IRIX and UNIX birthdays?

Started by Hālian, March 26, 2019, 12:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hālian He/him

Does anyone happen to know what IRIX-hime and UNIX-sama's birthdays (i.e. formal release dates) are? I ask because my google-fu is failing me, and their 0x20th & 0x30th (32nd and 48th, in human numbers) birthdays are next & this year; I would like to commission art commemorating at least one of those.

Hālian He/him

Triplex

IRIX is based on Unix but the only info for the release I can gather is May of 1987. Maybe LGR's video about IRIX can give you some information?
I'm just a guy who uses Arch Linux, wears trenchcoats, and loves girls who are tomboys.

Bella

Unix-tan's birthday is in 1969.

Quote from: undefinedDuring the past few years, the Unix operating system has come into wide use, so wide that its very name has become a trademark of Bell Laboratories. Its important characteristics have become known to many people. It has suffered much rewriting and tinkering since the first publication describing it in 1974 [1], but few fundamental changes. However, Unix was born in 1969 not 1974, and the account of its development makes a little-known and perhaps instructive story. This paper presents a technical and social history of the evolution of the system.
- Dennis M. Ritchie, source

Bella

She doesn't celebrate her birthday per se, but she acknowledges it as being in 1969. The Unix Epoch starts in 1970, and is viewed by the Unices as being the start of their age of dominance.

Unix-tan's birthday != the beginning of the Unix Epoch in the lore of Unix-tans.

stewartsage

I'm with Bells on this. She's born in 1969, and I can't imagine the actual date means much to her.

stewartsage

Also, it took me about five minutes to check quarter century of UNIX. It was July 1969.

http://wiki.tuhs.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=publications:qcu.pdf

Bella

Good find. I seemed to recall it falling sometime in the summer.

Triplex

Unix is old lol, I never really realized how old it is but yet a system that has a design similar to it is pretty good and doesn't fail as often as other OS designs.
I'm just a guy who uses Arch Linux, wears trenchcoats, and loves girls who are tomboys.

stewartsage

It just exchanges them for various other wonky faults!  Technology's wonderful that way.