FOSA Preamble

Started by C-Chan, January 18, 2008, 01:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

QuoteYou can imagine how happy I am to have you on board, Nejin-san. ^___^

You're a frequent visitor to the forum, and I know from your forum gaming that you have enthusiasm to spare. So yes, I'm getting more confident than ever that this experiment will succeed. ^^

Now then,... regarding the Pilot Run.....

I was thinking of a particular object to start with, such as a ring, castle, radio, tree or a living room....

In the end, I figure I'd ask your opinions to see where to start. Maybe y'all might one to start with something immediately OS-tan relevant first?
Hey, I'm like OSC's own Konata: Overly long hair, obsessive otaku, gaming freak, martial arts training, abusive of the -w- and of course eternally sleep-deprived. Just hope that you can count on me more than her >w<
^
(Nejin's elaborate way to avoid expressing embarrassment.)

Regarding the Pilot: How about we do as the old scientists did, sketch/raster a few objects and throw them into vectoring Blenderspace? Just to test our own adaptability. Something random to start us off, and we can always shove something interesting into it all!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

I've read everything, but I'm still a bit confused--Is this project going to be done like a "round robin", where one person vector sketches, the next shades, the next adds detail, etc? Or are we going to agree on a vector sketch and then each do our own job simultaneously? Because the former seems like it could be easier...

At any rate, I think I'd feel most comfortable as an:
-owner (I'm choc full of ideas)
-codifier (I can vector sketch well)
-shader (I'm uber-efficient :P)
-writer (I'm good at research, full of ideas, and think I'm fairly good at presenting them)
-converter (is this like the person who vector sketches over a hand sketch? Cause I have a lot of experience at this)

I may be able to do
-enhancer (especially with clothes and facial features)
-luminator (mostly for eyes, faces and hair...but I'm not too great at backgrounds and such)
-trailblazer (though I'm not so sure, I think I'd be better as a codifier)

QuoteI was thinking of a particular object to start with, such as a ring, castle, radio, tree or a living room....

In the end, I figure I'd ask your opinions to see where to start. Maybe y'all might one to start with something immediately OS-tan relevant first?

I sorta think we should just go ahead and draw a -tan. Either we can choose a real iconic OS-tan like ME or XP-tan, or perhaps take the more adventurous route and design a little known Distro-tan or something like that. Nothing spectacular or too complicated, just a simple flat-shaded portrait or whatever.

And as for possible licenses, look no farther than:

http://creativecommons.org/license/

Added after 2 minutes:

Oh yes, and this is likely a while off, but how will we present our artwork? Will one of us start an OSC account as "FOSA Project" and post our art in the gallery? If we decide on a plan like this, I'd be willing to volunteer ;)

C-Chan

I've read everything, but I'm still a bit confused--Is this project going to be done like a "round robin", where one person vector sketches, the next shades, the next adds detail, etc? Or are we going to agree on a vector sketch and then each do our own job simultaneously? Because the former seems like it could be easier...

Yo Bella-san.  ^^
I risk sounding more cryptic, but in reality it'd be more like a combination of the two circumstances you propose.

There is no turn-taking in the traditional sense, if anything because this is what we tried and failed to set up in the 4Koma project over a year ago.  It can work as far as a professional animation studio is concerned, but the problem with adapting that approach to volunteer work is that you HAVE to have people specialized in what they do (dedicated artists, shaders, etc) and you HAVE to depend that they'll all maintain their schedules.  

You could be all psyched up doing the sketchwork in less than a day, but then when you boot it to me for inking and coloring I might just decide to take a whole month with it.  That slows and eventually stalls down the process.

The second scenario is more appropriate to FOSA, as long as we view it from the right perspective.  We don't have jobs or obligations,... while some people will undoubtedly take their work far more seriously than others, participation is meant to be fundamentally fun and voluntary,... and most importantly, unintrusive.  Plus our agreement on the state of teh vector sketch is purely evolutionary.  People who want to change it CAN change it at any time they want through patches,.. although whether all or some of these changes will make it to the source is up to the community at large.

QuoteAt any rate, I think I'd feel most comfortable as an:
-owner (I'm choc full of ideas)
-codifier (I can vector sketch well)
-shader (I'm uber-efficient :P)
-writer (I'm good at research, full of ideas, and think I'm fairly good at presenting them)
-converter (is this like the person who vector sketches over a hand sketch? Cause I have a lot of experience at this)

I may be able to do
-enhancer (especially with clothes and facial features)
-luminator (mostly for eyes, faces and hair...but I'm not too great at backgrounds and such)
-trailblazer (though I'm not so sure, I think I'd be better as a codifier)

I kinda figured these roles would fit you like a glove.  ^___^

QuoteOh yes, and this is likely a while off, but how will we present our artwork? Will one of us start an OSC account as "FOSA Project" and post our art in the gallery? If we decide on a plan like this, I'd be willing to volunteer

Good question.  For the pilot run, we're going to keep the artwork here for now.  After all, the reason I want to start in February is because Inkscape 0.46 should be out by then (and should solve all the memory issues that would otherwise plague low-end hardware users, as well as introduce useful new tools).

But if our Pilot Run is successful, I'll talk to Tsubashi and Fedora-Tan about not only opening up our own Forum Subsection for FOSA, but also our own gallery section as well, which is neither part of the User Gallery nor the Main Gallery.

Ambitious, no?  ^^

Btw, thanks to you and Kissu for looking deeper into the CC license.  While the compiled Source art will be plain by itself, the Source file itself will have embedded a copy of the license used, as well as a list of people who've contributed to the illustration.  Just like with FOSS programs.  ^___^

==========================

In any event, returning to the issue of the Pilot Run....

Since Kissu-san mentioned kitchen, and Nejin-san mentioned "blender"-something, how about we start with a kitchen setting?  That way the opportunity presents itself to add in all sorts of wacky appliances, food, etc.

And....

In the spirit of compromise that will be commonplace in FOSA.....

Let's plan to have some of the OS-tans use the kitchen as well?  Maybe a mixture of iconic and homebrewed OS-tans?

Stand by....

Added after 1 minutes:

Here's me playing my first role as Prospector.... ^.^

Added after 1 minutes:

Added after 2 minutes:

NejinOniwa

Lookin' good! I'll be on it as soon as I wake up tomorrow - 2 am is a bit late to start things for me. -w-;
Also, that last one, err... ^-^;

C-Chan

What?  I didn't specify the KIND of kitchen, now did I?  ^_________^

But now, I just posted up examples to see the range of variety that we can incorporate into our FOSA kitchen.  And given the wealth of inorganic trinkets that can be strewn throughout the picture, artists of all skill levels well literally have more than enough to work with.  ^.^

Now then,.... stand by for a preliminary Source Art file....

Added after 57 minutes:

Here's my hour's worth of preplanning.  Pure Trailblazer work here, given the basic layout of a proposed kitchen design, color-coded for convenience....

Red:  Cabinets/counters
Purple:  Referigerator
Green:  Table counter
Yellow:  Oven/Stove top
Blue:  Sink
White:  Walls/Floors
Brown:  Window Frames
Transparent Areas:  Outside views (appear in the PNG as dark gray)

It's an eye sore now, but this is just to get the ball rolling on the Pilot Run.  Coupled with the previous pictures and your own rampant imaginations, the OS-tan kitchen will slowly evolve into pure winnage!  ^___^

[attachment deleted by admin]

Aurora Borealis

This FOSA thing sounds like a great idea! A way to work on ambitious picture ideas minus the artist's block! (which I unfortuneatly suffer from too often)

Anyways...

I'm a fast learner, I have 8 years of real experience (I say 'real' because I have used drawing programs more than 8 years ago but that was just me scribbling so I don't count it) with computer graphics, with Photoshop which I have been using since 2000 and Inkscape which I now have 10 months of experience with. I can also do some writing and I have a wild imagination.

C-Chan

Ahhh!  Aurora-hime, I was wondering where you were!  ^.^
Sorry, no Panel 4 yet, but inspiration on this thing struck me like lightning and wanted to get it off the ground.  ^___^'

Fortunately, FOSA isn't something that will take away too much time away from my daily drawing, so you can be sure I won't forget to complete Panel 4.  ^.^

In any event, looks like you've read through the guidlines...

http://ostan-collections.net/post-43393.html#43393

So feel free to jump right ahead with the Source Art.... ^v^

http://ostan-collections.net/post-43411.html#43411

Don't forget,... you can't spend more than one hour on your contribution!  ^.^

Speaking of which, regarding my next contribution....

I want to fix the walls and ceilings, since they're not entirely symmetrical.  I might also add some preliminary lighting to the walls, floors and ceilings.  It's meant to be a kitchen with a lot of natural lighting.  ^___^

Kiso

I call dibs on symmetrical patching... also call dibs on setting angle fixes!

I notes some things go against horizon and vanishing point.

Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

C-Chan

Phenomenal work, Kissu-san.  ^___^
You see, you saved a load off my shoulders.  Plus that was a very smart to thing to fix now rather than later when all the extra stuff would make angle correction a bit of a hassle.  

Now I can focus on primitive lighting, in addition to some background scaping.

Plus I just thought of an idea for our first prop/easter egg -- an OSC-inspired breakfast cereal in fact.  I'll sketch it before I forget the details.  -v-

NejinOniwa

Hell...SVG downloading is a pain in the @ss.
What I had to do was:

Open page
Save page (as xml)
Edit xml: remove first line, the one that looks like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
Manually change file extension to .svg
Open in Inkscape

Bloody GUH. Pain. -_-

Anywayssu. For some reason I downloaded the first SVG, so I had to download Kissu's version and implement my stuff onto it. Good thing Inkscape is what it is - this is the first time I've seen how easy it is to work with like that. Hoo-raah!
So anyways, here's my humble patch to the works. Had a little to do so I just added in detail on the stove. Anyway, good work Kissu-san and Sempai, and hope to catch up on everyone else!

C-Chan

Excellent work, Nejin-san!  See? Told you Inkscape was easy.  ^v^
And plus I'm glad you guys are keeping within the time limit -- that's helping the project move along at the pace I'd like it to be.

Course, if you guys are getting the inspirational "itch" to add more detail, feel free to insert another hour-session later in the day.  

Oh and given that you combined your changes with Kissu-san's latest version, that would make you our first Compiler, so congrats Nejin-san!!  Otherwise, it's okay to make your patch prior to the changes, and simply have someone else combine it -- may have no choice but to do that, in case the day comes where we have lots of people pitching in.  ^___^

As far as downloading an SVG file, I only had to remove the .xml file extension from the "fosakitchen_patch2.svg.xml" name.  Didn't think we needed extra steps.  '__';

Kiso

I don't need extra steps. If anyone has Firefox, just:

--|Click to View SVG file.

--|Right click and select "Save Page As" and it will automatically set the file extension as ".svg".

--|From there all you need to do is look for a place where you want to save the file in and done we are with download.

- - - - - - - - - -

I are going to get myself into making something myself... but still I haven't decided on what so... maybe get the cabinets done. Yes... I am going take on another thing today, still don't feel strained... much less drained. All's too damn easy when you do it in groups... I mean, things like these.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

NejinOniwa

Odd. My fox couldn't save it as anything else than an XML, and it didn't work to just change the extension. Oh well - each to his own, i guess.

Now, I'm off for some Capoeira, so I'll be done for the night here.

C-Chan

FYI, I'm on Firefox version 2.0.0.11, Windows version (yep, I'm at work right now).

And Capoeira?  O__o
Oh well, guess I'll find out in YOUR morning.  ^^'

QuoteI are going to get myself into making something myself... but still I haven't decided on what so... maybe get the cabinets done. Yes... I am going take on another thing today, still don't feel strained... much less drained. All's too damn easy when you do it in groups... I mean, things like these.

Pretty easy going now, huh?  ^__^

Well it is a Pilot Run, after all, and a poorly-advertised one at that.  I'm guessing the greatest challenge will be when you start having 10 or 20 other people to cooperate with.  ^^

Even so, it definitely gives you time to sit back and think of something unconventional....

I haven't drawn architectural designs in a LONG time, so in a way this is new for me too.  ^___^

I'm leaning more towards an IKEA look myself, but as I still have to review some reference material, that's why I want to distract myself drawing props I'm already inspired for.

Such as that box o' cereal I have in mind.  ^v^

Added after 2 hours 8 minutes:

Okay, got what I said I'd do done.  ^__^

List of changes:

- Added primitive shading to walls, ceilings and floor.
- Separated Floor into it's own layer, only because I want the floor to have many special effects later on (e.g., tiles, reflections, etc)
- Added "Outside" layer if we feel we want to embellish the outdoors a little.
- Added sky w/clouds -- a bit irrelevant given we want see them in the actual pic, but figured they'd be great as a frame of reference.

No blurring was applied now to save on processor space (plenty of time for that later), but did make use of Pattern Fills.  

Later on I'll do my cereal box.  ^.^

NejinOniwa

Using Fox 2.0.0.11 Win EN/US myself as well - and even tried it with Fox 3-b2, with no other result. But it seems like i was just making things complicated - just tried to save it all as a .svg, and it worked out instantly. Stupid me ^-^;

Anyway, excellent work with the Outdoors layer, CC - even if Firefox's preview doesn't show much of it. Tomorrow I'll see what I can do, depending on what's needed - I don't think I'll be shading much though, since I don't trust in my abilities there at all.

Also, somewhat scary to see that all the posts the last like what, 6 hours or so, have been in this thread. Stealing away everyone from the other stuff, now are we ^-^;

Anyway, goodnight! And FYI, Capoeira is quite enjoyable, even after just 3 training sessions. :P