Bella's OS-tan Manga Thread

Started by Bella, April 17, 2008, 05:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

QuoteWha....! You had nothing to say of witty Ken Thompson quotes, USO CIOST HQs, Mac'lantis or the many powers of the Goddess?

Eeep....

Um,... uh,... well,......

I'm sorry I can't hear you, I'm just a lowly pig, see?
Oink oink oink... and stuff....  ^@^

*starts foraging around for food*

QuoteAck, nevermind, have a new page.

*deactivates pig mode*
Okay, NOW we're cookin' with FIYA!!!  ^V^
Or flamebroiled VMS-chan, however this turns out.... ^___^'

Visually, my favorite part is Panel 2 where UNIX-sama displays a rare fit of PURE unbridled anger.  It takes a lot of guts for VMS-sama to talk back with such defiance under such a dangerous predicament.  ^^

Speakig of defiance, "frickin' forcefield"?  My ears are bleeding.  ^___^

That's a cute moment, but I like that little bluff at the end threatening UNIX-sama with annihilation (*snicker snicker chortle chortle*).  Funny how it MAY have been possible in that era -- UNIX-sama may have had the power, but lacked the experience still.  

On the other hand, the DECs were also plagued with more proprietary inefficiences.  Tough call, really.....

Bella

That would be true,... IF OS/2-tan could afford a bunker. Instead, she can barely manage with rented office space,... and a cheap one at that. ^
^'

Nothing like plotting the downfall of the Windows Empire from within a musty cubicle. ^^;

Hah! Many a revolution has been initiated in a musty cubicle...NOT!

QuoteEeep....

Um,... uh,... well,......

I'm sorry I can't hear you, I'm just a lowly pig, see?
Oink oink oink... and stuff.... ^@^

*starts foraging around for food*

Aw drats....but weren't you just talking a moment ago? :P

Quote*deactivates pig mode*
Okay, NOW we're cookin' with FIYA!!! ^V^
Or flamebroiled VMS-chan, however this turns out.... ^___^'

Visually, my favorite part is Panel 2 where UNIX-sama displays a rare fit of PURE unbridled anger. It takes a lot of guts for VMS-sama to talk back with such defiance under such a dangerous predicament. ^^

Speakig of defiance, "frickin' forcefield"? My ears are bleeding. ^___^

That's a cute moment, but I like that little bluff at the end threatening UNIX-sama with annihilation (*snicker snicker chortle chortle*). Funny how it MAY have been possible in that era -- UNIX-sama may have had the power, but lacked the experience still.

On the other hand, the DECs were also plagued with more proprietary inefficiences. Tough call, really.....

Well, the DEC would have had numbers on their side...but Unix-sama had a group of die hard followers.

So, I had an idea, for a sweet little sci-fi comic...I might try this out before I do the Linux-sama comic, since I'm experimenting with inking my comics...

Characters: Lisa-san, OS X Leopard-tan, Apple I-sama

Pages: about 20 or so

Premise: Lisa-san discovers Leopard-chan's ability to time-travel. She begs Leopard-chan to take her back to see Apple I-sama while she was still alive. Leopard-chan agrees to this, and takes Lisa-san back to (early?) 80s. We learn about Leopard-san's power, and much sap ensues.

Logistical notes: For the sake of simplicity, I suppose nothing that Leopard-chan or Lisa-san does in a past timeline will effect their own future; only the future of that alternate timeline. Or you could say that the "universe will balance itself out" instead (IE...say you went back in time and saved somebody who was supposed to get hit by a bus, and the next day they got killed by a lightning strike). I'll probably leave this intentionally unclear.

I had another thought, as well...while she can give others "a lift", Leopard-tan is the only person who can physically travel through time and space. This is where it gets a bit confusing, but stick with me. Leopard-tan can go any place in time...past, or future, with no known restraints.

The people she gives lifts to, however, are bound by their own lifespan. Therefore, Lisa-san, who was born in 1978, cannot go to a time before her own birth, and likewise for times past her eventual death. Why? Because her passengers don't physically transverse time and space; only their minds do. If there's no living body for their consciousness to inhabit while in that time, they cannot travel. Now, you may wonder why I would opt for this:

-Cuts down on the possibility of bizarre paradoxes. Because if 2008 Lisa ran into 1980s Lisa, that would open the door to a confrontation between her past and current self...and while this wouldn't effect their future timeline, it would make for confusion none the less (something like this happened in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban).

-Makes for better character interaction within the story. If adult Lisa-san ran up to her mother and introduced herself, half the story would consist of Lisa-san trying to convince Apple I-sama of her true identity, not to mention how she got there. If it's just the consciousness of current-day Lisa-san, but in the body of her past self...Apple I-sama would recognize her right away and would make for much more drama.

And Leopard-tan's ability to physically transverse time makes for another interesting idea; we have three very different Leopard-tan designs, yet we consider them the same character at different points in time. My theory; current Leopard-tan (teal-haired young woman) had to go back at one point to help her past self (blue-haired girl). The only way she could avoid a paradox involving her past self was to make her current self look different enough so that her past self wouldn't realize who it was. If you want to be even more mind-bending, you could theorize future Leopard-tan (pink-haired girl) went back in time to current Leopard-tan, and was the one who told her how she could build a time machine (this would be a ontological paradox, I believe).

In exchange for thoughtfully a listening to my insane ramblings, and at least trying to make sense of them, have a cover/"promotional poster" I did for this comic.

Yup, I even have a title and tagline. I should also note that this was sketched and inked in under an hour, with a bit of post production on Photoshop.

Aurora Borealis

Excellent work! The whole introduction and explanations to the limitations of time travel, space travel and time paradoxes is really well thought-out! And with a kick-*** promotional poster with a title AND tagline to boot! ;010 ;010

But it's so sad that Lisa's interactions with Apple I-tan will not affect her in the present day :(

NejinOniwa

I read that as "Only a tool"...and I lol'd so hard, it was good.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Aurora Borealis

I also read that as "Only a tool...", not knowing it was intended to be "Only a fool..." until Nejin stated he misread it ^^; (the top part of the 'f' is very hard to see)

NejinOniwa

Bella

QuoteExcellent work! The whole introduction and explanations to the limitations of time travel, space travel and time paradoxes is really well thought-out! And with a kick-*** promotional poster with a title AND tagline to boot!

Thank you! Though I can't take credit for a lot of the ideas about her time-travel themselves; they are drawn from a lot of different books/movies/TV shows :P

QuoteBut it's so sad that Lisa's interactions with Apple I-tan will not affect her in the present day

What I meant was, Lisa-san's action Lisa's actions in the past won't have any effect on the future (in other words, she can't try to save her mother, or keep from getting booted from the family or anything). Psychologically, it'd probably have a lot of effect on Lisa.

QuoteI read that as "Only a tool"...and I lol'd so hard, it was good.

QuoteI also read that as "Only a tool...", not knowing it was intended to be "Only a fool..." until Nejin stated he misread it ^^; (the top part of the 'f' is very hard to see)

I laughed like mad reading this! And then I went back to check if it was your eyes or my text. OMG! I just about laughed till I cried. Now that was good!

NejinOniwa

And since it seems we obviously are, WE'RE ALL WRENCHES!!!

...except for the mods. They're hammers -w-

Added after 26 seconds:

No wait. I'm a pirate, so some of you have to be wenches...

Added after 20 seconds:

>:3
ARRGH!

C-Chan

QuoteNothing like plotting the downfall of the Windows Empire from within a musty cubicle. ^^;

Hah! Many a revolution has been initiated in a musty cubicle...NOT!

Hey now!  I'm sure I can dig up a copy of the PaperClip-Flicker's Manifesto around here somewhere.  ^^;

QuoteAw drats....but weren't you just talking a moment ago? :P

"All the better to seek medical and/or psychological attention, My Dear."  ^___^

I mean...

Oink oink... ^@^

*keeps foraging*

QuoteSo, I had an idea, for a sweet little sci-fi comic...I might try this out before I do the Linux-sama comic, since I'm experimenting with inking my comics...

Characters: Lisa-san, OS X Leopard-tan, Apple I-sama

I take it my little side-swap at Lisa-chan's backstory has started something, no?  ^____^;

QuotePremise: Lisa-san discovers Leopard-chan's ability to time-travel. She begs Leopard-chan to take her back to see Apple I-sama while she was still alive. Leopard-chan agrees to this, and takes Lisa-san back to (early?) 80s. We learn about Leopard-san's power, and much sap ensues.

Hmmm,... maybe you have something set up, but I'm not sure if Lisa-chan is currently in the begging mode.  It's more likely that Leopard-chan takes her (in secret from anyone else) as a way to cheer her up, or combat a very severe form of depression that has everyone (including ][-chan) worried sick.  It would be Leopard-chan's way of helping out using what she knows best.  ^^

QuoteLogistical notes: For the sake of simplicity, I suppose nothing that Leopard-chan or Lisa-san does in a past timeline will effect their own future; only the future of that alternate timeline. Or you could say that the "universe will balance itself out" instead (IE...say you went back in time and saved somebody who was supposed to get hit by a bus, and the next day they got killed by a lightning strike). I'll probably leave this intentionally unclear.

Haha!  Reminds me of those pages upon pages of theories I posted up about time travel actually being space-time quantum leaps.  You can't change the past because there is no more past -- you can only travel to another dimension that's essentially a snapshot of your universe at an earlier date.  ^^;

The way you put it, though, reminds me of the time travel premise behind the recent Time Travel movie (although admittedly, it doesn't hold a candle,... hell, even a cinder,... to the book).

As a side note, it kinda sucks that there's been no decent movie recreation of H G well's Time Machine, or the War of the Worlds.  The closest I've seen is the Jeff Wayne version of War of the Worlds (first opera, then video game, now potential movie), but it probably helps that I really REALLY love the mecha for it.  :D

http://hollywoodgothique.com/myPictures/waroftheworlds1978.jpg

QuoteThe people she gives lifts to, however, are bound by their own lifespan. Therefore, Lisa-san, who was born in 1978, cannot go to a time before her own birth, and likewise for times past her eventual death. Why? Because her passengers don't physically transverse time and space; only their minds do. If there's no living body for their consciousness to inhabit while in that time, they cannot travel. Now, you may wonder why I would opt for this:
-Cuts down on the possibility of bizarre paradoxes. Because if 2008 Lisa ran into 1980s Lisa, that would open the door to a confrontation between her past and current self...and while this wouldn't effect their future timeline, it would make for confusion none the less (something like this happened in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban).

-Makes for better character interaction within the story. If adult Lisa-san ran up to her mother and introduced herself, half the story would consist of Lisa-san trying to convince Apple I-sama of her true identity, not to mention how she got there. If it's just the consciousness of current-day Lisa-san, but in the body of her past self...Apple I-sama would recognize her right away and would make for much more drama.

Actually, I like the notion of spiritual time travel as well, if only because it also makes the experience more "dream like".  That might even help with the "begging" part above, as Lisa-san doesn't really need to know that she's traveling back in time, but is simply having a very therapeutic, life-changing dream.

Some very ancient Indian literature does talk about the transcendence of the spirit from the mind as a means to break from physical bounds and literally be able to explore the universe.  Given that the context often ties this to Paleo-SETI theories, I kinda liked how this notion was somewhat explored in the movie Contact.

Where as the humans expected the machine (that they built from the so-called "VeGan code") would somehow propel the occupant into space at a speed of several light years, or create a wormwhole connect to VeGa, or do some other wacky PHYSICAL form of space travel, in actuality the alien's method of travel is entirely spiritual.  Hence there's no need for spaceships or high end technology to be able to explore space and time, unhindered by hunger and thirst, and with the capacity to do so indefinitely.

I've always believed that the "dream state" is a kind of primitive precursor to spiritual transcendence, as you're able to project yourself into different worlds and dimensions, and experience past and sometimes even future events that may or may not relate to you -- but have little to no control of your actions, and are still ultimately tied to your physical self.  

In any event, I don't want to take up pages upon pages on THAT topic, so let me end it there.  ^^;

QuoteIn exchange for thoughtfully a listening to my insane ramblings, and at least trying to make sense of them, have a cover/"promotional poster" I did for this comic.

Yup, I even have a title and tagline. I should also note that this was sketched and inked in under an hour, with a bit of post production on Photoshop.

*PIZZA-SUPREME-SWOONAGE*  ^V^

It's been a long time since I've seen a Leopard-chan from you, but I see you've not lost your touch.  ^__^

True, I also "lol"ed at the obvious pun in the title.  ^.^

Bella

Yay, I got around to inking a few more pages! Yes, I've starting inking them...

Page 27:

Notes: Oh Dear Lord. Unix-sama is smiling again O__O

Page 28:

Notes: As promised, (lil') BSD-chan shows up!

QuoteHmmm,... maybe you have something set up, but I'm not sure if Lisa-chan is currently in the begging mode. It's more likely that Leopard-chan takes her (in secret from anyone else) as a way to cheer her up, or combat a very severe form of depression that has everyone (including ][-chan) worried sick. It would be Leopard-chan's way of helping out using what she knows best. ^^

No, this sounds better.

QuoteHaha! Reminds me of those pages upon pages of theories I posted up about time travel actually being space-time quantum leaps. You can't change the past because there is no more past -- you can only travel to another dimension that's essentially a snapshot of your universe at an earlier date. ^^;

Ah yes, I remember hearing that...

QuoteThe way you put it, though, reminds me of the time travel premise behind the recent Time Travel movie (although admittedly, it doesn't hold a candle,... hell, even a cinder,... to the book).

As a side note, it kinda sucks that there's been no decent movie recreation of H G well's Time Machine, or the War of the Worlds. The closest I've seen is the Jeff Wayne version of War of the Worlds (first opera, then video game, now potential movie), but it probably helps that I really REALLY love the mecha for it.

http://hollywoodgothique.com/myPictures/waroftheworlds1978.jpg

I thought the 2005 version of War of the Worlds was pretty good... ;)

QuoteActually, I like the notion of spiritual time travel as well, if only because it also makes the experience more "dream like". That might even help with the "begging" part above, as Lisa-san doesn't really need to know that she's traveling back in time, but is simply having a very therapeutic, life-changing dream.

I suppose she will know what's happening, as she'd need Leopard-tan to bring her to the 1980s, and then back to 2008.

Some very ancient Indian literature does talk about the transcendence of the spirit from the mind as a means to break from physical bounds and literally be able to explore the universe. Given that the context often ties this to Paleo-SETI theories, I kinda liked how this notion was somewhat explored in the movie Contact.

Hey, Contact...that was a great movie....

But yeah, this sounds like the concept of astral travel...and I'd ask about this Paleo-SETI, but this somehow seems like opening a can of hueg-post worms :P

QuoteWhere as the humans expected the machine (that they built from the so-called "VeGan code") would somehow propel the occupant into space at a speed of several light years, or create a wormwhole connect to VeGa, or do some other wacky PHYSICAL form of space travel, in actuality the alien's method of travel is entirely spiritual. Hence there's no need for spaceships or high end technology to be able to explore space and time, unhindered by hunger and thirst, and with the capacity to do so indefinitely.

I've always believed that the "dream state" is a kind of primitive precursor to spiritual transcendence, as you're able to project yourself into different worlds and dimensions, and experience past and sometimes even future events that may or may not relate to you -- but have little to no control of your actions, and are still ultimately tied to your physical self.

In any event, I don't want to take up pages upon pages on THAT topic, so let me end it there. ^^;

That's very deep, and kinda my view on it, too...you should hear some of the philosophical discussions I get into with people... @__@

QuoteAt any rate,

*PIZZA-SUPREME-SWOONAGE* ^V^

It's been a long time since I've seen a Leopard-chan from you, but I see you've not lost your touch. ^__^

True, I also "lol"ed at the obvious pun in the title. ^.^

Awwww dammmmmitttt! That tagline wasn't supposed to be funny >__<

Thank you, though. I wanted to give Leopard-tan that slightly mad scientist look. XD

NejinOniwa

NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWH- wait, why am I thinking this is evolving in Yuri directions? My head must be getting really screwed up with the impending system upgrade and all.

Aurora Borealis

Holy crap! Unix is interregating VMS-sama! And I'm not sure if she will comply with VMS-sama's request (assuming she confesses) yet she makes it out alive somehow... I must know!! The suspense is building!

And... a challenger appears?! I wonder what she's gonna do!

Bella

Dirty thoughts are bad for you, Nejin-san...here, have this pillow and go take a nap. I think the lack of sleep is getting to your head :P

I can assure you, however, things are gonna get weirder before they get weirder O__o

Page 29:

Notes: In the top panel (2?), VMS-sama is referencing Multics-sama's getting beaten in a fight even when she had this ring spell. We know the fight was with Unix-sama, but VMS-sama doesn't.

Oh yes, and the irony in VMS-sama's asking Unix-sama if she's happy now @__@

Page 30:

Notes: Looks like VMS-sama is angry at the anti-climax (let me hope the viewership isn't). Meanwhile, BSD-chan decides to crash the fight, and we see that, in the span of a few minutes, Unix-sama can cycle through more human emotions than most people can in a week @_______@

(Oh and BTW, these are pages that I sketched out weeks ago, I'm just now finishing them)

Aurora Borealis

I am not disappointed at all by the anticlimatic end of the battle- that was probably the only way for the battle to end with VMS-sama coming out alive!

C-Chan

QuoteYay, I got around to inking a few more pages! Yes, I've starting inking them...

Wonderful -- so basically, you're manga-like art really IS now quite manga-quality.  I know you started doing pencil-only sketching to save time and get the story moving forward much more quickly.  But as long as you got the handle on speed, by all means I support this new approach.  ^^

Then again, looking at your previous battles pages,... they're still pretty darn sharp.  From a cost-benefit standpoint, not sure if inking them now lends much more than what you previously succeeded in doing.  'v'

QuoteNotes: Oh Dear Lord. Unix-sama is smiling again O__O

I warned you about UNIX-sama smiling, no?  ^.~

Panel 1 shows a very BEAUTIFUL profile shot of UNIX-sama tormenting the young VMS-san.  Plus seeing her tap the forcefield playfully is a very clever touch, and does much to illustrate the character of the goddess.  ^^

Am obliged to point out a little mistake in her text box, though.  It reads "...who taught that you little trick", instead of "...who taught you that little trick".  ^^;

QuoteNotes: As promised, (lil') BSD-chan shows up!

How CUTE!  ^v^

That's a far cry from the tall, elegant enchantress we saw back in Page 4.  ^.^

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/comicpage4sm.png

QuoteI thought the 2005 version of War of the Worlds was pretty good...

Which one?  There were about 3 WOTW movies issued in the vicinty of 2005, and all of them made mincemeat of the incredible story-telling power of the original book.  One of the things both the 1953 non-tripod version and the Steven Spielberg version have in common is that they fail to give the humans a fighting chance.  This establishes the notion of blind extermination without the political and philosophical metaphors that accompanied the original book, where the Martian tripods, while certainly a lot more technologically-advanced, were not invincible (especially to the Thunder Child).  

Though not apparent to the narrator until the end of the novel, strategy is actually a very integral part to the Martian invasion of Britain only, the heart of human military might at that time.  Aside from crippling the humans' ability to defend themselves and establish a beach head for further colonization(?) efforts, the lightning-quick attacks to all the major cities were as much a distraction to allow unhindered completion of the Martians' Flying Machines (revealed at the end of the book), which would have made further attacks on the humans (who lacked anti-air capabilities) a veritable turkey shoot.  

Even the consumption of human blood was apparently not intended to be a goal, but rather a perceived side-benefit to the invasion given the similarity human beings had to the martian bipeds they already consumed.  I always imagined that the consumption of human blood actually hastened the Martian's sickness, as they ingested all sorts of bacteria they weren't meant to eat.  ^^;

Lastly, the most powerful weapon the Martian's possessed was not the heat ray, but rather the Black Dust, which was a kind of poison gas that foreshadowed its deadly use during World War I only a few decades later.  This was rereimagined frighteningly by Orson Welles' radio show during the 30's, but omitted in all movies ever since due to budgetary or time constraints.  But in doing so, it removes one of the most damning aspects of the original book -- taking away the modern machinery, a well-employed use of "low-tech" weaponry is enough to bring a population to its knees, no matter how mighty its military is (as was the case with Colonial Britain).  The same obviously held true for the Martians in the end.  

And why in the world did I spend so much time talking about WOTW?  Maybe I just like the book so much?  -.-'

QuoteHey, Contact...that was a great movie....

But yeah, this sounds like the concept of astral travel...

Better name for it.  ^^

Quoteand I'd ask about this Paleo-SETI, but this somehow seems like opening a can of hueg-post worms :P

Yeah, I already used my "Ramble" card on WOTW.  ^.^
Just watch the latest Indiana Jones movies for the central theme behind Paleo-SETI research.  It's an interesting field, although it tends to distract too much over the alternatives explanation that more advanced human civilizations could have also existed.  Not to say the two are mutually-exclusive -- plus there's strong motivation for the powers-that-be to withhold evidence of either possibility.

QuoteThat's very deep, and kinda my view on it, too...you should hear some of the philosophical discussions I get into with people... @__@

Fufufu...  Bella's in sync. ^___^

QuoteAwwww dammmmmitttt! That tagline wasn't supposed to be funny >__<

Too late, we just commandeered that line for humor. ^.^

QuoteNOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWH- wait, why am I thinking this is evolving in Yuri directions? My head must be getting really screwed up with the impending system upgrade and all.

Wait,... so now we're shipping UNIX-sama and VMS-sama?  ^^;

*ponders*

Hmmmmmm,... guess that could work.....  ^3^;

*hears sound of two pairs of boots hurling his way*

Eeep....  ^^;

*SQUASH!!!!!!!!*

QuoteNotes: In the top panel (2?), VMS-sama is referencing Multics-sama's getting beaten in a fight even when she had this ring spell. We know the fight was with Unix-sama, but VMS-sama doesn't.

Oh yes, and the irony in VMS-sama's asking Unix-sama if she's happy now @__@

Awww... so now VMS-sama [unwittingly] hit below UNIX-sama's built.  -.-

That's a very interesting way that VMS-sama killed off UNIX-sama's will to fight.  Sure, it sounds anti-climactic to the uninformed reader -- but considering we've all but INVENTED Unix sap, I know why I should feel sad, and at the same time happy that the fight didn't get any worse than it could've.  ^^

QuoteNotes: Looks like VMS-sama is angry at the anti-climax (let me hope the viewership isn't). Meanwhile, BSD-chan decides to crash the fight, and we see that, in the span of a few minutes, Unix-sama can cycle through more human emotions than most people can in a week @_______@

(Oh and BTW, these are pages that I sketched out weeks ago, I'm just now finishing them)

Yay!  Loli BSD-chan!  ^^

Course, now that she's essentially "unsquashed", VMS-sama's profile shots look pretty annd delicate again.  ^^
And UNIX-sama,... well, you can never go wrong with her, but her surprised expression in the last panel is outright lo-ve-ly. ^.^

I'm very curious to see what's gonna happen from here on out.  ^-^