On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

...why haven't I made that connection before? It would make sense for 2k to be a decedent of Xenix. Hurray for making an April Fools joke into something I could get behind for an one-off short story! : D

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on April 06, 2015, 01:10:29 PM
I really don't know why, unless you're upset more over the lack of homushipping. :\

(Since my copy/paste didn't work I'll type a new reply to this here, apologies.)

As I said in my original (now accidentally deleted) post in the Windows 10-tan thread, there are het (and yaoi) ships I like but my standards are much higher. I really have to like the characters and their relationship to support a het or yaoi ship, while I don't need that level of emotional investment to enjoy a yuri ship.

As for het pregnancy/children, the above is also true but it's also shaded by my admittedly extreme views on het pregnancy (fictional or real) - this isn't the place to discuss it but suffice to say the power dynamics/power imbalance inherent to them tends to offput me. Whereas yuri pregnancy/children carry with them no such uncomfortable power dynamics.

Finally there's the matter of subversion; let's face it, sexuality and reproduction are generally viewed through a very male-centered* lens with women being viewed as passive partners and receptacles, by removing males from the equation you're making the radical statement that dudes aren't the center of everything in life.

*I'd argue the more accurate statement here is "penis-centered", but that's another discussion for another time.

Quote from: Winduko on April 06, 2015, 03:59:44 PM
Regardless, both do exist, but homoshipping is far more relevant than hetshipping among the OS-gijinkas in my canon.

I was gonna write something insightful here, but then I realized how complex sexuality is in my particular OS-tan canon and lost the will to. ><

Nichi

TBH, the only canon hetship in my stories would be Rodney x 2k...although even that's up for debate right now, given that one short story I need to finish, where Rodney Ramona has sex with Nichi >w>;

Chocofreak13

@kodomo: i can't seem to find it, but i recall a Simuro Yonkoma (the Homeo Strips) in which 98 says (and i quote) "These candies Yamada gave me are totally addictive."
the strip went on to have SE display hurt feelings over 98 spending so much time with her "new friend" Yamada, so methinks the relationship between the 98s and Yamada is something that boils down the respective artist, if it even exists at all in some canons.

@homo/hetero: while i will agree that there is a lot of power play among children of homo partners vs children of hetero partners, to put that spin on OS-tan to me feels kind of negative. we can make this as positive and inclusive a fandom as we want it to be. think about that.
click to make it bigger

Bella

@Pent: There are actually quite a few hetships I support — just off the top of my head, among my & Stew's -tans I'm fond of CTSS/Selectric, SAGE/FASTRAND, Multics/Emacs, KRONOS/MTS and/or BUIC and/or Multics and IAS/whoever. And Leopard/Selectric if we're counting weird romantically tense friendships rather than ships proper.

@Kari: True. And at least in my interpretation of the OS-tanverse, computer society is matriarchal so it seems unlikely they'd even have those inherent male-female power structures to begin with.

Chocofreak13

tbh a female-centric universe seems canon anyway in the OS-tan world. s'why they lead the household and the menfolk pretty much just do what they're told. the only exception is 2k-kun (and occasionally NT-kun), but then, he's one of the few who are employed/not self-employed.
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I need some help, in my obsession to add OS-tans to every electronic I own I have come across the problem of being unable to find a(n appropriate) PS3 or Mac OS 8 tan/kun wallpaper. Does anyone have any hidden in some long forgotten folder on their computer?

Chocofreak13

the gallery should have a few console-tans under the "Other" catagory. as for Mac, pretty sure 8 was the little kid with the Inner Tube and the Rainbow Hat, and artwork of her is scarce. either dig deep, troll on image sites (a booru, pixiv, kasumi uploader or wakachan), or commission it. :\
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

Thank you.
Yay!

Chocofreak13

aha, that's one of my favourite Kyourou pics. glad you found one you like. ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

After seeing this image (Which I kinda think is shopped, but I lack an iPhone to test), and verifying that is indeed what their website looked like in 1996, I have come to this conclusion:

SCO Unix-tan secretly likes Pizza Hut. Thoughts? :3

Chocofreak13

eh, wasn't there some kind of pizza endorsement deal with a computer company back in the 90's? seems legit to me.
click to make it bigger

Bella

>Implying it would be secret

Pizza is the perfect food for the frivolous litigator on the go!

Nichi

@Kari: I remember Pizza Hut and Sony having a tie-in promo for PlayStation, around the time Stuffed Crust came out; leading to
Crash Bandicoot reminding us to eat the pizza backwards.

@Duko: Neat; kinda reminds me how the official website for Space Jam still exists almost 20 years after the movie came out xD
It's the jamminest website

@Bella: If she ever appears in my story, pizza will be mentioned -w-

...this leaves me wondering what the various -tans would like on their pizzas. Would any of them like pineapple on a pizza? -w-;
(TBH I'm on the fence on if 2k would or not -w-; )

Bella

I'll consider it! I've only ever RPed as fairly obscure OS-tans though (i.e. my characters) so IDK if they'd be able to fit into any RPs you have in mind.