4koma Project!

Started by SleepyD, September 02, 2006, 02:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyD

Ok... it seems that myself and others have come upon the idea that creating a bunch of 4koma's is a good idea.  

So,

First, a name.  shall be this placed under Digital Complex, or shall we name it something else, like... i dunno. Simply Digital. XD;;

Furthermore, since there isn't really much of a story, anyone can submit anything of decent quality, really.  ...of course, nothing is stopping you from creating a little plot to go for mutiple pages.

If one has an idea but doesn't want to draw, let the artists know. I know I have a hard time coming up with ideas.  You can collaborate to make one, or just make one yourself.

OK. I think I'm done. If there's anything else people would like to add to get this thing more organized and detailed, please do so here, and the original post will be edited accordingly.

NewYinzer

Hmm...let me wipe off the cobwebs and come up with a good idea...

What about:
-Exploring the effects of the Vista Launch on XP-tan?
-The bitter feud between OS/2-tan and 95-nee-san?
-The end of support for Windows 98 and SE?
-The friendship of PET-tan and C64-tan?
-The ongoing browser wars between Firefox-ko, Opera-tan, Netscape-tan, and IE-tan?

The next card is:

C-Chan

*drags herself in*

Gaaaaaaaaah,... no more........ can't......... continue......
Energy...... spent......... spamming......... other......... threads.........  X__x

*swoons*

No but seriously, I love the idea, but fear that our mutual time commitments will plague hell on our progress.  ^__^'

Before we even start, I propose first brainstorming methods to create an assembly line-style collaborative effort so we can churn these out quickly.  The faster we can create our own 4Koma-style comics, the more we'll accumulate and the greater our morale will be and drive to produce more.  ^__^

The steps should be broken down to the least complicated components, so that the person handling the individual tasks need not take more than 20 minutes creating their fill.  Everyone willing to participate should also post the hours they are free the most so that we know (more or less) who can work on what and when.  

In any case, here's a proposed roadmap for a sample 4Koma comic:

==================

1) Decide on target character (Chibi ME)

2) Deside on supporting characters (none)

3) Decide on complex or simple comic panels (simple, no background)

4) Decide on comic format (4 panel, top to bottom fully-vertical, no continuation)

5) Decide on premise (eating rollcake)

6) Expand on premise (while rummaging through Recycle Bin, ME-tan finds an old deleted rollcake and has no qualms about eating it [yuck!])

7) Text storyboard comic

>   1>  Me rummages through recycling bin
>    2>  Me pauses, feeling something familiar
>     3>  Me pulls out rollcake
>     4>  Me plops it in her mouth, savoring it happily

8} Embellish text storyboard

>      1> There should be something to explain why ME-tan is rummaging through the recycling bin.  Maybe she has with her a list of items she was requested to undelete.  In that case, have a few file extension icons lying around her to give sense of "mess".  Her arm should be fully extended into the Recycling bin.
>      2> Place the action "crown" next to ME-tan's head to indicate that something's caught her attention.  Also, wouldn't hurt to expand her "!" tag to exaggerate sense of surprise.
>      3> Rollcake should be made to look old, with an off-color, flies and a tag trailing behind it with an old date in the exact format as seen in the Windows Explorer Detail screen.  Since this is Chibi Me, the rollcake should be nearly half the size of her head.
>      4> Despite its size, ME-tan sucks on it innocently the way a kid would suck on a popsicle.

9)  Establish emotions (eyes/face):

>        1> Eyes normal; subtle smile; tongue upturned, sticking out slightly; face turned away, letting her hands do all the searching.
>        2> Pupils shrink slightly in surprise; narrow slit for a month, neither smiling nor frowning; face still turned away
>        3> Eyes normal, but brows raised slightly out of curiosity; mouth is tiny "o" shape; face is turned towards the recycling bin/rollcake
>         4> Eyes closed in narrow arch-shape; mouth covered entirely by rollcake; mild blush below her eyes; heart-shape floats by her head

10) Stick-figure storyboard  sketch

11) Round-figure storyboard sketch

12) Preliminary rough sketch of ME-tan's head, hair outline only

13) Preliminary rough sketch of ME-tan's body

14) Preliminary rough sketch of props

15) Preliminary rough sketch of ME-tan's hair

16) Panel 1 final sketch of ME and props with details finalized.

17) Panel 2 final sketch of ME and props with details finalized.

18} Panel 3 final sketch of ME and props with details finalized.

19) Panel 4 final sketch of ME and props with details finalized.

20) Panel 1 inking (line tracing)

21) Panel 2 inking

22) Panel 3 inking

23) Panel 4 inking

24) Panel 1 embellishments (foreground, background, additional props)

25) Panel 2 embellishments

26) Panel 3 embellishments

27) Panel 4 embellishments

28} Panel 1 base color (simple bucket fill)

29) Panel 1 base color

30) Panel 2 base color

31) Panel 3 base color

32) Panel 4 base color

33) Panel 1 color embellishments

34) Panel 2 color embellishments

35) Panel 3 color embellishments

36) Panel 4 color embellishments

37) Panel 1 shading (establish light direction)

38} Panel 2 shading

39) Panel 3 shading

40) Panel 4 shading

41) Panel 1 shadows

42) Panel 2 shadows

43) Panel 3 shadows

44) Panel 4 shadows

45) Text Bubbles?  (no)

46) English/Japanese Text sound effects? (yes)

>    -Small "Japanese Clumping" sounds for rummaging through Recycling Bin
>    -Small Japanese "plop" sound for sticking rollcake into mouth.  ma

47)  Write specific script or kanji/kana symbols to be used and where.

48}  Add Text bubbles and text if applicable to panels

49) Final touchup pass

50) Add in credits.

================

Sounds like a lot, but broken down between just 5 people, and that's only 10 small steps for each person!  ^__^

10 people = 5 small steps

If someday we should have 20 people,.. by GAWDS!!!  We could practically be our own animation studio!  ^__^

But the trick is to keep efficiency in mind.  Everyone has busy schedules to keep and witty anecdotes to post; but as long as we can work around this handicap (and use it to our advantage), we can carry this project out into fruition.  ^__^'

C-Chan added the following  5 minutes after last message :

Think about it for a while.  ^__^

I'll be working on my weekly chibis, so please don't mind me if I disappear for a while.  But I will definitely be back.  ^v^

Darknight_88

Now, as this is something that doesn't needs a dedicated team and deadlines, I think I can help once in a while.

I like the idea of not having an overall plot, that gives a lot of freedom to non-dedicated contributors.
For those who do not draw: post your ideas!! some of us just can't come up with new ideas =/
I think that I'd be good if the strips kept text to a minimum (and even none if it's possible)
If there's a theme that can be considered "obscure", we can add an explanation in the end of the strip

I'm not sure about keeping the strips in grayscale or color. And also not sure about if we should keep a common style or have everyone drawing their own style

Here, I have an idea for the strip about XP-tan reaction about Vista (not sure if this will be done soon, but I plan on drawing this). It also helps as a reference on how writing your ideas if you want someone else to write a comic).

panel 1:
XP-tan walking around (background: none, maybe some windows opened). A window catches her attention. Looks like a calendar
panel 2:
The calendar covers the entire panel (anyone can post a screenshot of any  calendar software?). There's a date marked, the Win Vista release date. It haves a reminder: "Get Win Vista ASAP" (or something along the lines)
panel 3:
XP-tan face covers entire panel. Stunned expresion
panel 4:
2 options: 1)XP-tan on sit on the ground, covering her face with her arms 2)XP-tan face, 1 tear in each eye, sad look.

Waprot

NewYinzer

Quotepanel 1:
XP-tan walking around (background: none, maybe some windows opened). A window catches her attention. Looks like a calendar
panel 2:
The calendar covers the entire panel (anyone can post a screenshot of any calendar software?). There's a date marked, the Win Vista release date. It haves a reminder: "Get Win Vista ASAP" (or something along the lines)
panel 3:
XP-tan face covers entire panel. Stunned expresion
panel 4:
2 options: 1)XP-tan on sit on the ground, covering her face with her arms 2)XP-tan face, 1 tear in each eye, sad look.

Good idea, but how about this:
Panel 1:
XP skipping, quietly saying "The computer was made for me" (background : none)
Panel 2: XP stops suddenly, with a perplexed look on her face (background: none, but dark)
Panel 3: We see a calendar, with "Buy Win Vista" on some date (art: just a picture of a calendar, but a picture of the program is fine)
Panel 4 has three options:
1) XP on the ground, face in arms, crying
2) XP's face, one tear in each eye, sad look
3) XP's face, small tear coming off the left eye, sad look

I'll be back to school on the 5th, so please don't mind me if I disappear for a while. School hours are 8am-6pm. I'll probably post every few days from 8pm-10pm. Rest assured, I will definitely be back.

C-Chan

Ahh, there'll be more than enough time to depress ourselves later.  I'd vote for humorous endings, since that helps with morale and all.  ^__^

Since you guys laid out the conceptual framework, here's my stick sketch contribution featuring both your ideas plus some embellishments.

If you like what you see, feel free to redraw or sketch the next parts over it.  ^.^

NewYinzer

Genius! Good idea, sticking to humor and not getting caught up in the drama. Anyone want to draw this?

Wistful thinking: Someday, this site may become 1/4 the size of MegaTokyo.

CaptBrenden

HUmm, i find that idea funny, I might have to do a quick full page one with screen tones.  or maybe I should get back to working on Digital complex, its well over do for progress.

Must stay... away... from... side projects....

GAH!!
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

NewYinzer

Keep to Digital Complex. I can't wait to see the final project!

CaptBrenden

Oh well, Ill take a shot at it tonight, while I wait for the writer to finish the rough draft.  Eads insists that he is working on it while reading over our old posts, mewhile drawing up a one page sketch might be a good warmup for me.  That and I should Probobly finish the XP digital complex poster now that I got it off my dead laptops harddrive

NewYinzer

Sounds good. Any progress on the 4koma?

CaptBrenden

could someone explain to me 4koma?

Darknight_88

Quote from: "C-Chan"Ahh, there'll be more than enough time to depress ourselves later.  I'd vote for humorous endings, since that helps with morale and all.  ^__^

Since you guys laid out the conceptual framework, here's my stick sketch contribution featuring both your ideas plus some embellishments.

If you like what you see, feel free to redraw or sketch the next parts over it.  ^.^

LOL
I love the idea. Except for the stick XP-tan, everything else is fine (the calendar, but maybe there's some way to add a bit of color to the calendar?)

C-Chan

[protesting] Hey now, the stick figures are there to ensure the concept sketch doesn't take any more than the 20 minute Limit to draw!  ^0^
Remember, I'm trying to advocate for an assembly line approach so that drawing these 4Koma panels can be quick and easy....  ^-^

*chuckles*

Hehe,... in other words,... my work is done for a while....  -v-

*hands over paintbucket and copic marker to Darknight*

Your turn....  ^__^

I'd recommend doing a round sketch on XP-tan and adding at least a color map to the background images.  ^__^

Let me know when you're done....  ^v^

*trots away*