Digital Complex: Artwork Thread

Started by CaptBrenden, October 17, 2005, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

right.. well... I didnt really get any of that...  cus i dont really do the vecter thing.. but the idea of doing a picture without a sketch seems crazy.

anyhow... the process will be along the lines of me sketching out the entier issue.  since we both have manga studio there will be no problems with file compatability or anything like that.  Inkage will be done on a seperate layer.  The job I was mentioning was simply to asist in that stage as it will prolly be the longest and most time consuming in the whole thing.  

after that will be toneage and speach bubbles.  If we can find a fluent japanese speaker, the diologe will  then need to be adapted and typed up for them
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Quoteright.. well... I didnt really get any of that... cus i dont really do the vecter thing.. but the idea of doing a picture without a sketch seems crazy.

That's why I always say I'm more a sculptor than an artist.  I first start out with BLOBs of polygions and shape them more or less to something like this....

http://ostan-collections.net/viewtopic.php?p=10599#10599

...then once the rough "sketch" is established, I add, chip away, and reposition till it looks the way I like it.  -v-
I've gotten so used to this, freehanding with raster graphics feels awkward to me now.  ^__^;

Quoteanyhow... the process will be along the lines of me sketching out the entier issue. since we both have manga studio there will be no problems with file compatability or anything like that. Inkage will be done on a seperate layer. The job I was mentioning was simply to asist in that stage as it will prolly be the longest and most time consuming in the whole thing.

If you want, shoot me a sketch of 3.1-sama or something, and I'll quickly ink it for you  to see if you like my work.  Inking (and coloring) is the easiest part for me, but shading and highlighting is the most time consuming.  ^__^'

Quoteafter that will be toneage and speach bubbles. If we can find a fluent japanese speaker, the diologe will then need to be adapted and typed up for them

Definitely low priority, but we can use Google translations for placeholders.

SleepyD

well, well, we seem to be embroiled in a rather artsy discussion.  My past pics have been primarily with Photoshop.  Inkscape has proven to be quite hard for me to adjust to. ^^;

In order for me to get OS/2 in before christmas, I went with a sketch followed by manual inking (yes, with a pen), then photoshop's levels and all that good stuff.

As for cel-shading, I'm not that great at it either. Usually when I try, I end up smudging or blurring something cuz it looks terrible. ^^;

Furthermore, I have a terrible time trying to color things without a graphics tablet.  Especially bg's, cuz I almost always draw those in digitally. (The ones I've done here are a bit of an exception, those bg's  were made when I was having fun with photoshop filters. ^^)

I have no idea what I'm responding to, I'm just talking here ehe ^^

C-Chan

No no, it's fine I think.... ^__^
The poor Captain's DigiCom boards have been untouched for so long, I don't think he means the extra activity.  -v-

Funny how vector graphics have made me the complete opposite of youz guys in all respects.  I have to use the tablet cause Inkscape forces me too (the mouse on my wacom bugs out in the program -- only the pen behaves normally).  Otherwise, mice are more precise and better suited for work in Inkscape (know this through working on it with my laptop and travel mouse).  Unless I'm using freehand vector lines (which I rarely do), the pen ends up being more of a hindrance than a help due to its variable sensitivity.  Anchors are often plotted in the wrong spot or the wrong bezier curves are activated with even the slightest twitch on the pad.  
And the most annoying thing comes when zooming with the pen -- I've been hurled down to 10000x magnification so often, I've grown used to using the keyboard shortcuts instead.  

So clearly both our methods are not without their share of unique faults and merits.  If I do help out the captain, it'd be an interesting test to see just how useful vector art can be in real world applications.  ^^

CaptBrenden

Right well, I can send you something to test on. got a Instant messanger program?  Send me the info in PM.

This is an artwork thread... discussing of techniques and such is exactly what its for. Posting samples, tests, turorials, disscusion.  However the main goal is to improve artwork for Digi Con, so avoid side tangets about custom tans you created or something like that.  Non project artists are welcome to post as well if they have some tips or comments they want to point out.

C-Chan

No instant messenger whatsoever, but don't forget you do have my email address (remember when I sent you those old DOOM WADs months ago?).  Just click on my "email" button or "www" button in each of my posts.  -v-

Added after 1 minutes:

And ME?  Tangents?  @.@

Hohoho,... surely you jest.  ^.^

CaptBrenden

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=48&pos=0

New sketch, gonna start scanning and uploading a bunch of sketches and post them here.