Main Menu

Window Vista

Started by time-time, February 28, 2007, 12:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Well an exceptional case concurrent with the exponentially-growing complexity of code, hardware, software, legal issues and user demographics.  Even though I'm sure development tools have improved with the times, just like with games it probably requires more time, money and labor to develop modern proprietary operating systems that consistently try to innovate over the previous version.  '___'

(Admittedly, this can sort of apply to Leopard and it's unfortunate presumably delay due to that damn phone thingy. -v-)

But if you can get M$ to release its super system on schedule, with all the features you need and crave, that's friendly to all hardware and boot environments, and does not treat you like your own probation, then by all means I encourage you to do so.

Better that you (the customers) force them to put all that money to develop innovative and quality products, rather than to let them waste it pretending like they can sue to pay their bills:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,131806/article.html

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=8837&pagtype=all

Bella

QuoteThe question now is,... what'll you do when Windows Update stops offering security patches, their call centers start thumbing their noses down at you and the stores no longer offer even a hint of XP on their machines (well, that's almost true now). Releasing a very GOOD Vienna might be your salvation, but given how delayed Vista was relative to XP, you're probably looking at maybe a good 5 year wait. -.-
These are questions that many individual users and businesses will have to address, unfortunately sooner rather than later. '__''

They made updates and support for ME and 98 until 2006, so XP should still have support for quite a while...my computer's hardware is going to give out long before 2012/13, I'm afraid :..(

QuoteWell...95--->98, 98---->ME & 2000
So it'd not be the first time a new Microsoft OS is released after 3 years or less. Vista was an exceptional case.

I think XP was actually the exceptional case, lasting 6 years!

Quote2009? When Vista was released in 2007? O__o

I can understand the whole ME/XP example, and I wouldn't certainly discount the possibility that M$ would pull that off again.....

But I feel I'll sprout wings and fly before the day comes they release Vienna in 2009. Maybe the early beta, perhaps,... then we'd talk.... -v-

Fly, C-Chan, fly!

QuoteAbout 2 more months and I will get the chance to buy a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium...

I don't necessarily dislike Vista, I just get enough use out of XP to not want to convert. My checklist:

Boots up in the morning? Check
Stable? Secure? Useful? Check
Relatively pretty interface (though Aero really is beautiful!)? Check
Runs PS, as well as all my other programs? Check

Why would I want any other OS?

C-Chan

QuoteThey made updates and support for ME and 98 until 2006, so XP should still have support for quite a while...my computer's hardware is going to give out long before 2012/13, I'm afraid :..(

Well by then Windows will be open-sourced, so it's a moot point anyway.  -v-

And stop being so defeatist about your laptop, cause all you really have to do is replace the hardware as it dies off.  Ask AmigaBob,... he still has his two darling Miggies puttering away, and they're both well over 20 years old by now.  ^___^

QuoteI don't necessarily dislike Vista, I just get enough use out of XP to not want to convert. My checklist:

I guess to sing to the same tune, one could even opt to "downgrade" to Windows 2000 instead if switching to Vista, since it is presumably more stable and secure, and the age makes it far removed from all that DRM junk.  (And generally speaking, whatever app/game/etc works for XP probably works for 2K.)

All that's left is the issue of Aero, but Aqua might still and Bery definitely does blow it out of the water, so it's not like the bragging rights are worth it.  Not to assume that M$ will pay attention, but if they realize that their customer base prefer their older products, maybe they'll stop trying to reinvent the wheel for the worse.

Like in this article:

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/192

QuoteFly, C-Chan, fly!

You got it!  ^___^

WEEEEE!!!!  ^V^

*flies off*

Darknight_88

Quote from: "Bella"

QuoteAbout 2 more months and I will get the chance to buy a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium...

I don't necessarily dislike Vista, I just get enough use out of XP to not want to convert. My checklist:

I would also stay with XP, But the university requires a laptop (lol, that's one of the requirements, along with good grades and passing the admission exam). I currently own a WinXP home PC, and I'm quite happy with it.

NejinOniwa

Requirement? Pah! I've seen places where you're GIVEN a laptop at your entrance ceremony...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Darknight_88

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Requirement? Pah! I've seen places where you're GIVEN a laptop at your entrance ceremony...
...and the cost of such laptop is added to the admission costs...and that kind of places are usually EXPENSIVE.

NejinOniwa

Why was the one i saw free, then...hmmm....

Tsubashi

I've never heard of a free university, let alone one that hands out free laptops. Could you point me in their direction, eh Nejin-san? I think I might like to attend one of their ceremonies!
-Tsu

Darknight_88

Cause they just blend the laptop's cost with the admission fee, so you never notice it. Or maybe its just part of some kind of financial aid, but in that case it'd only be given to certain students, not everyone.

And if that's not the case, then I second Tsubahi's request :D

QuoteWell by then Windows will be open-sourced, so it's a moot point anyway. -v-
LOL

NejinOniwa

Oh that's right, it was a highschool. My bad.

Now why in the name of hael didn't I apply for that place...?

Added after 37 seconds:

Still though, free lappy ^-^

Tsubashi

Highschool isn't free, at least not in the US. It is a state funded organization, so whomever claimed the recipient as a dependent also payed for the laptop. Unless it's a private school, but then you still have an entrance fee. Drat no free Lappy!

We are, however, drifting dangerously offtopic, so as not to risk being banhammered, I'm going to make an on-topic remark!

QuoteWell...95--->98, 98---->ME & 2000
So it'd not be the first time a new Microsoft OS is released after 3 years or less. Vista was an exceptional case.

Well, lets look at the whole timeline.
-We've got two years between 3.0 and 3.1
-Then three years to Win 95
-Three more to Win 98
-Two to get to ME and 2k, being both the peak and the trough of the Windows OS in the same year!
-it take only one year before XP is released
-Vista (of course) takes five

Bella was right when she said XP was the anomaly. Since ME was a disaster M$ had to shorten it's development cycle to it's shortest yet. What they produced was usable enough to keep people satiated. So, with the crisis controlled, M$ was in no hurry to release another one. Thus they increased devel. time to larger than ever before. What they did with the time, we'll never know, as vista doesn't sport a whole lot of new useful things. Vista is a flop, it's another ME, but for a new reason. I'm fairly confident M$ will make sure to get the next OS out quick, but after words, devel. time is likely to increase again
-Tsu

Darknight_88

Quote from: "Bella"I think XP was actually the exceptional case, lasting 6 years!
Well, I was referring to the exceptional development time for Windows Vista...
Which at the same time, as you said, has allowed XP to last 6 years without a successor.

Quote from: "Tsubashi"Thus they increased devel. time to larger than ever before. What they did with the time, we'll never know, as vista doesn't sport a whole lot of new useful things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_Vista

tl:dr:
Until 2005, Microsoft developed Longhorn as a bridge between XP and "blackcomb". It was not expected to be a huge leap. But then, they kept adding and adding features, and suddenly the project had no clear objective. So they reset  Longhorn and started over again in 2005, but now with a clear objective, a newer source code and their most skilled engineers and developers. So the "true" Vista was developed from mid-2005 to the beginning of 2007. But this phase was faster because they used all the new technologies they developed in the "first" Longhorn

Edit: w00t! 555 GE

Tsubashi

There's bias if I ever heard it! Firstly lets think this through. As of yet, most corporations have yet to switch to Vista, so any mainstream hacker will target XP/Server 2003. Secondly, go and read what it is that Apple is patching! Most of the security issues cause, quote, "unexpected application termination" or "denial of service"
Really compromising, eh?
Then lets look at what M$ is patching... wait, M$ doesn't tell you, do they? Well, we know they patched quite a few compromising errors before, and there's whole sites dedicated to tracking windows bugs. So, regardless of the author says, she's exploiting a small detail, and refusing to step back and examine it in context
-Tsu

Bella

And I wonder why some people don't take Windows fans seriously :(