Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simonorged

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm

A link for processor temp guide lines

Intel Pentium mobile safely runs at 212 F
Simon was here :P

Bella

@Pitkin: I didn't think 140F was hot enough to shut off my computer, and I sort of confirmed this by throwing a couple of processor-heavy tasks at her. She tends to run in the 130s when playing HD videos, and just a few minutes ago while playing Touhou she was staying, consistently, in the low 140s. Which makes me wonder if 1) She either spiked in temperature before shutting off (that is to say, I didn't even SEE the temperature that shut her off; 140F was just the last one detected by Speedfan) or 2) If Pent's suggestion is correct.

@Pent: Right now I'm seriously considering that it's some sort of battery issue. Although I really don't feel like testing this at the moment, since she seems to be running okay on AC power and I don't wanna upset a good thing. >>

@Kari: You make a good point, and recent experiences seem to confirm that the 140F wasn't enough to shut down Xue. (See above replies.) I'd like you to participate but as you've said, it's probably best to wait until everything with Loly is fixed.

@Simon: I'm bookmarking that guide for future reference, although it doesn't help me right now since it doesn't include Xue's processor (i3). That being said, it's interesting to see how much variation there is between processors.

Nichi

Hope you figure it out soon

As for me, I'm currently typing this from Sara; since Asagi's need of an AC adapter has put her out of commission for the time being. Currently typing this from the (Now unsupported) Camino, while trying to download TenFourFox (A port of current Firefox to PowerPC), while dealing with how much slower Leopard is compared to Mint :\

EDIT: Now on TenFourFox. Forgot how clunky it was on Sara :\

Balrith

I use a Sony Vaio for most things now. Can't really play games on it as it is a cheaper model but it runs Clip Studio Paint well enough and handles videos pretty well.

I'm getting a new Dell Ultrasharp u2412m monitor soon as a secondary monitor to paint with. It's going to be my first ips monitor so I'm pretty excited. Don't really deserve it but w/e gotta spend my summer job pay somehow.

This thread is making me wonder if I should name my computers.

Nichi

Go for it :3

So, my plans on running Linux on my iBook G4 seem to have halted; when I try to boot into Lubuntu, it either pukes up a screen full of errors, or the screen goes completely black, with both ending with me having to turn it off. IDK if my ISO was messed up in the download, my iBook model is somehow incompatible with Linux, or what; all I know is I'm starting to really reconsider Sara's position as my go-to laptop for when Asagi is down, as OSX Leopard is just too damn heavy and there doesn't seem to be many alternative OSes to choose from for such an old Mac :\

Chocofreak13

at some point i'm going to have to ask for my friend claire's help. loly's power button seems to be out of whack. i managed to get her to boot (currently typing from safe mode), but i had to pry up part of the keyboard to move the button into the correct place to get her to do so. i'm kind of afraid to put the keyboard back now. :\
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Running CrunchBang (#!) on my laptop now, probably the first Linux distro that I can actually enjoy using because of the GUI is the most simplistic out of the box I've ever seen a distro.

So far the no problems have been encountered other than that to run steam I have to use wine, which isn't much of a problem because I have to run all vn's through either wine or another application. If anyone is looking for a really simplistic and lightweight Linux distro, this is probably the best one for mobile desktops. Use fedora or debian for desktops/servers if using Linux in my opinion.

Nichi

@Kari: I hope maybe you'll figure something out :[

@Kraus: Sounds nice :3

So, I did finally get Lubuntu to boot on Sara...but the graphics were so garbled that it was unusable. Thus, once I actually have spare spending money and am in the mood for a project, I'll consider getting myself a netbook to fix up and throw Linux Mint onto; to have something small and practical  to take with me to the library and such, while using Asagi for when I know I'll need more muscle.

Chocofreak13

that sounds so nice. maybe i ought to look into a cheap netbook. -w-
click to make it bigger

Bella

I'm molesting Surface tablets at Staples. :>

Chocofreak13

WE'VE LOST HERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *weeps at the loss*

Problems With Loly as of Late
-Power Button is Falling Off
-Slow Boot, even with Faster Boot Option Enabled
-Slow/Lack of Reponsiveness
-Check Disk Detected some Errors, Including some Unreadable Pieces
-Loly Has Given Pop-Up Messages with the Message "Failed to Load Windows Service" or Something like That

Suggestions From OSC
-
click to make it bigger

Bella

TBH, I really like Windows 8 as a tablet OS. The stupid tile start-center thing is 'tarded for a laptop or desktop but it's damn snazzy on a mobile touchscreen device; overall it seems more polished and simple than the interface on iOS or the different flavors of Android. IMO Microsoft should've just marketed Windows 8 as a tablet OS and continued to sell it alongside Windows 7 for laptops and desktops and such.

I'm pretty much a dunce when it comes to fixing Windows computers at this point, so I'll let somebody more competent in that area answer your questions. :(

Nichi

@Bella: Agreed. The interface is fine on a tablet or Xbox 360, but it's dog shit on desktops and laptops

@Kari: I'd say get a new hard drive, as it might be failing...but that wouldn't fix the power button :\

stewartsage

Use the eraser end of a pencil to actuate the starter behind the button?  Katharine's power button is broken too.  I've got to hit it in just the right place or else she won't start.

Chocofreak13

see, pressing the button doesn't always work now, it's as if the contact points have to be kind of "rubbed" together. :\
click to make it bigger