OS-tan enemies (and battles)

Started by Bella, April 13, 2007, 08:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zilka

Alex S

Wait.  I have heard of that anime.  That's hentai.  But, to the point, that anime is a robot, not an actual OS, interacting with a human.

Zilka

Yes, but you got Mac-tans there! ;001  Besides if you consider the idea of Itelligent home, the Interactive assisstan in the form of an OS-tan would essentially be a robot. A hologram alternatively, but a robot is better. I mean those kinds of interfaces... Perfect! ;157

NejinOniwa

Dealing with true AI's is dangerous, you know.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nuker

Quote from: "NewYinzer"The current OS war is more interesting than the 95 vs Mac fight of the 90's. Think of it like WWII was - a war all over the world, with many different fronts. Here is a simple history of the OS War as I see it:

First OS War (1977-1989): The Mac Empire, with its base in Europe (Home and artist users), fights the evil IBM Empire in Asia (Business users). Having lost Russia, IBM fights back with the IBM PC, forcing the Mac Empire back to Europe. They make an alliance with the Windows Empire in the steppes of Mongolia (highly specialized users of BASIC), and defeat Mac using the latest tool, Windows 1.0.

Second OS War (1989-2001): The Windows Empire takes control of IBM's empire. From its base in Asia it takes Europe from the Mac Empire, forcing them into England (Artist users). However, the Exiled general of Mac, Steve Jobs, returns with a fearsome new weapon to colonize Africa (MP3 players and periperals): the iPod. However, Windows has banished Mac from Europe.

Third OS War (2001-present): The Windows Empire controls Asia (Business computer market) and most of Europe (Home user market), and it fights with the Mac Empire, based in England (Artist user market). The Mac Empire has managed to colonize much of Africa (MP3 player and peripheral market), and now wants to control the Middle East (cell phone and portable market), once the domain of the portable OSes. A successful invasion of Norway by the Mac Empire has the Windows empire in turmoil, but they strike back with their new weapons - Vista and the Zune. Now fighting Mac in both Europe and Africa, new turmoil engulfs the Middle East, with Windows Portable fighting the iPhone and factions of portable OSes. North and South America remain unknown markets, but they will be a battlefield in the near future. Australia (video games), once the province of the Nintendo and Sony Empires, has been invaded by Windows. Mac's expedition to take Sydney with the Pippin failed years earlier, but Windows has successfully taken its share out of the continent. However, the Linux Revolution has spread through both the Mac and Windows Empires, and threatens to take over the world from their base in Japan (science and educational market).

That's a cool way to envision OS-wars.

Os-tan would hav to be generals/commanders of some sort, while their armies... their armies could be made up of applications that run under those OSs, with programs running under more than 1 OS being mercenaries of some sort. The Windows' army would probably be very large and Russia-like in style, given the sheer quantity of software developed for windows, while the Linux army would be made up of elite troops or something...

Bella

QuoteThat's a cool way to envision OS-wars.

Os-tan would hav to be generals/commanders of some sort, while their armies... their armies could be made up of applications that run under those OSs, with programs running under more than 1 OS being mercenaries of some sort. The Windows' army would probably be very large and Russia-like in style, given the sheer quantity of software developed for windows, while the Linux army would be made up of elite troops or something...

This sounds about right, and is certainly how a lot of us imagine it (OS-tans and some program-tans are at the top of the commanding order, with smaller programs, files, etc. being the lower classes). As for the different "armies", I know the Windows' are supposed to be moderately advanced, but very effective and strong; the Unixen and Linuxes are supposed to be somewhat down-to-earth in regards to weapons, but they're tactical geniuses and have numbers on their side. The Macs I've never really thought of as being that militaristic; they were certainly steamrolled in the OS Wars @___@

Then there's other groups which we've invented, like the CIOST (Confederation of Independent OS-Tans), who are insanely advanced but rather small in population...

Aurora Borealis

I think that the Linux army would be more like the Spartans from "300"! :D

It was conjectured that the Mac-tans from the old days did have an army but did not put it to use very much because the did not expect anyone to take over. And although their army was very large, it lost due to poor tactics.

Apple was doing greatly in 1995 but hit an all-time low in 1996, partly because of faulty Macs released at that time- including the infamous Powerbook 5300. Another reason Apple met its near-demise was because of the Mac clones- licensed hardware from other companies that run the Mac OS. For one reason or another, the clones did a lot more harm to Apple's market share than good.

Nuker

A free OS? This is madness!

Madness? THIS IS LINUX!

...Sorry, had to say it. :P

Still, the Mac pretty much conquered the MP3 market right now, so they must have an army of some sort... or maybe they just conquered the whole region using propaganda and humanitarian aids ("i-anything" 'cool factor' and the whole load of accessories for I-pod)

guyveroz

Viru-tans could also be portrayed as loose terrorist factions.
And the Mac's MP3 market could be portrayed as spies trying to get more people on the side of Mac.

Chocofreak13

ik....
mac -vs- os
linux -vs- pretty much everybody
2k -vs- homeko -vs- XP
homeko -vs- yaoi haters (ok i made that one up ;] )
95 -vs- mac (this is seperate from the 1st cause it gets so intense)
me -vs- norton (read somewhere that norton hates me)

and that's all ik.

since these are fan generated characters, with no rock solid base, and no copyrights (yet), just as the programmers messed with linux, you could use your imagination and dream up some battles. <3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Nuker"A free OS? This is madness!

Madness? THIS IS LINUX!

Hahaha! Must... Draw... "300" parody! :D

Quote from: "guyveroz"Viru-tans could also be portrayed as loose terrorist factions.
That would work for most of the virus-tans!

And the Mac's MP3 market could be portrayed as spies trying to get more people on the side of Mac.
That is good too- those that like the iPod-tans are likely to by association like the Mac-tans! :D

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"
mac -vs- os
You're going to have to be more specific that that.

True! The Linux-tans do not get along with the highly conservative Unices and there may also be some infighting among the Linuces themselves, hence why the Linux/Unix Consortium is such a mess -_-

2k -vs- homeko -vs- XP
Not sure about 2K-tan in the rivalry but Homeko and XP Pro-tan have been depicted as rivals, with XP Pro-tan antagonistic towards Homeko's love for yaoi and perverted relationship with Homeo.

So true! :D

Yup. 95-tan hates the Mac-tans with a vengance, especially Macintosh System 7-tan who was her mortal enemy.

Hmm... I recall reading that somewhere too.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"
Quote from: "Nuker"A free OS? This is madness!

Madness? THIS IS LINUX!

Hahaha! Must... Draw... "300" parody! :D

Quote from: "guyveroz"Viru-tans could also be portrayed as loose terrorist factions.
That would work for most of the virus-tans!

That is good too- those that like the iPod-tans are likely to by association like the Mac-tans! :D

mac -vs- os
You're going to have to be more specific that that.
"sorry. means the generalized win-tan we're all used to."

True! The Linux-tans do not get along with the highly conservative Unices and there may also be some infighting among the Linuces themselves, hence why the Linux/Unix Consortium is such a mess -_-
"woot! one right!"

2k -vs- homeko -vs- XP
Not sure about 2K-tan in the rivalry but Homeko and XP Pro-tan have been depicted as rivals, with XP Pro-tan antagonistic towards Homeko's love for yaoi and perverted relationship with Homeo.
"read somewhere that homeko was like 2k, only more efficient, causing some friction (obviously)."

So true! :D
"indeed. we have some die-hard yaoi fans in my circle (i enjoy a good naruxsasu once in awhile :3) and ik that if anything in our culture is threatened by someone with the proper knowledge of it (aka if an anime fan insults yaoi) we rise to defend it. since she's a yaoi artist, this must mean she's also a fan. <3"
Yup. 95-tan hates the Mac-tans with a vengance, especially Macintosh System 7-tan who was her mortal enemy.
"lol, i remember reading somewhere on this site that since vista is based on a similar system to macs, that 95 may have a beef with vista ("YOU TRAITOR!!"). xD"

Hmm... I recall reading that somewhere too.
"(completly off topic) has anyone ever considered adding a male-only section to the gallery? it's quite hard to find norton, trend-micro, and all the os-kuns among the many, many, MANY -tans there.
on topic: me must turn to someone else for her checkups. if i were a -tan i'd only use mcafee. i'd feel more comfortable that way."
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

That's what I (along with many other readers) assumed.

"read somewhere that homeko was like 2k, only more efficient, causing some friction (obviously)."
I see.

"indeed. we have some die-hard yaoi fans in my circle (i enjoy a good naruxsasu once in awhile :3) and ik that if anything in our culture is threatened by someone with the proper knowledge of it (aka if an anime fan insults yaoi) we rise to defend it. since she's a yaoi artist, this must mean she's also a fan. <3"
While I am not exactly a yaoi fan, I do like the NaruxSasu pairing! :D

"lol, i remember reading somewhere on this site that since vista is based on a similar system to macs, that 95 may have a beef with vista ("YOU TRAITOR!!"). xD"
Vista has better Unix support than previous Windows OSes and Mac OS X is based off of Unix (I think it was FreeBSD to be exact) and 95-tan would not like that association!

"(completly off topic) has anyone ever considered adding a male-only section to the gallery? it's quite hard to find norton, trend-micro, and all the os-kuns among the many, many, MANY -tans there.
That is a good idea!

on topic: me must turn to someone else for her checkups. if i were a -tan i'd only use mcafee. i'd feel more comfortable that way."
Norton isn't ME-compatible?

A lot of the OS-tans are scared of Norton-kun, the perverted doctor! Trend Micro-kun is also a pervert too. At least McAfee-san is perverted, as far as I know!

Chocofreak13

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"
That's what I (along with many other readers) assumed.
"good. i'm still a noob, so i'm bound to make a misake or two. besides, i think i was still freaking out that it got so dark so early."
I see.
"hmm, i think i posted the site a few weeks ago, it's in a topic i made called 'os tan site' but i clicked the link, and it's gone ;_;"
While I am not exactly a yaoi fan, I do like the NaruxSasu pairing! :D
"hmm, i'm more of a shonen-ai fan myslef, rather than the hardcore stuff."
Vista has better Unix support than previous Windows OSes and Mac OS X is based off of Unix (I think it was FreeBSD to be exact) and 95-tan would not like that association!
"95 is good in that she doesn't forget tradition and where the win-tan came from, but bad in the fact that she lacks the ability to adapt."
That is a good idea!
"i'd like to see it happen. drawing is my passion, and without a real grouping for the male characters, i've only found a few ;_;"
Norton isn't ME-compatible?

A lot of the OS-tans are scared of Norton-kun, the perverted doctor! Trend Micro-kun is also a pervert too. At least McAfee-san is perverted, as far as I know!
"do you mean she isn't a pervert? i read that somewhere....hmmm, it'd be nice for a girl to get meds from a girl. i hate doctors, and it softens the impact a little. (but not much)
on a completely seperate note, since these characters are fan based, and thus not set in stone, it is acceptable for the fans to come up with a variation or two in the -tan world without getting flamed, yes? i believe i have a good idea. :3"
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quotelinux -vs- pretty much everybody

I've actually assumed the Linuxes would be some of the more amiable OS-tans, who would gain ground with diplomacy and tactics rather than brutality.

QuoteHahaha! Must... Draw... "300" parody!

Oh this is gonna be good XD

QuoteTrue! The Linux-tans do not get along with the highly conservative Unices and there may also be some infighting among the Linuces themselves, hence why the Linux/Unix Consortium is such a mess -_-

But some of the open source Unixen would at least be sympathetic to the Linuxes, or so I think. A few proprietary Unixen, however, like Tru64 and AIX-tan would be friendly with the Linuxes (as these OSes have Linux compatibility).

Quote"lol, i remember reading somewhere on this site that since vista is based on a similar system to macs, that 95 may have a beef with vista ("YOU TRAITOR!!"). xD"

Well, Vista isn't vaguely related to Mac OSX, not by the longest of shots. Mac OS X is Unix, pure and simple, and is directly derived from NeXTSTEP, a BSD Unix/Mach kernel based OS. Vista is based off of NT, same as XP and 2k, and NT hails from the insanely powerful VMS and the moribund OS/2. It has no relation to Unix at all.

Quote"(completly off topic) has anyone ever considered adding a male-only section to the gallery? it's quite hard to find norton, trend-micro, and all the os-kuns among the many, many, MANY -tans there.

I don't believe there's enough -kuns to warrant a -kun section of the gallery...that's something that would have to be brought up with a Mod, though.

Quoteon a completely seperate note, since these characters are fan based, and thus not set in stone, it is acceptable for the fans to come up with a variation or two in the -tan world without getting flamed, yes? i believe i have a good idea. :3"

I think we'll be willing to listen! After all, OS-tans are based more on a "fanon" than a "canon".