Bad Feeling About Firefox...

Started by NewYinzer, August 03, 2006, 06:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYinzer

I woke up one day and thought to myself about the proliferation of Firefox. It worries me that so many people are using Firefox that hackers might get wiser and figure out a way to circumvent security. After all, most hackers target IE because almost every user uses it. Several million people use Firefox now, so this theory is entirely possible.

C-Chan

I'm reminded of the monoculture analogy....  The bigger and more uniform a crop field is, the greater the likelihood for disease, plight or infestation, and the more devastating the outbreak becomes.  You could spray all the herbicides, pesiticdes, fungicides and fertilizer you want, but sooner or later the defenses will give and your entire field will be ravaged.  That's why it's better to stick with polycultures and IPM.  

Statistically-speaking, you WILL get more security exploitation as the user base grows, in the same way that Mac and Linux virus writers grow as THEIR user base expands.  That's an unavoidable risk, but aggravated more so by three things:

1)  International laws against malicious code writers are disproportionately lax compared to the billions of USD dollars in damages that they incur.

2)  Too many computer users don't care for or don't have the time to engage in any sort of self-preparedness, and depend on others to handle safety issues.

3)  Given the above, the situation offers more personal incentives than deterrents to malicious code writers, plus more financial incentives for profit-driven security firms NOT to stamp them out of existence, plus political incentives to proponents of Internet regulation.  

That being said, regardless of whether you fork over dough or not, when it comes to this issue you really are being asked to take a leap of faith.  Obscurity is a form of protection, but neither Opera nor Konqueror are full-proof either.  '__'

Now for some words of encouragement.

- Firefox is still, as of this writing, an open-source browser; so while hundreds of hackers have access to the inner workings of the browser, so do MILLIONS of devoted users who [hypothetically] will know what they're looking at.  In essence, thanks to this transparency, the entire browser community can potentially police itself and assist in plugging any security flaws that arise.  It's no wonder that Firefox releases security updates continuously.

- A sizable portion of malicious-sofware writers are ideological in their approach and should have less incentive to target a "free" communal browser than closed-source one belonging to the 3v1l Micro$oft empire.  This helps weed out the idealists from the (probably more numerous) lowlifes and market trolls, the ones who really SHOULD be in jail.

- Unlike IE, Firefox is not integrated into your OS.  IE is not only targeted because of its popularity, but also because its a potential gateway into your system.  That fact that Firefox has trouble with ActiveX content is actually a GOOD thing as far as security is concerned.

And that's all I can say about that.  ^__^
Remember responsiblity for your own well-being lies ultimately in YOU, so its reliant upon yourself to learn as much as you can about network security.  

And if you're not comfortable using Firefox even so, not to worry.  Diversity is the spice of life, after all, and it would be admirable if you gave other smaller browsers a chance to make their market niche.  ^__^

Or go the extra mile and build your own.... ^__~

Darknight_88

Quote from: "C-Chan"
- Firefox is still, as of this writing, an open-source browser; so while hundreds of hackers have access to the inner workings of the browser, so do MILLIONS of devoted users who [hypothetically] will know what they're looking at.  In essence, thanks to this transparency, the entire browser community can potentially police itself and assist in plugging any security flaws that arise.  It's no wonder that Firefox releases security updates continuously.

- A sizable portion of malicious-sofware writers are ideological in their approach and should have less incentive to target a "free" communal browser than closed-source one belonging to the 3v1l Micro$oft empire.  This helps weed out the idealists from the (probably more numerous) lowlifes and market trolls, the ones who really SHOULD be in jail.

- Unlike IE, Firefox is not integrated into your OS.  IE is not only targeted because of its popularity, but also because its a potential gateway into your system.  That fact that Firefox has trouble with ActiveX content is actually a GOOD thing as far as security is concerned.

well, I think I don't have anything to say, as C-chan already posted everything I was thinking of .-.

C-Chan

Quotewell, I think I don't have anything to say, as C-chan already posted everything I was thinking of .-.

kewl!  I finally nailed something tech-related for once in my life.  ^__^
Must've been the farming analogy.... -v-

NewYinzer

Let's wait a few years and see what happens to Firefox. Even though I am an avid Firefox user, I have my doubts. But not as many as I have about IE!

C-Chan

In a few years, who knows if we'll still have the same Internet.  Ã,¬__Ã,¬'

But oh well, that's fine d00d!  ^__^

Just let us know which browser you'll be using in the interim so that we can make sure there's an app-tan for it.  I know at least there's an Opera-tan, a Safari-tan and a Netscape-tan out there, for example....  'v'

NewYinzer

QuoteIn a few years, who knows if we'll still have the same Internet. Ã,¬__Ã,¬'

If the ISP's have their way, the internet will be so restricted, this website will be dead within a month.

http://www.savetheinternet.com/

C-Chan

Amen to that, Brother NewYinzer....  -v-

Let's Fight for the Protection of Prosperity That Worked!!!  ^0^
(Not the crap they're trying to shovel on us now.  ^__^)

NewYinzer

Now that that's over...OH GOD! Too many posts! Must cool down for a few minutes or my computer's gonna give out!

C-Chan

Yeah, I'm like one post shy of swooning again.  ^___^

Oh wait a sec....

Aw crap...........  X__X

*swoons*

NewYinzer

Quote*swoons*
C-Chan!

Wow. This was a rather uneventful way to make my 100th post. Take that, rdhdtwns! I will now surpass Agelu! Not to sound evil or cold or anything, but I like to keep track of things.

C-Chan

*sniff* Poor rdhdtwns....  x___x

*reswoons*

NewYinzer

Quote*sniff* Poor rdhdtwns.... x___x

*reswoons*

Here we go again! Now...what were we saying about Firefox? I forget, and I started the topic!

C-Chan

You said you were going to use Opera-tan....  ^__^

*reswoons*

NewYinzer

QuoteYou said you were going to use Opera-tan.... ^__^

*reswoons*

Really?
*swoons*