Main Menu

Window Vista

Started by time-time, February 28, 2007, 12:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

I guess you mean "Vienna", don't you?  "Blackcomb" ceased being the codename for that super futuristic OS they claim to be working on.  It might be a good one, though -- if history is meant to repeat itself, then Vista would be to Vienna what ME is to XP.  ^v^;
(Perhaps making Vista intentionally annoying will cause sales of Vienna to skyrocket... that'd be a helluva long-term strategy. ^___^;)

QuoteThat is an option I like C-Chan, although I'm not really for KDE. I'm a GNOME man. www.ubuntu.com

I respect Gnomes.  ^___^

Also like Teachers and Hamsters myself.... -v-

http://www.edubuntu.org/
http://www.xubuntu.org/

But I positively can't get enough of this 'Just Add Water' system either.... ^___^

http://www.knoppix.org/

NejinOniwa

Vienna'd better be good, otherwise microsoft is toasted, burned and thrown out together with tha' ol' toaster machine.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

leetmaster4004

I know alot of people with hardware that Vista can run well with but for most users they shouldent need to spend that much on hardware they wouldent normally need.  The DRM issues arent fun either, ive been hearing alot of problems relating to it. I work at a shop fixing systems and the people with Vista have been SOL the last few months.

Bella

I saw my friend's new HP laptop (this thing was SHARP, BTW! 17'' screen, camera, microphone.)  Anyhoo, it was running Vista. Although he likes it, he also was annoyed by the constant popups and blockings. There's a lot less control over the system than with XP.

QuoteI guess you mean "Vienna", don't you? "Blackcomb" ceased being the codename for that super futuristic OS they claim to be working on.

Gah! Those codenames get me again! Let us from now on call it "the OS that's coming out, sometime between, oh, 2009/13, that's hopefully better than Vista"

QuoteIt might be a good one, though -- if history is meant to repeat itself, then Vista would be to Vienna what ME is to XP. ^v^;

That's what I'm hoping. Otherwise, as NejinOniwa said:

QuoteVienna'd better be good, otherwise microsoft is toasted, burned and thrown out together with tha' ol' toaster machine.

Quote(Perhaps making Vista intentionally annoying will cause sales of Vienna to skyrocket... that'd be a helluva long-term strategy. ^___^

I wouldn't put it past M$...They know they're going to get a ton of $$ off of the new computer sales, anyway...

*C'mon Vienna, you can do it! You can be the new XP!*

NejinOniwa

...also, from what I've seen of prototypes, Vienna-tan/Blackcomb-tan is SUGOI hawtness...

Kami-Tux

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Bella

You know, I think one of the things people don't like about Vista (Besides driver problems, more RAM, more hardware requirements, etc...because doesn't that happen with most new OSs? Baring OS X, perhaps...), is that it's not much of a jump from XP. I mean, people were stuck with the less stable non-NT OSs for years, and then XP came, and suddenly everything seemed a lot better...guess what I'm trying to say is, 98 to ME was maybe a 1 to a 2 on a scale of things. ME to XP was like going from a 2 to a 10. What is Vista? Like a 10, or an 11?

Kami-Tux

IMHO a 9. It restricts the user too much!

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NejinOniwa

Exactly!
And it's absolutely horrible that hardware vendors almost only sell new compies with it...

CaptBrenden

but we all know just about everyone on this forum wasnt horribly bias to begin with ;)
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Bella

I'm not bias (Well, maybe a tad *pats XP*). It's just that (and this is all just my personal thinking) after going from 9x based ME to stabler NT based XP was like going from a cardboard box to a mansion. Vista...is like a mansion with fancier curtains and a much more annoying home alarm system or something (Geez, I need to work on my computer metaphors, don't I?) It's just not as innovative and exciting as XP was when it came out.

C-Chan

I agree wholeheartedly, but it doesn't change the fact that the big M$ is going to discontinue Saseko one way or another.  

The question now is,... what'll you do when Windows Update stops offering security patches, their call centers start thumbing their noses down at you and the stores no longer offer even a hint of XP on their machines (well, that's almost true now).  Releasing a very GOOD Vienna might be your salvation, but given how delayed Vista was relative to XP, you're probably looking at maybe a good 5 year wait.  -.-'

These are questions that many individual users and businesses will have to address, unfortunately sooner rather than later.  '__'

Darknight_88

Quote from: "C-Chan"
The question now is,... what'll you do when Windows Update stops offering security patches, their call centers start thumbing their noses down at you and the stores no longer offer even a hint of XP on their machines (well, that's almost true now).  Releasing a very GOOD Vienna might be your salvation, but given how delayed Vista was relative to XP, you're probably looking at maybe a good 5 year wait.  -.-'

Well... Windows "Vienna" is expected to be released in 2009. Delayed release dates aside, I think it won't be a long wait.

About 2 more months and I will get the chance to buy a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium...

C-Chan

2009?  When Vista was released in 2007?  O__o

I can understand the whole ME/XP example, and I wouldn't certainly discount the possibility that M$ would pull that off again.....

But I feel I'll sprout wings and fly before the day comes they release Vienna in 2009.  Maybe the early beta, perhaps,... then we'd talk.... -v-

Darknight_88

Quote from: "C-Chan"2009?  When Vista was released in 2007?  O__o

I can understand the whole ME/XP example, and I wouldn't certainly discount the possibility that M$ would pull that off again.....

But I feel I'll sprout wings and fly before the day comes they release Vienna in 2009.  Maybe the early beta, perhaps,... then we'd talk.... -v-

Well...95--->98, 98---->ME & 2000
So it'd not be the first time a new Microsoft OS is released after 3 years or less. Vista was an exceptional case.