On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: PentiumMMX on March 24, 2015, 09:49:17 PM
Maybe I could explore further into it eventually; I mean, Bella did mentioned a while back that Multics has been resurrected via emulation, so maybe some story on that, elaborating on how death works?

My theories about OS-tan life force and death aren't as well formed as I would like them to be but I imagine as long as an OS-tan's source (which is the genetic blueprint from which they are created) is intact, they can be resurrected.

How this works for hardware-tans (like rebuilt Colossus & WITCH), I don't know.

Chocofreak13

maybe it's something that should be explored with everyone either here or in theories thread. :0
click to make it bigger

Bella

Maybe!

Remember the time C-Chan basically predicted a major plot point of Kill La Kill when he suggested that Linux-tan's suit should represent the GNU Userland (the thing that puts the GNU in GNU/Linux) and be a living entity that gives whoever wears it superhuman powers? Because I do and you should too.

Quote from: C-Chan on November 21, 2007, 10:46:10 AMBut since some sort of personification is required to explain the union between GNU + Linux, I imagined that during the young Linux-chan's early travels she encountered a living suit that would wonder the lands looking for a worthy master (or perhaps waiting for one in some RPG-inspired cave).  Not only does she pass the trials, but she does so using only her wits (in lieu of her then poor strength) and without ever losing sight of her good intentions.  This inspires GNU to the point where It not only cedes the suit to her (you know,... that famous helmet, spear, etc), but It also agrees to accompany her in her travels.  ^^

Before anyone asks: Yes, this is becoming a drawing.

NejinOniwa

Hardware v Software is, in the end, an abstraction. What we're looking at is a case much like a human brain (a physical entity - perhaps several if multiple copies exist) in the case of the hardware entity; the hardware itself fills the same function as the source code of a software-based entity, while also being a functioning node (power source). The software entity, on the other hand, is reliant on both a source (code) and a node, which are separate entities. They can "live" without an active node, as long as a source remains. Since a functioning node also is a source, the opposite is impossible to achieve.
Or to get a bit formulaic, let's have HE represent hardware entities, SE software entities, N node and S the source. D, or dependency, is the sum of conditions that need to be fulfilled for an entity to continue functioning.

Code (Hardware entity dependencies) Select
D(HE)=1NS where S⊂N
Code (Software entity dependencies) Select
D(SE)=1S where S⊂N
To use a more human example, a hardware entity's "brain" is always connected to its "heart". Damage to one of them will result in damage to the other. A software entity, on the other hand, has its vitals disconnected from each other, and is only reliant on its "brain" to keep existing, though it requires power from the "heart" to accomplish anything meaningful. Similar situations to a SE without a N can occur if a HE has a NS that is intact (or if disassembled, more or less "secure" meaning its parts are all there and haven't been scavenged for other uses) but nonoperational; WITCH went through this kind of limbo for several years.

The direct relation between a HE and its node - which supplies it with power - while placing the entity at risk, also lets them enjoy greater amounts of power from a single node than a SE. A single HE node can supply it with a very high percentage of its potential power, and every new node added to the network stacks additively (20%+20%=40%) to determine its new power. A SE on the other hand receives far less power from a single node - due to its more disconnected nature - and additional nodes stack multiplicatively (20%+20%=20%*1.2=24%) to determine new power. This is how HEs like Colossus can be absurdly powerful with only a handful of nodes even when pitted against a SE like Linux, with millions upon millions of nodes at her disposal.

On this topic, "Death" (or "Hard death") for a HE results whenever they are without a functioning or intact/complete disassembled node, whereas an SE requires the elimination of the source code to "Die". However, the limbo state of powerlessness has deteriorative effects on both HE and SE; if left without an active or assembled node for too long, their consciousness will fall victim to corruption, decay, and eventually, "soft death". A "soft dead" entity is just as dead as a "Hard dead" entity if left alone, but can be revived using code alone; something like a very advanced defibrillator in code form, used to stitch their failed source together again, and inject life back into the entity itself.

Reviving an entity from "Hard death" is, as might be guessed, a lot more difficult, and generally carries a lot more risks and side-effects for everyone involved. As evidenced by Colossus, however, it IS possible - if at a staggeringly high price.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Oh my, I really want to type up a proper reply to this when I'm not about to go to sleep, but I like what you're onto here!

By nodes you mean the number of running instances of a hardware / software, right?

NejinOniwa

Not necessarily running, as a node can be inactive or disassembled and still fulfill the dependencies of any entity. An Active Node is what you're describing with that. However, active nodes are the norm.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Goujer (she/her)

Nanami's Twitter is posting again with a #10co in all of her posts.
Not only that but her profile picture is a silhouette of somebody unknown.
https://twitter.com/windows7_nanami

Nichi

Holy bleep on a bleep sandwich, guys! I came up with the best thing evar!

2k is actually a Unix with amnesia! It makes perfect sense in that it doesn't make sense at all beyond it meaning 2k and PDP-11 could go on a colossal cave adventure : D
I'm basically grasping at straws for an April Fools joke this year -w-;

Chocofreak13

Whatever floats your boat, dude. Provided you don't try to edit the wiki with anything original without getting group concensus first.

@pent: does this make the 2k x Sonata pairing incest? :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

#AprilFools -w-;

(Also, not sure; given that OS9 was the last Mac OS Classic build, before they went to Unix-based for OSX. So, some sort of relative? IDK)

Chocofreak13

COUSINS.

KISSING COUSINS.
click to make it bigger

Bella

The Mac OS X-tans and the Mac Classic-tans would be step siblings. Definitely a family, just not genetically related.

Chocofreak13

but, if 2k WERE a Unix, would Sonata x 2k be Incest?
click to make it bigger

Bella

Depends on what your definition of incest is...

If it includes step siblings, yes, if not, then no.

In fiction, at least, I'm not inclined to count step siblings, so I'd say "no".

Nichi

:3
Now I know, and 50% of the conflict is knowledge!
GI DOOD~

Also, I'm seriously tempted to eventually make a short story around that idea, for the lulz. Maybe have CB Unix bust through the wall like the Kool-Aid Man when she senses PDP-11 was about to try and hook up with a different Unix? ^^;