Aurora's got an OS-tan art thread! Wait... what?!

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 01, 2006, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

After seeing C-chan's art threads of OS-tans he/she made, I was thinking "Hey that's cool! I should share my ideas too!" and well so that's what I'm doing!

Macintosh System 1.0, the first OS I tried making into an OS-tan. Her hammer is a reference to the "1984" commercial advertising the first Macintosh. She's a natural-born leader and very trendy (at least for her time, explaining her 1980's style design. Crimped hair, leg warmers, biker shorts over dresses, side ponytail...)

Macintosh System 6.0.8-tan. Her character design is a reference to 6.0.8's codename, Terminator! She's destructive and likes to fly around and blast things- oh, only if she could multitask! (If I recall correctly, Multitasking wasn't introduced in Macs until System 7) But the jetpack and bomb-firing bazooka are for artistic liscence though.

Macintosh System 7-tan. She's a former gangster but now she's a bordeline emo shell of her former powerful self- her blue suit and her depressed personality are refernces to System 7's first codename, Blue. Her being a gangster is a reference to System 7.5's codename, Capone. She almost got killed by 95-tan, but she spared her life so she'd have to live with that humiliating defeat.

Rhapsody/OS X Server-tan. She's a musician, referring to her codename and she has a basket of apple cider bottles that she serves to others because she is a server OS. But she is less stable than her sisters and is perpetually slightly drunk. And with the Mac OS's reputation of being good with multimedia, she hosts various TV shows.

After drawing 4 Mac OS-tans, I decided to try making character designs for other platforms. Here's Solaris-tan. I don't have an established personality for her yet because I barely know anything about Solaris, but she runs a coffee shop and makes world-famous Java.

QNX Neutrino-tan. She's very smart and useful and a skilled scientist who is one of Toshiaki's assistants because QNX Neutrino is mainly a scientific and industrial OS.

Red Hat-tan. Another OS I don't know much about so she also doesn't have a well-established personality yet. But I like her character design because it makes her look mysterious, like a secret agent, which she is in ZS.

My bad attempt at a Windows 1.0-tan. But at least the sea greenish-red-blue-yellow color scheme is accurate. She has a slight resemblance to ME-tan because, well... she has a bad reputation too!

And before I wrap things up, *looks at clock* It's taken 37 minutes for me to type all this!

NewYinzer

Not bad, not bad at all. In fact, I like them. C-Chan, you've gotta see this!

Bob's dead...What will Pittsburgh do now?

Alex Stankevitch

I like them, its better than I could do. My best would be OSstick-tan.

NewYinzer

Me too...I'm no great artist!

Bob's spirit must live on...

C-Chan

I'm here now, but I'm afraid not for too long.  The feeling of being forcefully transmogrified into a 2K-tan is leaving me with a sensation not-all-that-dissimilar to jet lag....  X__x

*wobbles*

In any case, I'm loving this greatly Aurora!  ^v^
Brief comments for each one of:  ^.^

Macintosh System 1.0  -- excellent, and clever use of the hammer.  Glad you took up the slack for the Mac-tans, since I got lazy and left Generic Mac-tan to represent all the pre-OS9 versions.  ^__^

Macintosh System 6.0.8-tan -- excellent, and judging by your knowledge, it shows you're a definitve Mac user.  ^__^

Macintosh System 7-tan -- excellent, of course, and clearly another -tan with a vendatta against Windows (there are lots).  oh and come now...  let the old hag into your comics.  That way you can give her what she's got coming.  ^__^

Rhapsody/OS X Server-tan -- excellent, but surprised she didn't get a cat codename.  '_'

Solaris-tan -- cute.  ^.^
But bear in mind that Solaris is a very powerful system, so make sure she's able to whoop people in their place if need be.  There is a SunOS out there, but it's not much to go by...
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=62

QNX Neutrino-tan -- sweet.  ^v^
And a big help too, since I needed a QNX-tan but was a little undecided on how to do her personality.  Certainly a smart and skilled scientist would be more useful to OS/2-tan's cause.  When the time comes, would you mind if I borrowed her?  ^__^

RedHat -- fabulous!  And it parallels other RedHat designs too, so it's like we're all in compliance on how she should look.  ^__^
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=34
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=4
Plus I too have in mind making her (and Fedora) be secret agents.  RedHat-tan's a done deal, then!  ^v^

Windows 1.0-tan -- hmmm,... I know where you're getting at with the hair, but I'm not sure if the ME-look fits her era.  You can always describe her "bad reputation" in your comic in other ways.  Sea-green hair is fine, but how about a style change?  ^__^
Say like the one that Newyinzer found:  http://img.2chan.net/10/src/1156081551990.jpg
Haven't really seen that particular hair style in other Windows-tans, so you'd be in fresh new territory.  ^.^

Well, that's my two-cent coin for now (and yes, 2 cent coins were common in the past).  ^__^

Keep up the artistry, Aurora!
The more the merrier!  ^-^

Kami-Tux

well done! But I agree with this ME-tan on Windows 1.0-tan. She looks too modern.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

Again, very good job. Is it me, or do we have about five or six new members?

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "C-Chan"I'm here now, but I'm afraid not for too long.  The feeling of being forcefully transmogrified into a 2K-tan is leaving me with a sensation not-all-that-dissimilar to jet lag....  X__x

*wobbles*

In any case, I'm loving this greatly Aurora!  ^v^
Brief comments for each one of:  ^.^

Macintosh System 1.0  -- excellent, and clever use of the hammer.  Glad you took up the slack for the Mac-tans, since I got lazy and left Generic Mac-tan to represent all the pre-OS9 versions.  ^__^

Macintosh System 6.0.8-tan -- excellent, and judging by your knowledge, it shows you're a definitve Mac user.  ^__^

Macintosh System 7-tan -- excellent, of course, and clearly another -tan with a vendatta against Windows (there are lots).  oh and come now...  let the old hag into your comics.  That way you can give her what she's got coming.  ^__^

Rhapsody/OS X Server-tan -- excellent, but surprised she didn't get a cat codename.  '_'

Solaris-tan -- cute.  ^.^
But bear in mind that Solaris is a very powerful system, so make sure she's able to whoop people in their place if need be.  There is a SunOS out there, but it's not much to go by...
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=62

QNX Neutrino-tan -- sweet.  ^v^
And a big help too, since I needed a QNX-tan but was a little undecided on how to do her personality.  Certainly a smart and skilled scientist would be more useful to OS/2-tan's cause.  When the time comes, would you mind if I borrowed her?  ^__^

RedHat -- fabulous!  And it parallels other RedHat designs too, so it's like we're all in compliance on how she should look.  ^__^
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=34
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=4
Plus I too have in mind making her (and Fedora) be secret agents.  RedHat-tan's a done deal, then!  ^v^

Windows 1.0-tan -- hmmm,... I know where you're getting at with the hair, but I'm not sure if the ME-look fits her era.  You can always describe her "bad reputation" in your comic in other ways.  Sea-green hair is fine, but how about a style change?  ^__^
Say like the one that Newyinzer found:  http://img.2chan.net/10/src/1156081551990.jpg
Haven't really seen that particular hair style in other Windows-tans, so you'd be in fresh new territory.  ^.^

Well, that's my two-cent coin for now (and yes, 2 cent coins were common in the past).  ^__^

Keep up the artistry, Aurora!
The more the merrier!  ^-^

Thanks! A revised Windows 1-tan will be in the next batch of OS-tans I'm making! And I was undecided about adding 95-tan into zerOSanity because in ZS, the OS-wars have ended. But then again, that doesn't mean that there can't be flashbacks about the start of the OS-war! But I can't help but wonder, if she does appear, how did she agree to the truce that ended the war?

I'm also surprised that OS X Server didn't have a cat-related codename, but Rhapsody is her codename probably so that it harmonizes with Sonata, because Rhapsody's GUI looks a lot like OS 9's.

NewYinzer

QuoteI'm also surprised that OS X Server didn't have a cat-related codename, but Rhapsody is her codename probably so that it harmonizes with Sonata, because Rhapsody's GUI looks a lot like OS 9's.

C-Chan

Now that I look at that pick, the release 7 does look a little like a Yakuza.
Perfect sync then.  ^__^

Oh, and how would she have agreed to the truce?
Easy,... word from the top.  ^v^
Despite her own personal objections, whatever Bill says is done.  Period.

Hmmm,... Bill,... psycho girl with sword and vendatta....

Suddenly 95-tan is reminding me a little of Elle Driver....  Ã,¬__Ã,¬'

SleepyD

haha, it looks like the current project of these forums is creating designs for the OSs without them.

Next, due to this mass of characters, there will have to be MULTIPLE in-house comics so none of them become ignored and forgotten.

That said, I'm liking the designs. Whenever I have breaks from school work, i may redraw them in full-body proporions.  hehe... lots of stuff to blow up... fun. ^^

NewYinzer

Yes! To master SleepyD you listen! What we need is to start comics, preferably 4koma ones, to give these characters a back story!

Pitkin

Woo, cool Mac and other-tans! Especially love the Red Hat-tan and QNX Neutrino-tan!

Your drawings are very cute, and sign of great talent. Hope to see more of OS-tans from you, yes sirree. ^__^

NewYinzer

Ah yes. Very good work. I think I included one of your drawings in my OS-Tan cards. It will be posted when I can submit it to flickr.

C-Chan

See now, NewYinzer?

Patience and flag-waving paid off after all.  ^__^
Feel free to thank the pig... -v-

Er,.......... well,... whatever the heck I am now....  Ã,¬_Ã,¬

*checks avatar*

Oh right, 2K-tan.... Ã,¬_Ã,¬'