Any OS-tan comic ideas you want me to draw?

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 23, 2012, 11:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 02, 2019, 05:44:38 PMI don't have a script set up for that yet, but that idea could be the basis of a strip about the limits of dual-booting, and of just how far back can a current OS coexist with an older OS on the same computer. I only used Windows 2000 a few times, but there should be some differences that 2k-tan and 10-tan would argue over.

Very true. In my experiments, 2000 was the only one that worked well enough to be almost practical, even though I had to make a few sacrifices on the 10 side to balance things out (Mostly in terms of controllers; as 10 is held back by being forced to use IDE to maintain compatibility with 2000, since I had trouble getting SCSI or SATA to work).

Goujer (she/her)

I always wanted a 3 or 4 panel of old looking 2K-tan and ME-tan waiting on the steps of a nursing home as XP-tan gets wheel up to sit with them.
Them all sitting there content, looking off down a path at Vistake coming with a walker.

Hālian He/him

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 02, 2019, 05:44:38 PMWith the IRIX-tan and Amiga-tan idea, would it be in the past or the present? I learned from you that they would've had a rivalry back in the 90's because of the 2D vs 3D rivalry, but I need some more details.

Either or... actually hmm, maybe both, showing how their perception of each other has changed?

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 02, 2019, 05:44:38 PMI'd want to include a scene where they all try to take a family photo, but can't stay still long enough to not fight each other, so all of the pictures turn out badly, and the photographer gets too frustrated and walks out. Who do you think that poor photographer would be?

Leopard-tan, perhaps? (the first version of OS X to meet the Single UNIX Specification)

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 02, 2019, 05:44:38 PMI third the idea that the Unix Family reunion would be a lot of fighting! I have a rough idea for how that could be made into a comic. I'd want to include a scene where they all try to take a family photo, but can't stay still long enough to not fight each other, so all of the pictures turn out badly, and the photographer gets too frustrated and walks out. Who do you think that poor photographer would be?

For all your Unix-shunning needs, I highly recommend MERT-tan.

CB Unix might also be a good choice.

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: Goujer on May 02, 2019, 09:29:33 PMI always wanted a 3 or 4 panel of old looking 2K-tan and ME-tan waiting on the steps of a nursing home as XP-tan gets wheel up to sit with them.
Them all sitting there content, looking off down a path at Vistake coming with a walker.

I could draw that, because it reminds me of some other drawings about OS-tans losing their company support, but I have some mixed feelings about it, because it's become established that OS-tans stop aging past a certain point. They can get a lot weaker from a loss of support and losing most of their userbase. What could definitely work is drawing XP-tan crying over losing her support, and turning to ME-tan and 2K-tan for help coping with it. Losing her support would've been emotionally devastating for her because she knew it was going to happen eventually, but XP still has a sizeable following. Didn't Vista lose support before XP? I'd envision that Vistan would be annoyed with XP-tan crying over losing her support if Vistan lost hers before XP-tan did, but that they'd put their rivalry over this aside.

Quote from: Halian on May 03, 2019, 03:54:31 PMEither or... actually hmm, maybe both, showing how their perception of each other has changed?
I'll need some more details about that. How do you think their perception of each other has changed? Because of some indie games being 3D, but a lot of them being 2D and some of those using pixel art styles reminiscent of 80's and 90's gaming, IRIX-tan's and Amiga-tan's 3D vs 2D rivalry could go either way. It could've cooled down after Amiga-tan was happy to see 2D gaming be revived. I assume their rivalry in the 90's was from IRIX-tan thinking that 3D gaming was the future, and Amiga-tan not wanting 2D gaming to be obsolete and forgotten. Their rivalry could've also been sparked again because of the comeback 2D gaming has made.

Quote from: undefinedLeopard-tan, perhaps? (the first version of OS X to meet the Single UNIX Specification)

She'd be a good candidate! I see her as being interested in her Unix heritage, but impartial to all of the branches within the Unix Family, and avoiding their conflicts because her loyalty is to the House of Mac first, and she wants to be an observer documenting history.

Quote from: Bella on May 04, 2019, 12:11:27 AMFor all your Unix-shunning needs, I highly recommend MERT-tan.

CB Unix might also be a good choice.

I don't remember the details for CB Unix-tan, but poor MERT-tan! She'd be a good candidate too, but being in the same room as the Unix Family is dangerous for her! How will they make sure that Unix doesn't try to kill her? I'm surprised that she remains in the Linux/Unix Consortium despite the danger to her. Perhaps the Linux-tans are willing to protect her?

If she will be the photographer while Unix is in the group picture because Unix agreed to not kill MERT-tan (this time?), one of the punchlines could be that MERT-tan looked death in the eyes and lived to tell the story about it!

stewartsage

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 04, 2019, 08:04:32 AMI don't remember the details for CB Unix-tan, but poor MERT-tan! She'd be a good candidate too, but being in the same room as the Unix Family is dangerous for her! How will they make sure that Unix doesn't try to kill her? I'm surprised that she remains in the Linux/Unix Consortium despite the danger to her. Perhaps the Linux-tans are willing to protect her?

If she will be the photographer while Unix is in the group picture because Unix agreed to not kill MERT-tan (this time?), one of the punchlines could be that MERT-tan looked death in the eyes and lived to tell the story about it!

CB's UNIX's bastard daughter from Ohio that was also used in telephone switching applications.  She or Snow Leopard are probably MERT's best friend, maybe both.  My original post with Bells' corrections below it are here.

UNIX probably wouldn't go for her in so public a venue.  How much she actually wants MERT dead is to a degree debatable, but she does want her to suffer.  Being forced to socialize could come under that heading, with of course UNIX-sama's 'blessing' just to worsen her
UNIX related flashbacks.

Aurora Borealis

The Multics + Cray-1 comic has been completed, and is 8 strips long. These first 4 are revamps. The last 4 will be posted later! I started this when I made this thread, but dropped it after page 5 was half-complete, and only up to page 6 or 7 was storyboarded.

Aurora Borealis

The last half of this comic:

Aurora Borealis

I thought up some more ideas to the Unix Family reunion comic. This will be a challenging one to draw because so many characters will be featured, and fighting each other! I'll include as many of them as I can fit in, including the exiled members and the defectors who are there because Unix made made her invitations to the reunion mandatory!

As for who the photographer will be, I decided on MERT-tan for the role, because she's disliked by most of the Unix-tans, and because she has powers that can help her escape their wrath!

The next 3 comics will be simpler ones:
1. DEC Family comic about OS/8-tan's habits and inability to keep track of time.
2. RSTS-tan visits the Vintage Federation; an idea from the previous page.
3. C64-tan wearing a new uniform for a family photo, and accidentally causes trouble for it! This is based off a discussion about what anime-inspired accessory or outfit would she be wearing in the present day?

Bella

Are those some DEC-TANS I see?

*boards hype train*

Hālian He/him

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 08, 2019, 07:07:45 PM3. C64-tan wearing a new uniform for a family photo, and accidentally causes trouble for it! This is based off a discussion about what anime-inspired accessory or outfit would she be wearing in the present day?
A Rilakkuma plushie?

stewartsage

Oh man, I'm glad I finished some (more) siblings for OS/8.  Poly-Question would be all-aboard for dunking on her, thanks to her creator's influence no doubt.  In every publication where he discussed P?S/8 he made sure to dump on OS/8.  That said, it'd be far more loving since, you know, sisters. 

Aurora Borealis

OS-tangent 2 and 3, starring some DEC-tans, with some bonus vintage cameos!

OS-tangent 2:

This strip was based off of the silly question of which OS-tan would be the most likely to make chocolate pudding at 4 AM because she lost control of her life? A reunion of some of the DEC Family (OS/8, VMS, and TOPS-10) who were visiting VAXELN-tan. For the last panel, imagine that they're watching old B-movie that was airing early in the morning!

OS-tangent 3:

RSTS-tan goes to visit the Vintage Federation! Lots of cameo appearances for vintage OS-tans! In panel 2 from left to right: Rainbow 100, Multics, Amiga, PDP-1, TOPS-10, Altair 8800, GS/OS. Like RSTS-tan, Rainbow 100-tan is a wanderer who came over to visit. These strips are based off of RSTS being described as a slow to mature OS, so I headcanoned her as struggling with some basic tasks and being afraid of the dark for many years, and PDP-1-tan being proud of RSTS-tan and her skills, but also being the Amazingly Embarrasing Family Matriarch!

The next OS-tangent will be about the Commodore Family, and will be 6 pages long. This was a difficult one, but these pages are mostly finished, and I'll post them 1 or 2 pages at a time.

Bella

I've mentioned it before but it's great to see so many of the DEC-tans together! OS/8-tan's crazed pudding-making in the first page made me laugh, as did PDP-1-tan's obvious joy at making her younger relative squirm.

Nice to see the cameos by GS/OS and Multics too - I almost missed them at first!

XPKun2004

So basically, my most upvoted Reddit post is an OS-tan-related post and one of the comments looks worthy of a comic. It is me dating XP-tan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMonkeysPaw/comments/cow00o/i_wish_that_windows_xp_became_sentient_and_became/ewmcegl/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

However, please replace my Reddit username with my first name (Jay).
Also, use my Mii as a reference for my appearance in that comic. The link below is a photo of my Mii.

https://ibb.co/dGph4Kn