Main Menu

OS-tan PC Meter

Started by AnimeTheme, November 24, 2008, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimeTheme

First of all, let me say hi to you guys as I am new here  ;hi  It took me a few days before I can finally register here, with the help of the admin (thanks!).

------------

OS-tan/Anime PC Meter

OK back to the topic. Here I would like to introduce an interesting Windows Vista gadget I wrote, which is a CPU/RAM/Drive/Network meter presented in a cute and Anime-like style! So, when you see the CPU lady glowing in red, you know the CPU is busy :P

Major Features (version 1.6.1)

* CPU/RAM/Drive/Network meter presented in a cute, Anime-like style!
   * Multi-core CPU supported
   * Advanced monitoring details, such as virtual memory/network usage and disk activity (as flashing of bars), through the use of WMI
   * Interactable interface with extra info and actions available when you place your mouse pointer over or click on various parts of the gadget
   * Customizable settings

You can download it from the link on my signature!

Comments? Suggestions? Please let me know!

------------

This is only the beginning of my OS-tan gadget project. I am still working on several other OS-tan-related gadgets which will actually make the OS-tans come alive on your desktop! You will be able to even design your own OS-tan animation/interaction in a simple way! Stay tuned!
Bring OS-tans and other Anime mascots to your Windows desktop! Check out my Windows Gadget Gallery!

Tsubashi

It seems I get the first response. Welcome to OSC, AnimeTheme-san. Hopefully you will find a comfortable environment here. It is, I believe, an atmosphere quite conducive to the prolific explorations of the creative minds who reside here, as evidenced by the seemingly ceaseless abundance of quality artistic works with which this forum is permeated.

It is wonderful to see someone with a definite goal and a plan to get there. Good luck on your project. It is a rather interesting idea, making OS-tan Vista Gadgets. A while back I made a series of OS-tan Dashboard Widgets, but Wikipe-tan seems to be the only surviving remnant ^.^
Judging from the screen shot, they look good. My only objection is the size. Taking your image's 0.625 ratio, and the standard resolution of 800x1280... I assume you can resize them, but I have no way of testing.
-Tsu

AnimeTheme

The original screenshot was taken on a 1440x900 desktop, but there is no need to worry about the size. The gadget is big only when you use it undocked on the desktop. It is fully functionally when used on the docked sidebar. It is a lot smaller, while still looks cool.

Larger Screen Cap

All 4 meters are running on these screenshots. You may choose to disable some of them. You may even run them in "compact mode" to further save screen space.

--Admin replaced picture with link  picture in accordance with rule 5.a--
Bring OS-tans and other Anime mascots to your Windows desktop! Check out my Windows Gadget Gallery!

Tsubashi

Is there a compact mode for the undocked mode? I find the sidebar annoying and almost always disable it. Albeit, I hardly use gadgets, but I have run across a few I would have liked if not for their completely unwieldy undocked forms.

Added after 1 minutes:

Oh, and is it dynamically scalable? If it take up that much room on a 1440x900 imagine a 1024x768 ^.^
-Tsu

AnimeTheme

All settings and options, including the compact mode, work on the undocked version as well.

Full-size screenshot of the gadget in compact mode

Technically speaking, the gadget is easily scalable, but I tend to like to allow undocked gadgets to have little limitations when used undocked on the desktop. I think it works well on the standard 1024x768 desktop even when undocked, but I suggest you simply download it and try it out yourself LOL

Nuker

Hey, welcome!

Your PC meter is cool, but my hard drive makes weird noises if the drive meter is enabled... 'aggressive' disk space checks, perhaps?

AnimeTheme

Quote from: "Nuker"Hey, welcome!

Your PC meter is cool, but my hard drive makes weird noises if the drive meter is enabled... 'aggressive' disk space checks, perhaps?

I use FSO (File System Object) to check disk space, and WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) to check disk activity, nothing really fancy, and it shouldn't cause any extra drive activity by its own. Do you mean there is any extra/abnormal disk activity just when the drive meter is running? Are you using it on Vista or XP?

Nuker

Quote from: "AnimeTheme"
Quote from: "Nuker"Hey, welcome!

I use FSO (File System Object) to check disk space, and WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) to check disk activity, nothing really fancy, and it shouldn't cause any extra drive activity by its own. Do you mean there is any extra/abnormal disk activity just when the drive meter is running? Are you using it on Vista or XP?

Yeah, the drive meter (not the whole gadget) causes some abnormal disk activity. Dunno exactly what it does, but it keeps doing the same 'startup noise' you hear when you start up the PC or load a big program not already into memory. And I'm using Vista 32bit.

AnimeTheme

Quote from: "Nuker"Yeah, the drive meter (not the whole gadget) causes some abnormal disk activity. Dunno exactly what it does, but it keeps doing the same 'startup noise' you hear when you start up the PC or load a big program not already into memory. And I'm using Vista 32bit.

First of all, make sure the "noise" really comes from disk activities. The drive meter bar border should flash (or turns white) when your drive is busy reading/writing, or you can check the HDD LED of your PC (usually available on the front panel of your PC case).

How many drives (especially hard drives) do you have on your PC? Any "special" drive (such as network drive)?

Cross

that looks nice to bad i dont have vista

dejiko-hime

It´s so good but is only for vista, right?

Tsubashi

-Tsu

dejiko-hime

CaptBrenden

<_<

1. Follow link
2. Download program
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!!!
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Aurora Borealis

Good thing there is that sidebar program for XP because there aren't very many Vista users (as far as I know of) on OSC!