OS/2 Warp-tan & RISC OS-tan

Started by C-Chan, August 13, 2006, 08:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darknight_88

and finally, here's it, my OS/2 Version (Pre inking/coloring). Will make a shadowed version later, for reference.

Is the folded skirt negotiable? Cause I already did it like this...and personally, I think she looks better like that =/ (folded skirts remind me of schoolgirls...and OS/2 doesn't seem to be one). Any observations about the rest of the uniform? I couldn't find a good image of the uniforms.

And one last thing: this is inkscaped. Vectorized at monochrome, 20 layers. Anyone knows If there's any way to erase the white areas and just leave the  black lines? (A.K.A: Transparent) that'd save a lot of time when inking (workpaths, stroke path, rinse and repeat...)

SleepyD

Jeff likes.  ;010

Jeff also agrees with the skirt thing.  Boots look nice too. Makes her look... professional? ^^;
Jeff notices that the ">c" symbol has been adapted.
Jeff likes that too.  ;010

Question: Should the hair be tied or just be thread-y? Jeff thinks this looks better.

Overall, if you haven't figured it out already, Jeff approves.  ;010

Jeff suggests combining features of real-life military uniforms with the star trek one to fill in details and to avoid copyright infringement.

Jeff still doesn't know much about inkscape and would like to know as well.

Jeff also realizes he is speaking in third-person and doesn't really know why or care.

Good day.

C-Chan

.....................................  *v*

[lovingly]  Darknight...........  you..................  *v*

*clasps hear*

Gaaaaaaaah!!!!  This is,............ the happiest.............moment...........  xvX
Wonderful,...... too wonderful............. much strain on............ heart kinda...... wonderful!  ;^v^;

*swoons with happiness*

(BTW, I'll be right back after I've regained consciousness.  Don't go away, or call the mortician.  ^__^)

NewYinzer

Great job! I like it! It appears that Warp-tan is catching on! But for some reason, I never quite got Star Trek. Maybe it's the fact that other things are distracting me. Or the fact that George Takei is gay. Either way, I never really liked it...

Darknight_88

Quote from: "SleepyD"Jeff likes.  ;010

Jeff also agrees with the skirt thing.  Boots look nice too. Makes her look... professional? ^^;
Jeff notices that the ">c" symbol has been adapted.
Jeff likes that too.  ;010

Question: Should the hair be tied or just be thread-y? Jeff thinks this looks better.

Overall, if you haven't figured it out already, Jeff approves.  ;010

Jeff suggests combining features of real-life military uniforms with the star trek one to fill in details and to avoid copyright infringement.

Jeff still doesn't know much about inkscape and would like to know as well.

Jeff also realizes he is speaking in third-person and doesn't really know why or care.

Good day.
Darknight_88 is glad that everyone [who have posted up to this time] likes this preliminary drawing (in fact, its the final, he just have to add colors xD)
Darknight_88 agrees,  that with this style of skirt and boots, she looks more professional (...like a professional assassin?  ;026 ).
Darknight_88 liked the idea of the >C, so he decided to use it for this drawing.
Darknight_88 also likes the idea of combining real life uniforms with the OS/2 design (in fact, while drawing, he was thinking in the Earth Alliance Uniforms, from Gundam Seed, and other real life uniforms. One of the reasons for the skirt).
Darknight_88 would still like to know If there's a way to make this drawing transparent, because he's lazy, and he will have to start inking this tomorrow.
Darknight_88 realizes that he's also speaking in third person.

Oh, yah, I didn't drew her with glasses, I'll do that once I start with photoshop. Still thinkin if giving her "Evil Rena" eyes [cat eyes...] or leave them as they're now.
I will try to conduct a test now to try the vectoring power of Inkscape with color pics. Maybe I can save a lot of work that way and make it more interesting. We'll see-

C-Chan

Okay I'm back!!  ^v^

Lesse....

*reads*

C-Chan added the following  40 minutes after last message :

Quoteand finally, here's it, my OS/2 Version (Pre inking/coloring). Will make a shadowed version later, for reference.

WAII!!!!  SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!  ^V^

Excuse me while I swoon again in delight....

*swoons*

Okay, I'm up.
Okay, this is just awesome, and I really have to thank you and SleepyD for adopting her.  ^__^
Her chances of appearing, at least in a tiny footnote on Wiki, more plausible thanks to you guys.  ^.^

Anyway, quick run down:

-Phaser looks great,.. has that "pistol" look from the V-IV movies that convinces me that Paramount simply took any old gun prop and put half a hairdryer over it.  But yes, the results are great!  ^v^

-The ">C" was a great idea on both your parts and i will add the same in my full-body version (the chibi stays since she is technically a "preconcept").  As i said before, having other artists is important since fresh new ideas are continuously added to improve on the originals.  (">C" seriously would never had occurred to me.  ^__^)

-I know you said later that you forgot the glasses and certainly adding them would give her that 2K-tan ancestry look.  But according to my preconcept backstory, the glasses are a fairly recent addition (age and all...) .  Certainly in her youth, she'd appear a lot like what your pre-ink looks like.  ^.^

-The belt rendition done by you and SleepyD works for me.  ^__^

-We've all drawn different shoes, but just like most of the other OS-tans, her wardrobe does change.  It wouldn't be unlike her to have worn all three pairs at once, although your pair seems the best suited for a combat mission.  ^__^
(or any of her attempted "assassinations" as you suggested).

-The eyes,... ^.^
Evil Rena really does live on in OS/2-tan.... ^v^
-Although the hair is tied in my preconcept and SleepyD's large rendition, again this can change.  In fact, she HAS to untie them if she wants to "multitask" (or go "Medusa" on someone... *snicker snicker* ^.^)
I love the way it looks loose like that, btw,... Makes her seem larger, more,... "unleashed".  ^v^
And again, looks more combat ready.  Look 95-tan!!!  You're day has come!  `v'
(unless that wretched IBM saves you again, those basTURDS.... >_<)

-I made my Star Trek uniform lavendar to avoid such infringements, but again I wouldn't mind making the Star Trek reference more subtle (in the same way that logos are subtle in other OS-tan designs).  So both of youz, please feel free to embellish.  ^.^
(only saw the original Gundam, btw, not SEED or any of the later series....  -__-)

-The skirt you put is actually more like the onces used in the original Star Trek: Motion Picture uniforms -- it looks fantastic, but just thought you should keep that in mind if you want to move a little further from the Star Trek influence.  ^.^
Brief history on the folded skirt.  Since I released PC-DOS yesterday, would you say now that the skirt looks vaguely familiar?  `v'

Yep, tis an old standard-Issue IBM employee skirt (complete with the IBM black-and-blue colors).  Given to her back in the day when the company gave a crap about her well-being,... and still used to this day every time laundry funds run dry again and she's out of clean clothes.  ^.^
It works on PC-DOS-tan cause,... well,... she actually DOES look like a schoolgirl, but yes feel free to give her more professional wear.  ^.^
If anything, I can turn the folded skirt into an injoke (like I sorta just did....  ^v^')

-I think I see what you mean about the torso thing.  Okay, I'll see if I can get Poser to yield me those proportions for the more vixen OS-tans (like full-body Lisa-tan or AtariTOS-tan),   'v'

-Did I forget to mention how extraordinarily awesome this is yet?  ^__^
That does it, 15,000 points for the Darknight!
And throw in another 5,000 to SleepyD for his own two-cents!
And what the heck, to NewYinzer too just for being in the general vicinity!

Come one, come all and get your free points while I'm in a joyous mood!!  ^V^

Okay, give me another second for the Inkscape instructions....  ^.^

C-Chan added the following  17 minutes after last message :

QuoteGreat job! I like it! It appears that Warp-tan is catching on! But for some reason, I never quite got Star Trek. Maybe it's the fact that other things are distracting me. Or the fact that George Takei is gay. Either way, I never really liked it...

Eh,... It's great if you've never seen Anime before, but hard to really dig once you do.  Since it is still a TV series, it can never really get extraodinarliy creative (even with all the CG battle scenes).  E.g., 99% of all aliens are humanoid in appearance. -v-

QuoteAnd one last thing: this is inkscaped. Vectorized at monochrome, 20 layers. Anyone knows If there's any way to erase the white areas and just leave the black lines? (A.K.A: Transparent) that'd save a lot of time when inking (workpaths, stroke path, rinse and repeat...)

QuoteJeff still doesn't know much about inkscape and would like to know as well.

QuoteDarknight_88 would still like to know If there's a way to make this drawing transparent, because he's lazy, and he will have to start inking this tomorrow.
I will try to conduct a test now to try the vectoring power of Inkscape with color pics. Maybe I can save a lot of work that way and make it more interesting. We'll see-

Okay, first off, thank you for your decision to adopt Inkscape as your Vectoring Tool of choice.
Assuming you save frequently, you will never regret the decision.  ^__^

Secondly, by white areas do you mean the fill within the path lines or just that white "paper" background that shows up by default in the Inkscape screen?  To remove the Fill, press CTRL+SHIFT+F to pull up the Fill/Stroke menu, click on the Fill tab, and select the X to remove the fill.  Likewise, you can select the two gradients and patterns to add other effects.

Now if you want to export just the lines to something like Photoshop, all you need to do is remove the fill for all your objects and just Export Bitmap to a PNG file (and make sure saved to a BIG resolution to make life on you easier later on.... ^^).  When you open it Photoshop, the lines will be layed out on a transparent background, which you can copy and paste to a different layer (although be warned that the PNG file won't retain Layering information).

Truth be told, however, you're probably better off adding the base colors in Inkscape anyway, since it makes it very easy to change afterwards (much easier than Photoshop, in that respect).  Depending on your level of experience with it thus far, I can assure you thatit will, at least, be faster.  ^.^

Shading is a different matter, however, and I wouldn't blame you if you found it more intuitive to do it on Photoshop.  (unless you like cel-shading,... I forgot if you did...)  -v-

CaptBrenden

Perhaps everytime a custom tan comes up the other artists should give it a go and put the character into their stule like darknight did... on second thought we would be spending all out time drawing C Chans characters, so maybe not.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Hehehe... I take it you've seen the roadmap.... `v'

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/viewtopic.php?t=187&start=20

...So yeah, unless you cheat like I do, that's gonna take a while.  ^-^

Speaking of which, I have to update the list with all of Aurora's OS-tans....  -v-

NewYinzer

QuoteSpeaking of which, I have to update the list with all of Aurora's OS-tans.... -v-

Speaking of that, I better get busy with the cards...

Darknight_88

Inked with Photoshop due to its lower RAM conmpsumtion and more familiar tools, compared against Inkscape =/. Posted image its half the size of the original (I realized that in my 95-tan CS drawing, Its easier to draw something big and then resize it than doing it all in a small drawing)
Used variable width lines in the hair. Waiting for /ic/ critique, in hopes of learning how to apply the "variable width" technique to the entire drawing.

C-Chan

WAI!!!  So crispy.....!  ^v^

You know I'm totally, completely in love with your OS/2-tan rendition, so the inked version can only make me drool more.  Pretty soon, I swear, I'll need a bib....  -v-

*plops rump on ground*

Anyways, time to wait for this "/ic/" fellow to give his critique.
We shall patiently wait to see how variable width can be "Shopped" to the whole body.  ^__^

*pulls out popcorn and waits*

*stares at OS/2-tan again*

Sorry, can't get my eyes off her...  ^u^

C-Chan added the following  2 minutes after last message :

You know, it's probably a minor detail, but did you know that this thread has grown larger than the PalmOS-tan one?  Neat, huh?  ^___^

*staress at SleepyD's OS/2-tan*

And don't think for a second I've forgotten about you!  ^__^
Not only is the picture awesome as well, bu the Multitasking is priceless!!!  ^V^

*squeals in delight*

SleepyD

If i can find an extra 4 hours in every day, there'd be a full-drawn pic with colors and niftiness. XD;

Question:
...buttons, clips, or zippers?

C-Chan

On her uniform?

Hmmmmm,... *thinks back to Star Trek movies*

Believe it or not, I think it's actually Velcro....  -___-

SleepyD

>_> for easy removal, huh?

Well her phaser has something else to say about that!

NewYinzer

I wouldn't do anything to provoke her, though! Although, every woman has a weakness...