On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

hahahaha, that'd be a buffet. xD

btw, new idea, sorry if it's already been proposed: CP/M-tan (aka DRDOS-tan) was the former lover of Kaypro-tan, but Kaypro's stubbornness and refusal to change with the times lead to the two growing apart and the newly-named DRDOS-tan breaking up with Kaypro. on the other hand, Kaypro refused to give up on what they had, lamenting the breakup and chasing after CP/M (who wasn't even the same person anymore) until the end of her life in the mid-90's. unsure how DRDOS would feel about all this today, if she IS still alive; probably some kind of nostalgic sadness tinged with a little bit of pity.
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 09, 2014, 11:30:13 PM
hahahaha, that'd be a buffet. xD

btw, new idea, sorry if it's already been proposed: CP/M-tan (aka DRDOS-tan) was the former lover of Kaypro-tan, but Kaypro's stubbornness and refusal to change with the times lead to the two growing apart and the newly-named DRDOS-tan breaking up with Kaypro. on the other hand, Kaypro refused to give up on what they had, lamenting the breakup and chasing after CP/M (who wasn't even the same person anymore) until the end of her life in the mid-90's. unsure how DRDOS would feel about all this today, if she IS still alive; probably some kind of nostalgic sadness tinged with a little bit of pity.

DRDOS-tan is still alive, but I like the idea of this past relationship that she regrets losing. She has a track record of abandoning people and regretting it. She abandoned her children for a long time, and especially regrets that one of them (QDOS-tan) suffered for it.

Early in DRDOS-tan's life, IMSAI 8080-tan was her mentor, and may have unintentionally encouraged DRDOS-tan to become a megalomaniac. I never did write anything about this, but maybe DRDOS-tan's tendency to abandon others did start with IMSAI 8080-tan, because CP/M or DRDOS became a popular platform during the 80's, while the IMSAI 8080 lost out to the Apple II and other home computers, and fizzled out by the late 1970's.

Bella

I concur with Aurora. Given DRDOS-tan's personality, it doesn't seem without reason that she'd have been with, and lost, Kaypro-tan.

...but now we need a Kaypro-tan!

Chocofreak13

heh, guess it was good timing that i posted this.

@aurora: given you (or one of the founding members, ergo, you) created DRDOS-tan, i'm happy to have your blessing on this. also, to clarify, i meant that Kaypro was dead, not DRDOS.

@bells: i figured you'd like this since you're a fan of lesbian science babies.

and i started this mess, i'll make her. one more thing to distract me from making my iphone playlist. xDD;;;
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Chocofreak13

yuuuup, according to the wiki page later version were restructured and released as DRDOS, to keep up with the times.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on December 11, 2014, 07:20:37 PM
Wait, CP/M is DRDOS?

DAMMIT MAN HOW DID YOU NOT KNOW THIS?!

She's also basically the Medic of the DOS-tan community: unintentionally(?) jerkass silver fox who is competent with medicine despite lacking any kind of proper certification/licensing with a history of human OS-tan medical experimentation.

Bella

JAWOHL.

I'm continually tempted to draw OS-tan/TF2 crossovers though. >>

*imagines Leopard-tan in a sharp suit with a cardboard-cutout mask on...*

Nichi

@Aurora: That needs to happen
Bella, do the thing :3

TBH I still want to make an "annoying desktop assistants TF2" team. All I know is Bonzi would be Spy and Clippy would likely be Scout -w-;

Chocofreak13

KAYPRO-tan
aka: Kay Andrews
Born: 1952
Debut: 1982
Ice-Blue Eyes, Silver Hair (was Greenish-Grey until her Debut; initial stress turned it grey)
5' 8" (?)
C Cup
Big Eyes (larger screen than competitors)
Short Hair
enjoys travel, writes novels as a hobby, enjoys word puzzles and video games (though only on her terms)
Strong, industrious, versatile, frugal
eventually learned to read BASIC
has intense hatred for Compaq-tan
was slightly less annoyed by Osborne-tan, Xerox-tan and TRS-80-tan (could read disks formatted by them)
admires apple II and seeks to emulate her
former lover of CP/M (aka DRDOS); became a bit of a stalker
kind of a bitch at times; copied the best features of her competitors so well that she did it better and eventually crushed them under her heel
reveled in her popularity
got quite jealous of CP/M seeing other -tans, and didn't care much for others herself (could have contributed to breakup)
was so slow to accept others that everyone had moved on by that point (1985 was the start of her decline)
began to have mental breakdown after breakup with CP/M in late 80's and decline in popularity; with her "friends" deserting her and her finances in ruins she snapped
pursued MS-Dos as a romantic partner for a short time (on the rebound) but it never went anywhere
fell off the map for a few years but returned, cleaned up and mentally sober in 1999
this was not meant to last, however, and after failing to rekindle her sales or relationship with CP/M (now DRDOS), she committed suicide in 2001
her ghost was rumoured to be drifting about, but hasn't been seen in a few years (Kaypro came back after second failure for a brief stint as "Kay Computers" but the building has changed, the creator is dead and the website is parked)
distant ties to MIT (creator was a 1940 graduate)

any hope of her returning (alive or dead) has all but dried up; she has loyal fans still but it feels more like a cult than true "living"; Andrew Kay, her creator, also died this past August
click to make it bigger

Bella

I really like your design for her! I do wonder why her birthdate is so early. Kaypro was only founded in the 80s, is that a reflection of an earlier company that evolved into Kaypro, or a purely story-related decision?

It's also really sad she committed suicide. :( I don't think there are too many -tans that have died from things other than natural causes (or the Unix Wars). BOS/360-tan might be the only other one, come to think of it.

Nichi

Interesting character; a sad backstory, though :[
(Also, I'd imagine she might have gotten along well with the DEC-tans, given a mutual hate of Compaq...although the DEC's hate of that company came after Kay's fall)
I had this urge to post the obligatory "me as PDP-11, glaring at a Compaq" pic -w-;

Chocofreak13

Kaypro's parent company (that would later become Kaypro as a whole) was formed in 52'. if you'd prefer, she can have a later birthdate, but the latest i'd reccomend is the mid to late 70's since the actual computer development started around that time.

as for her death, i saw her reformation during the 90's a little bit like an addict returning from rehab, sans the addiction. it's more like coming back from a sanitarium to find that everything has changed and everyone has moved on. not having a place left in the world, she couldn't really find much reason to stay.

it also works with the "ghost" theory since, while Kaypro as a name died in 99', "Kay Computers" returned for a brief stint in the early to mid 00's, but is stalled/defunct now.
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

...and this, too. While I care as little as humanly possible about Second Life, just...2k >w>;