteThank you Aurora-hime. Your words are very sweet and sincere and they mean the world to me.

I don't want you to be sad, because after all, as you said, I should have been gone a looooong time ago. You and Bella were primarily my raison d'etre, and as you also said I got a lot done (and helped you gals get a lot done) thanks to the fun and consistent communication of ideas. My departure has to do with many factors that may not be visible out here in the fun sections of the forum -- you'll remember I offered to talk about that in private.

Reading your speech and believing every word that kind and honest Aurora-hime says, I really should feel happy that I got so much accomplished within the near 3 years I've been here. I couldn't make the forum the definitive epicenter of the OS-tan world... heaven knows I tried... but at least in trying I managed to help many many people feel right at home and foster their talents. Instead of quantity, I was given the luxury of helping out some real QUALITY members!

I'm ever glad and grateful that I not only managed to be of service to you and others, but that you also allow me to reciprocate that as well. I thank YOU for helping me during times of need, for replying so diligently to my posts, for remembering every detail of my characters and their backtories, for contributing so much to the OS-tan wiki, for drawing in the cute, creative and whimsical style that I've come to grow and love, for being open-minded and attentive,.....

But most of all.

Thank you for being with me. ^^
I leave with no regrets of being a social animal... it made me happier than I ever thought I would be. ^___^

I hope to see you around, my dear old friend Aurora-hime! ^v^

How beautifully put... I feel the same way about you guys, as well. :..)

BTW, Aurora-hime, I've recently been working on making a DA club for OS-tans. I don't know if you visit your DA page all that often anymore, or would be interested in submitting any artwork (basically, I would just upload the pictures into a section of the gallery under your alias/username), but I would really like it if you could. After all, the membership is a bit low...so far, it's just me, and Siya has agreed to join as well.

Just something to think about. ^.^

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Siya"So...to skip around to things I've missed....
A SIYA SIGHTING!! GRAB THE NETS, FOLKS!!

OMG!  The updated Festering Hate-tan sketch is awesome!
Thanks! Did I succeed with giving her a psycho, deathmetal look? ;012

As is DexOS-tan!  I had been pondering how a DexOS-tan should be done.  You did an excellent job! ^^
Ooh! You've seen the futuristic-looking DexOS too? That's an OS I would really want to try out, only if I had the right hardware for it ;__;

*gasp!*  KolibriOS, too!?  She's awesome!  Amazing design.  She's dangerously close to becoming my favorite...
Thank you!

The User Space Gang pic is epically awesome!  I see DragonflyBSD-tan is finally showing her wings.  Does this mean her design is complete?
I'm not sure myself but I still have to finish this picture! >_<

Also, several cheers for a colored version of MidnightBSD-san!  Hurrah!  Hurrah!  Hurrah!
Glad to hear that my interpretation of your MidnightBSD-tan design is to your liking! :D

Quote from: "C-Chan"
Another technique I've yet to try out but have always wanted to is tree light filtering.  In some Anime you will see characters lying or walking under a tree be completely in the shade, save for some cloudshaped formations around their face and bodies, representing the small slivers of light that make it through the leaves.  It makes more sense if you look at a live example, but I've always viewed that as a very elegant technique.
That's an interesting technique I may have to try out at some point!

*splits tail in half and offers the other to Aurora-hime

*gushing tears*  Bon appetit... ;^x^;
No thanks, you need that half of your tail a lot more than I do!

Thank you again Aurora-hime for doing this.  ^^

I would imagine that, even though GS/OS-chan is younger and nimbler, she actually doesn't hold a candle to the girls when it comes to song and dance.  She simply didn't grow up in an environment that asked her to be that clever.  ^^;
I think so too. She is from another generation, where musicals were not a way of life. Although not good at musicals like the trio is, she is very good with musical instruments.

Good thing that's just a picture, though -- in motion, she'd probably show the occasional goof.  ^.^;
Meanwhile, the younger-looking girls are not only in perfect unison, we have two adding extra entertainment value, and one doing it all WITH HER EYES CLOSED!  Simply amazing, isn't it?  ^.^
Eheheheh... They're all together doing dance, along with something slightly different: ][-chan is waving around a fan, GS/OS-chan is bound to stumble and goof up occasionally (something she could use to her advantage for comedy!), PET-chan is doing the dance with her eyes closed (which is really impressive! BTW, what do her eyes look like when open?) and Atari DOS-chan is releasing rabbits from her hat!

Fufufu~!!  Don't forget to leave a candy wrapper lying around when you're done.  ^___^
Nice reference! :D

I honestly didn't know you found vector graphics scary. ^.^
It thought vector graphics were scary because they seemed so weird, manipulating points and shapes to their desired form using complex math and Boolean operations as opposed to freehand drawing and coloring.

I started using vector graphics in March 2007 and for a while they seemed harder than freehand, but as I got more efficient with them, vector graphics turned out to be easier to me than drawing and coloring freehand!

Thank you Aurora-hime.  -v-
I won't give up OS-tan artwork though.  I do want to focus on programming, so you could say I'm simply switching mediums.  

If I'm done with my Concentration game and have it available in an accessible location on the web, I hope you'll be willing to download it, try it (I'll aim for cross-compatibility), and maybe add a bit to it.  Remember, given that it carries with it descriptions of each OS-tan, it is intended to serve as a kind of portable and interactive OS-tan Wiki.  ^^
Even though you are retiring from OSC, I am happy to see that you are not giving up on the OS-tans, and are able to apply them into a new and open source project!

When its avaliable, I will certainly be willing to download it! Too bad I'm not a programmer so I can't contribute though :(

Thank you Aurora-hime.  Your words are very sweet and sincere and they mean the world to me.
I really did mean all of what I said, because you along with many other OSC members are some of the nicest, wittiest and most supportive people I have ever encountered online (and not just because I have stumbled upon a lot of trolls in other places)

I don't want you to be sad, because after all, as you said, I should have been gone a looooong time ago.  You and Bella were primarily my raison d'etre, and as you also said I got a lot done (and helped you gals get a lot done) thanks to the fun and consistent communication of ideas.  My departure has to do with many factors that may not be visible out here in the fun sections of the forum -- you'll remember I offered to talk about that in private.
It has been fun working with you all these several months. You are one of the members that encouraged me to keep on going!

Reading your speech and believing every word that kind and honest Aurora-hime says, I really should feel happy that I got so much accomplished within the near 3 years I've been here.  I couldn't make the forum the definitive epicenter of the OS-tan world... heaven knows I tried... but at least in trying I managed to help many many people feel right at home and foster their talents.  Instead of quantity, I was given the luxury of helping out some real QUALITY members!
While failing to achieve your original and intended goal, you helped us all succeed in an even better way!

I hope to see you around, my dear old friend Aurora-hime!  ^v^
And I hope to see you again!

Quote from: "Bella"Aw, this picture is coming along so nicely. I can't wait to see the finished version! I really like their semi-matching outfits. So far AtariDOS-tan gets the award in the category of "so cute imgonnadie", and I certainly wins most interesting hairdo.
She does have one of the most interesting and bizarre hairdos of all the OS-tan (and related) characters!

I'm loving the bunnies, too...though I sure hope she doesn't pull a killer space bunny out of that hat! Pet-chan is adorable, and ][-tan is definitely looking great in color. I like how you added the fan...
I was VEEERY tempted to add in a space bunny!

...GS/OS-tan is beautiful, too. It's not quite a youngish cute like the other quartet members-- I daresay she's a bit more mature (although I'm a bit unclear on her actual physical age). I love her wavy hair and beautiful golden wings!
I guess she appears as a teenager. She is also very tall for a Vintage-tan. As far as I know, she is the second tallest Vintage-tan at a height of 5'9" [175 cm]

If I went back a year, I probably wouldn't recognize my own work.
Your work has evolved a whole lot over the past 1.5 years. Even your earliest OS-tan works still have that distinct, Bella style to them though! :D

If I went back two years, I probably wouldn't even know what the hell they were drawings of. (Remember, folks, two years ago my entire knowledge of OSes centered around Windows + Mac + Linux + Unix)
If I went back two years, I'd barely be able to recognize my own work, or a lot of the OS-tans I have drawn!

Nothing better than observing and using real-world examples; with a lot of my hand poses I've used pictures of real hands (my own or otherwise).
I've done that too!

If you go back and think about it, we've all had a lot of pictures we have wanted to do but couldn't. We could play the "what if?" game all day. But it's more constructive to focus on what we have accomplished, and not wallow in what we failed to accomplish...
You are completely right! It is usually pointless to think about what could have been. Looking at what we all have accomplished with our OS-tan drawings, I say we have accomplished a LOT!

And I learned by observing the drawings of others...

BTW, I don't know if you ever saw these (they sorta got buried in my thread way back), but I made two tutorials explaining how I draw folds. Dunno if they'd be a help or not, but they're worth a second posting...

I saw those when you first posted them and they proved to be very useful! ;010

And here's a quick sketch of it...
What a wonderful, whimsical and lulz-worthy picture! Linux-sama and Unix-sama both have a serene expression that speaks of close friendship between the two (though a serene expression on Unix-sama is highly unexpected!)

And I love the look on SCO Unix-chan's face! XD

Behind the tree, top to bottom, that's SCO-tan (who's full of RAGE that her grandmother is spending time with that damned flaky open source Unix-like);
I hope for her own sake that she's not going to try and sue her kick*** granny! On second thought, her trying to sue Linux-sama would backfire too because she is allied with Unix-sama! Oh, poor SCO Unix-chan!

BSD-san (who's just a bit...confounded); and Minix-sensei (who's sure that this sort of friendship can't last, or at least end well. Somehow I always saw Minix-sensei as being a bit suspicious of Unix-sama, even after they got back on good terms).
Given how much she and Linux-sama have been through in the early 90's, I don't blame her for being suspicious.

That dog is Mutt-kun, a small, fat mixed breed, who delivers mail and newspapers to the Unix and Linux-tans (FYI, Mutt is a CLI mail program). Why? The USG have lots of pets, and even the CIOST have VMS-sama's sharks...but the poor Unixen/Linuxes have no pets which I know of.
Cute little doggie, and clever reference!

Now the Linux/Unix Consortium has Mutt-kun, the Binteeji Renmei has LOGO-chan the flying turtle, the Mac House has kittens and Dogcows, the UserSpace Gang has many many pets (pufferfish, daemons, spacebunnies, headcrabs, dragonflies), the CIOST has VMS-sama's sharks, the Amigoids have assorted pets (a squirrel, a cat, butterflies), and the Windows Family has... uhh... a fish girl?

Thank you very much, Aurora-hime. I will try to be here for you, and our other artists, too.
You're welcome, and thank you too!

*Omnomnom*

...you have maple syrup blood and that's enough to turn any NHite into a vampire. No really-- I swear, last Thankgiving I had maple-glazed salmon instead of turkey. o.O
I've only had maple syrup on pancakes and waffles, but that sounds good!

Tree light filtering...I think I know what you mean by that. That would be quite an interesting effect... @@

Personally, I've always wanted to do a very stylized, simplified picture (using lots of interesting fill effects). Like something along the lines of this...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/largeAnimePaperwallpapers_Blood-Plu.jpg

Or a picture with very high-contrast shading, like this...

http://www.horace.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/largeanimepaperscans_blood-plus_altered_74256.jpg

It is always great to try out new styles!

Speaking of GS/OS, has anyone ever proposed a ProDOS-tan...or would that simply be considered the same as Apple ][-tan? On second thought, in that original chibi of ][-tan, aren't the apples in her basket some sort of reference to ProDOS?
I considered making a ProDOS-tan but decided against it because I couldn't find a way for ProDOS-tan to fit in with the OS-tan storyline.

One of the apples in ][-chan's and Lisa-chan's basket is labeled ProDOS, along with all the other OS releases for the Apple ][, though that does include GS/OS!

To play a bit of the "what if?" game myself...if I went back, I would've have started out with vector graphics.
Same here!

BTW, Aurora-hime, I've recently been working on making a DA club for OS-tans. I don't know if you visit your DA page all that often anymore, or would be interested in submitting any artwork (basically, I would just upload the pictures into a section of the gallery under your alias/username), but I would really like it if you could. After all, the membership is a bit low...so far, it's just me, and Siya has agreed to join as well.

I haven't checked it out in quite some time, because I considered changing my username, and my newest rewrite of my original comic has been moved to SmackJeeves for reasons of convienience :(

But I am more than delighted to see an OS-tan club on DA, and would be glad to join, but I don't know how clubs work there though x__x

C-Chan

Le sigh... from my time zone, I only have about an hour and a half left before C-Day comes to a close and... well... that's it.  It's a very surreal feeling, but in a way it's a luxury I never thought I would afford -- I've never in my Internet life ended anything with proper closure.  I either just walk out quietly into the night, stomp off in anger, or give a rather half-assed goodbye.  Even if it is anonymous, though, I much prefer to exit slow and gracefully instead.  -v-

For the moment, let me indulge in one lass sortie through Aurora-hime's epic thread... all 64 pages worth and counting.  ^^

QuoteI still have some responding to do, and noticed a Siya sighting (Quick! Grab the nets, folks!) but I'll post up the beta vector sketch of the Binteeji Quartet picture:

Ah!  I said this before, but this picture is beyond cute!  It's so cute, it brings me to tears -- I just love how charming you draw your characters now, with their lively glint in their eyes, they're attractive heart-shaped face, and the unique poses and situations that rival anything I've seen in a manga.  The comments in your Insanity Force DA page are correct -- your artwork has improved tremendously by leaps and bounds.  ^^

I'm at a loss as to how I want to comment on this picture... maybe I'd rather just sit quietly and let Aurora-hime work her magic.  If there's anything I've discovered in the 2.5 years of knowing you, is that Aurora-hime can more than look after Aurora-hime.  

With a style of your own that can take care of itself, you're free to have as much fun and experimentation as your heart desires.  ^__^

QuoteAw, this picture is coming along so nicely. I can't wait to see the finished version! I really like their semi-matching outfits. So far AtariDOS-tan gets the award in the category of "so cute imgonnadie", and I certainly wins most interesting hairdo.

When I first sketched her, I was worried AtariDOS-chan's hair was a little outlandish for someone as old as her... usually corn rows (or whatever they're called) are not a common hair feature in anime characters.  But whether it worked inherently, or Aurora-hime made it work, it jut downright works I think.  ^___^

QuoteI'm loving the bunnies, too...though I sure hope she doesn't pull a killer space bunny out of that hat!

BWAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

QuotePet-chan is adorable, and ][-tan is definitely looking great in color. I like how you added the fan...

...though...

I don't know... GS/OS-chan certainly has a bit of a baby face in that picture.  ^.^

I think I do prefer ][-chan without her kerchief, but sadly she's still a bit of a workaholic.  As for PETchan, I wonder if you can squeeze in LOGO-chan somewhere?  ^__^

If I went back a year, I probably wouldn't recognize my own work. If I went back two years, I probably wouldn't even know what the hell they were drawings of. (Remember, folks, two years ago my entire knowledge of OSes centered around Windows + Mac + Linux + Unix)

I imagine "Unix" at the time was synonymous with "some real OLD operating system" or something like that, ne?  ^__________^

My own knowledge of OSes also centered squarely around Windows, Mac, Linux, DOS, that Atari PC my brother and I used when we were younger (Atari 8-bit), and this thing I saw in a magazine called "Amiga".  Oh, and Solaris... from somewhere....  -v-

It was thanks to emulators, though, that I at least knew the history of all the game consoles.  ^___^;

QuoteNothing better than observing and using real-world examples; with a lot of my hand poses I've used pictures of real hands (my own or otherwise).

That's cheating, though!  Your fingers are SOOOOOOOOOOOO thin (or so you say), the sketches might as well be transcribed onto an Anime character with no modification.  ^____________^;

*wallows in despair of not being able to draw z/OS-sama*

Oh wait, you said NOT to wallow, right? ^___^

*pulls out of wallow*

In fairness, probably better that I didn't draw her.  Don't want to open the Pandora's Box of mixing my OS-tan life with my... shall we say, "weird interests".  

I want to take it one step further.  Having cast off the burden of broken promises or unaccomplished projects, I feel free to focus on the future with a clean slate once more.  That's why I reassured Bella-hime this is not so much the beginning of the end, but (to continue the cliche) the end of the beginning.  ^____^

I can't agree with you more, Aurora-hime, and I couldn't have put it better... though this didn't really come at all as a shock to me. Honestly, I thought you were leaving last...February. And before that, I thought you were leaving in April or May of 2007 -__-

I came really close in February, what with the forum seemingly falling apart and my Linux development work beckoning.  In retrospect, I'm glad I stuck to my guns -- had I left during such a critical time, I would have just strengthened the position of all the yahoos that made my life miserable.  

Even though I'm really leaving now, at least I have the comfort of knowing I outlasted them and endured disappointment, anger and humiliation for the sake of something greater and better.  -v-

QuoteAnd I learned by observing the drawings of others...

Watcha waiting for?  Post them in the new DA page!  ^_______^

QuoteAnd here's a quick sketch of it...

Behind the tree, top to bottom, that's SCO-tan (who's full of RAGE that her grandmother is spending time with that damned flaky open source Unix-like); BSD-san (who's just a bit...confounded); and Minix-sensei (who's sure that this sort of friendship can't last, or at least end well. Somehow I always saw Minix-sensei as being a bit suspicious of Unix-sama, even after they got back on good terms). That dog is Mutt-kun, a small, fat mixed breed, who delivers mail and newspapers to the Unix and Linux-tans (FYI, Mutt is a CLI mail program). Why? The USG have lots of pets, and even the CIOST have VMS-sama's sharks...but the poor Unixen/Linuxes have no pets which I know of.

[sing-song]The Bella!  The Bella!  The Bella's on Fire![/sing-song]  ^V^

Yep,... gonna call you the SketchMaster going forward.  Get used to it.  ^____^

Brilliantly done for something created in a span of hours (I feel like a parakeet).  Linux-sama and UNIX-sama exhibit the right kind of mature friendship that really plays on their sincerity. ^__^

SCO-chan is hilarious, BSD-sama is... confounded ^.^',... and Minix-sensei is perhaps not entirely well-defined, but funny nontheless.  I don't quite agree that UNIX-sama will do anything bad to Linux-sama per se,... however, the UNIX-throne is hardly a reward.  Half the reason why refuses to acknowledge Linux-sama as her successor (besides the other stuff we mentioned before) is because it carries with it crushing responsibilities that don't seem to suit Linux-sama at this time.

Mutt-kun is cute (you really are good with animals), but I should probably note that the Linux-tans have TONS of pets.  And Solaris-sama does have Duke-kun, even if she doesn't make it a point to show him off much. ^^

A bit OT, but I finally got around to watching Howl's Moving Castle...finally, I know where the inspiration for Unix-sama's stick-of-death comes from. XD

Awesome Blossom!  The circle is now complete -- you ARE now a member of Unix-sama's chosen circle. ^___^

BTW, that was a nice movie wasn't it?  ^^

Fufufu!  I'm glad my choice of maple sap for your chibi was not misguided.  ^___^

QuoteOr a picture with very high-contrast shading, like this...

Actually, that's almost what I had in mind doing with the Plan9-sama pic, and also what I was gearing towards with your UNIX-sama/Multics-sama masterpiece.  It's not hard -- you just have to really be sure the lighting is properly set up first before you start the shade map.

Don't worry,... we'll do such a picture one day.  ^__^

Correct.  I didn't want to bother, so I cheated big time with all of ][-chan's subsystems. ^^;

Ditto for me.  ^^

I did a few primitive anime drawings a few years before joining, but since they were done in Photoshop [rather shoddily], all of them lacked the kind of sharpness I was always aiming for.  I can't find one of my last pictures (an anthropomorphic cockroach princess), but I still have an old Flash video I created for my brother:

http://www.verytragicalmirth.com/Images/Groovy.swf

Another reason why I want to do programming is because I want to get back to doing multimedia-rich stuff like that (this time, with FAR cleaner graphics). ^^

QuoteBTW, Aurora-hime, I've recently been working on making a DA club for OS-tans. I don't know if you visit your DA page all that often anymore, or would be interested in submitting any artwork (basically, I would just upload the pictures into a section of the gallery under your alias/username), but I would really like it if you could. After all, the membership is a bit low...so far, it's just me, and Siya has agreed to join as well.

*chortle chortle*
*plots schemes*  ^________^

Eheheheh... They're all together doing dance, along with something slightly different: ][-chan is waving around a fan, GS/OS-chan is bound to stumble and goof up occasionally (something she could use to her advantage for comedy!), PET-chan is doing the dance with her eyes closed (which is really impressive! BTW, what do her eyes look like when open?) and Atari DOS-chan is releasing rabbits from her hat!

Darn... that's why I wish I had drawn PET-chan with her eyes open at least once.  -v-

I might still be able to,... depends on how my post-retirement freelancery works out.  ^^

Admittedly, that particular feature of PET-chan's is borrowed from Xellos in the Slayers series.  If you haven't watched that series yet (please do, it's GREAT), Xellos is a... well, okay won't spoil it. ^.^

But while he reminds cheerful and closed-eyed all the time, if you ever see his eyes that means something REAL bad is going to happen.  ^^;

PET-chan's eyes are likely more cat-like (almost like VIC20-chan's), but would certainly have a very scary and terrifying glint to them.  Coupled with her sword and a sly smirk on her face, and you'd best be out of there NOW before she uses her legendary killer move (=the "POKE").

When its avaliable, I will certainly be willing to download it! Too bad I'm not a programmer so I can't contribute though

Oh you wouldn't be off the hook yet. ^___^
Precisely because it's an Open Sauce project, there's more than one way to contribute.  In particular, a lot of writing will be required for the encyclopedia, help file, with tranlsations, etc.  And of course, the program would need artwork.  ^__~

Also, Python (if I stick with that language) isn't as hard as other languages -- if the project gets far, I'm sure I'll supply some way to help cover a few of the basics.  ^^

I guess she appears as a teenager. She is also very tall for a Vintage-tan. As far as I know, she is the second tallest Vintage-tan at a height of 5'9" [175 cm]

Probably another reason she had it in for Amiga-sama.  There she was, living larger than life... when all of a sudden there comes a young pigtailed cadet girl that can look DOWN on her.  ^____^

QuoteNow the Linux/Unix Consortium has Mutt-kun, the Binteeji Renmei has LOGO-chan the flying turtle, the Mac House has kittens and Dogcows, the UserSpace Gang has many many pets (pufferfish, daemons, spacebunnies, headcrabs, dragonflies), the CIOST has VMS-sama's sharks, the Amigoids have assorted pets (a squirrel, a cat, butterflies), and the Windows Family has... uhh... a fish girl?

DOSKitty.  ^.^
[and well MSDOS-chan is kinda there mascot, even if she doesn't like it).  ^___^
Likewise, OS/2-sama treats PCDOS-chan (her part-timer) like a de facto mascot for the A$C too.  ^.^;

=============================

In any event, I think that's all I have to say on that matter.  Sorry if I can't reply back to any replies, but you two will know at least how to contact me in case you have any questions.  ^^

Sadly, I'm too short on time to make a speech,... but all I can say is that I visited the first page again.....

The pictures seem to be gone, but the memory of Aurora-hime's first chibis live on in my heart.  I'll never regret the day I welcomed you and encouraged you to keep drawing in that cute whimsical style.  I don't regret visiting your old DeviantArt page and skimming through your old works.  I don't regret cheering you on with each and every Zerosanity comic panel, and all the many more that would ensue.

I regret nothing, and love everything about having helped Aurora-hime become what she is today.  ^__^

I hope you continue drawing more -- but most importantly, I wish you happiness and health in anything that you do!  ^v^

I'm confident you'll do great -- my money's on you, dear Aurora-hime!   ^__~

*C-chan signs off*

Aurora Borealis

Okay, so this one isn't OS-tan related, but I drew this picture on Mac Paint 2.0 with Macintosh System 6.0.8! :D

Bella

Ahhh! It's Aurora! ^^

Pray tell, how did you happen upon a computer running Mac system 6.0.8?

Aurora Borealis

Tsubashi

Way To Be Aurora-sama!!! ^o^
Glad to know I'm not the only one who still runs those Classic OSes!
Though I must say, you utilized that program much more effectively than I ever did ^v^
-Tsu

Bella

Oooh, you've finally tried out an emulator! Just as well...

Tsubashi

Emulated is cool too! When my older hardware fall out of my scope of repair I add their OSes into Daikokuten-san database. (My paravirtualization server)
-Tsu

Siya

Aurora Borealis

Here is a radical revamp of an old picture in progress: XP-tan wants to know "WHERE'S THE BEEF?!"

Bella

Bwahaha! Where's the beef... XD

How ironic, just a few days ago I was attempting to draw an XP Pro-tan chibi, but it didn't get out of the vector sketch stage...I just haven't felt like vector sketching anything lately. : \

XP-tan is looking mighty cute there, even though she's angry. I love the little details like her hair ribbons and the detail on her outfit, but I would suggest making her hand a bit smaller. And maybe making the lines on her sheer sleeves semi-transparent. You're off to a good start, though. :)

Tsubashi

Quite the improvement, I must say. Well Done Aurora-sama! ^.^

I really like how crisp the picture is, though her expression is quite a bit milder than in the original, no? ^^
Bella-hime is right, it is a very impressive start. It is very fun to see how much you have improved while I was absent. A few minor things: The neck looks a little too long to me and her left arm looks a bit linear to me, but I am not sure if either are significant at all. The only thing that really bugs me is her thumb. It seems to me that it ought to be in front of the bowl, like in the original sketch. It just feels awkward the way it is now.

Thanks for being so awesome!
-Tsu

Aurora Borealis

Thanks for the compliments and critique- I wasn't sure how to position her hand holding the bowl so I guessed, and I... guess I was wrong! *laughs at bad pun*

You remember the original that I drew 2 years ago? 0__0 You are right, in the revamp, her facial expression is milder than in the original.

Here's a picture I sketched today, of 4K-tan pestering PC DOS-tan! :D