Pokémon General

Started by NejinOniwa, March 12, 2013, 05:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

No$GBA supports Nintendo WiFi if you are playing Pokemon with friends and junk.

Chocofreak13

@nej: is there anything easier? i don't want to have to finagle things to get them to work, i just want them to work. >>;
@pent: well, if you get good, maybe you can fix mine. if you don't, there's a used game store around here that can fix them for us. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Leaf: Cool. Might be tempting to do, to maybe make hacked versions of old Pokémon I had on Blue, and trade them to my actual copy of Platinum *w*

Chocofreak13

oo, that would make it a lot easier to complete a pokedex in a game where getting some pokemon in that region is damn near impossible. (ergo, getting a charmander in hoenn.)
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Quote from: PentiumMMX on April 14, 2013, 12:26:36 PM
@Leaf: Cool. Might be tempting to do, to maybe make hacked versions of old Pokémon I had on Blue, and trade them to my actual copy of Platinum *w*
Though I think it's only 2.4b and up that supports it. And it only supports DS and GBA.

NejinOniwa

Nocash is good and I used it in the past, but I've had issues with it with certain games. I've switched to Desmume since.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

thanks. i'll download it later.
click to make it bigger

SoldierSpence

When I was little, I actually did not like Pokémon at all.  Sure, I did watch my older brother play them, and watching the Anime, but that was about it.  It was not until I got to playing Diamond and HeartGold roughly three summers ago.  Holy Hoppips, I could not believe I missed out on such an amazing series.  Granted, the stories were about as basic as you could get, but the gameplay, music, and strategies is where it really shines.  I was hooked on from there on out, even to this day.  When Gen 5 was introduced, I loved every second of it.  Gen 5's life-span was short, yet fun.

Even though I am not a competitive battler, I can give you tips on how to use Togekiss.

Spoiler: ShowHide
For the moveset, I would recommend the following moves:
1. Aura Sphere- This is not only the best Special Fighting move, but it can take care of any Ice, Rock, Steel, Dark, and Normal types.  It never misses, which is a huge plus if your opponent is spamming Double Team.  A Move Tutor is required to have this move.
2. Air Slash- It not only gets STAB, but it also has a 15% chance of making the opponent flinch.  Works great against, Bug, Grass, and Fight Types.  Once again, a Move Tutor is required to have this on your list.
3. Magical Leaf- This is where things get interesting.  Have Togetic (Togekiss's pre-evolution) learn Magical Leaf via Move Tutor, to help battle against Ground, Rock, and Water Types.
4. Extrasensory or Safeguard- Safeguard to protect the team from status effects.  As for Extrasensory, not only does it have a base power of 80, but it also has 30 Power Points to boot.  Plus, it has a 15% percent change of flinching the opponent as well.  Works great against Fight and Poison types.  It can either be obtained through the in-game Togepi Egg Event in HeartGold and SoulSilver, or have a Togekiss mate with a Noctowl to have this move on the list.

The key words to this moveset are Type Coverage.This moveset covers 10 (or 11) of the 17 (soon to be 19) types.  With Togekiss having a high Special Attack stat, I would recommend rasing it with the EVs in Special Attack, Defence, and Speed.  Togekiss's abilities are Hustle and Serene Grace.  Hustle increases the user's physical Attack by 80%, but at the cost of accuracy decrasing by 20%.  The other, Serene Grace, doubles the effects of certain moves.  Since Extrasensory and Air Slash have a 15% of making the opponent flinch, that will be doubled to 30%.  This can also serve as an annoyence to the enemy team.
The items of choice would Leftovers, or a Life Orb.  Leftovers to have the Pokémon get a small bit of health back after each turn.  The Life Orb to have the power of attacks increase by 30%, at the cost of a small bit of health.

How did I know all of this?  For one, this took some planning out for when I have a Tokekiss on my evental 3rd or 4th playthrough of HeartGold.  Secondly, you can thank The National Dex channel on Youtube and Bulbapedia for the information.

Also, the 19 types I mentioned?  Simonorgred had informed me that Gen 6 is going to have two new types: Light and Sound.  I Light can see working against Dark types, but what about Sound?  What are your thoughts on this, guys?

I hope your ready!

alfonso_rd_30

lovely setup for togetiks

SoldierSpence

Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on April 16, 2013, 02:06:13 AM
lovely setup for togetiks
Thank you.  He also has access to other moves like Rock Smash, Flamethrower, Sky Attack, Shadow Ball, Ancient Power, and Silver Wind, just to name a few other moves.

I hope your ready!

NejinOniwa

Quote from: SoldierSpence on April 15, 2013, 08:16:42 PM
When I was little, I actually did not like Pokémon at all.  Sure, I did watch my older brother play them, and watching the Anime, but that was about it.  It was not until I got to playing Diamond and HeartGold roughly three summers ago.  Holy Hoppips, I could not believe I missed out on such an amazing series.  Granted, the stories were about as basic as you could get, but the gameplay, music, and strategies is where it really shines.  I was hooked on from there on out, even to this day.  When Gen 5 was introduced, I loved every second of it.  Gen 5's life-span was short, yet fun.

Even though I am not a competitive battler, I can give you tips on how to use Togekiss.

For the moveset, I would recommend the following moves:
1. Aura Sphere- This is not only the best Special Fighting move, but it can take care of any Ice, Rock, Steel, Dark, and Normal types.  It never misses, which is a huge plus if your opponent is spamming Double Team.  A Move Tutor is required to have this move.
2. Air Slash- It not only gets STAB, but it also has a 15% chance of making the opponent flinch.  Works great against, Bug, Grass, and Fight Types.  Once again, a Move Tutor is required to have this on your list.
3. Magical Leaf- This is where things get interesting.  Have Togetic (Togekiss's pre-evolution) learn Magical Leaf via Move Tutor, to help battle against Ground, Rock, and Water Types.
4. Extrasensory or Safeguard- Safeguard to protect the team from status effects.  As for Extrasensory, not only does it have a base power of 80, but it also has 30 Power Points to boot.  Plus, it has a 15% percent change of flinching the opponent as well.  Works great against Fight and Poison types.  It can either be obtained through the in-game Togepi Egg Event in HeartGold and SoulSilver, or have a Togekiss mate with a Noctowl to have this move on the list.

The key words to this moveset are Type Coverage.This moveset covers 10 (or 11) of the 17 (soon to be 19) types.  With Togekiss having a high Special Attack stat, I would recommend rasing it with the EVs in Special Attack, Defence, and Speed.  Togekiss's abilities are Hustle and Serene Grace.  Hustle increases the user's physical Attack by 80%, but at the cost of accuracy decrasing by 20%.  The other, Serene Grace, doubles the effects of certain moves.  Since Extrasensory and Air Slash have a 15% of making the opponent flinch, that will be doubled to 30%.  This can also serve as an annoyence to the enemy team.
The items of choice would Leftovers, or a Life Orb.  Leftovers to have the Pokémon get a small bit of health back after each turn.  The Life Orb to have the power of attacks increase by 30%, at the cost of a small bit of health.

How did I know all of this?  For one, this took some planning out for when I have a Tokekiss on my evental 3rd or 4th playthrough of HeartGold.  Secondly, you can thank The National Dex channel on Youtube and Bulbapedia for the information.

Also, the 19 types I mentioned?  Simonorgred had informed me that Gen 6 is going to have two new types: Light and Sound.  I Light can see working against Dark types, but what about Sound?  What are your thoughts on this, guys?

Light/Sound? Not likely, in my book. So far that's all speculation, which goes for pretty much everything that's not included on this page. If it DOES end up happening, though...

That'd be a BIG metagame change going in right there.

Re: Togekiss, you're forgetting something important about him. Namely, his ability, Serene Grace, which doubles the chance of additional effects like Air Slash' flinch occurring (15% becomes 30%). For that reason, some of the best strategies to use with Togekiss involve paraflinching (Paralysis/Flinch move combo); thus, I'd remove Magical Leaf for Thunder Wave (or Body Slam if you're feeling gimmicky) in that set. Aura Sphere is usually too good to pass up on, but it depends on what you're aiming to accomplish if you want to keep it or not.

More importantly, however, Togekiss has access to Nasty Plot, which is a Special counterpart to Swords Dance. Basically, the boosting move every special attacker could only wish they had. Get one or two of those up, and you can sweep through just about anything your opponent throws at you, super effective or not.

If you want a more defensive option, Togekiss has Roost for healing. It also rids him of his flying-type for a turn if you're fast enough, so if you see a slow-moving Electric type on the field you might be able to mitigate a lot of damage.

Extrasensory isn't that bad an idea, but ultimately Air Slash is better since you get STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus, power x1.5) off it. Double flinch moves is more than a bit gimmicky, and why would you need a Psychic type move anyway? You already have Air Slash for fighting types, and Aura Sphere for a shitload of other things. Virtually the only thing you can't get at least neutral hits on is Zapdos, and Emolga if you're playing G5 - basically, Electric/Flying. Shadow Ball and Ancientpower are somewhat viable alternatives, giving nice coverage (Ghost/Psychic types and Flying/Fire/Bug/Ice types respectively, though you already have Bug/Ice covered), and they both have nice secondary effects as well.

Item-wise, Leftovers for defensive sets and Choice Scarf/Life Orb for most of the others. With Life Orb in particular, having Roost is very beneficial.

SoldierSpence

Thanks for the advice.

Any tips on how to use Driftblim?  I know one of the moves required for his moveset is Stockpile.  Coming from personal experience, if you don't have this move- the you're in for quite the pounding.  On top of that, his new and exsclusive Hidden Ability Flame Boost increases his Special Attack stat by 50% when burned, making this living blimp a Special monster.

I hope your ready!

NejinOniwa

Yeah, but deliberately burning yourself is pretty stupid, unless you have Magic Guard or something.

Drifblim is pretty meh, unfortunately. It's got an unique typing, but it's one that gives it a shitload of weaknesses to everything. It's got loads of HP, but meh speed, crappy defense, and as mentioned before bad typing. What it DOES have going for it is a shitload of resistances and immunities, decent attack stats, and two rare abilities that aren't reliant on the Dream World. Unburden is really cool stuff, at least in G5; you load it up with a Flying Gem and Acrobatics, and let 'er rip. Acrobatics doubles in power when the user doesn't have an item; Unburden increases your Speed when you lose your item; Flying Gem increases the power of a Flying-type move once, and is used up, disappearing. On the first use of Acrobatics the flying gem increases its power and you get a shitload of speed, and on the subsequent uses you already have that speed and the power of your attack is doubled by your lack of item.

The rest of the set depends on what you want to accomplish with it - and the above example is hardly mandatory.
Shadow Ball+Calm Mind is a decent combo, and if you throw Substitute and Baton Pass on there you can either set up for a sweep on your own or pass on the bonuses (and maybe a Substitute if you're lucky) to someone else. You could substitute Calm Mind for Stockpile if you're in great need of a defensive stack, but beware that Stockpile only goes up to +3.  There's Thunderbolt, if you want that, and Amnesia in B2W2. If you want a suicide bomber you can always go Aftermath and Destiny Bond/Explosion or some shit. He doesn't have the biggest movepool, but there's enough to go around.

SoldierSpence

Hmm, not bad. :)

Here's a classic set up: Breloom+Poison Heal+Toxic Orb+Facade= You might want to get a pregenency test, because you just got legimatly raped.  Throw Brick Break (or Sky Uppercut), Seed Bomb, Arial Ace, EVs in Attack and Speed, and you've got your self a formula for utter ownage.  Wouldn't you agree?

How about Empolleon, Crowbat and Hitmontop?  Any ideas?

Spoiler: ShowHide
One other thing I forgot to mention about Togekiss, is his Hidden Ability- Super Luck.  As the name implies, the Pokémon has a higher chance of landing Critical Hits.  It works great with moves like Night Slash and Psyco Cut, sense they have a high chance of landing a Critical Hit as well.

Edit: Me and my older brother have been racing Diamond and Pearl ever since the beginning of my school year.  We have finally reached the Elite Four, and have entered a massive grinding session, until we could reach Cynthia and lose to her on purpose.  Aaron's Drapion uses Ice Fang on Rapidash.  And it FREEZES Rapidash for about 7 or 8 turns (I had Hyper Potions)!  How on Arceus does one freeze a FIRE TYPE Pokémon!?  How!?  HOW!?!?!?  This has got to be the most stupidest thing I have ever seen in my entire life!  Even more so then that one time, Simon and I were playing Zelda: Four Swords Adventures: Anniversery Edition, and we found a bomb underneath a flame field in Death Mountain!

OK, I have to say it- I WAS FORZEN TODAY!!

I hope your ready!

NejinOniwa

Ice trumps over everything. :)

And while Poison Healoom isn't bad by any means...
Well, just head over to G5, and I'll have Swords Dance Techniloom have a word with you. Fist-to-face, that is. _W_