Amiga-tan

Started by C-Chan, June 25, 2006, 10:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Hello.  I'm new here and very pleased to meet you all.  Sadly I discovered the OS-Tan phenomenon a little too late in the game, but maybe that's not the case?

I'm very interested in drawing OS-Tans in order to help lure me out of an artistic lull, and in fact I'm practicing with one at this time.  But before I can share it, I need to make doubly-triply sure that I'm not ignoring someone else's effort.

Quick question then....

Has anyone ever come across an Amiga-Tan before?

Darknight_88

Hello and welcome C-Chan

No, I dont remember any Amiga-tan. Once I get home I'll look through my archives, so you can be more sure.

But I dont think there's any problem doing it. OS-tans doesnt have something like a canon, aside the main OS'es. So, IMHO, there's no problem if there's another Amiga-tan design.
Any canon in OS-tans depends a lot from people opinion. If a lot of ppl like your design, It'll become canon, and most likely every other artist will follow it.
At least that's my point of view

C-Chan

Quote from: "Darknight_88"Hello and welcome C-Chan

No, I dont remember any Amiga-tan. Once I get home I'll look through my archives, so you can be more sure.

But I dont think there's any problem doing it. OS-tans doesnt have something like a canon, aside the main OS'es. So, IMHO, there's no problem if there's another Amiga-tan design.
Any canon in OS-tans depends a lot from people opinion. If a lot of ppl like your design, It'll become canon, and most likely every other artist will follow it.
At least that's my point of view

Thank ye very mucho, Darknight.  ^_^
I appreciate your help with this search.

I'm trying not to be lazy, and I can assure you I've tried searching high and low for an Amiga-tan prior to drawing her.  But I've only been immersed in the OS-Tan craze for about 3 weeks and I still don't frequent the Japanese boards as much as I should.  Hence, I'm in desperate need of an expert's help...  ^_^'

You're right of course about the canon-rule -- aside from Windows NT and some of the DOSes (is she a cat or a maid or a pigtailed kid or a box or WTFreak?!!) the majority of the artists worldwide have agreed to keep the overall designs consistent.  But in the case of someone like, say [Basic] Linux-tan, not everyone has used the blue-haired girl with penguin armor and spear design, making it a little difficult to establish her design as canon (if anyone wanted to, of course).

I'm not only a sucker for consistency, but I'm also very eager to have more OS-Tans recognized aside from Windows and Macs (no offense to your avatar...). ^o^'
So certainly if I like someone else's design, my first recourse would be to follow it in order to help further its emergence as a new canon OS-Tan.  (And save myself some time... fufufu...)  ^.^

But at this point I guess I'm too far in the process to release anything other than an original Amiga-Tan drawing.  While researching the OS, it turns out that Amiga in fact has a very rich history, and (most surprisingly) is far from dead yet!  That's why I feel it deserves it's own OS-Tan.  

All that's left is some shading in arms/legs/lower body and highlights.  Since I'm trying (and failing...  *weep*) real hard to abide by a s'hedule, I hope to be able to share her with everyone by Wednesday.  ^_^

Darknight_88

After an extensive search through my archives, there's no Amiga-tan...yet. So you're free to go. I remember seeing an OS-tan (mascot, whatever...) for other "exotic" OS'es, but I didn't saved the pics =/ (I can't remember the names accurately, but I'm sure there was no Amiga, though someone mentioned that there wasn't any)

You shouldn't abide by a schedule (unless you're working, lol). Sometimes you may want to drop a work, take a rest, get new ideas, and then restart it with fresh ideas.

C-Chan

Thank you Darknight, I'm indebted to you. ^__^
I believe I know what you're talking -- on some other message board, I recall reading someone mention that there was no -tans for Amiga, Commodore and I think something called Spectrum(sp?).  I think it's old, though, so my pic is probably too little too late for that poor fellow.  ^-^'

Sorry, do in fact work,... a lot.  ^__^'
But I'm actually rather good about keeping work-related activities out of home and leisure time.  Regardless, I'm always busy with other projects; once I'm done with Amiga-tan, I'll need to get some carpentry done and a little numismatic work before I can work on my next -tan.  And I'm horrible at multi-tasking, so more often than not I find doing simultaneous projects a bit impractical.  How simple-minded of me.  -___-'

I'm very excited about tonight, though; hair-highlights and a text blurb are all that's needed, so I will be able to meet the de facto "deadline".  ^__^
Even though I won't be able to afford any extensive post-work, I think it'll look presentable at least.

C-Chan added the following  12 hours 38 minutes after last message :

Test...

C-Chan added the following  14 minutes after last message :

Looks like I have to continue from the previous thread only,...
Oh well, let's get right to it then....

*exhale*

Good luck,... my dear Amiga-tan.....  ^___^

<<<<NOTE: PICTURE MOVED TO ANNEX>>>>

Darknight_88

I agree with you, multi-tasking its usually hard =/
11:26pm...you're still at time for meeting the deadline XD

edit: lol, I was replying to this when you uploaded the pic.
Awesome color work. Love the details in the bag  :D .
Her right arm seems a bit off, and torso could be thinner; would be a good idea to correct that. But anyway, its good, really good.
Thumbs up  ;010
I like it

C-Chan

*sigh* For once in my life I completed something on time and only mildly over-budgeted.  Here's to cheap mass-produced Anime techniques.  ^__^'

Just to quickly cover some outstanding areas of contention...

1) The 256KB file limit really killed some lines, but it looks alright I guess (Amiga users may just barely decipher the word "Kickstart" in there somewhere).

2) I just noticed not but 2 minutes ago that her beret is accidentally similar to Opera-tan's.  It was originally red when I first started but changed it for obvious reasons; may have to change it yet again if this is an issue.

3) Hopelessly-outdated clothing is intentional.  ^__^'

4) If any part of her seems a little too long for some tastes, I may just cheat and say she's just tall.  ^______^

5) Though she's running somewhere, I admit the pose is a little precarious.  Her athletic skills are slightly above average and she's not technically a klutz, but feel free to imagine her falling on her face in the next frame.  (Just don't forget to shame yourself for it.)  ^v^

6) There's a risk I might have overshaded some parts.  -___-'

7) Sorry 'bout the checkered shirt (and your watery eyes), but unfortunately it has to be on her.  In fact, nearly every Amiga logo since the 80's is mixed in there somewhere....

8! ...And if not, just imagine it's in the bag.  Though it's not obvious in this picture, her bag mysteriously fits a lot more than it looks.  (e.g., vintage hardware)

9) Can't decide whether that should be her natural eye color (*cough cough* freak *cough*) or just contacts.  She's an artist, after all.

10) People who REALLY know Japanese will either admire the double meaning of the text or laugh there face off at the attempt.  ^___^'

C-Chan added the following  4 minutes after last message :

Quote from: "Darknight_88"I agree with you, multi-tasking its usually hard =/
11:26pm...you're still at time for meeting the deadline XD

edit: lol, I was replying to this when you uploaded the pic.
Awesome color work. Love the details in the bag  :D .
Her right arm seems a bit off, and torso could be thinner; would be a good idea to correct that. But anyway, its good, really good.
Thumbs up  ;010
I like it

Oooh sorry, I too just noticed your post before writing that whole thing.
Hope you don't mind if I reply tomorrow, else I collapse from sleep deprivation.

Thank you very much, though.  ^_^

Darknight_88

yah, sure, in fact, I'm also falling asleep...12:00am...at least I dont have to wake up early tomorrow _O_
HINT: for the 256kb limit: Use photobucket (or any other image hosting), it allows larger image size. (and can be seen by non forum users ;)  )

C-Chan

Hi there!

Darn, you're right, I should use some sort of online photo viewer!  O_o
I've been a registered member for so long... *snicker* *chortle* ...that I forgot how could and lonely everything looks as an unregistered user.

'Kay, I'll try to sign up later at home (where I can actually view the sign-up code; must be a cookie problem here at work).  Wish I could still use my old website, since I'm not fond of creating accounts left and right.......  /_\'

Funny you should mention the right arm, as a friend of mine probably mentioned the same thing you spotted (shoulder line looks interrupted).  It's actually my fault for choosing such a difficult pose -- all the twists and turns, originally designed to give her a dynamic look, probably added a few additional hours of needless production time, aside from creating a few perceptual anomalies.  I actually didn't mind the right arm so much as her left foot.  Although both the twist in her right shoulder and left foot make sense in the original Poser model (the right arm, still in mid-running swing, flashes a quick peace sign, while the left foot quickly twists sideways to brace for the sudden jerk of the body towards the camera), enough dimension was lost in the translation to cel-shading to make both look a little off.  For safe measure, I practiced on a living, breathing friend and had her successfully imitate the posture, but not without validating how really precarious it is (especially if you're not fast).

Sadly, I promised myself I would keep to my deadline, and that if anything went wrong I would have to suck it up and face the consequences of half-assed work.  Fortunately, my next -tan will have a simple pose.  ^__^

For the torso, I probably have 3 explanations:

1 - Her upper body is twisting towards the camera, so the angle is playing tricks again.
2 - Probably the most important, that particular style of 1950's American rolled-up dress shirt is on the baggy side, so it perceivably bloats up her chest and hip a little.  Factor in the running and it's practically ballooning behind her, with her left arm and art tote too much in the way to really show some more folds and the start of her belt.
3 - I'm not a fan of thin and I abhor anorexic, so I'm afraid I was probably too biased to really notice this as an issue.  

Oh well, live and learn and stuff, and plus I already received my very first thumbs up,... Sugoi x 1.e+43!!!!  ^_____^

Now to figure out how to mass-produce the same style for other -tans....  Ã,¯vÃ,¯

Pitkin

Woo, Amiga red-white checkered colouring! So nostalgic, that's definitely Amiga-tan for you!

Magnificent girl she is; awesome work. I'm being so not-constructive, but anyway. ^__^

SleepyD

hah, yeah, dynamic poses are hard to do.  I still end up thinking up a lot of poses, but eventually end up with something... less dynamic, like a standing person. XD;  

...you actually have someone to pose for you?  I want someone to pose for me. hah

Ok, anyway:
I agree with what was said about her right shoulder.  It's way too low and looks cut off/interrupted.  I don't know if it's angles or not but I think her left shoulder is too close to the neck too.  

...Actually, I think, if you fix the right shoulder, the torso would look normal.   My opinion is that her pelvis may be too small. The way the belt is drawn leads the viewer to believe that the pelvis is at a 3/4-ish angle, but it's shown from the side... hm... Looking at it some more, I think a twisting body like that would turn the pelvis just a bit.

As far as shading goes, I really don't think it was overboard. It's pretty good actually.  Nice contrast.  

And I'm loving the deisgn too! ^^

C-Chan

Quote from: "Pitkin"Woo, Amiga red-white checkered colouring! So nostalgic, that's definitely Amiga-tan for you!

Magnificent girl she is; awesome work. I'm being so not-constructive, but anyway. ^__^

Hi Pitkin!  No no, by all means please say whatever you'd like.
Comments may be useful, but so is exposure (especially for a new -tan).  ^__^

I just heard "nostalgic" -- by any chance, does that mean you once used or owned an Amiga computer, an Amiga CD 32 or even a machine with AmigaOS installed?  If so, then maybe you can help me out.  'v'

I barely knew the name "Amiga" three weeks ago, and despite my research since then I still know very little about it.  Someone with the luxury of experience might not only be able to "fact-check" Amiga-tan for me, but also suggest some viable in-jokes that I could use at a later date (or at least to flesh out her proposed personality, stats, quirks and so on).  ^___^

C-Chan added the following  16 minutes after last message :

Quote from: "SleepyD"hah, yeah, dynamic poses are hard to do.  I still end up thinking up a lot of poses, but eventually end up with something... less dynamic, like a standing person. XD;  

...you actually have someone to pose for you?  I want someone to pose for me. hah

Ok, anyway:
I agree with what was said about her right shoulder.  It's way too low and looks cut off/interrupted.  I don't know if it's angles or not but I think her left shoulder is too close to the neck too.  

...Actually, I think, if you fix the right shoulder, the torso would look normal.   My opinion is that her pelvis may be too small. The way the belt is drawn leads the viewer to believe that the pelvis is at a 3/4-ish angle, but it's shown from the side... hm... Looking at it some more, I think a twisting body like that would turn the pelvis just a bit.

As far as shading goes, I really don't think it was overboard. It's pretty good actually.  Nice contrast.  

And I'm loving the deisgn too! ^^

Thank you, SleepyD.  ^_^
You've probably guessed by now from my blurb in your 2k-tan topic that I used Inkscape for a large part of her drawing.  Only I DIDN'T save very often at first and forgot to save often subsequently thereafter.  Result: aside from some yanked hair, needless overtime hours spent reproducing lost work (now that I think about it,... INCLUDING THE SHOULDER!!  GAH!!!  >0<).  I'm tempted to draw the next OS-tans in my SUSE linux machine if it turns out to be less catastrophic (just hope that GIMP really is as good as Photoshop as they say it is).  ^____^

Hmmm....  I've already had 3 people mention the shoulder thing and I've already indentured myself to one of them AND it's raining cats and dogs here, so half my carpentry project has to be postponed till the torrent is over.  So maybe tis the sign of the gods?  '_'

I guess I am catching on to the drift; I mean, I have the poser model as reference and know why the shoulder looks the way it does.  But like telling a bad joke, if I have to explain it after I say it, it's probably not a very good one.  -_-'

Then again, I really don't want to resurrect any of my old bad habits....

Hmmm.....

What to do....  Oh the dilemma.....

C-Chan added the following  8 minutes after last message :

Ah, what the hay!  I'll see what I can come up with very quickly!  ^___^

I kind of drew her kamikaze-style (not really intending to go back); but while  the fix may be a little convoluted, it probably won't be as difficult considering it's in the outlying part of her body.  There might even be a chance to do this before submitting the whole Photobucket thing.

Just the shoulder, though.  It's only fair that half-assed attempts remain half-assed.

Still shocked that no one's flamed my choice of fashion yet.  @_@

C-Chan added the following  1 minute after last message :

AND WHAT THE HECK IS THAT FLOATING THING?!!  IT'S LIKE SERIOUSLY CREEPING ME OUT......  @____@'

C-Chan added the following  1 hour 44 minutes after last message :

Wow, even Photoshop decided to crash on me.  X_x
Now I'm starting to suspect that the problem is due to my tablet,... better check it out later.  At least it gave me the opportunity to save my work somehow, else my quick fix wouldn't have been exactly "quick".  Ã,¬_Ã,¬

'Kay, let's try this again.

Hello Amiga-tan Mark II...!  ^__^

<<<<NOTE: PICTURE MOVED TO ANNEX>>>>

Alfamille

QuoteQuote from : C-Chan

Hello Amiga-tan Mark II...!  ^__^

I remembered seeing an Amiga 3.9 some time ago. It still got the classic Mac interface so to speak.

Anyway....it is so great that you decided to draw one! I believe you better upload it in the gallery ;)

Pitkin

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, C-Chan. ^^;

Yes, I indeed was once a user of Amiga, the old Amiga500 computer to be precise. As I was very young back then, I mostly only played games (only insert the game diskette and it loaded fast), every now and then fiddling with the graphical OS thingy called Workbench.

A few things I remember about my Amiga:

1) The funny 'Guru Meditation' error message; see details in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Meditation <- pretty much equivalent to the blue screen of Windows, but with very funny name. Perhaps, when Amiga-tan crashes, she could simply sink deep into meditation with her legs crossed. ;)

2) Copying stuff from one disk to another was a pain. One had to use a separate copy programme (I used X-Copy), which first read the original diskette and temporarily saved it into the very limited 'hard drive', and then slooowly copied it again to the target diskette. Of course, if one had an additional, secondary floppy drive, one didn't have to wait for the programme to first copy the information to the hard drive but only from one diskette to another. Still took a bloody long while. Amiga loaded things fast and required almost no loading at all in general, but saving was always so and so whether it worked.

3) Amiga had a lot of games ported directly from C64 with improved graphics and faster loading. Being part of the Commodore company, Amiga is practically the younger sibling or even a child of Commodore 64. ;)

4) As very well known, copy protection was a joke. Commodore and Amiga never were able to compete with the hackers, and therefore most of the games distributed were pirated ones (I think).

5) Amiga was superior to PCs and Macs of that time in both graphics and sounds; compared to the dreadful beeping, Amiga's audio effects were from a completely different world. Back in time Amiga was the pearl of the computers, but unfortunately fell due to crap handling of the company on general level (again, I think).

Memories... ^_^

C-Chan

Quote from: "Alfamille"I remembered seeing an Amiga 3.9 some time ago. It still got the classic Mac interface so to speak.

Funny you should mention Macs, since the modern Amigas now use PowerPC hardware (plus a modified Linux kernel).  ^__^

Even though over 21 years have passed, AmigaOS-tan is still a healthy v4.0 and stiCking very firmly to her roots (apparently all classic software -- and games -- still run easily and seamlessly).  ^_-

And she has a very loyal fanbase....

http://www.amigaworld.net/
http://www.intuitionbase.com/index.php
http://www.os4.hyperion-entertainment.com/
http://www.os4depot.net/
http://www.amiga.org/
http://www.amiga.com/

Quote from: "Alfamille"Anyway....it is so great that you decided to draw one! I believe you better upload it in the gallery ;)

Thank you very much Alfamille!  ^v^
I wanted to upload her into the gallery, if not for two obstacles:

1) Too modest to do so.  -.-'

But since you suggested it I'll take that as an "endorsement", so that reason's out the door!  ^.^

But still there's....

2) Not sure how to upload her.  ^__^'

Not technically,.... Just not sure if she should go under "Fanart" or "Other".  I'd prefer "Other", but still.....

C-Chan added the following  19 minutes after last message :

Quote from: "Pitkin"Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, C-Chan. ^^;

No problem, Pitkin!  Thank you for replying back!  I'm indebted to you as well!  ^.^

Quote from: "Pitkin"Yes, I indeed was once a user of Amiga, the old Amiga500 computer to be precise. As I was very young back then, I mostly only played games (only insert the game diskette and it loaded fast), every now and then fiddling with the graphical OS thingy called Workbench.

Pitkin, you rock beyond imagining!!!  ^v^
You even used the old Workbench!!  (Though for her art tote, I chose to add the Kickstart diskette instead....)
Funny, though, that even though your machine was called the '500', it actually came later than the Amiga 1000.  Anyway, was this how it looked like, kind of...?

Too bad my brother invested in the competition at the time (*cough cough* Atari *cough*).

Quote from: "Pitkin"A few things I remember about my Amiga:

1) The funny 'Guru Meditation' error message; see details in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Meditation <- pretty much equivalent to the blue screen of Windows, but with very funny name. Perhaps, when Amiga-tan crashes, she could simply sink deep into meditation with her legs crossed. ;)

That's not only a great idea, but it would tie in nicely with the personality I envision for her.  ^__^
As her name implies, Amiga-tan is very friendly and not fond of scaring away friends with nasty crashes.  Therefore.....  ^___^

Quote from: "Pitkin"2) Copying stuff from one disk to another was a pain. One had to use a separate copy programme (I used X-Copy), which first read the original diskette and temporarily saved it into the very limited 'hard drive', and then slooowly copied it again to the target diskette. Of course, if one had an additional, secondary floppy drive, one didn't have to wait for the programme to first copy the information to the hard drive but only from one diskette to another. Still took a bloody long while. Amiga loaded things fast and required almost no loading at all in general, but saving was always so and so whether it worked.

Actually, I remember the same problem with the Atari computer I mentioned.  Guess it was an 80's thing....  Ah memories.... -v-'

I'm planning to make Amiga-tan a little old-fashioned (hence the clothing), but certainly not as hopelessly ancient as 95-tan.  She at least has a small talent for technical stuff, but not in the cool, advanced, professional sense like with 2K-tan.  Rather, more like a talent to repair and squeeze EVERY LAST BIT of usage out of any old piece of hardware (not unlike how there are still people who can get a 70's Volkswagon Beetle working even to this day!).

I could certaily picture her trying to patch up some efficient (but ugly, lol!) solution to slow saving times.  ^__^

Quote from: "Pitkin"3) Amiga had a lot of games ported directly from C64 with improved graphics and faster loading. Being part of the Commodore company, Amiga is practically the younger sibling or even a child of Commodore 64. ;)

I'd vote for younger sibling, since additional C64 machines were released alongside the Amiga line in the years following.  Surprisingly, though, even though Amiga-tan's design came naturally to me, I've drawn a complete blank with a Commodore/C64-tan.  Perhaps with enough research, I can come up with something.  Or even better, a fine upstart citizen can come up with one for us!  ^___^'

Quote from: "Pitkin"4) As very well known, copy protection was a joke. Commodore and Amiga never were able to compete with the hackers, and therefore most of the games distributed were pirated ones (I think).

Not a big fan of copy protection myself (besides, it was pirated C64 games that saved that Atari computer of ours from an early grave!), and a lot of open source software is being continously developed for the modern AmigaOS.  It'd be a cinch to tie this into Amiga-tan's proposed personality, as she's not only exceoptionally friendly (enough to make Me-tan proud) but also very open and generous as well.

Not to mention easy to be taken advantage of,... poor Amiga-tan.... ;_;

Quote from: "Pitkin"5) Amiga was superior to PCs and Macs of that time in both graphics and sounds; compared to the dreadful beeping, Amiga's audio effects were from a completely different world. Back in time Amiga was the pearl of the computers, but unfortunately fell due to crap handling of the company on general level (again, I think).

Correct.  So I read, Commodore made more than its fair share of stupid mistakes, and certainly screwed up the opportunity to capitalize on the AmigaCD32, the world's first true 32-bit game console (you'll see a reference to it in Amiga-tan's art tote as well!)

But yes, it's exciting to read how far ahead of its time the machine was.  It wasn't the first home coputer to equip it's operating system with an intuitive GUI (that'd go to Macintosh a year earlier in 1984), but it did introduce the first multi-tasking operating system, plus (as you mentioned) a host of advanced display and sound features.  

I'm thinking of making Amiga-tan tall to represent this (say, 181cm).  There are a number of reasons why, but in this case it's a reminder that she once "towered" over the competition of the day.  ^__~

Thank you for all your help, Pitkin!  As you can see, I still want to flesh out a personality for Amiga-tan if there's enough interest for it, and I'll certainly put your input to good use.

It might help if I draw her more, and I do have a few ideas in mind for future projects.  At the moment, though, I'm still trying to release a few more new OS-tans into the wild!  ^v^
(PalmOS-tan will be next!)  ^.^