What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

templar737

i am running a Sony VIAO laptop with Windows XP Home

We have had good times ... bad times ... loving times ... but one day i will save my money and replace you ...

NejinOniwa

With what, something with that horrendous Vista on it? o_o
Too bad it's a lappy, otherwise you could've just upgraded it successively and still keep yo' pervy yaoi-loving OS in place. For the moment i think you'd better stay low and keep the one ya have until glorious Kubuntu lappies for sale! ^-^
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Gummster

Well I hear Dell is already selling 'glorious' unbuntu laptops.

NejinOniwa

I didn't know they sold laptops too...
Oh well then ^^

Gummster

You learn something new everyday huh.

NejinOniwa

C-Chan

What cave have you been living in, Neji-san?  'v'

Oh right,... sorry,... Dell seems to only be limiting these sales to the States for the time being, apart from advertising it in a hole-in-the-wall webpage on their site, so it's really no surprise you haven't heard of it.  ^^'

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Plus other shady things going on with their Linux deal (like being indecisive about tech support and only making the PCs cost $50USD less than Windows machines)....

I'm still suspicious that they're setting up this deal to fail.  The only thing that could save us is if some other known manufacturer sells Linux machines cheaper (and hopefully better built).

Maybe that's why they're so afraid of the emerging Chinese computer manufacturers, as they might have the means to manufacture $200 Linux laptops with more than enough bells and whistles to raise eyebrows.  -v-'

NejinOniwa

I'm not living in a cave! I just thought they were desktop only...

C-Chan

Fufu,... surprisingly, Dell didn't limit Linux to desktops only, although if they did then that would really have been sabotage.  -v-

Also, in case you want a sorta-cheap laptop running preinstalled Linux from a misc. vendor:

http://store.madtux.org/index.php?cPath=57

Cheapest way to do it, though, is to just get any old laptop, and simply refurbish it to run Linux.  ^^

The day someone makes a Flash Linux Laptop for cheap (something like the OLPC laptop, but more modern) is the day the OS will really take off, I bet.  ^__^

Silentbob

My friend bought one of them really expensive Dell XPS desktop replacement laptops some time back.   He paid like the equivalent of $2500 for it, but he hardly ever uses it.   His 2 year old kid likes to play with it, meaning it's pretty beat up now.  :p

Gummster

I feel kinda a sorry for your friend and the computer.

Kami-Tux

Poor computer! I fear it even uses an unfree OS :(

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Gummster

Yes! Sins must be corrected as soon as possible!

Kami-Tux

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Gummster

YEAH! Wait what! Bah, whatever floats your boat