Amiga-tan

Started by C-Chan, June 25, 2006, 10:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitkin

Quote from: "C-Chan"Thank you very much Alfamille!  ^v^
I wanted to upload her into the gallery, if not for two obstacles:

1) Too modest to do so.  -.-'

But since you suggested it I'll take that as an "endorsement", so that reason's out the door!  ^.^

But still there's....

2) Not sure how to upload her.  ^__^'

Not technically,.... Just not sure if she should go under "Fanart" or "Other".  I'd prefer "Other", but still.....

You'll just upload to the Other then. ;) I'll approve it without doubt.

QuoteAnyway, was this how it looked like, kind of...?

The keyboard and mouse look exactly like mine did, but the additional diskette drive (I suppose it's additional, as the primary floppy drive was found on the right side of the keyboard/main thingy) looks more errr... heavy and bulky compared to mine. The one I had was flatter, that is. Monitor I cannot remember anything about, but somehow that looks a bit bulky as well; it might be the PC times I'm connecting to the Amiga I had, though, so perhaps the monitor was precisely the one in the picture. ^^;

The two funniest things about Workbench I found back in time were the mouse pointer editor (it might've been able to edit other visual aspects as well as I didn't really speak/read English back then and understood nothing of it) and the cool programme which spoke out all the letters and numbers one typed into it. It was quite convincing back then, even though its way of pronouncing Finnish names gave me a few good laughs. :D

Alfamille

LOL!

I believe I saw once those AmigaOS when I was young....but I guess I never got the chance to use them as far as I remember

QuoteActually, I remember the same problem with the Atari computer I mentioned. Guess it was an 80's thing.... Ah memories.... -v-'

I once use an Atari (i guess it's during the 4th grade)...I think mine is the STE.

Pitkin, remember those old joypads? I use to remember playing like Carrier Command...

and dont forget that crappy Ninja Warriors...

and those other programs I remember was WordWriter ST, Cyber Paint, etc....

Pitkin

QuoteQuote from : Alfamille

Pitkin, remember those old joypads? I use to remember playing like Carrier Command...

I must say I never used a joypad myself; the only controllers I used before PC were the joysticks (both C64 and Amiga; Tac-2 was the best I knew) and the Amiga mouse. The first game I played with a keyboard was maybe Duke Nukem 1 or Commander Keen 1 on PC, maybe 10 years ago. :D

edit: Had to include the Guru Meditation from your post, Alfamille-san. :D :D

C-Chan

Quote from: "Pitkin"You'll just upload to the Other then. ;) I'll approve it without doubt.

Thank you very much, Pitkin!  ^___^
I just uploaded her,... I leave the rest to your capable hands!  ^.^

Quote from: "Pitkin"The keyboard and mouse look exactly like mine did, but the additional diskette drive (I suppose it's additional, as the primary floppy drive was found on the right side of the keyboard/main thingy) looks more errr... heavy and bulky compared to mine. The one I had was flatter, that is. Monitor I cannot remember anything about, but somehow that looks a bit bulky as well; it might be the PC times I'm connecting to the Amiga I had, though, so perhaps the monitor was precisely the one in the picture. ^^;

Here's a cleaner pic, but yeah I'm sure that's a secondary floppy drive (amazing that at one time keyboards themselves were the computer,... though then again the same can be said about laptops! ^^')

Quote from: "Pitkin"The two funniest things about Workbench I found back in time were the mouse pointer editor (it might've been able to edit other visual aspects as well as I didn't really speak/read English back then and understood nothing of it) and the cool programme which spoke out all the letters and numbers one typed into it. It was quite convincing back then, even though its way of pronouncing Finnish names gave me a few good laughs. :D

Haha!  Mouse pointer editor?!  I guess it was right to make her an artist!  ^.^'
A little info on the Speech Synthesis program, btw:

QuoteWiki Blurb:

"The original Amiga was launched with speech synthesis software, developed by Softvoice, Inc. [4] This could be broken into three main components: narrator.device, which could play and modulate all phonemes used in American English, translator.library, which could translate english text to American English phonemes, and the SPEAK: handler, which command-line users could redirect output to, to have it spoken.

In the original 1.x releases, a Say program demo included with AmigaBASIC programming examples. For 2.0, Say became a standard utility program which did not need AmigaBASIC.

The speech synthesiser was occasionally used in third-party programs, often educational software. The word processor Prowrite could read out documents using the synthesiser.

Despite the limitation on the narrator.device's phonemes, Francesco Devitt wrote a new version of translator.library which could translate any language to phonemes, given it had a set of rules for that language, and thus provided multilingual speech synthesis. [5]"

Too late for the 'new' version, eh?  ^.^'

C-Chan added the following  21 minutes after last message :

Quote from: "Alfamille"I once use an Atari (i guess it's during the 4th grade)...I think mine is the STE.

and dont forget that crappy Ninja Warriors...

and those other programs I remember was WordWriter ST, Cyber Paint, etc....

First off, you, my good friend, ALSO rock beyond imagining!  ^.^
I've just gotta contribute to the wave....

Woohoo!!!  ^o^

Secondly, I just double-checked a little family history and turns out that the crappy Atari computer we had was, in fact, an 8-BIT 65XE!!!  No wonder it was a piece of junk, albeit nostalgic at this point.....  Ã,¬_Ã,¬

It was one of Atari's last 8-bit computers before it through it's full support to YOUR ST series (which btw was a bit more successful due to its price and decent graphics relative to Macs and Amigas).  That would explain why native software and games for our 65XE was so pitiful (poor support), and why my bro had to,...... "borrow",........ a lot fo the C64 games.  I do remember ONE native Atari 8-bit game -- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Death Star Battle -- that came in a game cartridge attacheable to the back of the keyboard.  Probably a joke now, but oh the memories....  ^__^

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-8-bit/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-death-star-battle

Naturally, it was nothing compared to the timeless classics of "Conan: Hall of Volta", "Bruce Lee", "New York City" (ancestor of GTA!) and "The Return of Heracles".  
The memories just keep flooding in!  ^.^

That does it, you've convinced me,....
I'm going to have to put Atari TOS-tan (and Atari DOS-tan, in the case of the 8-bit machines) on the list of prospective new OS-tans!  ^v^

Alfamille

QuoteThat does it, you've convinced me,....
I'm going to have to put Atari TOS-tan (and Atari DOS-tan, in the case of the 8-bit machines) on the list of prospective new OS-tans! ^v^

That's the spirit! (contributors like you are really needed in this forum ^_^ )

C-Chan

Quote from: "Alfamille"That's the spirit! (contributors like you are really needed in this forum ^_^ )

Thanks Alfamille!  ^_'

PalmOS-tan is nearly done, but unlike Amiga-tan's image she's not alone so the image itself won't get done any time soon.  In my third image, however, I think I figured out how to squeeze in an Atari DOS-tan cameo.   ^.^
After some extensive (and shocking! @.@) research on OS history, ideas for designs of old, rare or exotic OS-tans came pouring in.  Even have one for that elusive Commodore [C64]-tan!  ^-^

Oh, btw, thank you for the Gallery update Pitkin!  ^___^
I'm still indebted to you.

CaptBrenden

hummm ive gone looking yet I did not find an easter egg.  maybe its something a amiga user would have to notice.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Yay!  Thanks for visiting Amiga-tan, Captain!  ^-^

Yes, for the most part they're things Amiga users would notice.  But when I get the chance later today (spent too much free time on Spectrum-tan, it seems), I'll detail them for ya.  ^v'

C-Chan added the following  8 hours 56 minutes after last message :

Might as well post a full-sized Chibi Amiga-tan as well if I did it for Spectrum-tan.  Still owe you an easter egg explanation, plus an official bio.  ^__^

<<<NOTE: PICTURE MOVED TO ANNEX>>>>

C-Chan

Wow, it feels strange taking a week-off from drawing.  XvX
My hand still instinctively reaches toward the tablet pen every minute or so....

Anyway, time for a brief analysis of our wonderful new "amiga",... um, Amiga....   ^__^

1)  Her beret contains the old checkmark logo, which was her official logo while under the employ of Commodore (1985-1994)

2)  Her ponytail is held by a ribbon siphoned out into a red square shape, a subtle reference to the red square on the newer Amiga wordmark logo.  

3)  Her eye color is in fact "rainbow", another reference to the checkmark but also to the HUGE prevalance of "rainbow" system logos back in the 80's (e.g., Atari, Apple, ZX Spectrum etc.).  

4)  The checkered shirt is of course a reference to both the famous 1984 Boing Ball demo and of the current Amiga logo.  When Amiga-tan succeeds in making her comeback, and finally dethrones Microsoft and Apple,... *snicker*... remember The Checkered Ball:

5) The 1950's-style blouse monogram displays the Stylized A, another pseudo-logo that appeared in the early years alongside the rainbow checkmark.

6)  The rainbow paint on the palette mirrors the layout of the original Rainbow Watermark, which appeared a lot on early manuals and disks.  Note the smudging due to her elbow.  ^^'

7)  The 3.5 Floppy in her tote is the Kickstart Boot Disk, which was necessary to boot older versions of the system (before boot files were embedded within the computer itself, like in modern PCs).  

8 )  The Amiga CD 32 belongs to Commodore's attempt at a 32bit video game console.  It was basically a stripped-down Amiga computer that could be hooked up easily to a TV, but at least it was officially the world's first true 32-bit system (take THAT, Sony!).  Obviously didn't do too well, but people still love the games (and so does Amiga-tan, of course).  ^__^

9)  She has a pair of Copic Markers on her tote as well (red and black), which is a respectful nod to REAL artists who use REAL tools to draw in the REAL Japanese Anime and Manga style.  By comparison, I cheat mercilessly.  ^^;

10)  If the clothing doesn't look old-fashioned enough, the saddle shoes are a dead-giveaway... ^___^;

11)  I expect everyone here to love Anime enough to understand basic Kana and Kanji (or at least employ Firefox-ko's FoxLingo ability... ^__^).  But just in case, the Japanese blurb to the side reads simply "Yoroshiku Onegaishmasu".  Familar, isn't it?  ^v^
Even though it's commonly translated as "Pleased to  meet you", it really has no set translation, or rather the meaning changes a lot depending on context.  While "pleased to meet you" sounds pleasant in this circumstance (and you're of course free to interpret the pic in any which way you want), my aim was for something along the lines of a humble and heartfelt "Please remember me".  

12)  The weird black phrase at the bottom is actually my home-brewed "bastardized" version of the Amiga wordmark in Katakana.  Instead of the Red Square dotting the "i", we have the Red Tick capping the "Mi".  

And that's about all I can say about Amiga-san.  ^.^

Got a little carried away on the length, though, so the bio still needs to be postponed....  ^^;

Alfamille

QuoteQuote from : C-Chan

8 )  The Amiga CD 32 belongs to Commodore's attempt at a 32bit video game console.  It was basically a stripped-down Amiga computer that could be hooked up easily to a TV, but at least it was officially the world's first true 32-bit system (take THAT, Sony!).  Obviously didn't do too well, but people still love the games (and so does Amiga-tan, of course).  ^__^

LOL! Amiga Incoporated should bring back it's power and dump Sony into it.

But I guess maketing strategies of other any company always beats the better one ...

CaptBrenden

I heard something like that for CE, about her and DreamCast.  There are a couple pictures around of her and 2k kun talking and a a picture of the dreamcast in the speach bubble.  its in japanese so Im not sure exactly whats being said... wiki visit needed.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"I heard something like that for CE, about her and DreamCast. There are a couple pictures around of her and 2k kun talking and a a picture of the dreamcast in the speach bubble. its in japanese so Im not sure exactly whats being said... wiki visit needed.

Oh yeah, the little bug was used to operate the Dreamcast.  Windows CE isn't so much a dedicated PDA OS like Palm-tan, but simply a stripped-down version of windows for low-resource devices.  Hence, Pocket PCs and hastily-built 128-bit game consoles.  -v-'

Quote from: "Alfamille"LOL! Amiga Incoporated should bring back it's power and dump Sony into it.

But I guess maketing strategies of other any company always beats the better one ...

Great, now you're making me hate Sony more!  \_/
FIRST, they're ripping off their customers.

THEN, they'd hypothetically prevent a new generation of AmigaCD consoles from taking off!  BASTARDS!!!
[passionately]  Amiga games were built from the heart....!  *sniff*  Ã,¯-Ã,¯

That does it!  Enough marketing crap!  Whatever money I could've used to buy a PS3 is going to a brand new AmigaOne!  ^0^

[uplifting]  AmigaOS WILL RISE LIKE THE PHOENIX AND THRIVE ONCE MORE!!! ^v^

Or at least I'll be able to learn how Debian-tan works, since she usually accompanies all modern Amiga machines.  Guess they're "special" friends....  ^.^

NewYinzer

Quote[uplifting] AmigaOS WILL RISE LIKE THE PHOENIX AND THRIVE ONCE MORE!!! ^v^
Okay. All I need are the rights to the OS, 400 million dollars, a team of programmers, marketers, lights, an office, and a huge factory.

C-Chan

Hell, a single ticket to mainland China can cover all of that nowadays. ^v^'

Well,... maybe just to be nice, you can ask these nice people to lend you the OS for further development:

http://os4.hyperion-entertainment.biz/

Oh, and while you're over there, tell them their website sucks.  
Truly unworthy of the sweet and adorable Amiga-chan.  Ã,¯-Ã,¯

C-Chan

Finally got around to writing this.  -__-'
Still need others, though.....

==========

Name: AmigaOS-tan
Nationality: Commodore/Escom/Gateway/Amiga Inc
DOB: 1985
Height: 182 cm
Weight: 73 kg
Eye Color: Prism
Hair: Orange
Blood Type: 4096
Current Affiliation: Binteji Renmei
Relatives:  Commodore PET/VIC-20/64/128 (half-sisters), TripOS (mother), Amix (apprentice [former]), MorphOS (unknown [daughter?]), AROS (daughter [adopted])
Likes: Everyone!! (or just relationships in general), art, vintage games, video recording, voice impersonations, vintage hardware, charity
Dislikes: Meditation of any kind

The cofounder and leader of the Binteji Renmei ("Vintage Federation"), Amiga-tan is best suited to head this non-profit organization dedicated to assisting vintage and abandoned OS-tans.  Standing taller and prouder than any other member -tan, she continuously exudes confidence and dynamism that inspires work to get done and potential to be tapped.  Yet she remains charismatically friendly, selfless in her drive to help others and honest to a fault.  Her exceptional creativity often borders on a tacit genius, be it in her uncanny ability to produce breathtaking drawings (without modern tools) or in her ability to successfully counsel member -tans with troubled pasts (equipped with nothing but a protective maternalism).

Amiga-tan is often trusting to the point of naivity, however.  While she's matured considerably over the years, this used to cost her much contention (almost her life) in her youth.  For this reason, while she does not officially have (or believe in) enemies, there are still OS-tans she would prefer to avoid if possible (such as 95-tan).  Even so, she's never unwilling to engage anyone (or anything) in friendly conversation, regardless of the outcome to her (though perfectly considerate of any risks posed to her friends).

Also, while she clearly "towered" over the competition in the past, this too posed its own set of problems.  Prospective users were quick to ogle at her physical appearance, but were too intimidated to get to know her beyond that.  Users kind enough to accept her, however, were also inconvenienced with the necessity of finding custom-fitting "clothes" for her.  Regardless, she has a small but loyal community that continues to love her and support her modern-day efforts.  She in turn loves them more, almost as much as she does each and every member -- big or small, fast or slow, competent or 'special' -- of the Binteji Renmei.