What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

I got an Asus laptop for school, but am still using my Mac Pro as my main rig. Funnily enough, I've switched to using Windows 7 almost exclusively ... I keep saying I'll go back to OS X as my main OS but the games have kept me on Windows....

LeaflameSD

new (new) rig:

AMD A6-5400K APU clocked @ 3.6Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM clocked @ 1600MHz
XFX Radeon R7 250 Core Edition (2GB GDDR3, core clock 925MHz)
500GB WD Blue Hard Drive
MSI FM2-A55M-E33 motherboard
Some crappy SATA DVD-RW drive

Windows 10 Home x64 Genuine

it can play Left 4 Dead, I guess

Red-Machine

So I've been using a tumb trackball mouse for a few years now, and recently read that they may be worse than regular mice for RSI due to the constant moving of the thumb (like kids getting Nintendo thumb back in the day).  I decided to get a proper trackball instead, and it arrived today.  It's taking a bit of getting used to, but it seems okay so far.  I'm dreading playing games with it, though.

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

You're gonna play games with that thing?!

Nichi

@Red: Nice trackball; definitely fancier than the one I have floating around somewhere

LeaflameSD

I would love to see you wreck some noobz in CS with a trackball :^)

Ghost Member

Quote from: Ye Olde Swagfag on January 29, 2017, 01:17:50 PMnew (new) rig:

AMD A6-5400K APU clocked @ 3.6Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM clocked @ 1600MHz
XFX Radeon R7 250 Core Edition (2GB GDDR3, core clock 925MHz)
500GB WD Blue Hard Drive
MSI FM2-A55M-E33 motherboard
Some crappy SATA DVD-RW drive

Windows 10 Home x64 Genuine

it can play Left 4 Dead, I guess
Lucky you're on AMD because AMD Ryzen and future processors still support w7, w8, w8.1, w10 and Linux.
Intel kaby lake user are been force to run w10. Some intel users already gone Linux.
Although you already run apu and Touko. I just tell that AMD never betray us AMDs or Nanami. ;)

http://www.pcmag.com/news/351565/amd-ryzen-processors-will-support-windows-7
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx

LeaflameSD

@Ghost Member Ryzen supports Windows 7? G.O.A.T already... thing is, I would have to buy a new AM4 motherboard with money I don't have. ;-;

Red-Machine

I heard that it didn't, AMD was no longer writing drivers for it.  Though that doesn't mean you can't use it, it just means support is hit-and-miss with drivers written for older CPUs.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

So, a new revision of 2k-tan the Desktop will happen sometime soon. Here's a rundown of the specs:

Dell Optiplex something-or-other (Circa '12)
CPU: 3.3Ghz Core i3-2120
RAM: 8GB (Initially 0B, reused leftover parts from 2k 1.0)

COST: $10

Mechanically, it's shockingly close to 2k 1.0; a lot of the spare components I've had lying around for the original will work here. I have verified that the motherboard is working, although it didn't have RAM, power supply, or hard drive when I bought it (It being sold on a strictly as-is basis). Sadly, it also didn't include the hard drive brackets, or even a power button; thus, I might price how much all of that stuff is...or I may buy a case on Newegg and ditch this one, since it's a little ratty. Still, $10 for an i3 is a steal, and coming off from an AMD-A4, it's a pretty sizable upgrade.

Only issue is what to call it. It's, of course, the next version of 2k (Internally "2k-tan V1.7"), though given how V1.5 became 2kME-tan, I'm considering something similar (2kXP?)

Nichi

>TFW no 2k

Well, kinda. 2k is still there, but has some performance issues, in addition to strange errors (Windows Update keeps turning itself off, now SeaMonkey claims something's blocking it from updating). While there's not much I can do in regard to the performance, the software side could be easily fixed with a reformat...but I'm considering finally making the next step forward...especially after that Dell I mentioned in the previous post turned out to be a waste of money (I wanted to move the motherboard over to a nicer case that still had a power switch...only to find it uses proprietary Dell wiring for that).

Also, I really want to play A Hat in Time when it comes out (I backed the Kickstarter for it several years back), but on 2k's current setup, I count myself lucky that I can run games as intensive as HuniePop...and I could also probably run PacaPlus </red_bard>

EDIT:
...and so, I bought a used iMac.

Model: iMac (Mid 2011)
CPU: Core i5-2400S (2.5Ghz)
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 500GB

I found one on eBay that is promising; only fault, aside from some scuffs and scratches, is a lack of an OS, but the seller offers a 30-day warranty on it. No cables or accessories, but I have some Mac keyboards and mice in storage that I can use. Now, to consider a name...

LeaflameSD

i own an msi gtx 750 ti now
cool i guess

Nichi

After a long struggle, Fuuka2k-tan is up and running; with both MacOS Sierra and Windows 7 Pro

All that's left is to replace the glass, once I can afford to (Also, note the rainbow Apple logo I put on it):

Goujer (she/her)

I've always wanted an iMac so I could use it as a monitor for my PC with that target display thingy. I dig the sticker and that mug.

I always forget what my graphics card is because I upgrade it once a year with the warranty plan from MicroCenter it might be a 970...

So you guys heard about that there Core i9? They'll range from 10 to 18 cores, that's 36 threads. It makes me feel like my i7 is a piss ant.

Bella

The i9 sounds awesome but how practical will it be for everyday desktop computing, gaming, etc? Aren't most programs poorly optimized/not optimized for that many cores?